Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast

Thread: KOTF OOC Thread

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Default KOTF OOC Thread

OOC thread for the KOTF forum
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: KOTF OOC Thread

Nice, we're really chugging along here. Do we have a set start date in mind yet?
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Some of it will depend on getting the FAQ up and any other sub-threads we need. I'll finish the rules tonight trying to work off the discussion thus far.

I'm going to set up the order avatars are chosen in tonight as well (just find some randomizing program to set up with those in the signup thread, most likely).

Then we need our minimod and we're good to go. That's the part I see taking the longest...

Just a quick note to say that I won't be back online until Monday, as I'm going away with my family for a short holiday.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

This may be a better place to respond to GHs query in the sign-up thread:

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    BTW, if you have time, I would love to hear your opinion on how the Battle of Trent, which ended KotR, went. Your opinion would mean a lot to me.
    Well, as the dying Boromir said to Aragorn: "You did what I could not." That was a really well administered tabletop battle. I jumped ship because I just could not find the time to pull it off, so I understand how much went into overseeing it. I am glad you got the "tabletop" system to work as I really like the system of giving orders, allowing for breakdowns in communication and fog of war etc. I suspect it simulates the problem of command better than electronic Total War battles (MP or SP). But it is so time consuming it may be best reserved for the truly climactic engagements. Not only does the umpire have to devote a couple of weeks worth of evenings/weekends etc to it, the rest of the game has to be frozen for one battle that would be resolved in a couple of hours if it were vs the AI.

As for the battle itself, I think it was Lothar who put it best: it was an execution, not a battle. Hats off to Rameses for that shocking twist. Indeed, my general impression with the tabletop battles is that they are decided before the first shot is fired - by numbers. The method of combat resolution tends to emphasise attrition rather than tactical brilliance (with FHs turn 4 at Bern being a jaw dropping exception), so that the battle is determined by who turns up with the better army. I am not sure we came up with good, well understood mechanics for resolving that in WotS or KotR, since civil war was not part of the initial game design, but may be the successor game has cracked that. Personally, I am looking forward to getting into character (hopefully one with lots of vices n virtues) and writing some stories in this new game rather than engaging in open civil war, but then again contemplative peace-loving nobility probably did not thrive in the middle ages...

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okay, looking at the signup thread, we have the following people:

Zim
    TheFlax
    Cultured Drizzt Fan
    Cecil XIX
    GeneralHankerchief
    TinCow
    YLC
    Ignoramus
    everyone
    mini
    Rowan
    Tristan de Castelreng
    Dafug3
    Vladimir
    Ibn-Khaldun
    econ21
    Marcus Agrippa

Looks like a good start. I've also PM'd AG, prodding him to get him in here, so maybe that'll be one more.

Zim, are you planning on taking a character? If so, you should definitely get first pick, as is a GM's prerogative.

-edit- Many thanks.

-edit2- And I'd like to welcome our new players Vladimir, Dafug3, and Marcus Agrippa, as well as our EB RPG refugees everyone and CDF.
    Last edited by GeneralHankerchief; 07-02-2009 at 01:04.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

AG has plenty of time, I think it will take a couple days to get the mod together (gotta find someone who can do it, plus get that names file to Tristan). I think I'm going to enter everyone from the signin thread into a randomizer to determine who picks in what order.

I wasn't planning on having a character. It worked well in KOTR, but I can see why TinCow avoided it in LOTR. Especially with that and this game allowing me to create events...

The Count of Bohemia Senior Member Cecil XIX's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Here's descr_names.txt and descr_names_lookup.txt.

The former is easy to understand: names are sorted primarily by faction, and subdivided into men's first names ('characters'), surnames, bynames and women's first names.

I have no idea how the latter file works though, it seems to have names from RTW and MIITW in a seemily random order. I'd guess that whatever additions/removals/changes you make to one file you make to the other, but I recommend that Tristran doublecheck that.

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Indeed, my general impression with the tabletop battles is that they are decided before the first shot is fired - by numbers. The method of combat resolution tends to emphasise attrition rather than tactical brilliance (with FHs turn 4 at Bern being a jaw dropping exception), so that the battle is determined by who turns up with the better army. I am not sure we came up with good, well understood mechanics for resolving that in WotS or KotR, since civil war was not part of the initial game design, but may be the successor game has cracked that. Personally, I am looking forward to getting into character (hopefully one with lots of vices n virtues) and writing some stories in this new game rather than engaging in open civil war, but then again contemplative peace-loving nobility probably did not thrive in the middle ages...
    LotR had mixed success with PvP. The battles themselves worked pretty well, with several tabletop battles being fought without any problems as well as two multiplayer battles, which were great for spectators because the battle replays worked properly. However, the rule set for LotR made it difficult for a battle to occur in the first place and this made civil wars pretty anticlimactic for most of the game. Part of the current discussion for the next game is how to resolve this problem.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about LotR in general: many improvements that made the game better, but lots of flaws with the system that prevented it from really coming into its own. Fortunately, a lot of those problems were ironed out along the way so we don't have to deal with them anymore. The 'Royal Army' system that was pioneered in KotR has transformed into an excellent and very efficient system for private ownership of military units, as have the rules for IC legislation and OOC rule changes. The built-in ability for the GM to launch 'events' at will also helps a great deal. However, the House structure and the PvP mechanics were never properly polished up during the game and we're still trying to resolve the problems with them now.

Greetings,

I’ve been an avid follower of your subforum since the days of KotR, always in a lurking capacity due to lack of
    full internet privileges at work.
    Let me tell you, the joint efforts of you guys have helped me spend many a quiet afternoon in this place, for which you have my thanks.

I decided to join now, firstly because I can , but mainly to remind you that there are probably a lot of people following your exploits who never register because they can’t, or just don’t take the trouble to do so.

I would be tempted to join the next instalment of your game (be it in some minor capacity), there is however one obstacle remaining so don’t regard this as an official sign up yet.
    Although I now have full internet access both at work and at home, my actual gaming comp is not connected to the web, and it would require some juggling with dvd’s and usb – sticks to get the whole thing set up.
    As soon as a workable mini-mod and some saves are up I will do some experimenting.
    Some tips from people who have faced similar problems, especially with regards to uploading saves would be welcome.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Indeed, my general impression with the tabletop battles is that they are decided before the first shot is fired - by numbers. The method of combat resolution tends to emphasise attrition rather than tactical brilliance (with FHs turn 4 at Bern being a jaw dropping exception), so that the battle is determined by who turns up with the better army.
    Based on my experience fighting the Battle of Antiokheia I'd say there's also a big part of "He who makes the least mistakes, wins."
    There are just too much things to remember to take everything into consideration when giving orders and trying to prepare for all eventualities. As such I think it simulates the role of army commander in medieval times quite well, you have to trust your lieutenants to take initiative and messengers for the overall picture.

For example, if woad&fangs had used his ram the western wall would have fallen and the whole battle would have been completely different, with most of the fighting mainly on the narrow streets. The whole southern sally would have been a sideshow, or it would have never happened if the southern ram had reached the gate before Bart & Tagaris. And at deployment I forgot to explicitly state that the troops should be positioned on top of the walls and not behind them and guess where GH put them Or committing my reinforcements I drew a map with a pretty arrow pointing towards the western gate, while in the actual orders only saying "gate". And guess where they went? Not west.

It would be a bigger workload for the umpires, but if there's another big (multiple generals on both sides) tabletop in KOTF I'd like us to expand on the "You only know what you can see or what your messengers tell you" -angle.
    Basically all commanders receive a textual representation of the battle based on what they can see or what messengers tell them. This would require the overall commanders to stay on higher ground where they can observe the battle. Committing their reserve (which they would be commanding) would be a last ditch resort because their control of the battle would then be lost until they could extricate themselves from the battle again. Subordinate commanders wouldn't have the same overall knowledge of how the battle is going, only their immediate surroundings, even less if engaged in battle.

Alphonse la Hire - Veteran of many battles seeking new employment
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Vartholomaios Ksiros
    Grand Master of the Order of St. John
    Prince of Antioch and Protector of Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Snowygerry View Post
    Greetings,

I’ve been an avid follower of your subforum since the days of KotR, always in a lurking capacity due to lack of
    full internet privileges at work.
    Let me tell you, the joint efforts of you guys have helped me spend many a quiet afternoon in this place, for which you have my thanks.

I decided to join now, firstly because I can , but mainly to remind you that there are probably a lot of people following your exploits who never register because they can’t, or just don’t take the trouble to do so.

I would be tempted to join the next instalment of your game (be it in some minor capacity), there is however one obstacle remaining so don’t regard this as an official sign up yet.
    Although I now have full internet access both at work and at home, my actual gaming comp is not connected to the web, and it would require some juggling with dvd’s and usb – sticks to get the whole thing set up.
    As soon as a workable mini-mod and some saves are up I will do some experimenting.
    Some tips from people who have faced similar problems, especially with regards to uploading saves would be welcome.

Regards.
    Welcome, I was in the same boat as you when LotR was starting, having spent many a boring hour at work following KotR, but never signing up.

If you can get the M2TW/Kingdoms and LTC transferred to your gaming PC the saves shouldn't be too much of a hassle, they are much smaller. You can practice the whole thing by installing all the LotR stuff and trying to load one of the LotR saves. I'd imagine that the process for KOTF will be quite identical, except for requiring Kingdoms.

Alphonse la Hire - Veteran of many battles seeking new employment

Vartholomaios Ksiros
    Grand Master of the Order of St. John
    Prince of Antioch and Protector of Levant

Quote Originally Posted by Rowan View Post
    Welcome, I was in the same boat as you when LotR was starting, having spent many a boring hour at work following KotR, but never signing up.

If you can get the M2TW/Kingdoms and LTC transferred to your gaming PC the saves shouldn't be too much of a hassle, they are much smaller. You can practice the whole thing by installing all the LotR stuff and trying to load one of the LotR saves. I'd imagine that the process for KOTF will be quite identical, except for requiring Kingdoms.

Both MTW and Kingdoms are already installed, and I installed several other mods (Third Age Total War being the last one - amazing job those guys did) so that shouldn't be too much of a problem.
    I'm more worried about taking and uploading saves in a reasonable amount of time, as I have to take the save, copy it, play the game, transfer the save and upload it again (whitin a couple of hours I believe?).

As soon as the game gets started, I will do some tests, and see how it goes.

Welcome Snowygerry!

Are your gaming and internet computers both at home? If so getting the save from one to the other shouldn't be too hard. I used to have to do the same.

I should have the rules finalized within the day. Tomorrow I'm also going to get LTC on my computer and see about whatever minimod we're using. Once that's done we can recruit our rbs and set up an order for people to pick their avatars.

I forsee the first Council session opening very soon, within the week depending on how long the minimod, picking characters, etc. takes. Main thing is it might be after this weekend. The 4rth is going to be pretty busy for me (stuck doing guard duty for an event Friday-Sudnay) but my schedule clears completely starting Monday.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

So I'm about to purchase Kingdom's via Amazon. Once I freshly install MTWII and Kingdom's then I'm in position to apply the mods.

Can someone please confirm?

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

@ AG : Yep, you'll only have to download and install the LTC mod that got chosen plus the minimod required for RGB and namechanges if I can do it...

EDIT : I'm checking right now in the Modders' section about the namefile changes in order to implement them...
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 07-02-2009 at 10:42.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Welcome Snowygerry!

Are your gaming and internet computers both at home? If so getting the save from one to the other shouldn't be too hard. I used to have to do the same.

I have internet - access at work, and at home I can use the connected computer of a roommate, so using an usb-stick for the save, I really only foresee timing issues.
    (Being off-line on weekends, roommate being busy etc.)

Furthermore since I’m planning on starting out with some minor character, quite a lot of orders can be given by simple text messages, updating an SOT-thread etc, so quickly down/uploading the save will probable not be necessary each and every turn.

Anyway thanks for the welcome and I’ll keep you posted.

I'm screwed.

Kingdoms will arrive between the 13th and 20th of July!!! I can't increase the delivery speed.

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Quote Originally Posted by AussieGiant View Post
    I'm screwed.

Kingdoms will arrive between the 13th and 20th of July!!! I can't increase the delivery speed.
    Not screwed persee, ways around it temporarily...but anyway, that means you won't be quite ready for the opening then. I am sure we can make an exception, since wherever you are it seems package delivery is still made by horse and buggy

Quote Originally Posted by YLC View Post
    Not screwed persee, ways around it temporarily...but anyway, that means you won't be quite ready for the opening then. I am sure we can make an exception, since wherever you are it seems package delivery is still made by horse and buggy
    Normally I can select airmail or priority express and it's here between a 3 to 5 days. In this instance that was not possible.

Normally I can select airmail or priority express and it's here between a 3 to 5 days. In this instance that was not possible.

Oh, the rotten luck...

Can you buy an online copy?
    Last edited by ULC; 07-02-2009 at 11:34.

Quote Originally Posted by YLC View Post

Oh, the rotten luck...

Can you buy an online copy?
    What do you mean by "online"?

What do you mean by "online"?
    It's a copy that you buy that registeres the game online for you, skipping the entire CD/DVD, and downloads it directly to your computer. Not only do you not need a physical copy, but if you have to reformat, want to install it on another computer, etc, you may download it as many times as you need.

Check here.

Does that install a "client" on your machine or just a simple down load authorisation?

Does that install a "client" on your machine or just a simple down load authorisation?
    A client, similar to Steam.

Good point YLC, though Steam has it at $15 rather than the $30 for D2D. I currently love Steam, so I shall do that unless I stumble across a hard copy while I'm out today.

Ignore the above... just realized the Steam version of Kingdoms requires the Steam version of M2TW as well. Guess I'll have to scrounge up a hard copy version as well.
    Last edited by TinCow; 07-02-2009 at 14:44.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    Good point YLC, though Steam has it at $15 rather than the $30 for D2D. I currently love Steam, so I shall do that unless I stumble across a hard copy while I'm out today.

Ignore the above... just realized the Steam version of Kingdoms requires the Steam version of M2TW as well. Guess I'll have to scrounge up a hard copy version as well.
    That's exacly my problem TC.

I've got a hard copy of M2TW so I need the DVD version. That's going to take 5 to 11 working days!!

Boooo!!

I think we've still got some time. The rules don't appear to have been finalized quite yet, which is a prerequisite of starting.

The Search for Beefy Member TheFlax's Avatar

I'd just like to mention that buying from D2D might be risky. From my past experience with them, you can't mod the games you download there, unlike with Steam. I have no idea if that's the case with M2TW and Kingdoms, but it was with Oblivion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    TheFlax needs to die on principle. No townie should even be that scummy.

Enlightened Despot Member Vladimir's Avatar

Ahh, the joys of Wal-Mart.

Really though; given how buggy MII was how can you not have Kingdoms?
    Last edited by Vladimir; 07-02-2009 at 17:46.

Reinvent the British and you get a global finance center, edible food and better service. Reinvent the French and you may just get more Germans.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Maniac From Mars
    How do you motivate your employees? Waterboarding, of course.
    Ik hou van ferme grieten en dikke pinten
    Down with dried flowers!

Page 1 of 72 123451151 ... LastLast