Thread: Spanish Campaign: An Empire on the brink.

Default Spanish Campaign: An Empire on the brink.

Having completed my Dutch Campaign sucessfully I decided to to take the plunge and try one of the more challenging factions. It basically, came down to a choice between Prussia and Spain, but eventually I chose Spain simply because of the huge problems it posed in terms of its initial set-up.

Spain reminds me a bit of the Imagawa Clan scenario in Shogun Totalwar. They have a huge Empire at the start but its scattered in penny-packets all over the globe and they simply don't have the resources to defend it all. The situation would be made worse by my self-imposed restriction of one unit per trade ship/5th Rate for naval transport.

Added to that they have a drooling idiot as a King and their tech-tree is pretty much empty.

First Attempt.(Hard/Hard)

Well my first attempt went pear-shaped pretty quickly. I tried to hold onto everything, turned Flanders into an armed camp, and made a bid to win the trade race for the Ivory Coast and Brazil. My main investment of resources was in the defence of Flanders and Florida and the purchase of trade ships. Things were going pretty well, I drove off the Dutch and I even managed to capture Georgia from the Cherokee. But, then Portugal stabbed me in the back and as I was trying to deal with that Morrocco annexed Gibraltar and it was clear that the vultures were circling. On Hard mode the diplomatic system is a waste of space and all my allies abandoned me, so I decided to pull the plug and try a different strategy.

Second Attempt(Normal/Normal)

Decided this time to sacrifice territory and consolidate before expanding. So, tried to sell Flanders to the Dutch, but they refused to take it except as a gift. In the end I did a deal with France and swapped it for French Guyana (up yours you clog wearing idiots). Figured it would probably lead to a war between the Dutch and France which might keep them busy whilst I explioted their absence in the Caribean. Sold Lombardy to Genoa at a give away price, and gave Florida back to the indian's. So that reduced some of my territory problems.

The bad news was that the AI in its wisdom decided to transfer my troops from Flanders to Lombardy, even though it wasn't actually mine anymore, so I found myself with a huge army in Italy which I could not use or transport elsewhere.

I had been hoping these troops would give me the edge I needed in Spain to take down Portugal early, but in fact I had to build an army from scratch in Spain. I was almost ready to take down Portugal when Morrocco declared war (gotta love the AI in the game, so logical and well programmed. I can imagine the conversation now 'Hey! guys look I know your muslim and hate our guts, but we want you to sacrifice your country and lives to buy us another 6 months of freedom is that ok? Oh! what you want two goats, I was thinking more of one goat and a chicken.' ) So, the Army of Portugal ended up in Morrocco and whilst it was there Portugal declared war.

Pulled an all nighter last night determined to take down Portugal before I went to bed. Evenutally, did it and I'm now emerging from the chaos to try and refocus my now much larger state on consolidating its economic position. It's now 1704, and hopefully the AI is not going to throw any more pointless speed bumps at me and I can start playing the game sensibly. I'm allied with France so they should be reliable, my main concern are The Barbary States who could be used by the AI to suicide themselves on Morrocco to disrupt my plans, and of course Britain who could be a pain if they decide to go hostile at sea, even though they are at war with France.

Still I think I have a bit of breathing space and I'm hoping to snatch some of the Portuguese Trading Ports in the next few turns.

Damn! Galleons are expensive, but necessary with all the Pirates and Dutch about.
    Last edited by Didz; 05-22-2009 at 15:07.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default Re: Spanish Campaign: An Empire on the brink.

I've started a VH Spanish campaign twice since v 1.02 came out. The latter one of the two I am actually playing through now. In both cases here is how the first turns developed

Turn 1:

1: sold Lombardy to Austria for 6000; Lombardian army teleported to Sardinia (the intent is to move it to Naples later)
    2: I did absolutely nothing in Flanders (just wanted to see how it plays out there)
    3: hire more troops in Florida
    4: got Ottomans to trade with me
    5: Carribean fleet moves to Indonesia (first, dropping off cannon from Cuba in Florida)
    6: Mediterranean fleet guards the first mainland trading harbor from the pirates
    7: destroyed one of the shipyards near Gibraltar to build a trading harbor
    8: build 3 sloops (1 turn build) in Gibraltar (to be able to quickly capture some trade slots)

Turn 2:

1: the Dutch declare war on me; France joins me
    2: Morocco declares war on me; France joins me
    3: French offer to exchange Flanders for Newfoundland + 600 in gold; I gladly accept
    4: the army from Flanders gets teleported to Southern France. There is not much in that army: one can as well disband it
    5: build up of military forces in Florida
    6: switch sloop building from Gibraltar to Newfoundland since the port there is right next to a 'safe maritime journy zone'. But there is another reason for building sloops in Newfoundland: the Inuit. Invariably Inuit declare war in the near future. They can be held off by a single sloop near the landbridge. Since they have no fleet: no worries about the Eskimos for the rest of the game.

In a similar fashion, Portugal declares war very soon; that's the war you want to win asap (and take territory). Once Portugal has been dealt with you're in a good position in the Iberian peninsula. You are likely to have a strong army there that can be used in any way you like. I opted to transport that army to the Carribean and work my way from Curacao to Trinidad to the last pirate stronghold to Dutch Guyana and then finally to French Guyana (which had been occupied by the Dutch). From there, there is one stop: Texas to complete the New Spain mission.

Alternative route: deal with Morocco first. Note though that the pirates become an increasing pain in the later game, disrupting trade and harassing ports and trade is what Spain will rely on for income for quite some time. In my game, I reasoned that taking Morocco would open another land-war (with the Berber pirates) delaying my plans in South America whereas holding Morocco off can be achieved through much cheaper maritime means. I held the Moroccan hordes at bay by a single sloop sitting in the Gibraltar shipyard: the armies seem to be unable to cross as long as the landbridge is in your fleet's sphere of influence. Meanwhile, my Mediterranean fleet would deal with occasional Moroccan galleys harassing trade routes. After some time, I sent a galleon to blockade the Moroccan harbor and stopped their galleys from appearing altogether.

Also, in my game: I stubbornly held onto Florida. This is actually not necessary since it just ties up an army (against Cherokee hordes) that could be used to deal with the Plains Indians (who are likely to capture Mexico if left unchecked) early. The thing with Florida is that it has a lot of potential for the future, but at the start of the game, population is not growing there (even with taxes canceled), it has no harbor (to export plantation output) and the tax income is practically nil. Now that I think of it: it would have made so much more sense to build up an army there; ship it to Texas to deal with Plains' folk and let Cherokees to take the peninsula (for now).

Italian States need a mention too. Almost invariably they declare war very soon (I guess, it's scripted). As I mentioned earlier, the army from Lombardy gets repositioned to Naples and gradually reinforced. For some reason, Italian states do not seem to be eager to do anything about the war they declare as long as there is some resemblance of a Spanish army in Naples. So, I have them at the state of war still in 1735 with both sides doing nothing.

After the grab of the Carribean Pirate strongholds, former Dutch territories + reuniting with New Spain, Spain becomes a monster both militarily and economically and that's, of course, when the game becomes boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Didz View Post
    On Hard mode the diplomatic system is a waste of space and all my allies abandoned me, so I decided to pull the plug and try a different strategy.
    This I have to disagree with. Playing on VH (H too) I am surprised how well alliances hold. I have yet to see an ally of mine to abandon me in a war that I am defending in. France has not abandoned me in my VH Spanish campaign still in 1733 and in my VH Russian campaign the Polish remained my faithful allies all the way to 1775 when I had to go to war with them to get my l last required provinces... In the diplomatic player-AI alliance sense, ETW seems like a huge improvement over the diplomatic system of MTW2, for example.
    Last edited by Slaists; 05-22-2009 at 16:20.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

If I may make a few suggestions for handling Spain in a slightly different fashion.

You first go and get better ministers because as you know your king is crap. Resort the ones you have to the best places and replace the loosers with what ever is best. Make sure all the ministers are used up as the next crop may prove better. Keep a close watch and keep improving your government. A good treasurer makes all the difference for Spain, especially. I also try to tax exempt all regions except Spain to promote growth.

Next you need not abandon any regions. You will be able to make alliances with some of the states in Italy. A state gift may be needed but don’t worry too much. If it takes a gift for the Italian States it is okay, better friends than an attack next turn. They will stay loyal also. A couple of thousand to Westphalia will secure them as a protectorate and give you two avenues of approach should the Dutch go to war…when the Dutch go to war… Also making Savoy a protectorate is not a bad course.

Try to get a trade agreement with Morocco also, and even if it takes a state gift an alliance and trade agreement with Portugal will also help. These are overland trade and won’t count against your port.

If there is any money left some units in Florida would help. If you find you out number the Cherokee in Georgia then attack at once. If the Cherokee loose Georgia they will be glad to make peace, at least for a time. The port in Georgia will come along much quicker than the one in Florida and give you an outlet for your plantations. Until the port is build you need not upgrade those.

It is not a bad idea to replace the military port at Cadiz with a commercial one. Your commercial port should be garrisoned with a single unit and move the rest to Madrid. Take the Mediterranean fleet and send it to the Ivory Coast to secure early trade.

The Caribbean fleet should be left where the Pirates can attack. You can take them defensively as they will likely only use a heavy trade ship. Just take out it’s sails and avoid damage to your own ships. If the attack is too strong then play tag with them and send them packing some place else.

Technology is important to you and it is going to be slow. Your gentleman will only live a few turns so it is best to go for the school upgrade first.

All of this is the first turn! If you find it safe to disband any units in Spain that will not hurt you right away. But if you had rather you can send them to Gibraltar just in cast Morocco gets belligerent.

Second turn you will need to spend on farms and a few troops for Florida and Flanders. If you defeat the Dutch in Flanders when they attack you should be able to take Amsterdam in your turn but it may not be for a few turns. If you can spare the money then some ships there to take care of the Barbary pirates is also good.

That should get you set. Then it is a matter of just taking things as they come. Try to hold or block the Pirate ports in the Caribbean, it helps in the long run.

This method leave you with all your starting provinces and their income vs. selling off land at bargain prices. The peace and trade agreements pay big dividends in the future and I didn’t have an ally back stab me as Spain.

There is no rush to complete your mission and don’t be surprised when Mexico emerges. It seems to happen every game quite early. All it means is after you take Texas you move on to them.

Good Luck!

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Interesting point about the land bridges, bit late for me as I have already taken Morrocco but might come in handy later. Given that troops can't really walk on water I assume these Land Bridges represent troops being carried short distances in rowing boats and a barges so I can see how a single armed sloop would kind of upset that process.

I'm actually Allied with the Italian States in my current campaign but if it is scripted presumbably they will declare war sooner or later.

In my experience the diplomatic system is badly flawed and un-intuitive, although I was quite surprised to get a visit from an ambassador from the Maratha Confederacy last turn actually interested in negotiating a trade deal. First time thats ever happened to me, normally all you get are declarations of war. Now if ever an AI faction actually tries to negotiate a peace deal I shall fall off my chair in surprise.

I sometimes wonder if there are several different versions of this game, because some of you describe things happening that just don't happen in my game. Like factions accepting money to become protectorates. I've offerred my entire treasury, all my technology and my grandmother for a single province before and been told to sod-off by a febble/destitute faction. So, perhaps I missed a patch somehwere ot something.
    Last edited by Didz; 05-22-2009 at 18:07.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

In my campaign (VH/VH) I did it slightly different trying to stay out of unwanted and costly wars if possible. There are three regions that are at risk being attacked and that are very difficult to defend. My aim was to complete the mission to get New Spain asap.

1. I sold Flanders to the Dutch in exchange for Curacao. This solves two problems: I don't have to defend Flanders and I don't have to attack the dutch to get Curacao which is a mission target. So no war with the UP.
    2. I sold Lombardy to the Italian States for an alliance. Naples is your second richest region and is now defended by the pope.
    3. I abandoned Florida since the income from tax is only 50 gold and it has no port. With the three units from Florida and some more I used to get the mission done.

This should have left me out of lot of wars but the AI decided to have some fun so Louisiana attacked New Spain. This caused me to loose France as an ally. The first ten years I had to defeat Morocco, Portugal and France. During this ten years I was able to defeat the Pirates. It then took me five more years to get my army to Texas because Louisiana was blocking the transport and complete the mission. Once the mission is complete develop New Spain and become rich, very rich.

On a side note. Unless you are planning to capture India, an Indian faction is usually my best trade partner.
    Last edited by Monsieur Alphonse; 05-22-2009 at 18:02.
    Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    In my campaign (VH/VH) I did it slightly different trying to stay out of unwanted and costly wars if possible. There are three regions that are at risk being attacked and that are very difficult to defend. My aim was to complete the mission to get New Spain asap.

1. I sold Flanders to the Dutch in exchange for Curacao. This solves two problems: I don't have to defend Flanders and I don't have to attack the dutch to get Curacao which is a mission target. So no war with the UP.
    2. I sold Lombardy to the Italian States for an alliance. Naples is your second richest region and is now defended by the pope.
    3. I abandoned Florida since the income from tax is only 50 gold and it has no port. With the three units from Florida and some more I used to get the mission done.

This should have left me out of lot of wars but the AI decided to have some fun so Louisiana attacked New Spain. This caused me to loose France as an ally. The first ten years I had to defeat Morocco, Portugal and France. During this ten years I was able to defeat the Pirates. It then took me five more years to get my army to Texas because Louisiana was blocking the transport and complete the mission. Once the mission is complete develop New Spain and become rich, very rich.

On a side note. Unless you are planning to capture India, an Indian faction is usually my best trade partner.
    Oh man! Killing the Dutch is so much fun! You get Amsterdam, Curacao goes pirate and Dutch Guyana and Ceylon go rebel. So much real-estate up for grabs when you are ready for it…and if they go to war with France they usually take out French Guyana too.

Mark Twain

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    Oh man! Killing the Dutch is so much fun! You get Amsterdam, Curacao goes pirate and Dutch Guyana and Ceylon go rebel. So much real-estate up for grabs when you are ready for it…and if they go to war with France they usually take out French Guyana too.
    Well, that was my thinking too. Just I achieved it differently. By exchanging Flanders to Newfoundland with French I removed myself from the European Dutch theater just to free my hands for grabbing their territories in South America.

After that move, invariably: either the French or Westphalia take the Dutch out within a few turns... Luckily, France and Westphalia let the Dutch to live long enough for them to grab French Guiana, which subsequently becomes mine

I had even more fun. The French decided to to have a war. So I grabbed France, captured its overseas possessions and let Westphalia take out the Dutch. In the end I controlled almost the entire Americas. At the moment my armies are marching through Central Europe to kill the Poles.
    Tosa Inu

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Alphonse View Post
    I had even more fun. The French decided to to have a war. So I grabbed France, captured its overseas possessions and let Westphalia take out the Dutch. In the end I controlled almost the entire Americas. At the moment my armies are marching through Central Europe to kill the Poles.
    Leave Poland as a protectorate!

They are so much fun to watch…

They are always up to some mischief and it is always fun to see what they do next.

Mark Twain

Leave Poland as a protectorate!

They are so much fun to watch…

They are always up to some mischief and it is always fun to see what they do next.
    Their country should be divided among their enemies . Then we can have a revolution very ten years and all the capitals of Europe full of Polish revolutionaries.
    Tosa Inu