Thread: Obvservations on 1.31 as The British Empire

Default Obvservations on 1.31 as The British Empire

Greetings fellow org'rs, I thought I would share with you some rather interesting things that have happened in my current great britain campaign.

This I have to say has been one of my hardest campaigns yet, Its 1721, I'm at war with (can I remember them all?) France, Spain, Sweden, The Iroquis Confederacy, The Barbary States, possibly Russia aswell. I may be exaggerating how many enemies I have, it's just that throughout the course of the game so far I have had so many Ally Declares War on Ally, that its hard to keep track of everything.

Anyway the most remarkable things happened very recently. Very early on in the game, 1708, the Cherokee declared war on The thirteen colonies, and took the territory above georgia and the one below maryland. This of course upset the american settlers and they rebelled forming the The United States incredibly early on. I managed to ally with them by giving them maryland and Kaintuck. The very turn William the Third dies, they declare war on me, and I'm going, what the?? we were allies! I then go through the little bulletins on the left side, and find out that its a war of succession, apparently they don't believe that Victoria the First is the true ruler of britain.

I must say that this is not the most remarkable thing but I must pose a question to everyone out there reading this and that is, has anyone EVER had a war of succession declared on them by an absolute monarchy? The only times I've had this was just then by a republic and the last time was by the United Provinces (a Republic) declaring a war of succession on my Prussian kings throne in an old campaign, I wonder if this is a bug?

Anyway, I then take back 3 territories from the U.S. and march an army to their capital (which has 2 armies) not thinking I'll win, I decide on a whim to see if the US would agree to become a protectorate in return for 2 of its former territories back and it agrees! Now this is the first time I have EVER had a hostile nation accept a protectorate status and a peace treaty!

I still see that the AI is continuing to ignore enemy ships in its ports. Anyway another interesting thing is that I sometimes try to trade techs with other nations, which I never have success with, anyway I noticed that spain built a drydock, but it did not have the technology that allowed you to... I checked as I'd been terribly afraid that spain might build a second rate before me (which it did! and which I fortunately managed to capture!) However now in 1721 it does seem to have this tech and so do a few other nations, anyway I'm just curious if I could not see if they had this tech because I didn't have the building which allowed me to research it, or did they cheat? hmm? that may have to be tested.

I did notice that someone I can't remember now said that they wondered if CA had changed the barbary states flag in a recent patch, however what it is that the barbary states in their campaign rebelled against the monarchy and turned into a republic, and when it does its flag changes from black to red. This has happened quite a few times in my campaign, but unfortunately no other nation seems to rebel, the one I want to most of all, france, in all my games has a nasty tendency to keep going on with louis until you get fed up with them. has anyone else had another AI nation rebel into a republic or anything similar?

I must say this is my hardest campaign yet, I haven't ventured into the trade zones as I just haven't had the money to be able to afford a navy to defend my self from my enemies or pirates, and I'm in danger of going bankrupt! Aside from the Black Knight AI this game has been quite enjoyable!
    I play Custom Campaign Mod with 1.2!
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Kobal2fr's guides on training chars to be
    Governors - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=86130
    Generals - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87740
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

A Livonian Rebel Member Slaists's Avatar

Default Re: Obvservations on 1.31 as The British Empire

I second that, 1.31 game-play IS way more enjoyable than before.

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

In one of my campaigns, the Barbary States has changed govenment at least three times. First to republic, then to monarchy, then back to republic. It's kind of depressing, really. This was all in the first fifty turns too.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    In one of my campaigns, the Barbary States has changed govenment at least three times. First to republic, then to monarchy, then back to republic. It's kind of depressing, really. This was all in the first fifty turns too.
    LOL, and how exactly did that process depress you, buddy?

But true, Barbary states, if I remember correctly were all-out Islamic absolute monarchies.

The Red Tezcatlipoca Member Xipe Totec's Avatar

I've see the Barbary red flag in 3 out of my last 4 campaigns. Also had Austria go republic in my recent Swedish campaign shortly before I ended their existence.
    'I go forth about to destroy ... I am seen in the golden water; I shall appear unto mortals; I shall strengthen them for the words of war!'

Hymn of the High Priest of Xipe Totec.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

In my game as Venice, the Ottomans have gone Republic, as have Spain, and Austria.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

The Dam Dog Senior Member Sheogorath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    LOL, and how exactly did that process depress you, buddy?

But true, Barbary states, if I remember correctly were all-out Islamic absolute monarchies.
    It made me depressed that the entire upper class of the North African coast was apparently composed of people totally incapable of running a government :P

I mean, really, even most modern African states at least last a couple decades, and they have a reputation for changing names like most people change socks. Even Zimbabwe's been around since the 60's or so.
    Tallyho lads, rape the houses and burn the women! Leave not a single potted plant alive! Full speed ahead and damn the cheesemongers!

Thats cool then so they do occaisonally rebel! I must say that I'm not too worried about governments changing like that, many nations have had civil wars like that, most notable britain before the start of total war, had a king they didn't like, so oliver cromwell deposes him, then there was some other things happening and then the english ask a dutchman to come rule the throne of england, so monarchy, republic, constitutional monarchy, itd be rather dull if there wasn't any internal strife at random, gives the game a little bit more flavour in my opinion.

