Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the future of MP

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Default Re: the future of MP

Quote Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
    Cheetah - I do find it hard to believe that CA would be trying to kill MP battles off but I see where you are coming from - that it is not profitable compared to single player .
    Well, it is hard to belive but CA's actions regarding MP makes no sense until you realise that they want to get rid of ASAP.
    They deny core features, they are very well aware of the problems, they say nothing, they even prevent others to step in. These actions hardly make sense if you want a thriwing MP.

I think when players realise how time consuming and frustrating to organise and play MP campaign is gonna be - they will be put off that ! - I could be wrong !
    This could be a good reason why they don't want to risk financing two MP service at the same time.

Would the answer for MP battles be to have a small monthly subscription charge eg $3-5 (Too late for this for Empire obviously but for future TW games)

That way Money is in the pot for more staff to sort out bug fixing / balance / map making / organise official money tourneys etc and of course ORGANISED LADDERS AND RATINGS
    I know I would pay it for a really good MP service.
    I would pay too, and with STEAM it might be possible to have MP battles as DLC but I am sure lot of people would be mightily upset by that decision like the gentelman posting right after you. Also, I could understand their frustration too.
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Senior Member Senior Member Cheetah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    I don't know about bet 1, but I hope you didn't lose too much money with bet 2
    Well, I knew I can always trust the mods to prove me wrong.

Of course I would be lot more happy to lose the first bet.

Anyway, allthough I'm not an MP player and a bit of an outsider, I understand the frustration. It's the frustration of the unsatisfied customer who faces a big, faceless company that doesn't seem to care about the individual customer. David vs. Goliath, but without a chance for David to win. It sucks, it's infuriating and you are powerless.

From what I understand, RTW was a disappointment for the majority of the MP community. Then M2TW came, and the majority of the MP community was disappointed again. Now it's ETW and at first sight it looked great, but now it seems to develop into yet another disappointment for the MP community; this time probably an even bigger disappointment since the game apparently has (had?) all the potential to become a fantastic MP experience, yet somehow, it doesn't live up to the expectations.
    Well, not by "somehow" but exactly because the missing core features (central server, lobby, maps) that were present in all previous games but missing from ETW.

a) Take a deep breathe, sigh and then do your best to be constructive. Explain the problems as clear and simple as possible to the developper and offer or suggest solutions. Hope they will listen to the community. There are some people among you who are very experienced with TW games and, correct me if I'm mistaken, even a few people who know more than a thing or two about making games/modding. Unite all MP players with plenty of knowledge, work together, contact CA and nag, nag, nag until it costs them less effort to do what you ask than to read your nagging e-mails. Be prepared to be ignored and to face yet another disappointment which will probably and unfortunately bring you to option b);
    b) decide that you had enough of it and either:
    - do no longer buy TW games;
    - still buy TW games, enjoy the SP aspect and don't bother with MP anymore.

Feel free to use the accomodations of the Org for organising option a) if you want.

Well, I took so many deep breath already that I feel like an air balloon It is a shame to admit but IMO there is not much hope.
    Lional of Cornwall
    proud member of the Round Table Knights

"If you wish to weaken the enemy's sword, move first, fly in and cut!" - Ueshiba Morihei O-Sensei

Wink Re: the future of MP

Quote Originally Posted by KrooK View Post
    C
    Before ETW we were promised that multiplayer campaings WILL BE PART OF GAME or WILL BE ADDED INTO ONE OF FIRST PATCHES. We paid for Empire and now you suggest us pay more? No way!
    Your theory about economical advantage of single player (as part of game that can give more cash to CA) is funny comparing with global stats of computer gaming. Most popular are online games - Half Life (and famous mods), Americas Army, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Halo 3 and of course World of Warcraft. Especially the last one is big cash industry for Blizzard. If we compare it with single - only two titles can be mentioned - Max Payne and The Sims.

And once more:
    I don't want pay even 1 grosz (0,3 cent) for improvements into multi, stabilisation, tourneys and maps because.... WE ARE ALL ALREADY PAID FOR IT. CA JUST CHEATED US because everything you mentioned were already promised and should be part of game. Things you wrote are part of normal (good made) games. If we are talking about tourneys - CA always did bad. Best are community ones and Heyah Logitech Cybersport (very good lan in Poland).
    Yes - You do have some valid points - CA advertised the great MP experience and did not deliver
    but I think Cheetah is right . TOTAL WAR games cater primarily for the single player and always have .
    It will be a large , very costly effort for CA to push the MP up to a level where most players will be buying the game solely for that.
    The other games you mention are multi player based and why is WOW big cash industry for Blizzard ?
    Cos they charge a monthly subscription !
    This is not to say that it HAS to be this way . Starcraft 2 is to be made for MP but i very much doubt they will charge for battlenet .(but starcraft is already established as a top mp game anyways)

To Tomisama - good luck with your World Clan tourney - I really hope that goes well.
    Please post some replays up - that would be great .
    Also - any chance of organising a 1v1 world championship in the near future ?
    be nice to see who really is the best

a) Take a deep breathe, sigh and then do your best to be constructive. Explain the problems as clear and simple as possible to the developper and offer or suggest solutions. Hope they will listen to the community. There are some people among you who are very experienced with TW games and, correct me if I'm mistaken, even a few people who know more than a thing or two about making games/modding. Unite all MP players with plenty of knowledge, work together, contact CA and nag, nag, nag until it costs them less effort to do what you ask than to read your nagging e-mails.
    Im going to print that, and frame it :) It will provide me with inspiration for years to come. (Or until CA finally kills off MP for good.) You have poetically put in to words my everyday struggle.

Centurion = sorry but I'm afraid you misunderstood me.
    1. CA promised that this game will be good into multiplayer. I would have no problem if they wrote something like "its game mostly for single but we have multiplayer too". They didn't.
    2. Game is not good into multiplayer. Its out of discussion and CA knows it (vide patches) - CA lied.
    3. WoW is good not because we pay for it. People are paying for online gaming because game is good. So first game was good then people paid for it. They did not pay to make good game - they paid for already made good game.
    4. As I wrote. WE ALREADY PAID FOR MULTIPLAYER INTO ETW. Now you say we should pay again. First CA should do what we already paid.
    Last edited by KrooK; 07-22-2009 at 21:59.
    John Thomas Gross - liar who want put on Poles responsibility for impassivity of American Jews during holocaust

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah View Post
    Looking forward to it, but it gives you an other reason to write to CA, ask for help and explain to them how it is impossible to organise a good tourney without maps.
    I believe it has already been proven to be a waste of time to rail against that windmill.

The energy is best spent working the problem out for our selves.

A fine example of this is the Clan Community Shield 2v2 Tourney.

Now at 31 Teams:

http://www.clancommunityshield.net/e...tion/?bd73a5ce

The map chosen is the LowLands 2v2 from the Lordz map pack.

http://www.thelordz.org/forum/viewto...?f=126&t=10872

A salute to WoCLancelot and CCS.

You go guys!

The CWC will be right behind you with a 3v3 Autumn contest, using the same map pack.

Available from:

http://www.thelordz.org/forum/viewto...p?f=14&t=10737

Direct map pack link:

http://www.badger1815.be/ETW/LMCmapmod.rar

And 1.3 upgrade fixer:

http://www.badger1815.be/ETW/LMCmapmod_loc_140709.rar

Never Give Up and Never Give In!
    Last edited by Tomisama; 07-25-2009 at 16:03.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12