Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Hoplitai too weak ?

Byzantine-hellenistic General Member Flavius_Belisarius's Avatar

Default Hoplitai too weak ?

Hoplitais are in my opinion too weak. They dont have any chance to win against a phalanx, they dont have any chance to win against heavy infantery and normal hoplitais are way more expensiver. Especially the spartan and armored elite one. I know that spears should be weak against sword and shield units but i thougth that hoplitais are effectiv against such melee combat units because of their phalanx formation.
    Fear is the enemy. The only one. - Sun Tzu

Online names: AustrianGeneral / FlaviusBelisar

Default Re: Hoplitai too weak ?

not sure , i do know that most if not any AP will eat them up ... not much stands in way of the falx though.

they just seem good for holding the line ...
    Last edited by mountaingoat; 06-25-2009 at 11:12.

i think they are fine as they are..

Fine ^^ Is it really fine that the strongest warriors of the ancient era, the spartans, are loosing against a half naked barbarain sword unit.
    Last edited by Flavius_Belisarius; 06-25-2009 at 11:20.

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

what the hell are you talking about? The hoplites are fine. In fact I find they destroy Phalanxes.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Flavius_Belisarius View Post
    Fine ^^ Is it really fine that the strongest warriors of the ancient era, the spartans, are loosing against a half naked barbarain sword unit.
    actually, they were not the strongest in that period. 200 years ago? maybe

and also, i find they are pretty good in game anyway
    Last edited by Mediteran; 06-25-2009 at 11:49.

Symbasileus ton Rhomaioktonon Member Maion Maroneios's Avatar

Hoplitais are in my opinion too weak. They dont have any chance to win against a phalanx, they dont have any chance to win against heavy infantery and normal hoplitais are way more expensiver. Especially the spartan and armored elite one. I know that spears should be weak against sword and shield units but i thougth that hoplitais are effectiv against such melee combat units because of their phalanx formation.
    1) Phalangites are supposed to beat Hoplitai
    2) Hoplitai are way more flexible than phalangites
    3) Hoplitai in guard mode are tanks and can withstand a pike phalanx forever
    4) Hoplitai are very cost effective
    5) Hoplitai have excellent defense and morale
    6) They are not made to withstand heavy/elite/AP infantry
    7) Spartiatai and Epilektoi are expensive because they are elite hoplites
    8) The phalanx formation has a very specific role: Break the enemy through attrition, not kill them fast

Maion
    ~Maion

Vicious Celt Warlord Member Celtic_Punk's Avatar

You forgot to mention they aren't weak and don't suck.

I've won countless unwinnable battles by planting regular hoplitai in a road and won against countless stacks just because i had 2 units of hoplites. any other unit and I'd have perished. 2 units against a fullstack. that's not weak in my book.

the fact that you can dictate the shape of the frontline because they have so much pushing capability gives you the advantage to pound with cavalry. I've never lost a field battle as long as I'm not outrageously outnumbered (like 3-4 units vs like 10 phalanx and 5 makedonian cavalry) If you close the distance between pike and man you can destroy a phalanx, just make sure your men get to their shields. You need to flank them though. You must always flank! Kill squads are a favourite tactic of mine. Small experienced bands of mercs you bought ages ago make the best killsquads.
    'Who Dares WINS!' - SAS
    "The republic stands for truth and honour. For all that is noblest in our race. By truth and honour, principle and sacrifice alone will Ireland be free."-Liam Mellows

Who knows? If it's a enough day we may all end up Generals!"

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post

I'm personally not so sure of that, when looking at how both Phalanxes work, 8 men applying pushing power against 5 holding them off by just holding onto their spears. It would just be a matter of time before pushing power prevails.

And it always took some special tactic or help to defeat Hoplites, alone I'm not sure they would be able to manage. And the Hoplites fighting under Persia managed to seriously treaten the Phalangites forcing Alexander to charge in.

In short, pushing power vs wooden shafts? I'd give it to the pushing power in the long run.

And I think that Hoplites are indeed to weak as well, not in defensive power but in offensive power, they weren't a static block, they were an offensive block. The Hoplite Phalanx just can't be good enough represented to show its offensive abilities, luckilly in EB2 we will have the Shield Wall automaticly for Hoplites.(Or so a team member once said)
    Last edited by Phalanx300; 06-25-2009 at 12:14.

Yeah, I don't know why you think hoplites should be able to beat phalangites. If that was possible, the Macedonians never would've won Charonea, let alone defeat the Persians.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Hoplites did stop the phalanx that Issus due to bad terrain.

The main issue in EB is that the hoplite phalanx has no ability to attack in formation, only defend(where its awesome unless AP shows up).
    Last edited by antisocialmunky; 06-25-2009 at 12:57.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Thanks for the numerous informations. So when i fight with Hoplitais i have to switch to guard mode and let them stay.

