Thread: How to Roleplay...?

Klibanophoros Ton Rhomaioktono Member Duguntz's Avatar

Default How to Roleplay...?

ok, let's face it : as sweboz (now, i think everybody on that forum know that I'm sweboz addicted!) in my last campain, i took Rome itself in 236 BC... WAY TOO EARLY! I was wondering how to beat those romans, with their armour, and finally discovered that, offering money to the god Deiwoz can be very scary... for the others... Pillars giving +3 or 4 exp, and +3 moral... in EVERY CITIES!!! so I kicked asses till... no more asses had to ''seriously'' be kicked...None faction are destroyed, but roman are holding in 3 cities, and Aedui the same... and I'm now in 230 BC... i have nearly all Gauls and Italy... and now that none are there to challenge me... I kinda find it boooooring... (yes, for those who will ask, the script is always turn on, and the difficulty is H-M or VH-M I don't remember exactly)

blitzing it was, but my intention it was not and the problem is that I DON'T KNOW HOW TO ROLEPLAY!
    Can someone give me advise how to roleplay as Sweboz (as I'll start over) or just general advises on roleplay would be really nice!

THANKS TO ALL!
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

generously given by Nachtmeister
    generously given by Macilrille for Sweboz combat tactics
    Generously given by Brennus

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Default Re: How to Roleplay...?

Roleplaying is simple, it can range from giving yourself some house rules to make the game more difficult (I have a lot of them myself) to simply looking at your characters traits and incorporating them into how you play the game the game. For example, if you have a cowardly character, make him avoid battle unless you outnumber the enemy at least two to one.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 05-21-2009 at 23:40.

Hallooooo!! is someone there? Member J.R.M's Avatar

You now, i admit that when playing sweboz your killing machine instinct can betray you and make you kill everything that moves. Now on a serious note i recomend you the force diplomacy minimod (if you dont have it already). its very useful for roleplay, for example forgiving those b@st@rds that deny your supremacy by making them your protectorades or who knows, maybe making them pay tributes for you. Also try not to make your FMs grow tired and if you do just make them rest. Im not an expert so ill shut up.

Btw, i dont blame you for making the swebozz rulers of europe so quicly,thats just the way it should be, well unless they go against KH, but thats another matter. SeeYa..

Ahora mas que nunca, FUERZA CABROS!! ¡Viva Chile! Thrash till Death!

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Just try to expand into the land of Makedonia and KH... there you'll learn much interesting fight.....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

EBII Bricklayer Member V.T. Marvin's Avatar

There is a lot of threads dealing with role-playing tips and house-rules. I recommend especially this one and this one. In the latter there is a post by konny (whom I much respect as author of many ingenious house rules which I also use in modified form in my games) speciffically on Sweboz.

If you want a longer game, then disband your whole starting army and sit down in your capital. Around 240 BC, you will be able train cheaper units (without going negative in finance) to attack the nearest villages. Around 220-210 you will rule most of the Sweboz territories and face a more stronger Roman Republic, which has almost limitless armies.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

A logical houserule as Sweboz would be to not go for cities, just the German villages around your starting lands, then no more new conquests. Raid8ing is fine, but no new conquests and no sieges at all until a certain date (historically we are out of EB timeframe before Germanic invaders took the first city).

And by raiding I mean invade, fight any field army you meet, lay siege to a city for a turn, then move on to next territory or home. I think I shall try and use that one myself when I embark on next Sweboz campaign.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by V.T. Marvin View Post
    There is a lot of threads dealing with role-playing tips and house-rules. I recommend especially this one and this one. In the latter there is a post by konny (whom I much respect as author of many ingenious house rules which I also use in modified form in my games) speciffically on Sweboz.
    That was a hell of a houserule! I wonder how we can remember all these when in the fire of action (like, for example, to remember that your FM is ''coward'' in trait, and when attacked or attacking, not to send him first in battle, as I do when I play sweboz) People often say that it's suicide to send charging your Gen. first, but I think that as sweboz, your Gen MUST be the first, in order to keep his title, as those Noble titles were not based on political skill, historicaly, but on Battle prowess...

so, i'll start with those houserules : No army without Gen.

core army of medium infantry (duguntiz, swordmen hat I forgot the name), plus plenty of levy... 1 elite MAX by stack.
    keep the maked up naked spearmen in their region
    TAKE MY TIME!
    But not to contradict Apazlimenjo, I'll conquer Swebozez as early as possible, put in place type 1 gov everywhere it's possible, and only type 4 elsewhere as ''allies'' and put auto-govern on. then sit back in my provinces, holding them till the 190's to begin historical expension made by the Cimbri and Teutones...
    Not having dozens of full-stack! 1 or 2 max.
    Afetr conquest, send back levies from where they come from and disband them...
    and trying to follow the trait of my caracter and roleplay them (wich is not easy but a lot funny, I beleive...

Maybe not as precise as other ones, but I think it's enough roleplay for the first time!
    Opinions are like bacteries : we all have, but it's better to keep them for ourself... (By me!)

Unoffical PBM recruiter person Member /Bean\'s Avatar

The Germans were big on raiding. They didnt have large, standing armies. So every now and again, you could make a large army, enter Gaul, sack a settlement or two, and totter back to Germania laiden with booty. Disband your army, and do whatever the hell yo want. Repeat for years after that.

Later, you may want to raid Italia or someone else. Then, if you get a heroic or ambitious character, try and 'unite the tribes', or make a large invading army to migrate somewhere or somehting. If that ambitious guy dies, and the one after him doesnt look up to the task he performed, let most of the tribes or cities you conquered go back to the Eleutheroi.
    =========================================
    Look out for the upcoming Warriors of the La Tene PBM, a new style of interactive EB gaming rising from the ashes of BtSH and WotB!
    ========================================================
    + =
    [/CENTER]

Oh and of corse, raiding frontiers I have with gauls! never keeping their cities (till the 190's) but still goin on plunder sometime and comingback on the same turn! (that is not only historicaly accurate, but SOOOO DAMN HOT!) That is for the northen provinces as southern provinces (the Chatii) will raid Romans (and the gods will have to help me against those countless AI Roman stack!)

One freedom i keep from all those rules : MY TEMPLES! Viva el dio Deiwos... pilars and more... so basicly, I'll continue to train 4 chevron units with +3 moral in every cities with those temples, even levies are scary!!! just to have fun and not to be utterly destroyed by elite stack of Romans and Gauls!)

Quote Originally Posted by Beanerz View Post
    The Germans were big on raiding. They didnt have large, standing armies. So every now and again, you could make a large army, enter Gaul, sack a settlement or two, and totter back to Germania laiden with booty. Disband your army, and do whatever the hell yo want. Repeat for years after that.

Later, you may want to raid Italia or someone else. Then, if you get a heroic or ambitious character, try and 'unite the tribes', or make a large invading army to migrate somewhere or somehting. If that ambitious guy dies, and the one after him doesnt look up to the task he performed, let most of the tribes or cities you conquered go back to the Eleutheroi.
    Thats really interesting also! Migration! but not before 190, like the cimbrii and teutones! and as for raiding, yeah, I tought about it and I'll do it for sure! to keep the frontier gauls in fear! but there'll be special army, as it's only raiding, it'll be only levies and skirmisher and only some medium, core units...
    Only in Full scale war will i send All the meat I got in their face!

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

just blitz man AI does not roleplay. It wants your blood!

j/k
    I roleplay pahlava as the real successor to Achaemenid Empire so endless battles...
    I do not stop until I revive her. After it, I roleplay internal conflict, interregnum, endless rebellions, then I abandon my forces in Europe, egypt, india even anatolia. Then a new emperor ascends the throne, punishes traitors, keep the internal security then I roleplay like Darius, I attack greek mainland. then even the most enjoyable, I deploy Indian Elephants into Italy.

P.S. An early blitzing strategy is necessary for a good role playing. You need money man, I never cheat so I conquer to have enough money for role play. I never destroy factions instead I role play as an ancient uncle sam.
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 05-22-2009 at 10:06.

My Submods for EB
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Atraphoenix View Post
    just blitz man AI does not roleplay. It wants your blood!

j/k
    I roleplay pahlava as the real successor to Achaemenid Empire so endless battles...
    I do not stop until I revive her. After it, I roleplay internal conflict, interregnum, endless rebellions, then I abandon my forces in Europe, egypt, india even anatolia. Then a new emperor ascends the throne, punishes traitors, keep the internal security then I roleplay like Darius, I attack greek mainland. then even the most enjoyable, I deploy Indian Elephants into Italy.

P.S. An early blitzing strategy is necessary for a good role playing. You need money man, I never cheat so I conquer to have enough money for role play. I never destroy factions instead I role play as an ancient uncle sam.
    Agree! blitzing in early is a must, especially when we're not swimming in money like cartage... So Blitzing all germania and... stay there! Elephants in rome must be quiet funny to see! lol

and I also agree about destroying faction... I never destroy a faction neither... in my current campain, I've been so pissed off when in the first 15 years , Makedonia had been destroyed by Epeiros... I'll never experience those Epic fight against Mak's phalanx!

first 10 turn without blitzing:
    pahlava: - 8000 - 12000
    pontos: - 12000 - 20000
    getai - 4000 - 8000
    saka : I have never gone mad to roleplay with them

the problem is I always keep some units otherwise in VH you commit suicide.
    So at the first phase to blitz for 15 -20 city is a logical .... that you can role play that time you may have a full stucks of levies also you have a chance to lose a battle but if you have less than 5 cities you have no choice to lose.

My Submods for EB
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Duguntz View Post
    Agree! blitzing in early is a must, especially when we're not swimming in money like cartage... So Blitzing all germania and... stay there! Elephants in rome must be quiet funny to see! lol

and I also agree about destroying faction... I never destroy a faction neither... in my current campain, I've been so pissed off when in the first 15 years , Makedonia had been destroyed by Epeiros... I'll never experience those Epic fight against Mak's phalanx!
    You know back in eb 1.0 I made a minimod which allowed factions to survive after their last city was taken. All i did was make every faction horde with levy troops when their last city was taken.

It was cool because the faction didnt make any money but still remained their. So, if I felt like roleplaying a Makedonia civil war, I could just gift a city to them and they would follow suit. Also, taking a final city means you have to fight the civilians who just got kicked out of their homes (like 3 stacks of levies ) Or the levies would "migrate" to a new location and take a weaker city.

I could remake it, was actually thinking about it. I was making it for 1.1 but 1.2 came out near completion so i lost motivation.
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.

In fact 1.2 has some bug fix nothing more change with 1.1.
    Do you have any link to it cos I have modded a lot, ı changed EDU, EDA, EDB, faction names, victory conditions, marian reform trigger, etc. It would be fun especially I wanna roleplay that AS destroys our capital so Pahlav are on the road again.
    Plus, does alex support hording?
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 05-23-2009 at 08:47.

My Submods for EB

Keeper of the Pax Romanum Member TruePraetorian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Atraphoenix View Post
    In fact 1.2 has some bug fix nothing more change with 1.1.
    Do you have any link to it cos I have modded a lot, ı changed EDU, EDA, EDB, faction names, victory conditions, marian reform trigger, etc. It would be fun especially I wanna roleplay that AS destroys our capital so Pahlav are on the road again.
    Plus, does alex support hording?
    Well i deleted the data when i was cleaning up my computer a while back, but I still know how to make it. I am not sure if ALEX supports it, since I do not own it. I know it works for BI.exe though.

If you want to make it yourself just allow every faction to horde and give the "can_horde" trait to some levy units. You also may have to edit some files in the UI to get the button symbol, but I dont think it is neccessary. You do, however, need some files only BI has (afaik). I promise its easier then it sounds.

But hey, if I can get enough support I think I will put out a new one.

Oh and the best part is is that the "destroyed" faction not only gains a few stacks of levy units, they also gain a few new family members if their family is almost destroyed. So, if you defeat the last remaining family member in their last city, about 4 more new members will rise to seize power. Great for roleplay back when I used it.
    The Gods envy us.

They envy us because we are mortal, because any moment might be our last.
    Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed.
    You will never be lovlier than you are now.

We will never be here again.