Anyway, most tremendous thing, the AI seems willing to capitulate now!, after a long bloody battle with the Iroquis, I finally defeated them to their last little town of Michigan, had an army at their gates, and it was defenseless. I opened the diplomacy window and basically I was gonna say, you can be a small part of my empire and I will respect your land rights to that small patch of dirt, or you can disagree and I'll wipe you from existance. They amazingly took my offer of a protectorate! second time it has happened, it almost, almost! makes it feel like the AI is being reasonable!
    Last edited by Durallan; 07-17-2009 at 09:04.
    My guide on the Family Tree - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87794
    Blue's guide to char development - https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showthread.php?t=87579

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

About the Spanish drydock:
    I believe that, like you suggested, you couldn't see the necessary tech in the diplomacy screen because you didn't have the required building to research it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Quote Originally Posted by Durallan View Post
    Thats cool then so they do occaisonally rebel! I must say that I'm not too worried about governments changing like that, many nations have had civil wars like that, most notable britain before the start of total war, had a king they didn't like, so oliver cromwell deposes him, then there was some other things happening and then the english ask a dutchman to come rule the throne of england, so monarchy, republic, constitutional monarchy, itd be rather dull if there wasn't any internal strife at random, gives the game a little bit more flavour in my opinion.

Anyway, most tremendous thing, the AI seems willing to capitulate now!, after a long bloody battle with the Iroquis, I finally defeated them to their last little town of Michigan, had an army at their gates, and it was defenseless. I opened the diplomacy window and basically I was gonna say, you can be a small part of my empire and I will respect your land rights to that small patch of dirt, or you can disagree and I'll wipe you from existance. They amazingly took my offer of a protectorate! second time it has happened, it almost, almost! makes it feel like the AI is being reasonable!
    By the way, many minors in Europe are quite willing to become protectorates. Especially, if you give them an extra province.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sheogorath View Post
    Sounds like business as usually in Africa 250 years early...

@OP - I've had a war of succession declared one me(PRUSSIA!!!!) by the Swedes. IIRC they are some sort of monarchy. Does anyone remember if they are of the A or the C variety?
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

oh nice! I believe sweden at the start of a new campaign is an absolute monarchy, as I seem to remember them being the same government type as I was in my prussian campaign

That was rather funny actually. Sweden was my ally against the Russians who were sending these tiny annoying raiding forces since I was killing Poland. However, when Poland was down to its last province, my king died and the Swedes declared war on me. Then I made peace with Russia for... probably some farming tech and got a trade agreement. We then became best of friends and just stomped all over the Swedes lol.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Quote Originally Posted by Slaists View Post
    I second that, 1.31 game-play IS way more enjoyable than before.
    ....if you really like looking at the war declaration screen.

IIRC, it was 1.2 that did that you silly little troll. :-p

I dunno if it's enjoyable when you lose, but it's definitely challenging I am about to, or I am going to, either form is correct, lose my Prussian Prestige Campaign

It's 1750 and there hasn't been one year of peace until now. Basically all European major powers - except GB and Sweden - DoW'ed on me, one after another. I've been fighting all the time on multiple fronts. I was forced to eliminate them all, but that put a heavy toll on my garrisoning costs. My economy is underdeveloped, due to heavy investing in military, I couldn't afford a revolution so my absolute monarchy finally fed up the poor citizens, there are rebellions everywhere, France and Poland are re-emerging, I'm bankrupt (for 2 turns now) and the Prussian Empire is inevitably crumbling under it's own weight. I own 80% of Europe, expanded into Europe and just took Anatolia from the Ottomans, but it wouldn't help. Also, I'm second on the enlightment ladder, though I'm desperately trying to cope with 6 universities and the adjacent clamour for reform and discontent (Interestingly enough, the death of my 9 stars Justice minister was the final blow, it was impossible to replace his public order bonuses).

Will have to start all over again. It's the first ETW campaign I lost. Long gone are the days of 5 million gold pieces and Total Peace in 1740 in ETW 1.01 :-)

Anyway, just a couple of remarks.

No major faction accepted a peace treaty or kept more than 2 or 3 years a peace treaty (Austria was the only one that accepted peace, than DoW'ed again). They won't agree for peace not even for their major provinces given back, plus techs and money. This, I don't like - the idea of all-out-war and unconditional surrender was a WW2 characteristic, not 1700's style.

A second one - I really hate those pesky guerilla-style raiding put up by the enemies. It is so time and fun-consuming. Auto-resolving is not an option, as losses are too big, and fighting versus 2 units several times a turn is really annoying.
    Last edited by Vlad Tzepes; 07-19-2009 at 09:59.
    "Whose motorcycle is this?", "It's a chopper, baby.", "Whose chopper is this?", "Zed's.", "Who's Zed?", "Zed's dead baby. Zed's dead." - Butch and Fabienne ride off into the sunset in Pulp Fiction.

wow! I almost thought I was going to lose my british campaign, and if I hadn't taken control of frances ports early on i think I would have, got into debt for one turn only fortunately. But yes, No AI faction seems to EVER declare peace with one another, most nations are at war with EVERYONE ELSE and try trading techs with other nations? forget it. Unless you want to give away half your empire for one lousy technology.