Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So slow it's unplayable.

Default So slow it's unplayable.

Greetings, fellow RTW lovers!

After reading some positive feedback on others fora about EB I decided to reinstall RTW and try out EB. I downloaded it, installed everything the way I was supposed to do it and booted up the game. I could live with the years it took to actually install the game, but it takes <minutes> to load the game up to the introduction videos? I timed it, and it's at least 3 minutes on my computer. So we move on to actually play a campaign game. I picked Pontus and after what appeared to be ages of loading time again I got to the campaign map. Fun, I'm losing thousands of coins from the get go, but that's okay - I got a big army. After moving some units around, I press the 'end turn' button and bam, that took another minute at least.

Now, my main gripe with the mod is that it makes the game so-incredibly-slow. Booting it up, starting/loading a game, ending a turn and loading battles/overlandmap take years. My question is, is this normal? I have a rig with a 2.80 pentium processor, 1024mb ram and a 512mb video card. I know it ain't good, but it runs Medieval Total War 2 without any problems at all and only with really big battles do I have to turn the unit detail and such down.

Maybe I'll give the game another try if there are decent fixes to be found, but for now I can't enjoy it thanks to the slowness of it all. I'm tempted to move back to Rome Total Realism, though I can't find the last version of it anywhere : <

A RTW lover

Default Re: So slow it's unplayable.

Some people dream of a 1 minute turn time. Some people live with EB with turn times for 3-4 mins (and some even longer). I know for a fact that at least one fan was able to pass an open university course and play EB thanks to his long loading times. While another is now competing in the world's strongest man competition, for the waits allowed him to lift weights and drink protein shakes for much of the day.

On a lighter note, there are no fixes for slow loading times. Such a fix would rob EB of its scripting, its government system, its complicated recruitment, its descriptions, its ...

Foot
    Last edited by Foot; 05-26-2009 at 14:11.
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Well the slow loading times are to be expected... However, after the initial load it never takes more than a minute for loading on my laptop, which ist 2 years old.

If you don't have the patience, then EB is probably not for you. But for 99% of us here, the slow loading times are more then conpensated by the immense depth and uniqueness of EB
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Satalextos Basileus Seron Member satalexton's Avatar

well, let me break it to ya, EB needs a fair deal more system resources to run than M2TW. Try turning every other task off before loading it. And mind, you clearly don't have enough RAM there, as well as CPU power, assuming ur on a single core.

"ΜΗΔΕΝ ΕΩΡΑΚΕΝΑΙ ΦΟΒΕΡΩΤΕΡΟΝ ΚΑΙ ΔΕΙΝΟΤΕΡΟΝ ΦΑΛΑΓΓΟΣ ΜΑΚΕΔΟΝΙΚΗΣ" -Lucius Aemilius Paullus

Europa Barbarorum is more demanding than other mods, also, trust me there is no way RTR can ever come close to EB in gaming and strategy, I played them both, and over the years I fell in love with EB. You cant except an easy ride with no faction in EB, within the first few turns, you must built your economy first.

Cheers.

Get +1GB of RAM; should speed things up. RAM is dirt cheap nowadays...
    I had a similar problem with my machine -
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+, then 1024MB, Radeon9800Pro GPU. With much less RAM than yours.
    I upgraded with another 1024MB system-RAM; now general loading times are much shorter.
    I can still go cook something during loading of the intro video but that is something I only have to do once so I actually DO go cook something after firing the game up.
    Loading always takes long, but that's the price of sheer awesome. EB is sort of "encumbered" because it is packed full of history.

Consider getting the installer for EB with Barbarian Invasion; while it alters the behaviour of the AI, it considerably speeds up the AI turn on campaign map.
    Same goes for ALX.exe if you have it (or so I heard; I don't have ALX.exe myself so I couldn't test it).

I tried a previous version of RTR very briefly - but I prefer to stick with EB because it puts more emphasis on historical accuracy even in battle-details (as far as the engine permits).
    Also, I love the special feel EB has about it; you will only be able to appreciate this if you play it for more than just a few turns and you will have to read unit and building descriptions, year in history announcements etc a lot to get into it. EB imo is not about playing through twenty years in half an hour. Twenty years take me more something like a week or two - and I greatly enjoy it that way. I take a lot of time to thoroughly contemplate every move on the campaign map and I "role-play" my faction a lot; something that is possible due to the trait system of EB, which is extremely intricate and multi-faceted.
    If you prefer "bang, bang, action, MORE BANG, DAKKADAKKA" and the likes and are in a hurry to rush through campaigns, EB will be only "playable" to you on a much faster machine. It's system requirements are much higher than vanilla RTW.
    RTR might be somewhat "faster" on your current machine.
    I am not saying that EB has no DAKKA, however. Only that it takes much computing power to play it like that.
    I can't really do a *comparison* between EB and RTR however because I only played RTR for about three turns and because "comparisons" quickly lead to stupid statements like "X is better than Y". So I have simply posted what I personally like about EB. I hope this, and the recommendation to get more RAM, is helpful to you.

I am honoured to have been presented with my first baloons - - by Ibrahim for tactical observations
    and with my second balloon by Christopher Burgoyne for physical elaboration on the advantages conferred by the Kontos over the Xyston.

Slow load times were more of an issue when we were first releasing the mod and working on it, but at this point I'm surprised that it's much of a concern unless you are on a fairly old cpu. Our high school computers are a few years old and at max had one minute waits between turns (though the initial load time for the game was a little over ten minutes on them).

Xsaçapāvan é Skudra Member Atraphoenix's Avatar

Believe it or not I play with 1024 RAM even on Vista I am happy to have around 1- 1,5 min for each turn end and EB main menu opens around 4-6 mins.
    If you want to speed up: reduce video options. Though It may get you a CTD, do not activate the script if you do not matter the popups that will occur in each turn.
    or try defragmenters, it makes wonders...
    Last edited by Atraphoenix; 05-26-2009 at 15:57.

My Submods for EB
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    My AAR/Guides How to assault cities with Horse Archers? RISE OF ARSACIDS! (A Pahlava AAR) - finished
    History is written by the victor." Winston Churchill

There is a thread somewhere instructing us all in how to speed up our machines. Try a search.

Also, we forgot one thing...

Welcome Fugazi, welcome to a wonderful world of Antiquity nerdness in EB, if you are a history affectionardo, you will love it despite the slowness, EB is slow because it stretches the RTW engine to its absolute limit, and it stretches it because it is crammed full of historical accuracy.

Welcome again to the game and the forum.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

My comp is fast so first loading takes around 3 minutes. Ending turns 1 min or less and loading 45 secs or less. Im used to it, sometimes the loading screen takes even less, then I am angry that I couldnt read the quote. I can wait it, read something, get something from the kitchen, call someone, watch some tv, go to the toilet, or some private business

Anyway, if I have to wait longer to play the best mod ever, its ok with me!

There are a lot of ways to use your time useful, also as you're a new player you can take a good look at the quotes or loading screens.

~Fluvius
    Last edited by Fluvius Camillus; 05-26-2009 at 22:16.
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Quote Originally Posted by fugazi View Post
    Now, my main gripe with the mod is that it makes the game so-incredibly-slow. Booting it up, starting/loading a game, ending a turn and loading battles/overlandmap take years. My question is, is this normal? I have a rig with a 2.80 pentium processor, 1024mb ram and a 512mb video card. I know it ain't good, but it runs Medieval Total War 2 without any problems at all and only with really big battles do I have to turn the unit detail and such down.
    RTW running EB easily eats up about 2GB of its own. There's much more data in the form of traits and units and descriptions and script involved. It doesn't really help that you are using what looks to be Pentium D ?

(As an aside: I think by now the intrinsic value of the gold connectors are worth more than CPU as such.)

Maybe I'll give the game another try if there are decent fixes to be found
    No there are none, and never will be. Lowering system requirements by ripping out features does not constitute a fix (at least in my book). So unfortunately -unless you upgrade some of the PC components/specs- it looks like you will be stuck at very long loading times.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

fugazi, do you happen to play Civilization?

Greetings, fellow RTW lovers!

After reading some positive feedback on others fora about EB I decided to reinstall RTW and try out EB. I downloaded it, installed everything the way I was supposed to do it and booted up the game. I could live with the years it took to actually install the game, but it takes <minutes> to load the game up to the introduction videos? I timed it, and it's at least 3 minutes on my computer. So we move on to actually play a campaign game. I picked Pontus and after what appeared to be ages of loading time again I got to the campaign map. Fun, I'm losing thousands of coins from the get go, but that's okay - I got a big army. After moving some units around, I press the 'end turn' button and bam, that took another minute at least.

Maybe I'll give the game another try if there are decent fixes to be found, but for now I can't enjoy it thanks to the slowness of it all. I'm tempted to move back to Rome Total Realism, though I can't find the last version of it anywhere : <

A RTW lover
    I can only dream of those lightning speeds you get with EB.

I've installed many mods to play when I don't have the time to start EB (less than 2 hours ain't worth starting EB), but all those mods last about 3 weeks until the novelty has worn off.

Eb is worth the wait (+ you can exercise, read, write, learn, do homework and pretty much every other home-activity that doesn't need a computer or constant attention.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

It takes me 40 sec from starting eb shortcut to being in main menu of rtw..
    I also have no complaints about campaign speed..
    If I have many spies scattered than it gets slower but otherwise its fine..maybe 2 sec per faction or something..
    But eb sometimes takes up up to 3.3 GB ram..
    I dont know if that is normal or some kind of memory leak?

Quote Originally Posted by Mediolanicus View Post
    I can only dream of those lightning speeds you get with EB.

I've installed many mods to play when I don't have the time to start EB (less than 2 hours ain't worth starting EB), but all those mods last about 3 weeks until the novelty has worn off.

Eb is worth the wait (+ you can exercise, read, write, learn, do homework and pretty much every other home-activity that doesn't need a computer or constant attention.
    In fact by installing EB you agree to read more history, waiting times are ideal for that. I do it, and work on Turbator Germanium.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

Quote Originally Posted by aelflune View Post
    fugazi, do you happen to play Civilization?
    Yeah, and you're one of the people who reminded me of the existence of this mod

I took notice of the mod years ago while I was still playing RTR daily, but at some point I stopped playing that and moved on. A month ago I picked up MTW2 at a bargain bin and got hooked again. Seeing you (and other people elsewhere) recommending EB I couldn't help myself but try it out. Maybe I'll give it another go and grab some books to read while waiting for turns to finish. Still gotta finish Guns, Germs and steel

Thanks for the feedback, it goes to show that there's a lot of heart for this mod. Maybe I'll grab some extra ram sometime soon. Or just get a new computer, haha.

ps - I'm a history student hehe
    Last edited by fugazi; 05-26-2009 at 19:41.

Still gotta finish Guns, Germs and steel

That's my current EB literature!

Great book! Although you have to keep in mind that it is just a theory and not the absolute truth.

--> - Never near Argos - <--

Great book! Although you have to keep in mind that it is just a theory and not the absolute truth.
    Yes, but it's great food for thought. I got The Dutch Republic and Il Principe laying on my antique wooden desk too ;P

.. and I guess I'll give EB a try next week. I'll try to bump this thread by then with a report on how it was while accepting the slowness of the game (thanks to my crappy computer).

As a History Student he will have learned long time ago that there is no absolute truth. Source Criticism is the foundation of any good historian.

Palle, Ma Hist.
    Last edited by Macilrille; 05-26-2009 at 20:17.

Yeah, and you're one of the people who reminded me of the existence of this mod

I took notice of the mod years ago while I was still playing RTR daily, but at some point I stopped playing that and moved on. A month ago I picked up MTW2 at a bargain bin and got hooked again. Seeing you (and other people elsewhere) recommending EB I couldn't help myself but try it out. Maybe I'll give it another go and grab some books to read while waiting for turns to finish. Still gotta finish Guns, Germs and steel

Thanks for the feedback, it goes to show that there's a lot of heart for this mod. Maybe I'll grab some extra ram sometime soon. Or just get a new computer, haha.

ps - I'm a history student hehe
    Shoot, I've been recognised! :lol: Well, enjoy. Initially, the long loading times were kind of weird, but after a while I got really used to it. Sometimes, I study while waiting

EB Forever...

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    EB Forever...
    Mine, all mine!
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

I think that 'unplayable' is not the right word to use. Unplayable means either tons of CTDs, tons of bugs or bad programming making goals unaccomplishable etc. If that is what you define as unplayable then you seriously need more patience.

EB is not meant to be a light mod, its meant to be the definitive detailed historical mod, and due to that it requires a lot more loading time. If you don't like that then fine, play another mod, but you'd be missing out.

I personally don't notice any slowness at all, although that is partly that I am playing EB on a reasonably good computer while I originally played RTW on my old pc with only 512 RAM and a rubbish video card.

Classical history is interesting. Especially when accompianied by EB.

Quote Originally Posted by madbriton View Post
    I think that 'unplayable' is not the right word to use. Unplayable means either tons of CTDs, tons of bugs or bad programming making goals unaccomplishable etc. If that is what you define as unplayable then you seriously need more patience.
    To be fair, extreme slowness can make it not worth playing. When I started playing EB, I hadn't adjusted to it and found playing to be somewhat inconvenient because it seems to demand a lot of time. I thought I had to play for a long time in one sitting in order to justify the amount of loading time I had to put up with, and I don't always have that amount of time to spare.

But soon enough I got used to it, knowing what to expect, so I simply multitask while waiting. And it turns out that the loading times don't seem all that long now after all. Still, I find it funny when Supreme Commander, which my laptop can barely run, loads a lot faster than EB.

Captain of Team Awesome Member Ignopotens's Avatar

I like to play with my guitar in my lap and just do some picking between turns. Easy way to practice without wearing yourself out on either activity :)
    The Lord of Fire

When I started I two loathed the loading times. Now it is my favorite PC, mostly because of its awesomeness, but I like the load times. I don't watch TV usually, but I'll play with the TV in the background and watch it in between turns, also I read, or do homework while in school. This is the only game where I'm actually sometimes productive when I play, not completely wasting time.

I also find it adds to immersion, you aren't having the 4 hour campaigns of MTW2.

I've got less than 900 mb ram (and no, I don't even consider getting more), and the loading times still take maybe two or three minutes. But I managed to bring down loading times by (1) clearing my entire D-disk (which has some 6 GB for EB, and 33 GB free hard disk space), (2) uninstalling/turning off all programs I don't really need, (3) defragmenting my hard disk.

I remember there was a thread about someone who managed to play EB with some 500 mb if I'm not mistaken. I can't find it right now, but I'm sure it contains dozens of information.

As a sidenote: I do play on huge unit settings, with unit details set at least to the second best.
    Last edited by Andy1984; 05-27-2009 at 04:43.
    from plutoboyz

Yeah, it's a pretty good book. I had it assigned as Summer Reading prior to taking my AP World History Class. I absoloutely love Jared Diamond (Hope to go to UCLA for grad studies, meeting him would be pretty sweet ) However, I found that book just a tad on the dry side. I liked Collapse though, that was an excellent read, and I found it more interesting than Guns Germs and Steel.

Oh and just to keep things on topic: On my old computer my load times used to be way long. I found myself falling asleep in between turns. However that just encouraged me to take my time on each turn, and get absorbed in the Role playing and reading descriptions and such. Opening screen wait times can't be helped. However I will tell you that when I switched to my new comp (2 gigs RAM, 2.8 GHz Dual Core), speed picked up a lot. Now I hardly wait at all.
    Last edited by Owen Glyndwr; 05-27-2009 at 04:52.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

try to run combofix to get rid of malwares..... after that, my EB loading time improve dramatically 1 year ago...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

I also loathed loading times. when I first let EB run, it took 45 min for the first load (). Then waiting for the turns and script advisor was a guaranteed 5 minutes(). But it got better eventually, by clearing my ram of useless rubbish programs (). But then I got a quad cored 4 Gb ram computer on my birthday(). Now loading times are such a breeze. But now I miss reading those quotes and it finishes while i'm halfway through.

Somtimes, your worst curses are really your best blessings.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast