Thread: are the new cool units...

are the cool units gonne be added on to the old ones, i mean, will we still have hte old units aswell as the newones, or are thenew ones gonna replace the old ones ?

(You've been observant... )

You will have the option to play two types of games. One is the "old type", with all the old units, plus the new Kensai, Battlefield Ninja and Naginata Cavalry. The other is the "Mongol Invasion type", where you can play either as the Mongols, who have the Mongol units, or as the Japanese, who have the old units minus the Yari Ashigaru and guns (as they were not invented yet), but Yari Crossbowmen to compensate. It's not known whether the new Japanese units will be present in the Mongol mode.

------------------
    "5. Makoto: utter sincerity; truthfulness."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member BlackWatch McKenna's Avatar

It is my understanding that:

Ashigaru as the lowest rung of the samurai class and as a part of a Daimyo's Standing Army may not have been "officialized" until around 1590 or so; but Ashigaru as "farmers with weapons" serving as light foot was an idea that was first utilized in around 800 a.d.

The mongels did their thing in like 1240 ish, right? So although the ashigaru may not have had the yari we are used to in STW, ashigaru would have been around in some way. And I am pretty sure that the ashigaru were a big part of the armies that fought those friendly Mongel Tourists.

I will go check my sources and get back to you all on this, since i am going purely off memory of a book i read only once.

------------------
    // Black
    // "Did we win?"
    // Black

// "Did we win?"

Yeah, there were low-ranking foot warriors around at the time of the Mongol Invasions (1274 and 1281). They weren't strictly called 'ashigaru' though as they didn't form separate units - they ran behind the horseman as auxiliaries. That would probably be difficult to model in a game however As for weapons they are mostly shown carrying naginata and a few with bows in contemporary illustrations.

Ashigaru with hand-held crossbows seem to be pure fantasy though. Despite what some people have said no-one has come up with any evidence that they were ever used by the Japanese.

oh well, i'll use the old quote:

"it's only a game"

I agree with evilc with one addition:
    It's only a game, but a damn good one!

Also, there is the matter of their consultant. While he may have been seduced by the Dark Side (ie. fat royalties checks), he probably would not endorse completely made-up units. There was much grumbling about the Thunder-Bombers (and there still is...) but it has become generally accepted that they are not totally beyond the concept. So Stevie-boy must have let in crossbowmen as "realistic" also. (Yes, he likes it when you call him that. Soly told me so.) On the other hand, do we know if Stevie-boy DID endorse the expansion pack?

-- B)

Senior Member Senior Member Vanya's Avatar

Perhaps they will have an additional Expansion Pack later on: The Ainu Invasion. Featuring a horde of loin-cloth wearing, club-totting neanderthal warriors bringing death and destruction to the 'soft', civilized Japanese islands...!

"Civilized people are easy to conquer" -- Flavius Aetius, in "Attila"

[Sips sake, eats popcorn]

i c i c , so... will there be like, 2 shogun main chatroooms ? 1 for normal, and 1 for mongy ?