Thread: Can you play past 14AD?

Question Can you play past 14AD?

Or does the game just end?

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Default Re: Can you play past 14AD?

Yeah, I was wondering that too.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Arrow Re: Can you play past 14AD?

I believe you can. I have seen people playing at 26 AD (EB, but the poor bloke never activated the script, so his turns were twice shorter) , and when you reload games right after a new turn begins, you will be "magically" teleported to 14 AD due to a bug. It is possible to continue after it. I have tried it.

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

my celt campaign on vanilla BI, i've gone waaaaaaaay past the date. i was in the area of something like 490 AD 500 when i discovered EB
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Talking Re: Can you play past 14AD?

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Punk View Post
    my celt campaign on vanilla BI, i've gone waaaaaaaay past the date. i was in the area of something like 490 AD 500 when i discovered EB
    No surprise there. That is BI. The OP was inquiring about EB.

I'm pretty sure you can - 14AD is just the date by which you have to have fulfilled all your faction's objectives. -M
    My Balloons:

I have found that most of the TW games work like that (I carried my first M2TW game on into the 16/1700s. Of course by then I was just trying to get every city with everything built in it, just for kicks. But I did it anyways!)

Not sure about mods though. Why don't you give it a whirl and let us know what happens!
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

in EB? 14 AD? once... my very first campaign in EB... goes beyond 24 AD... played in 4 months...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Captain of Team Awesome Member Ignopotens's Avatar

I believe you can, but the historical updates end there.

Also, I'd be seriously impressed if someone actually did make it that far without achieving his objectives or getting eliminated.
    The Lord of Fire

I am not sure if you can continue a game that ends on a certain date as i have never got that far but You can alter the line( end_date 14 summer) in the file descr_strat to whatever date you want but you have to do it before you start a campaign.

Goth

Quote Originally Posted by Ignopotens View Post
    I believe you can, but the historical updates end there.

Also, I'd be seriously impressed if someone actually did make it that far without achieving his objectives or getting eliminated.
    I could do that. Just make it harder by following a few house rules. Not fighting a war or campaigning without a solid reason, ect. and using H-VH campaign difficulty.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Well the historical uptadates end much sooner. Before 200BC even
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Arrow Re: Can you play past 14AD?

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Well the historical uptadates end much sooner. Before 200BC even
    Yeah, I believe they end right before the Second Punic War begins. Just when they get to the good stuff... Given the percentage of writing about Romans in an average update, it is quite regrettable, although, true Roman fans already know just about everything about the Second Punic War that can fir in those messages.

Vanilla RTW and then EB is what encouraged me to switch from post 1400 CE history to antiquity. Now I read copious amounts of books about Romans and surrounding civilizations during that period. I do not see why other people might not be similarly inspired.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Just conquer Auwjogotanoz (modern Gotland) with a faction, Keep the public order enough, disband all that you dont need, turn off fog of war.

Keep clicking end turn and watch how the rest of the world fights, and eventually you will see for yourself!

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

You do realize it takes 1144 turns to get there?

Loving being a Member Ghaust the Moor's Avatar

Not if script is off

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    Just conquer Auwjogotanoz (modern Gotland) with a faction, Keep the public order enough, disband all that you dont need, turn off fog of war.

Keep clicking end turn and watch how the rest of the world fights, and eventually you will see for yourself!

~Fluvius
    Or, you could conquer Britain with the Casse....
    Likstrandens ormar som spyr blod och etter, Ni som blint trampar Draugs harg
    På knä I Eljudne mottag död mans dom, Mot död och helsvite, ert öde och pinoplats

EB TRIBVNVS PLEBIS Member MarcusAureliusAntoninus's Avatar

If the script is off, almost all of the AI factions will go broke and not be a challenge in the slightest.

The game ends in AD14. You can extend the date by altering descr_strat texts. However, the script will end in AD14. You will go back to two turns per year at that time etc.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Not present a challange? Oh, I remember, they still sent some of their minions...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    Yeah, I believe they end right before the Second Punic War begins. Just when they get to the good stuff... Given the percentage of writing about Romans in an average update, it is quite regrettable, although, true Roman fans already know just about everything about the Second Punic War that can fir in those messages.

Vanilla RTW and then EB is what encouraged me to switch from post 1400 CE history to antiquity. Now I read copious amounts of books about Romans and surrounding civilizations during that period. I do not see why other people might not be similarly inspired.
    they killed my people's golden age and soiled on our memory. labeling us as barbarians and said we didnt wash. even though we invented soap. and most of their weapons and armour.(MAIL!) as a rule... I hate the romans. I've read a bunch about them and to be honest alot of their history bores me, especially the imperial years. an Empire's stagnation is kind of... uninspiring... to say the least. I lose even more interest once Christianity comes into the game. By that whole point you know for a fact you are never going to know what was really happening, so why bother reading it at all? Though the tales of much longer ago are exaggerated and some things may be made up entirely (Josephus?) it's alot more romantic and interesting. Something you can read at night and fall into a dream about. Try doing that reading about Constantine... I'd have a stroke from being extremely bored before I daydream about bringing Christianity to the empire.

the successor wars are very interesting (though I don't know much about them, or own a book about it) and the Greek's golden age is quite interesting as well. I wish my ancestors had the gusto to write things down and I could know lots of things about them... oh well I guess i just have to hope that one day they find the writings of some enlightened Greek or a Celt who learnt to write and had an interest in recording things.
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 05-29-2009 at 22:31.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS

That's "Chopper" to you, bub. Member DaciaJC's Avatar

Though the tales of much longer ago are exaggerated and some things may be made up entirely (Josephus?) it's alot more romantic and interesting. Something you can read at night and fall into a dream about. Try doing that reading about Constantine... I'd have a stroke from being extremely bored before I daydream about bringing Christianity to the empire.
    So... where's your proof/sources/something more concrete than mere emotions?
    + =

3x for this, this, and this

Talking Re: Can you play past 14AD?

To tell you the truth, CP, I am not much of a fan of the Principate either. I do not know why, but it is the Early Republic that interests me the most. Mostly, I suppose, the sense of a struggle for life or death, as opposed to the omnipotent behemoth of an empire. Even Dominate I prefer to Principate as the former involves desperate struggles with barbarian incursions.

For me it's pretty much everything up through the Julio-Claudian Dynasty. I like the early Republic for the reasons Aemilius Paulus mentioned, I like the late Republic due to the massive infighting and naked struggle for power amongst the dynasts and I find the Julio-Claudian Dynasty interesting because of the court intrigue that Graves represented so nicely in "I, Claudius." Once we get past there my interest diminishes a bit, and when the dominate comes into being I start to lose interest, especially with the rise of Christianity. A bit depressing for my tastes. -M
    My Balloons:

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    To tell you the truth, CP, I am not much of a fan of the Principate either. I do not know why, but it is the Early Republic that interests me the most. Mostly, I suppose, the sense of a struggle for life or death, as opposed to the omnipotent behemoth of an empire. Even Dominate I prefer to Principate as the former involves desperate struggles with barbarian incursions.
    Everyone loves an underdog.

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by Frontline1944 View Post
    So... where's your proof/sources/something more concrete than mere emotions?
    how can you prove anything that happened so long ago? i wasn't there. You weren't there. but judging from what we know, and the fact that different sources on the same subject differ constantly, we can assume this. Someone is lying. It is a known fact that history is written by the victor. Don't ask me for sources on something when i really didn't say anything specific, or said something that is generally known. You think everything Homer wrote about Troy was fact? or everything Herodotus said about Persia was all truth? some of it yes... most of it? maybe. All of it? I'm willing to bet not. Can anyone prove that? No. Some historians like to put spin on things, and make their opinion appear to be fact. How can you be so sure something someone wrote thousands of years ago is pure fact and how it actually happened? Vietnam was the first war to be fought without censorship of the free press. What kind of censorship did the News have in ancient Rome? You should have been asking yourself these questions before questioning my post. Infact, when you reply to most of the things I post on this forum, you should ask yourself those sort of questions. All Empires are forged on the skulls of the righteous(not religiously, but righteous in the fact that they fought a defencive war to save their sovereignty.) Those Empires will do anything to keep their people thinking the opposite of that one truth. Propaganda is a powerful tool used by the rich to keep the poor in check.

EDIT: I just re-re-read my post... Everyhting is opinion or general knowledge. And who here doesn't think Josephus wrote his history of the uprising biased for the Romans? If you don't you are a flippin eejit. and should be lined up and shot, lest you be allowed to procreate, and spread your stupidity further.
    Last edited by Celtic_Punk; 05-31-2009 at 22:41.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS

Member Member the man with no name's Avatar

they killed my people's golden age and soiled on our memory. labeling us as barbarians and said we didnt wash. even though we invented soap. and most of their weapons and armour.(MAIL!) as a rule... I hate the romans. I've read a bunch about them and to be honest alot of their history bores me, especially the imperial years. an Empire's stagnation is kind of... uninspiring... to say the least. I lose even more interest once Christianity comes into the game. By that whole point you know for a fact you are never going to know what was really happening, so why bother reading it at all? Though the tales of much longer ago are exaggerated and some things may be made up entirely (Josephus?) it's alot more romantic and interesting. Something you can read at night and fall into a dream about. Try doing that reading about Constantine... I'd have a stroke from being extremely bored before I daydream about bringing Christianity to the empire.

the successor wars are very interesting (though I don't know much about them, or own a book about it) and the Greek's golden age is quite interesting as well. I wish my ancestors had the gusto to write things down and I could know lots of things about them... oh well I guess i just have to hope that one day they find the writings of some enlightened Greek or a Celt who learnt to write and had an interest in recording things.
    Agreed
    My balloons:

Quote Originally Posted by gamegeek2 View Post

Steppe battles are very long, but the wars are short.

Infantry battles aren't as long, but the wars are much longer.

-gamegeek2
    Campaigns completed: Vanilla Julii