Thread: Forming square formations

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Default Forming square formations

I'm in my first campaign as Prussia and I'm having a lot of fun.

So far I've seen some quircks or bugs but nothing game breaking. Austria (my ally for now) has parked two units in my territory for a few years now. Also Polish units had started a 'merry-go-round' wit seperate units not far from the border with me (I've solved that the moment Poland declared war on me).

But the thing that bugged me the most is my inability to form my line infantry in squares. I've researched the tech, I see the button in battle but it stays greyed out when I click on it. Is there something I do wrong?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default Re: Forming square formations

Pardon my impudence, but could it just be that you're trying to organize militia into square formations? They cannot do that drill. Line infantry can.

Another question: are you playing vanilla or some mod?

Still another possibility: could be that the unit you were trying to form into square was partially obstructed by something (a house, for example)? I have never had problems forming line infantry into squares.

Also, try clicking on individual units rather than on several/a group.
    Last edited by Slaists; 05-19-2009 at 19:55.

Blog Entries

Nope, my line infantry show the button but I can't activate it.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    Nope, my line infantry show the button but I can't activate it.
    That's weird. I've never had that problem. Is it consistent even when you reload the game? Have you tried a custom battle?

Robot Unicorn Member Kekvit Irae's Avatar

Do you have ring/socket bayonets? I'm guessing you need them (or at least affix plug bayonets) before going into a square formation. I honestly don't know. I've had the same problem early in my Prussia game, but never later on in the campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Kekvit Irae View Post
    Do you have ring/socket bayonets? I'm guessing you need them (or at least affix plug bayonets) before going into a square formation. I honestly don't know. I've had the same problem early in my Prussia game, but never later on in the campaign.
    That's not the case at least with Russian cossack infantry. The do not have(need) bayonets but they are able to form squares. Same with Ottoman janissary musketeers: they can form squares, but do not have bayonets.

Maybe bayonets is a requirement for the Prussian line.

I'm pretty sure you can form square without bayonet tech as Prussia. Its been awhile since I played early Prussia though.

Only problem is Prussia starts with plug bayonets or at least they did prior to the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by nafod View Post
    Only problem is Prussia starts with plug bayonets or at least they did prior to the patch.
    Oh yea, forgot about that lol.

I guess check the tech tree again, see if you really researched square formation Phill? If you did and reloading the game doesn't work you might want to start a new game.

Just trying to help out:)

Senior Member Senior Member Oaty's Avatar

You also have to have at least 45 men in the unit to form a square any less and the game won't let you
    When a fox kills your chickens, do you kill the pigs for seeing what happened? No you go out and hunt the fox.
    Cry havoc and let slip the HOGS of war

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oaty View Post
    You also have to have at least 45 men in the unit to form a square any less and the game won't let you
    This'll be the problem. I'm playing on (my?) default settings and that only gives me 40 men in my full line infantry unit. Guess I'll have to wait until a next campaign to use the sqaure formation.

Still, this is pretty stupid to not be able to use a certain formation on lower unit sizes. I wonder if other formations are also affected.

Wow, that is bad for CA

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

why does everyone like to play on such low numbers? i would prefer ultra unit sizes and m2-quality graphics over 40 men in a unit and hi-def any day of the week. im more aobut quantity with total war.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Blog Entries

To be honest, I never looked at the unit size. I just let the game chose the best settings and just tweeked them a little bit to get better graphics without to much of a frame drop.

I must admit I was a bit dissapointed about the number of men in a unit being used to playing MTW VI on max settings but I just wanted to see some good graphics too.

you mean m2tw?

if you want to change unit size, go to graphics and select unit size. then go to either large ot ultra. it barely affects your performance unless you have it on uber settings. my ocmputer(from like 2005 or 2004) can run it fine on low everything but detail, animations and unit size

In my campaigns I research square formation before anything else usually. The enemy AI just loves to use its cavalry and a square formation (with or without bayonet) is the best defense against a cavalry charge. After I research square formation then I research the bayonet line. I have found that once you get square formation and fire by rank you can pretty much deal with any situation the enemy throws at you. So I go for those two in the tech tree as soon as I can.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    you mean m2tw?

if you want to change unit size, go to graphics and select unit size. then go to either large ot ultra. it barely affects your performance unless you have it on uber settings. my ocmputer(from like 2005 or 2004) can run it fine on low everything but detail, animations and unit size
    NO, I mean MTW (as in the game in the total war series that came right after Shogun and before Rome) and it's expansion pack Viking Invasion.

I know how to change my unit size but I'm unwilling to do it in the middle of my ongoing campaign as it may disrupt the campaign. I'll do it before I start my next campaign.

But thanks anyway for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Peasant Phill View Post
    NO, I mean MTW (as in the game in the total war series that came right after Shogun and before Rome) and it's expansion pack Viking Invasion.

I know how to change my unit size but I'm unwilling to do it in the middle of my ongoing campaign as it may disrupt the campaign. I'll do it before I start my next campaign.

But thanks anyway for the info.
    i know what it is, but you put:

playing MTW VI
    so you can see my confusion; there is no mtw 6. it is harder for me to think of it as viking invasion then as roman numerals, as i had a latin class earlier this year and i play EB sometimes.

i just had to be safe about the settings thing; some people you have to do that with