Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amsterdam beerbike threatened!

A very, very Senior Member Adrian II's Avatar

Default Amsterdam beerbike threatened!

Local authorities want to outlaw the (in)famous beerbikes in Amsterdam, a cultural institute of prime importance, a proud national tradtion that goes back at least, oh, 15 years.

Why oh why?

I blame ALL of you.

The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Default Re: Amsterdam beerbike threatened!

It looks an excellent way to get around the smoking ban. They should keep it.
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneApache View Post
    It looks an excellent way to get around the smoking ban. They should keep it.
    But of course, that's it! That's why they want to ban the thing. Two sources of joy killed for the price of one.

Bloody maggots.
    The bloody trouble is we are only alive when we’re half dead trying to get a paragraph right. - Paul Scott

Aye we have legions of bansturbaters over here. Right little Hirohitos the lot of them. They should ban themselves. :)
    There are times I wish they’d just ban everything- baccy and beer, burgers and bangers, and all the rest- once and for all. Instead, they creep forward one apparently tiny step at a time. It’s like being executed with a bacon slicer.

“Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy.”

To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticise.

"The purpose of a university education for Left / Liberals is to attain all the politically correct attitudes towards minorties, and the financial means to live as far away from them as possible."

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

What is this machine!? That's... wow... why don't we have those here!?
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II View Post
    Local authorities want to outlaw the (in)famous beerbikes in Amsterdam, a cultural institute of prime importance, a proud national tradtion that goes back at least, oh, 15 years.

Why oh why?

I blame ALL of you.

'Cuz of this?:
    http://www.dutchamsterdam.nl/687-ams...eer-bike-crash

The bike, with eleven women on board, hit the roof of a bike tunnel at high speed.

A beer bike operated by a different company from the one on this news item

Three of the women were ejected by the force of the crash.
    I wanna get the monopoly of beerbike franchise in my town. I may have found my retirement career! :)
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Drunk in charge of a beerbike would look really cool on a charge sheet. :o)

Aye we have legions of bansturbaters over here. Right little Hirohitos the lot of them. They should ban themselves. :)
    That's where InsaneApache and DutchComanche always find common ground. Burial ground for the bansturbators.
    Quote Originally Posted by CountArach View Post
    What is this machine!? That's... wow... why don't we have those here!?
    I rest my case.
    Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    'Cuz of this?:
    Lolz. And I've heard of far more spectacular crashes with the things, too. Straight into a canal. Down the stairs of a subway station. Please, please don't take away our last opportunity for good old dumb, reckless fun.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

We have them in Belgium as well.

Belgium, the last bastion of sanity!
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Drunk in charge of a beerbike would look really cool on a charge sheet. :o)
    Hey, ossifer, I hain't as think as you drunk I yam!

We have 'em in Minnesota and St. Louis, over here, too.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 06-09-2009 at 15:16.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Hey, ossifer, I hain't as think as you drunk I yam!

We have 'em in Minnesota and St. Louis, over here, too.
    Wow... finally, an actual reason to visit the midwest besides baseball and corn!

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    :D
    Damnit, I miss the smilies.

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

place is becomming boring

and what metro

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    place is becomming boring

and what metro
    Students. Weesperplein.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

smoking ban? you mean they finally banned drugs there?!?!?!?!
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Getting off to take a pee, and having to sprint after it to regain one's seat must be a . of course, I guess you could just remain seated and let 'er fly...

You got to fight for your right to party!!!
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

I've always been an advocate of having a bag 'fitted' on such occasions. It makes sense. No need for Tena Lady* for example. :o)

* to Tena Lady; I want at least 1 cent for each reply.

Quote Originally Posted by John-117 View Post
    smoking ban? you mean they finally banned drugs there?!?!?!?!
    don't be silly

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron’s cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

-CS Lewis
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Amsterdam beerbike threatened!

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian II View Post

Why oh why?
    Can I be a sourpuss?

I prefer Amsterdam as a city of history and culture. I care little for it as the 'world's largest outdoor carnival' (aka sewage).

Make it Bologna, Bruges or Venice. Not a booze 'n drugs 'R' Us Vegas for drunk adults.

I've said it in the Dutch-thread too: there is no city in Europe with such a discrepancy between historical heritage and disrespect for historical heritage.

Words fail me to describe my sadness over this:

Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 06-10-2009 at 16:11. Reason: the 'p' is silent, as in Bath.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Your perception not ours. City and culture enough if you are looking for it. Why would Amsterdam have to be more like Brugge or Venice. It isn't.

QUICKLY!! ARM THE PROTESTERS! WE MARCH TO BATTLE! How could they even think of banning such a fantastic and useful item such as a beer bike.
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

You had me at beerbike.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re : Re: Amsterdam beerbike threatened!

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Your perception not ours. City and culture enough if you are looking for it. Why would Amsterdam have to be more like Brugge or Venice. It isn't.
    More history and culture than one can shake a spliff at. Mind-boggling and stunningly beautiful. A fairy tale.
    That is precisely why I resent the nonsense that clutters the streets. That is, insofar as the streets are original and not filled up canals. (Try doing that in Venice)

What worries my mind, is that maybe there is a necessary connection between the liberties that stern Calvinism carved out for itself, and the permissiveness of the post-Christian Dutch society.

(We should make a Backroom thread. Then we can compare Bruges (the dead city that was re-awoken by the sweet kiss of Flemish nation building, carved out in neo-gothicism), with Amsterdam (the sleeping beauty that was brutally re-awoken by the demands of being a national capital).
    And maybe also with Venice (also a sleeping beauty, a former trade republic like the other two), with Bruxelles ('Little Paris'), and with Paris ('Big Bruxelles' )
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 06-10-2009 at 18:48.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Default Re: Re : Re: Amsterdam beerbike threatened!

Ah yes I love those! Planning on renting one again somewhere at the start of next year's semester. Ah yak about culture as much as you want but there's no better place for a student than Leuven! (And it also has quite a bit historical heritage as well)

Last edited by Moros; 06-10-2009 at 21:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    We have them in Belgium as well.

Belgium, the last bastion of sanity!
    I guess the latest campagnes of het Vlaams Belang went by unnoticed?

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    More history and culture than one can shake a spliff at. Mind-boggling and stunningly beautiful. A fairy tale.
    That is precisely why I resent the nonsense that clutters the streets. That is, insofar as the streets are original and not filled up canals. (Try doing that in Venice)

What worries my mind, is that maybe there is a necessary connection between the liberties that stern Calvinism carved out for itself, and the permissiveness of the post-Christian Dutch society.

(We should make a Backroom thread. Then we can compare Bruges (the dead city that was re-awoken by the sweet kiss of Flemish nation building, carved out in neo-gothicism), with Amsterdam (the sleeping beauty that was brutally re-awoken by the demands of being a national capital).
    And maybe also with Venice (also a sleeping beauty, a former trade republic like the other two), with Bruxelles ('Little Paris'), and with Paris ('Big Bruxelles' )
    What you see is what you get, if it looks old it's old. It takes own initiative to learn the history of the place, the city doesn't explain itself. Amsterdam is just Amsterdam, has something for everybody. But if you ignore the red lights for example, you are missing out on a great deal of history. Should put something into it if you want to get anything out of it. If you are there just for the party, pity.
    Last edited by Fragony; 06-11-2009 at 07:25.

Probably Drunk Member Reverend Joe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post

Funny, because to me places like Paris and Venice that hawk their past like cheap whores are far trashier to me than beer bikes and weed. Beer bikes are just a way of having fun -- in addition to being an element of natural selection.

Edit: I don't mean to always be antagonistic to you, Louis; I just think you are too hard on people who like to have a good time and enjoy the cheap, semi-bland basics of life. It's not that bad, you know.

Also, speaking of Venice, a beer gondola is a damn good idea. Floating bars!

Edit 2: also, I keep looking at your picture and I can't figure out what's wrong with it. It's just a city scene. Who's to say all those people aren't admiring the architecture as they pass by?
    Last edited by Reverend Joe; 06-11-2009 at 23:06.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Joe View Post
    Also, speaking of Venice, a beer gondola is a damn good idea. Floating bars!
    Dude that's like the best idea ever. We should start a business. I'll take Bruges, since it's closer and we could use Belgian beer, as I don't expect much from italian beer.

Well you could always go for a chianti coracle. At the very least you'd get dizzy, if not enebriated.

:o)

Well you could always go for a chianti coracle. At the very least you'd get dizzy, if not enebriated.

:o)
    A wine gondala then? Not a bad idea...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast