Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Official EB Tournement Thread

Default Re: Official EB Tournement Thread

perhaps one could create a lather of minimum games where one could save 80% of the saved gold from one batle to the other ?? or even save up 1-6 units form the previous batles

that would be the blast so you never tweaked your army much and could always save up for some oliphants

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoSpartan View Post
    a BIG part of the reason was the limits on the numbers of Elites (6total).

So Polybian Romani could not throw out armies of Triarii + Pedites Extraordinarii + Eqvites Extraordinarii only.

...also I am not aware if Romani had specific rules but the 2or3 Polybian Romani armies I've faced have all filed Hestati. (I also fielded Hestati when I fought with Polybians recently).

On the other hand, once the army is selected the Romani players usually end up with an extra $2000-$1000 in their pocket. Whereas the factions I know well (KH, Aedui/Arverni/Casse, Luso, AS/Ptol/Mak/Epiros/Backtria, Carthege, Pontus) don't end up with such a balance unless the player wants to.

This remaining balance, however, has not raised any issues/compaints.
    The reason why Rome didn't do as well was that Romans don't have good anti-cav/ap light infantry. Despite the fact that they can chevron up their whole army, most Roman players don't know how to deal with cataphracts effectively.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    most Roman players don't know how to deal with cataphracts effectively.
    Roman players can't deal with cataphracts effectively.
    Last edited by JinandJuice; 08-05-2009 at 03:31.

Balloons from my first place in the Official EB Online Tournament:
    - from Darius_d
    - from spiritusdilitus
    - from Alsatia

...also I am not aware if Romani had specific rules but the 2or3 Polybian Romani armies I've faced have all filed Hestati. (I also fielded Hestati when I fought with Polybians recently).

well given princepes only cost 119 more, it's actually stupid to get hastati. :P
    Last edited by Paul D; 08-05-2009 at 03:31.

Quote Originally Posted by JinandJuice View Post
    Roman players can't deal with cataphracts effectively.
    I already said that they aren't equipped to deal with cataphracts but most of the Romans I've played against don't know how to deal with cataphracts/heavy cavalry period.

Its not that Rome can't deal with cataphracts, its just the combination of being not equipped well for cataphracts AND not knowing how to fight them. That and taking Post-Marian armies instead of the Camillian/Polybian armies since the Marians and Imperials are completely crap vs cataphracts.

As in cataphracts can sit in melee and beat Marians and beyond quite handily. It would be nice if they got a defense bonus against cav since they did use the heavier Pila against cavalry charges when they were forced to.

I mean, its just pathetic really.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Tell me about it. Fluvius Camillus's frontal cataphract charges haunt me to this day.
    Last edited by JinandJuice; 08-05-2009 at 05:06.

- from Darius_d
    - from spiritusdilitus
    - from Alsatia

I wager triarii, samnite medium spearmen, cohortes validum auxiliarum could all be used with better effect vs. cataphracts/ extra heavy cavalry when used more proactively. I watched some match where ACS was using numidian skirmishers and effectively chasing off cataphracts with them LOL, bottom line Roman players use defensive fighting passive lines too much which cats/hetairoi eat for lunch, tie them up with lighter faster cav and wear down their endurance, as play evolves better anti-heavy cavalry tactics (not passive lines) should become more widespread.
    Last edited by Geticus; 08-05-2009 at 05:41.

I think only one thing: factions with katapractoi/extra heavy cav are really more easy to play.
    After many friendly battles, I haven t already lost one battle in mp playing as Arche Seleucheia.
    I think catapract aren t unassailable by romans: but if there is 2 players with equal skill,sure that the winner is who can deploy catapract of course.
    Use romani isn t so easy... yeah, romani have good morale and good melee infantry, but those extremely heavy cav are really deadly weapon and romans cannot take it.
    Plus... the 4 romans reforms give to romani a deficit that many other factions haven t.
    There is many army reforms in other factions, but this no count in tournament rules.
    If i take makedonia, for example, i haven t any period/reform limitation, so i can choose all of unit i see.
    For this reasons, i want not take romani in next tourney...
    Probably, I ll take an hellenic faction for have a bit chance to win the tourney.

However this rules is good thing, nothing else to say.
    Proud Roman General

tribu Sequani, 15 milia north of Epomanduodurum. (origin Locus Venedi)

I already said that they aren't equipped to deal with cataphracts but most of the Romans I've played against don't know how to deal with cataphracts/heavy cavalry period.

Its not that Rome can't deal with cataphracts, its just the combination of being not equipped well for cataphracts AND not knowing how to fight them. That and taking Post-Marian armies instead of the Camillian/Polybian armies since the Marians and Imperials are completely crap vs cataphracts.

As in cataphracts can sit in melee and beat Marians and beyond quite handily. It would be nice if they got a defense bonus against cav since they did use the heavier Pila against cavalry charges when they were forced to.

Knowledge how to play is indeed a big difference between MP and SP battles. No wonder people without MP experience have more problems.

Some MP players (ASM namely you, for example) have a huge knowledge about how RTW engine deals with units behaviour in battle, depending their statsm.
    Notably, how to counter certain types of units - phalanx, cataphtracts, elephants, etc.

Maybe it would be not bad idea to make a kind of guides to share certain basic knowledge. I mean a kind of general battle guides (there are just campaign guides and scarce battle guides like about cavalry charge by Ibrahim). Not really now, if you ask me.
    Last edited by darius_d; 08-05-2009 at 13:30.

Spearmans are not effective since they are only a deterent and immobile. Samnites, Lucanians, and Illyrian Coastal Levies(AP) are the best counter.

The reason why Rome didn't do as well was that Romans don't have good anti-cav/ap light infantry. Despite the fact that they can chevron up their whole army, most Roman players don't know how to deal with cataphracts effectively.
    The problem is that Roman players use their armies like a Successor. They treat legions like phalanx, leave them in Guard Mode and let the enemy Tire against them. Every roman player that I played moves the same way:
    -Making a solid line of legionaries in Guard Mode and letting the enemy fight. If the enemy flanks, then move legions to cover the flanks by making a new solid line in Guard Mode.

The problem is that Legions are not phalanxes, and that type of defensive gameplay does not go well for sword army, with decent (not great) cavalry.
    -------------------

Also.... no infantry unit can stand up and "brace for a Cata/Hetaerio charge". That 40+ Charge is devastating. Even if you put an elite infantry, you will be receiving too many casualties for the $$ you paid in that charge.

What I like to do is keep Catas at bay while I scare/kill the infantry.

Also.. I prefer to send AP guys at Catas, axes/flax/cavalry spears (no 2ndary weapon, unless ur cavalry's secondary weapon is AP... like Saka’s pick wielding cavalry )

--------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Aulus Caecina Severus
    ... I haven t already lost one battle in mp playing as Arche Seleucheia
    Well... you haven't played me yet
    Last edited by NeoSpartan; 08-06-2009 at 05:11.

What I like to do is keep Catas at bay while I scare/kill the infantry.
    And how exactly do you do that?

Also.. I prefer to send AP guys at Catas
    I don't think romans have many AP units, let alone any. Care to shed some light?

- from Darius_d
    - from spiritusdilitus
    - from Alsatia

I don't think romans have many AP units, let alone any. Care to shed some light?
    Only their Javelins are AP.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Illyrians... Pedites... Equites Extraordinarii... Numidian Archers... Really that's it. So I could see someone chevron Illyrians or Numidians to deal with katanks.

Who is going to organise the next tournament?

If nobody wants to, I would like to.

Btw, I made my own siggy for my end of the stick.....
    For a touch of humour (or humiliation)
    Last edited by Alsatia; 08-06-2009 at 22:33.

'Let no man be called happy before his death. Till then, he is not happy, only lucky." -Solon

Quote Originally Posted by Alsatia View Post
    Who is going to organise the next tournament?

If nobody wants to, I would like to.

Btw, I made my own siggy for my end of the stick.....
    For a touch of humour (or humiliation)

If I'm right, then Gabeed and ASM are on it, anyways, nice signature. :P
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

And how exactly do you do that?
    remember last night 1v1 (not the 2v2)? thats how.

With Polybians I have a few options... as Roman Marian, I really like Antesignani (elite spearmen) and the Eqvites Hispanorvm have AP swords, and Eqvites Gallorvm have AP lances.... as Imperial Rome then I am stuck with auxiliaries and Ala Imperatoria with their long swords.

the trick is:
    -don't send 1 or 2 guys after catas... and don't let your guys run too far away from the rest of the army.

However I need to try this out with Romani...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567