Default Re: Previews

Will this be for BI only?

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

It's intended for BI but I believe it will run in rtw

Great :D

Looks awesome :)
    Last edited by Paltmull; 10-15-2009 at 21:48.

thanks man :), just an fyi I'm gonna post some nice new stuff tommorrow, probably corinthians

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

A peek at the map would be nice, too... pweeeeeeese? You can have this balloon in return?
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

I dunno how much of the map is ready yet.............. although I'll oblige once Ghaust has got some nice stuff to show

Well, I've been busy as bee and gotten some stuff done. Two new units, the Scythin Hoplites and Scythian Noble cavalry:

U14 Footballer Member G. Septimus's Avatar
    Blog Entries

this is awesome!!!
    though theres no Romans, Its really awesome!!
    never seen Greece so good!!
    x2

Big Romani Fan
    Die Manschaaft
    ]

Der Rekordmeister

The Scourge of Rome Member Spartan198's Avatar

This is just me nitpicking, but I don't think Scythia ever had its own hoplite force. I mean, I don't mind little inaccuracies that enhance gameplay and fun factor, but Scythian hoplites seems a bit too much. Maybe just call them Scythian Heavy Infantry and note in the description that they "adopted the Greek fighting style to counter the heavy infantry types of other kingdoms" or something?
    My Greek Cavalry submod for RS 1.6a: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=368881

For Calvin and TosaInu, in a better place together, modding TW without the hassle of hardcoded limits. We miss you.

to my knowledge Scythia along with many other nation in the CLassical age did make use of hoplites in one form or another. And with Scythian being close to the Greek colonies in the Bosphoros it is easy to assume that they did have substantial Greek influence. However, if you feel that calling them Scythian "heavy infantry" would be more prudent I can fully understand.

Thanks for the complement Gaius!

I got a new unit done, and I thought you'd like to see it. I'll be posting a preview of the full faction on the weekend probably.

The Tarentine Epilektoi Hoplitai

note: I've been held up with school work recently so I haven't been able to upload much, expect some new stuff relatively soon

One new unit, hope you like it, more soon

The Arcadian Hoplitai, with the Greek AP standing for Arcadia

I have to say it looks really nice. Keep up the good work

here's the first in a series of previews of hoplites from the independant polis on the map. (represented by rebels)

Gela Hoplitai

The hoplites from Gela are well-ermed, often highly experienced and more than a competent force on the battlefield. They wear linothorax, corinthian helmets with a tall crest, and their shields bear images of the same satyrs found on Geloi coins.

The city was founded around 688 BC by colonists from Rhodos (Rhodes) and Crete, 45 years after the founding of Syracuse. The colony was named after the river Gela to which the colony was positioned near. The Greeks had many colonies in Southern Italy, their influence there also meant they had great influence in Sicily. They established colonies in Sicily, among them Syracuse, Himera and Gela. Gela quickly flourished and after about a century on existence the Geloi established a colony in modern day Agrigento. The esxpansion led to social strains that led to the lower class to leave the city, however, the great priest of Diana opposed the revolt and they were brought back.

For a century Gela is not mentioned in any historical documents and it is clear that it had gone into decline. However, in 498 BCE the tyrant Hippocrates of Gela conquered Callipoli, Leontini, Naxos, Hergetios and Zancles (the current Messina). Only Syracuse, with the help of the founding city of Corinth avoided capture. Wen Camarina, a Syracusan colony, rebelled in 492 BC, Hippocrates intervened to wage war against Syracuse. he defeated the Syracusian army at the Heloros river but was convinced to retreat after given possesion of Camarina. He died in battle in 494 BCE with the Siculi, the natives of Sicily.

Hippocrates was succeeded by Gelo who conquered Syracuse in 484 BCE and moved his seat of government there. His brother Hiero was given control of Gela. Soon afterwards Theron of Agrigento conquered Himera and a Carthaginian army embarked for Sicily to counter him Theron called on Syracuse and Gela for assistance. In the subsequent battle of Himera the Carthaginians were defeated.

After the death of Gelo in 478 BCE Hiero moved to Syracuse leaving Gela to Poyzelos. After these events the hitory of the city becomes uncertain, and it has been suggested that the citizens overcame the tyrants and established a democracy.

from Wikipedia:

Many of the Geloi returned from Syracuse in this period, and the city regained part of its power: Aischylos died in this city in 456 BC. Gela was at the head of the Sicilian league that pushed back the Athenian attempt to conquer the island in 424 BCE.

In 406 the Carthaginians conquered Agrigento and destroyed it. Gela asked for the help of Dionysius I of Syracuse. However, for unknown reasons, the latter did not arrive in time and, after heroic deeds, Gela was turned into ruins and its treasures sacked (405). The survivors took refuge in Syracuse. In 397 they returned home and joined Dionysius II in his struggle for the freedom from the invaders, and in 383 BC they saw their independence acknowledged.
    Under Agathocles (317-289 BC) the city suffered again for internal strife between the general population and the aristocrats. When the Carthaginians arrived in 311 BC, they met little resistance and captured the city with the help of the aristoi. In 282 BC Phintias of Agrigento, who had founded a city next to the modern Licata, destroyed ruthlessly Gela to crush forever its power.
    Last edited by Old_King_Coal; 11-23-2009 at 02:32.

Leontini Hoplitai

(from Google Maps)

One of the early opponents of Syracuse, this city will be a difficult nut to crack for any Syracusian tyrant aiming at Hegemony.

Details about the armament:

The Leontinian hoplites carry the typical hoplite armament, a 7-foot dora spear, a metre-wide hoplon, a suit of linothorax armor and a helmet of corinthian style:

On their shields they have an image of a lion the same as coins found at Leontini:

Details about the history of Leontini:

The city was founded in 729 BCE by colonists from Naxos, Naxos being a Chalcidean colony established five years previous.

Leontini was basically the only Greek colony not located directly on the coast, located about 6 miles inland. The location was originally controlled by the native Sicels that was valuable for its close proximity to a highly fertile plain. The status of the city was reduced to a subject state in 498 by Hippocrates of Gela, and in 476 BC Hieron of Syracuse moved the inhabitants from Catana and Naxos to Leontini.

Leontini eventually regained independance, however, this proved to be difficult to keep and help was requisitioned from Athens. It was mainly this request that led to the aborted Sicilian Expedition.

After the failed expedition Leontini was again a subject of Syracuse. The city only gained independance in 405 BCE in a treaty made by the Carthaginians and Dionysos of Syracuse. The city was finally stormed by Marcus Claudius Marcellus in 214 BC.

I like those units but I only have a suggestion to Old_King_Coal.

This hoplite phalanx formation looks pretty cool when you are in the pre-battle and you start it and finally in the begining, BUT if you analize this formation you will see how useless it is BECAUSE:

When you attack this formation from the backside you see that the hoplites turn and fight with their spears looking at the sky!!!!!!!!!!! they don´t get down their spears and fight like the hoplites at the frontside...understand me?

so I recommend you to remove this formation and make them fight with the overhand animation nothing else.

BTW one more time it´s my humble opinion.

yes i understand it isn't perfect yet tenerife, but please note that it is an incomplete project and what you see now is only temporary. So we will be likely changing the spears

oh ! In that case, keep up this good work :)

regards

man, when are you planing to released a beta??

I think it´s time to kill some persians

well probably not for a bit, the mapping is coming along slowly and we'd like to relsease a beta with some of the map at least. Maybe in the next month i think

well december is a good month
    we all love december

sorry about the lack of new stuff recently but i've been having a tad of computer trouble (fixed it up now tho)

so, here's some of my more recent work, the thracian heavy cavalry, textures by me and model from Variagmod:

I'll probably have a full faction preview of Thrace sometime soon
    Last edited by Old_King_Coal; 12-16-2009 at 04:07.

sorry about the lack of new stuff here but I had some computer trouble

But i have put some things together, here's one of them, the Argive Epilektoi, (full faction preview soon)

the corinthian helmet model (not the crest) is from the Variagmod thracians
    Last edited by Old_King_Coal; 01-14-2010 at 20:32.

The latest greek additions are really good.

Except you might want to have symbols instead of letters for most units - like the squid is good - AP for Arcadia....

As for the Scythians... They only had cavalry (limited populations means no massed infantry formations) - and imagine if they had to march all those hundreds of miles across the steppes..

Maybe they had some peasants at home armed with spears or swords and shields only (nothing so glossy as you have)..

But for main units you might want to have 2 or 3 types of cavalry..

The basic horsed-archer (maybe with sword-shield melee ability)
    (Optional) Spear - shield medium cavalry
    Scyth (axe) - shield armed Noble cavalry (gold armor would be best)

And also don't forget to give them a bigger beard, and for the archers, and foot-soldiers/peasants the classic Scythian hat.

Some refrences for inspiration:

http://ossetians.com/eng/news.php?newsid=166&f=32

http://www.eastofindia.com/persians.htm

http://www.ancientbattles.com/MacPho...aejjonas00.htm

http://www.4hoplites.com/Scythian%20Photos.htm

Also check out these units -

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=262012

the 6th picture down in "huns vs. ostrogoths" would make awesome basic scythians

the 4th picture down in "western romans vs. sarmatians" would ba pretty good medium cavalry - except adding armor to their horses, and a better saddle balnket would be better - maybe make their armor bronze, and give them brown clothes instead of red - to make them look more scythian..

thanks for the suggestions, I do try to avoid using letters for shield icons but please note that when i do use them it is based on historical research.

always good to get suggestions, this mod is still in development

any news? :'(

Quote Originally Posted by tenerife_boy View Post
    any news? :'(
    Coal is probably busy working on it or maybe something came up. I don't know if I've posted much in his subforum but I'd like to encourage him. Keep up the good work. I love it all!
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Angry Re: Previews

i see long time ago the last post wats happen?

so many good work for...
    Nom

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast