Thread: Spy in the blue base!

Blog Entries

Default Spy in the blue base!

Gentlemen, we have a problem.

Warning: its a little violent. If you have a child in the room that is easily mentally scarred for life, don't watch.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-21-2009 at 15:26.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Spy in the blue base!

Presuming its the leaked spy vid?

Almost makes me want to play TF2.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Almost? Why not?
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its too cartoony. I can't play it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Auuuugh-aauh---auuuuuugh!

Get away from me, you insane beast. Out!
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Update is meh. The weapons are great, adds new dimensions to the two pretty straight-forward classes. However, beforehand, weapons were unlocked by getting a set amount of achievements. Now, weapons are unlocked randomly, with no requirement. I got the new Spy revolver, the Ambassador, playing as a Sniper!
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

I love these videos but I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't really that much in-game humor.

Formerly: SwedishFish Member KarlXII's Avatar
    San Diego, California, United States. Malmö/Gothenburg, Sweden. Cities of my ancestors and my favorite places to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Mongoose View Post
    I love these videos but I'm a bit disappointed that there isn't really that much in-game humor.
    Yeah, well, it is designed to gain appeal from non fans. Though I love the fact the Ambassador has the Scout's mother engraved on it.
    HOW ABOUT 'DEM VIKINGS
    -Martok

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I tried to join a game and it seems they've got some (@&(*@&$@ stupid new server locating system, where I can't find out how to filter out all the full games and each game takes an inch of space on the list. WTH was wrong with the last way?

GAH

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Member Member Alexander the Pretty Good's Avatar

You can change it back (should just be a checkbox somewhere).

I miss my university broadband. I get lag every two minutes at home. Usually when fighting pyros.

And the new unlock system is stupid.

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    And the new unlock system is stupid.
    Agreed. It's completely random and doesn't seem to be able to understand you've already earned items, and will thus give you duplicates. I got two items last night, both items I'd already earned. The only silver lining in the new system is that while it can't tell what you already have it won't give you the same thing twice.. so if it gives you the heavy's boxing gloves it (allegedly) wont try to give them to you a second time...

Valve said they are giving duplicates for "item trading" in the future, no idea what it means. But it's taking a lot of the fun out of getting achievements for me. Not only is my heart not into playing sniper or spy, but there's no way to specifically try and get the new unlocks even when I'm not those two classes, either.

I don't think achievement servers (bad though I think they are) were bad enough to warrant this really arbitrary system that discourages planning or going for the neat things in the achievements.

Vindicative son of a gun Member Jolt's Avatar
    Chuck Norris' hand is the only hand that can beat a Royal Flush.
    BLARGH!

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alexander the Pretty Good View Post
    Valve said they are giving duplicates for "item trading" in the future, no idea what it means. But it's taking a lot of the fun out of getting achievements for me. Not only is my heart not into playing sniper or spy, but there's no way to specifically try and get the new unlocks even when I'm not those two classes, either.

I don't think achievement servers (bad though I think they are) were bad enough to warrant this really arbitrary system that discourages planning or going for the neat things in the achievements.
    To me, achievements were a neat idea- the unlocks never were. They just don't work in a game like TF. The classes are each supposed to have their own strengths and weaknesses while balancing out overall. Every new piece of kit they threw into the mix threatened to upset that delicate balance.

New content is great, but I wish they had stuck with new maps and gameplay modes. Oh... and grenades woulda been nice too.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

The Abominable Senior Member Hexxagon Champion Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    To me, achievements were a neat idea- the unlocks never were. They just don't work in a game like TF. The classes are each supposed to have their own strengths and weaknesses while balancing out overall. Every new piece of kit they threw into the mix threatened to upset that delicate balance.

New content is great, but I wish they had stuck with new maps and gameplay modes. Oh... and grenades woulda been nice too.
    Grenades are a bit of a taboo subject for TF2, most of the time when you mention them in game you get people screaming for you to "go back to call of duty"

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Team Fortress 2 is currently on trial on steam.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Grenades are a bit of a taboo subject for TF2, most of the time when you mention them in game you get people screaming for you to "go back to call of duty"
    They worked well enough in TFC.
    ..which is the only reason I mention them. Classes having grenades really seemed to fill out the classes nicely and would probably remedy some of the more annoying crap that people get away with on TF2 now.

Of course, to be effective, they'd have to be mappable to their own buttons- not requiring you to change weapons....(like in TFC)
    Last edited by Xiahou; 05-24-2009 at 09:25.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Valve dislikes the grenades themselves. If you have ever played TFC, you surely must have seen the constant grenade spam that caused everyone to die constantly, without ever accomplishing anything.

Besides, if they gave classes grenades, then the Demoman wouldn't have any purpose left to him.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    No ham, pepsi.
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

Nades worked wonders on Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory. Noone ever complained about them. I was quite the nade expert.
    BLARGH!

Blog Entries

Eh, Grenades are great when your not on the receiving end but in games when you are fighting grenadiers they are annoying and can turn you into a swearing frenzy when it gets really bad.
    Last edited by Greyblades; 05-24-2009 at 23:38.
    Being better than the worst does not inherently make you good. But being better than the rest lets you brag.

Don't be scared that you don't freak out. Be scared when you don't care about freaking out

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    Valve dislikes the grenades themselves. If you have ever played TFC, you surely must have seen the constant grenade spam that caused everyone to die constantly, without ever accomplishing anything.

Besides, if they gave classes grenades, then the Demoman wouldn't have any purpose left to him.
    I played TFC pretty extensively and I can't say I remember grenades being that big a problem. Each player was limited to a very small number so while they were used heavily, it's not as though a player could just sit there and spam them all day long.... for that, you need to be a demo.
    Grenades were really only a secondary point anyhow- I can live without em.

I just don't care for the constant meddling with the gameplay mechanics that all of these unlocks cause. They should've kept things simple- each class should be good at once specialty and have the weapons it needs to do it. I really don't care for the willy-nilly sprinkling around of unlockable weapons.

I really liked TF2 when it first came out, but I've been pretty well turned off of it since then.
    Last edited by Xiahou; 05-24-2009 at 23:48.
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Greyblades View Post
    Eh, Grenades are great when your not on the receiving end but in games when you are fighting grenadiers they are annoying and can turn you into a swearing frenzy when it gets really bad.
    Yeah, it is quite annoying, but provided that it is balanced, noone complains about them. It sucks being in a clanwar where you have to pass through a small gate or hallway, and the defending team is doing "nade spam" (Continually throwing granades) and you can't do much but try to find them and kill them while they are throw the nades. Either that or you risk trying to cross the spot where they are throwing the nade at, and hope none of them explodes on time. If there is a weapon most people complained about in Enemy Territory was the Panzerfaust. It was basically a bazooka that wiped everything on its way. One of the best ever players with it was winghaven. Here's one of his fragmovies where he extensively uses it. You'll probably see a few nade kills. Compare the damage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XWuQwnUJ4E

EDIT: It might be a nice idea to tell you that most ET clanwars are 6v6. Taking that into account, most of his kills take out more then half a team.
    Last edited by Jolt; 05-25-2009 at 00:07.
    BLARGH!

Blog Entries

His sense of music is atrocious but yes that is impressive.

Panzernoob! Panzernoob!

I never played TFC but don't particularly mind not having grenades except as the demoman. Valve wanted to eliminate the ability of every class to get "random" kills by throwing stuff randomly, except for the demoman. I think it works well enough.

And I don't think any of the updates have been balance-breaking. Perhaps balance changing - the medic unlocks make the class a little more survivable but not into some frontline warrior. The Pyro gets some new tools, mostly for ambushing better which is what the class was intended for. The heavy unlocks changed nothing - the natascha is basically an anti-scout spam weapon but not as useful against basically anyone else, the gloves are basically the same as the fists, and the sandvich trades a damage-dealing weapon for a survivability tool. The scout unlocks you might criticize a little, but the bonk juice is only good for distracting sentries, the force of nature isn't as effective as the standard shotty (though it is cool) and the sandman is balanced by eliminating double jump. The really good scouts play without unlocks.

I think it's probably too early to tell how the sniper and spy unlocks change things (stupid new system ) but I don't think they'll drastically change anything. I challenge someone to provide a specific argument where unlocks have changed the ability of a balanced team working together to defeat an unbalanced or uncoordinated team, which is the point of the game.

Talking about ET clanwars, I just stumbled across the legendary entire clan kill made by potter against DSky in the Euro Cup Semi-Final (Basically, it's the Elite Cup), which was the best clan of its day (Before being supplanted by the first dignitas clan, which is the best clan ever to grace ET Euro Cups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prL8...eature=related

3 Thompson kills, then 3 kills from Artillery near DSky spawn and another 2 Thompson kills. In Euro Cup. Against DSky. Whoa, as TosspoT adequatly puts it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGbnbGkrdRw&NR=1

This one is a nice intro trailer to ET.
    Last edited by Jolt; 06-01-2009 at 16:17.
    BLARGH!