Poll: Which of these factions are worthy of EBII?

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What suggested faction should be in EBII

Default What suggested faction should be in EBII

As I got the the completely useless award for my last thread, here is something for everyone to talk about. What suggested faction/s should be in EBII? There are only 10 slots so go debating. If I missed anything, I am so sorry.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What suggested faction should be in EBII

Finally, a really useful thread... here's a baloon ...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

I shoud mention that a Nubian faction has been ruled out by the team due to culture limit issues, don't think they were too keen on a Mauryan satrap either.

Voted for Syracuse, Bosporans and Numidia. But really, Syracuse is the only one I really really really really really want. Bosporans would be fun too (especially if there are more barbarians up there so they don't go making a baltic empire), while Numidia is needed to spice things up for Carthage.

But would have voted thrice for Syracuse alone, could I have done so ;) it's the only one I seriously care about. Except for that, EB is so perfect, I have a hard time imagining whatever the team might possibly do with the remaining slots???
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

Voted for Syracuse, Bosphorian Kingdom and the Boii. An other gallic faction like the Boii will give the Getai and Sweboz a challenge. I think with the Belgae, Gaul will be over crowded.

Cheers.

Belgae will probably be a buffer faction between those gallic tribes and sweboz.

A crowded gaul and germany would be feasible because that was what they were, a bunch of disunited tribes and confederacies trying to kill each other and stab each other in the back (according to the Romans) until Caesar's Conquest and Vercingetorix' rebellion.

I paticularly like the idea of Syrakousai. Kyrene won't be such a bad thing as well really.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Bastarnae: empty area, with the flavour of a Thraco-German faction. Not a very popular choice nevertheless, people all seem to favour yet another Hellenic faction :(.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by artaxerxes View Post
    Voted for Syracuse, Bosporans and Numidia. But really, Syracuse is the only one I really really really really really want. Bosporans would be fun too (especially if there are more barbarians up there so they don't go making a baltic empire), while Numidia is needed to spice things up for Carthage.

But would have voted thrice for Syracuse alone, could I have done so ;) it's the only one I seriously care about. Except for that, EB is so perfect, I have a hard time imagining whatever the team might possibly do with the remaining slots???
    same, but added nabataea.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Hallooooo!! is someone there? Member J.R.M's Avatar

I voted:
    Syracuse: interesting how it will develope against romans and carthies

Belgae: oh!! i just want more bloody war in gaul, and to see my sweboz armies crushing more enemies.

Numidia: would be interesting to see those carthies with some trouble at the begining

Ahora mas que nunca, FUERZA CABROS!! ¡Viva Chile! Thrash till Death!

Wow. Everyone seems to favour The Belgae, Syrakousai, the Bosporian Kingdom, Celtibera and the Boii.

The winners????

It seems there's a great deal of coherence here. Most people seem (to my enjoyment) to agree that Syracuse, Numidia, Boii and Belgae are perhaps the most needed, to spice things up in their respective areas, and then there are fx the Bosporans, whom we all think it could be fun to try. But I don't think you should count on finding a winner. We don't rule the EB team (or I'd have bloody well forced the Syracusans on them already) so it's just gonna be fun to see this thread in a while, when even more have voted but great idea for a thread really, this should have replaced the 'which factions do you want in EB'-thread long ago
    Moreover, I advise that Syracusans must be added to EB (insp. by Cato the Elder )

Is looking forward to the 2090's, when EB 20.0 will be released - spanning the entire Eurasian continent and having no Eleutheroi - with a faction for every independent state instead. Look out for the Gedrosians, the Cretans and the kingdom of Kallatis!

Well, the winners of the poll will probably be unknown because the poll is indefinite. I know that this thread will do little to change the team's minds but it is good to know what people really want.

Default AW: What suggested faction should be in EBII

I want to see Massalia. I always loved the combination out of greek and celts. Also it would slow down the Romani and Lusotanna expansion if KI controlled. Massaliotai Hoplitai.

Syracousai would be fine too, but afaik there are still problems with sources about their military, which units they used and so on. Make a mix out of Greek Hoplites and Liby-Phoenician units won't do it in my opinion.

A Bosphorian Kingdom, same as Massalia, mixed factions are always fun to play. Thureopherontes Toxotai (Bosphoran Heavy Archers) have I to say something else? A problem is perhaps a too ahistorical expansion into the steppes.

Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Default Re: AW: What suggested faction should be in EBII

Quote Originally Posted by Zett View Post
    I'm seeing that everywhere. Can someone tell me what this means?

Anyone know any possible factions that are not on the poll??

Default AW: Re: AW: What suggested faction should be in EBII

Quote Originally Posted by Alsatia View Post
    I'm seeing that everywhere. Can someone tell me what this means?
    Everywhere? I thought it is just me who continuously wrote this quotation.

It means "Furthermore, I think Rome must be destroyed" and is a modification of Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delednam, a quotation of Cato the Elder. He said it after every speech, even if Carthage wasn't the topic. Ceterum censeo Romam esse delendam.
    Last edited by Zett; 05-24-2009 at 08:07.

Balloon Count: 4

My Greek Nobles:
    from satalexton, his name is Plato
    from satalexton, his name is Sōkrátēs
    from satalexton, his nam is Aristotélēs

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrahim View Post
    same, but added nabataea.
    Finally some love for the Arabian peninsula. A place often forgotten when it comes to history especially in pre-islamic times. Even though it's one of the places with the oldest settlements and a place with very interesting people, art, technology... Sad that it's usually only mesopotamia, egypt, India, China and the classicworld that get all the attention. :(

And the nabatae wouldn't be such a bad choice imo, though I'm not sure if they'd have a decent army especially at the beginning of the game and if they would be able to fend of the superpowers that neighbour it, with a single province and such a probably very light army.
    Last edited by Moros; 05-24-2009 at 22:57.

Voted:

Bosporian Kingdom - an interresting Faction I would like to see.

Bastarnae: more flavour in there area, better then rebels.

Belgae, Marcomanni - more confusion in Gaul and Germania would be nice since thats how they were...

Other: another Nomad faction, you can't get enough of em (i hear there is one in development already)
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 05-24-2009 at 22:29. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Finally some love for the Arabian peninsula. A place often forgotten when it comes to history especially in pre-islamic times. Even though it's one of the places with the oldest settlements and a place with very interesting people, art, technology... Sad that it's usually only mesopotamia, egypt, India, China and the classicworld that get all the attention. :(

And the nabatae wouldn't be such a bad choice imo, though I'm not sure if they'd have a decent army especially at the beginning of the game and if they would be able to fend of the superpowers that neighbour it, with a single province and such a probably very light army.
    well, they chouldn't have too much trouble defending themselves...all they needed to historically was let an enemy march through their territoy, get sunburnt/dehydrated, let them catch al-ramad* from the desert, and then fall on them with hordes of archers, spearmen, and light cavalry...

their equipment I imagine was simple but effective, based on what was found furthur to the south.

besides, even if defensibility wasn't a consideration, I'll sill vote any arabian faction, for certain..ethnic reasons.

*its basically a disease that causes a really nasty version of pinkeye-can even blind people. still common in Morocco.
    Last edited by Ibrahim; 05-25-2009 at 01:36.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

what about Pergamon? or the second largest Germanic tribe. I always felt that Germanics seem a bit lonely up there in the freezing winters of B-F nowhere.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Pergamon is Confirmed to be in EBII, so that has not been included.

I don't know what the second largest tribe in germania is though. The Baltic is preety empty....

Default Re: AW: What suggested faction should be in EBII

Quote Originally Posted by Zett View Post
    I want to see Massalia. I always loved the combination out of greek and celts. Also it would slow down the Romani and Lusotanna expansion if KI controlled. Massaliotai Hoplitai.

Syracousai would be fine too, but afaik there are still problems with sources about their military, which units they used and so on. Make a mix out of Greek Hoplites and Liby-Phoenician units won't do it in my opinion.

A Bosphorian Kingdom, same as Massalia, mixed factions are always fun to play. Thureopherontes Toxotai (Bosphoran Heavy Archers) have I to say something else? A problem is perhaps a too ahistorical expansion into the steppes.

Massilia. That's almost like picking Andorra for a WW2 game over Finland, Hungary or Romania.
    "Debating with someone on the Internet is like mudwrestling with a pig. You get filthy and the pig loves it"
    Shooting down abou's Seleukid ideas since 2007!

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

Andorra?
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 05-25-2009 at 10:31.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

I really like the idea of a North-African nomad faction, but I doubt it is possible to implement such a faction due to cultural limits. Other than that, I'd go for a Pergamum, Syracuse, Yuezhi (I know, they probably won't make it) and perhaps a faction like Rhodos-Halicarnassos to spice things up in Asia Minor. I have to admit I don't know whether there is any historical ground to implement the latter faction.

I'm not against Belgae either, but they don't rank high on my wish-to-see list.
    from plutoboyz

A Belgae tribe would be interesting (you could for a fully Celtic one like the Remi or Bellovaci, but you could also pick a Germano-Celtic one like the Nervii or Menapii - and that last option is a very interesting one IMO).

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Turdetani, Edetani or Ilergetes? I feel no coastal iberian faction will make it...
    oh well there is always the lusitanni or the possibility of some celtiberian tribe

Let pray Syracuse is in at least

Quote Originally Posted by Bucefalo View Post
    Turdetani, Edetani or Ilergetes? I feel no coastal iberian faction will make it...
    oh well there is always the lusitanni or the possibility of some celtiberian tribe

Let pray Syracuse is in at least
    Hmm, I'd put my money on an Iberian tribe as a faction, rather than on a Celtiberian one.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

I'd like to see:

1) Celtiberians (so that the Lusos won't create their super-empire so easily).
    2) Belgae (to spice the things up a little bit in Gaul)
    3) Marcomanni or Boii (so that eastern Europe won't be such an empty space)
    4) Syracusai (sp)

Also, it would be nice to see Numidians, to make things more difficult for Carthaginians in Africa. Mauryan satrap is an interesting idea, but I doubt it will make its way into the game.

Syracuse all the way. If not I think the territory should be given to the Greeks to make it tougher to take!

Belgae would be cool as well, that part of the world should be really chaotic...Also they historically had some naval focus. Be nice to have a faction that contested British isles.
    Last edited by Xtiaan72; 05-26-2009 at 14:13.
    The History of the Getai AAR
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=79451
    Star Haven: A fantasy AAR using Deus lo Vult
    https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=83098

really for Syracuse to work efficiently Sicily must be expanded to say 6 settlements or more to represent how important that region is for all the factions involved and to increase the projected yield per say

I think Celtiberia is a very nice faction, because it's an outstanding addition to north eastern Spain. This way, Lusotania won't be OP, and, if you play Romans or Gauls or even Karthadastim you can count on some difficulties in obtaining that area. Besides, the Celtiberian culture was rather advanced in for example weapons. Those weapons were copied by other civs and used all over the European continent.
    Imperare sibi maximvm imperivm est

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast