Thread: Naval Campaign Map Movement?

Default Naval Campaign Map Movement?

Do all ships have the same rate of movement on the campaign map, or does this vary by ship type similar to how arty move slower than cav on the map?

I tried experimenting with this recently and got some weird results, though I probably just didn't spend enough time with it. It seems that ships get less movement points the turn they are created in, but that's all I can find out for sure. Othertimes, it seems like all ships move the same on the campaign map. (E.g, Heavy 1st Rates move as quickly as sloops?)

If I wanted to create a medium sized fleet to patrol the trade theaters -- (the fleet would need to move fast on the campaign map) -- what would it be best to compose it of? Or if everything moves at the same rate, should this consideration be based purely on economics & likely adversaries?

Default Re: Naval Campaign Map Movement?

It definately varies but there are a number of factors that influence it, even your Naval Minister has an influence.
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

The ship movement on the map is sort of inverse. The SOLs have the greatest movement and the others move at slower rates.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
    The ship movement on the map is sort of inverse. The SOLs have the greatest movement and the others move at slower rates.
    Ive seen that mentioned before but not actually noticed it myself. Are you sure this is not the result of other factors. e.g. if they were British they might have had topsails or superior naval techs boosting their movement, or their Naval Minister might have been superior.

Just out of interest can anyone think of a way of checking the base movement speed of fleets of different composition. Or is it listed in a data file somewhere?
    Didz
    Fortis balore et armis

The Red Tezcatlipoca Member Xipe Totec's Avatar

On a related subject if I am sending a fleet into the transition zone from Europe to Ivory coast and I order it to India directly, does it get there any quicker than manually moving from Europe to the Ivory Coast, then to Madagascar and then on to India? I think I did it in two turns once with a fleet of fourth rates but I'm not 100% sure. I have often sent Indiamen from Europe directly to India and then back to Madagascar to cop a trade slot, when the pirates are blocking access to Madagascar at the Southern end. As Sweden I even sent tradeships from the Iceland zone direct to the East Indies and Madagascar to avoid some Prussian pirates in the Ivory Coast!
    'I go forth about to destroy ... I am seen in the golden water; I shall appear unto mortals; I shall strengthen them for the words of war!'

Hymn of the High Priest of Xipe Totec.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xipe Totec View Post
    On a related subject if I am sending a fleet into the transition zone from Europe to Ivory coast and I order it to India directly, does it get there any quicker than manually moving from Europe to the Ivory Coast, then to Madagascar and then on to India? I think I did it in two turns once with a fleet of fourth rates but I'm not 100% sure. I have often sent Indiamen from Europe directly to India and then back to Madagascar to cop a trade slot, when the pirates are blocking access to Madagascar at the Southern end. As Sweden I even sent tradeships from the Iceland zone direct to the East Indies and Madagascar to avoid some Prussian pirates in the Ivory Coast!
    Yes normally it gets there quicker than a manual move.

@ Didz

There are always some factors in play but in absolutely every game I have played the SOLs are faster on the map than all of the others.

As the techs increase the difference gets larger. If you want to build one of every ship type and examine it you are more than welcome.

I am unsure if there is a difference between the various types of SOLs. When I checked the 4th rates and 3rd rates moved the same but as to 2nd rates and 1st rates and their versions I can not say but they do move faster than the smaller ships.

4th rates are available from fairly early on and you can check them vs. the other classes if you choose.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain