Thread: Whoops

Default Whoops

I wasn't sure where to put this since it's not so much a "Bug" as much as it's likely to be a matter of a typo somewhere, but for some reason Rome has the ability to make type II governments all the way North up to Denmark and all the way east to Poland and a little beyond. Now I may be a bit rusty on my Roman history compared to some of the EB folks but I'm pretty damn sure Rome never made it into western Europe that far north.
    All men will one day die, but not every man will truely live.

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

Default Re: Whoops

Roman government placement represents where the Romans may have made regions into provinces had they expanded differently. If Varius had not lost his legions in Germania, all of northern Europe may have been fully Romanized within a century.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

I've always been rather sceptical of that. Something like Denmark and the immediate vicinity of the great rivers maybe, as permanent garrisons in those parts could still have been supplied without truly onerous logistical difficulties by water. But the deep interior, agriculturally unproductive until the widespread adoption of the heavy iron plough over half a millenia later, with lousy communications and full of unruly natives only too familiar with hit-and-run warfare in the trackless forests ?
    No. Just no. Same reason why they never went too deep into the Sahara.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Question Re: Whoops

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusAureliusAntoninus View Post
    Roman government placement represents where the Romans may have made regions into provinces had they expanded differently. If Varius had not lost his legions in Germania, all of northern Europe may have been fully Romanized within a century.
    I thought EB was not about "what-if" scenarios? I am absolutely for "what-if" scenarios, but I just thought the EB team was against that, which is why it induced so many restrictions.

But isn't a century after Varus out of the time frame of EB?
    Completed campaigns:
    Vanilla Carthage
    BI Sassanids
    EB 1.1 Casse

"I don't intend for this to take on a political tone. I'm just here for the drugs."
    -Nancy Reagan at an anti-drug rally.

EB is against "what if" scenerios but also against pushing the game down a "set path" scenerio.

The Roman government resource placement is outdated and may use some changes if rethought. Originally (in v0.7x), the Romans could build Type2s just about everywhere. It was scaled back a bit to cut off the eastern parts of the map.

Remember that government levels mean different things to different factions. For some factions, Type2s are areas closely tied to the culture and military of the faction or even core territories, for the Romans Type2s are Provinces.

Way to go Arminius! I'm a fan of Rome, but that battle was simply genius!

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Just a moment... so only steppe regions that romans can't build type2 ? eng... waht's the military unit that Romans can train in type 2, that type 3 can't?

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

I'm not sure about the exact difference, but here's my guess. Rome can only build her own legionary units and mic's in her government 1-settlements. The difference between a lvl2 and a lvl3 would be both economic (more civil and economic buildings in 2) and military (more local forces in a lvl3 than in lvl2). Not that the romanoi can train many local units on the steppes, but it might make a difference. Given they are capable to conquer the steppes and deal with a nice distance-to-capital-penalty in the first place.
    from plutoboyz

Romans on the steppes. Muahahahahahaha, send 'em on, my boys could use a bit of target practice.

speaking of... why does Rome have to raid the Saban capital? I thought the Romans didn't get past Nabatea.

Quote Originally Posted by kuroiya88 View Post
    speaking of... why does Rome have to raid the Saban capital? I thought the Romans didn't get past Nabatea.
    There was one time the romans landed in southern Arabia and then quickly left. I don't recall the details...

The Arabs insulted them mercilessly in bad Latin from their fortress walls and lobbed a few cows at them ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

Talking Re: Whoops

There was one time the romans landed in southern Arabia and then quickly left. I don't recall the details...
    Wow. Really? Was it during Trajan? I believe it was under him when Romans conquered Petra and the Rocky Arabia (not sure how that region is called in English, but that is what it is named as in Russian books). Fascinating story you have there.

Quote Originally Posted by MerlinusCDXX View Post
    Romans on the steppes. Muahahahahahaha, send 'em on, my boys could use a bit of target practice.
    So do mine OK were are thoose "heavy infantry lovers"?

I think I understand now why the reforms for Hayasdan were added although they never managed to re-unite the full Persian empire...

Just one question: were there or are there any plans for a "reunited Alexander Empire" or "Empire of all Hellenes" for the Hellenic factions? (maybe EBII).
    I know it might sound strange, but it could add to the game - especially for Makedonia, Epeiros, Ptolies and Baktria (becoming Bactrix): They would be able to build Type I goverments in all of the great Hellenic empires Capitals and build there best troops there.... or even be able to train some of their Hellenic adverseries for there armies (Thorakitai Agematos Basilikou (for all Hellenes) Hellenikoi Kataphraktoi (also for Makedonia, Epeiros, Ptolies), Argyraspides (for Baktria ), Thorakitai (for Makedonia), Baktrioi Hippotoxotai (in Baktria and the east only).

I think the AS is the closest to this Idea, but what if one of the Kingdoms really mamanged to unite all of the Hellenes (Like MAA did in his famous AAR)?.... Maybe I have been letting my Imagination too loose lately....
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 06-02-2009 at 20:59. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.

I believe it was under Augustus, when he sent the prefect of Egypt down to modern Yemen in order to explore and/or conquer (details escape my memory). Something about the expedition being purposefully misled by its guide, possibly under payment by the locals.

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/ancient/arabia1.html

That should explain the Roman expedition a little.

Thumbs up Re: Whoops

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvanish View Post

Thanks a lot :
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 06-02-2009 at 21:51.

Is it arguable that the Roman provincial system failed in Germany? I mean that they were unable to establish it there, because it simply wasn't a "Type II"-worthy area?

I know allied states were established in Mauretania (just read that in Tacitus' Annales) and along the Syrian frontier up to Armenia which was never anything like a settled province even for the Byzantines. IIRC there were two tiers of rule in Britannia too, with proper Roman colonies in the SoutEast and dependant tribal centres North and West. Likewise Tiberius put in client rulers in Thrace, but of course all that is just after the EB period.

Anyway my dimly remembered classical studies is not any basis to challenge a decision by the team, they have done a very thorough job on this mod.

I guess if I want to really fancy things up to my liking I can shut up and mod it my own way.
    Last edited by Cyclops; 06-03-2009 at 02:03.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

Quote Originally Posted by Nirvanish View Post

fascinating stuff! I had no idea

Second that! totally agree :D

Way to ignore logistics.

Similar to the original question of the thread, I've been playing as the Romani and noticed I can build a Type 1 government in a city in deep Sahara (will have to look tonight to see which one it is). Is this a bug? If not, why is this considered part of the Roman homeland?

One last quick question (apologies if it's been asked before lots, but I haven't seen it) - I noticed that not all Type IV governments allow recruitment of allied generals. Is there a reason for this? For instance, in Arabia I've had to ship my recruited generals over the Red Sea from the Sudan area.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Deep Sahara?

Did u conquer "Eremos?"

That was desert region, not intended to be captured...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Irenaeus View Post
    Similar to the original question of the thread, I've been playing as the Romani and noticed I can build a Type 1 government in a city in deep Sahara (will have to look tonight to see which one it is). Is this a bug? If not, why is this considered part of the Roman homeland?

One last quick question (apologies if it's been asked before lots, but I haven't seen it) - I noticed that not all Type IV governments allow recruitment of allied generals. Is there a reason for this? For instance, in Arabia I've had to ship my recruited generals over the Red Sea from the Sudan area.
    Question 1- Though I am not sure where they have been found, Roman forts have been found in the Sahara. I'll try and do some research on this today.

Question 2- Have you installed Bovi's fix for recruiting generals? Its been up for a while now and adds a few generals to the recruitment pool of several provinces which were missing the ability.

Thanks to both for comments. It's not Eremos, but I can't remember which one it is - I will look this evening and post a screenshot (I remember seeing it when I played as Romani in v.1.0 a few months ago as well). Also, Nirvanish - do you mean Fix #2 in Bovi's sig, for "missing general recruitment"? The answer is no, but that is because it describes Nomadic factions, which I am not using. The problems are not just in "nomadic" areas (e.g. the Steppes), but all over the place (e.g. Arabia, Africa). Would it help if I installed it?

Update - here is a screenshot of the city in question, which is Tuat. I can build a Region 1 government here, and hence a level 5 native barracks. This doesn't really help me though, since I can't train legions etc here, so is only of use economically. Still, any thoughts? There is also a building of "Victory Conditions (Western Greek)" that I cannot destroy, by the way.

Glad to see the forums back up, by the way - thanks to the people who made it happen :)

Some of the script markers placed in those Saharan cities are in the same building trees as existing buildings. One of those "Victory" buildings is in the same group as the Homeland, Expansion, Alliances buildings. Because of this, it confuses the system and allows for Type1 governments. Just ignore that fact and place what you should be permitted, you won't get much of an advantage for a Type1 there anyways.

I see, thanks for the explanation, I will change it to a Region 2 government to fit in with the neighbouring cities.

Technically it should be only type III and IV gov seein how far south it is.
    All men will one day die, but not every man will truely live.