One of you mentioned that Hoplitais are was more flexible than phalangitais, but thats a bit crappy, phalangitais were way more flexible because hoplitais formation was only a long slow unflexible line. Phalangitais formation was divided in many smaller squares.

Quote Originally Posted by Mediteran View Post
    actually, they were not the strongest in that period. 200 years ago? maybe

and also, i find they are pretty good in game anyway
    I know but this is Sparta.

Thanks for the numerous informations. So when i fight with Hoplitais i have to switch to guard mode and let them stay.

One of you mentioned that Hoplitais are was more flexible than phalangitais, but thats a bit crappy, phalangitais were way more flexible because hoplitais formation was only a long slow unflexible line. Phalangitais formation was divided in many smaller squares.

Spartan Hoplites weren't that special.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

ah, how i wish the movie 300 didnt come out
    Last edited by Mediteran; 06-25-2009 at 13:21.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Theban Sacred band is stronger than those Spartan weaklings anyway....

I find hoplites excellent in killing generals, a few cheap hoplitai hapoloi are good enough to bring down Somatophylakes Strategou..

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

The hoplites make for good heavy spearmen with a decent cost-efficiency ratio. Which is as it should be. When you really get down to it they were nothing more and nothing less than a local version of the pretty much universal "shieldwall" principle, and TBH their track record against many other patterns of period "shock" infantry isn't actually even very good.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Mediteran View Post
    ah, how i wish the movie 300 didnt come out
    lol I dont like the movie 300 by the way. I know that Spartans werent that special but i think they are simply to expensive and i love the sentence "THIS IS SPARTA".

Now Flav B, understand please that this is no slight or insult to you. But...

How many times every month does some noob show up saying that this and that unit is too strong/too weak/unrealistic/whatever without knowing tha system and having much experience in it, and its balance?

When you have been here for a while, which I hope you will be, you will understand what I mean.

That said, welcome to the EB Forum, a wonderful world of historical and EB nerdness :-)
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Maion Maroneios View Post
    1) Phalangites are supposed to beat Hoplitai
    3) Hoplitai in guard mode are tanks and can withstand a pike phalanx forever
    4) Hoplitai are very cost effective
    5) Hoplitai have excellent defense and morale
    6) They are not made to withstand heavy/elite/AP infantry
    7) Spartiatai and Epilektoi are expensive because they are elite hoplites
    8) The phalanx formation has a very specific role: Break the enemy through attrition, not kill them fast

Maion
    They are just very good for what they supose to do, in my KH campaing i beat makedonia and èpirus , parcialy only with those haploi, they are very good against any cav, even bodyguard. of course they are levies, but i got some experienced units, mainly my army was composed by generals archers and slingers and hoplitai haploi, and i beat phalanx, is easy actualy just hold the line with the generals and flank then with haploi. Offcourse when i get the chance to recruit hoplitais, i did, and indeed they are tanks if you got at least 4, 5,6 of those you got your self a line who could hold everything. i love those guys actualy, cost efective an very reliable, even against archers.
    Spartans where special indeed as well their society, very simillar and very diferent in manny ways,compared to other greek societies. And at this time(eb time frame) they were in decline, their empire and their power over the other city states was long gone, still i think Eb is very historical in that issue, spartans at that time were very kowned, and had a great reputation. And if you use spartans in EB after a while they get experience, then they will become exelent units.

If you want to have ivencible spartans then i sugest to play SPQR mod, you ill get spartans who never rout,and fight to the death they are a pain in the asse, in battle you have to kill then all to win.Offcourse the mod is made for a roman campaing not greek one.
    Last edited by Knight of Heaven; 06-25-2009 at 15:49.

Quote Originally Posted by Knight of Heaven View Post
    They are just very good for what they supose to do, in my KH campaing i beat makedonia and èpirus , parcialy only with those haploi, they are very good against any cav, even bodyguard. of course they are levies, but i got some experienced units, mainly my army was composed by generals archers and slingers and hoplitai haploi, and i beat phalanx, is easy actualy just hold the line with the generals and flank then with haploi. Offcourse when i get the chance to recruit hoplitais, i did, and indeed they are tanks if you got at least 4, 5,6 of those you got your self a line who could hold everything. i love those guys actualy, cost efective an very reliable, even against archers.

Spartans where special indeed as well their society, very simillar and very diferent in manny ways,compared to other greek societies. And at this time(eb time frame) they were in decline, their empire and their power over the other city states was long gone, still i think Eb is very historical in that issue, spartans at that time were very kowned, and had a great reputation. And if you use spartans in EB after a while they get experience, then they will become exelent units.

If you want to have ivencible spartans then i sugest to play SPQR mod, you ill get spartans who never rout,and fight to the death they are a pain in the asse, in battle you have to kill then all to win.Offcourse the mod is made for a roman campaing not greek one.
    Except AP units.

Finished essays: The Italian Wars (1494-1559), The siege of Buda (1686), The history of Boius tribe in the Carpathian Basin, Hungarian regiments' participation in the Austro-Prussian-Italian War in 1866, The Mithridatic Wars, Xenophon's Anabasis, The Carthagian colonization
    Skipped essays: Serbian migration into the Kingdom of Hungary in the 18th century, The Order of Saint John in the Kingdom of Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Phalanx300 View Post
    I'm personally not so sure of that, when looking at how both Phalanxes work, 8 men applying pushing power against 5 holding them off by just holding onto their spears. It would just be a matter of time before pushing power prevails.

And it always took some special tactic or help to defeat Hoplites, alone I'm not sure they would be able to manage. And the Hoplites fighting under Persia managed to seriously treaten the Phalangites forcing Alexander to charge in.

In short, pushing power vs wooden shafts? I'd give it to the pushing power in the long run.

And I think that Hoplites are indeed to weak as well, not in defensive power but in offensive power, they weren't a static block, they were an offensive block. The Hoplite Phalanx just can't be good enough represented to show its offensive abilities, luckilly in EB2 we will have the Shield Wall automaticly for Hoplites.(Or so a team member once said)

I play using bi.exe and shield wall is the bomb for breaking up Phalangites, they'll push right through a phalanx making it easy pickings for any other infantry.
    Last edited by Xurr; 06-25-2009 at 16:06.

The mercs fighting for the Persians got around to mauling pike phalanxes the exact same way as everyone else - they went for the flanks. It was the exact same issue of sub-units becoming "disjointed" from each other in rough terrain or simply due to different rates of advance as the Romans exploited, leaving exposed gaps into which the hoplites (or legionaries, or whoever) could readily bite into.
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

People who say Spartans were lame are plain dumb. Unless it was meant as a joke, of course.

And I meant more flexible as mobile units. In reality, the typical formation for a hoplite-based army would be a single row of 8 men deep pushing the enemy back.

Maion
    ~Maion

One of you mentioned that Hoplitais are was more flexible than phalangitais, but thats a bit crappy, phalangitais were way more flexible because hoplitais formation was only a long slow unflexible line. Phalangitais formation was divided in many smaller squares..
    What?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    Now Flav B, understand please that this is no slight or insult to you. But...

How many times every month does some noob show up saying that this and that unit is too strong/too weak/unrealistic/whatever without knowing tha system and having much experience in it, and its balance?

When you have been here for a while, which I hope you will be, you will understand what I mean.

That said, welcome to the EB Forum, a wonderful world of historical and EB nerdness :-)
    I understand you but quite sure that im not a noob, even on Eb which i didnt play for a long time yet. But i already had several Mp battles, and there Hoplitais were completly useless. Hoplitais couldnt face Phalangits, or other infantery units with sword, axe etc. And even against cavalry they werent really effectiv. Yes in a longer melee but if you play against a human who charges and retreats and so on, then hoplitais were useless. In my opinion they should be at least cheaper, especially the spartan and the armored elite hoplitai.

But i dont know how it is in campaign, i hardly every played it yet but i will try it. ;)

Edit.:

@Mikhail Mengsk

My english isnt the best but what i wanted to say was that in real Phalangits were way more flexible than normal hoplitai, and anybody asserted the opposite of this which is totaly false. :)

Here a picture. The reason why the hoplitai formation was so inflexible is that the whole formation was a long line, if this line breaks on one part, the whole battle was almost lost. The macedonian phalanx was quite flexible because they phalangits where subdivided in many squares. But after the dead of alexander the phalangits got more armor and they formed back to more like a line like the classical hoplitais which made them almost as unflexible.

Last edited by Flavius_Belisarius; 06-25-2009 at 18:25.

I think your problem is that you believe you should use your Hoplitai offensively, which is obviously wrong. I have played quite a few battles on-line, and many times it was my trustworthy Hoplitai that held out long enough for me to hammer the enemy line.

Maion
    Last edited by Maion Maroneios; 06-25-2009 at 18:24.
    ~Maion

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Besides, you're using examples form outside EB's timeframe.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Actually i simply tried to act like in the real. And in real hoplitais used brutal shoving match warfare. So they should be offensive warriors but i will try to use them defensivly. A problem is that KH doesnt have any other really good units than hoplitai.

That was centuries ago when they were mainly fighting each other. Them newfangled pike phalanxes, as it happens, were a *lot* better at the "frontal pushing match" business...

Adapt or perish.

Well in MP is a little diferent, still if you use them well they do very good. Against a human player who charges and retreats with cavalry, specialy the hetarioi even in some cases the phalangites has trouble..so is not the hoplitai fault.
    The hoplitai is far more mobile then the phalangites didnt understand what you mean with square blocks. anyway any unit in eb is more mobile then phalangites including the hoplitai. hum im not counting balistas and siege off course :P

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast