Thread: In game chat problem

Default In game chat problem

Anyone else having a problem sending messages in chat?

First I must admit I dont know what the command is to bring up chat I always have to wait for my team to start

But then when I type text and hit enter the text does not send it just sits there even if I hit the send message button.

about a third of the messages go through.

I also have problems joining games where I get a message no response from host..... and games are green and unlocked when it happens..

Any assistance would be appreciated

Thanks!!!

..fears no adversary Senior Member Jochi Khan's Avatar

Default Re: In game chat problem

To use the in game chat option....

In the top left hand corner of your game screen you will see (the third icon down) what looks like a gold figure (as in person).

Click on this and it will change into a gold figure with a red figure slightly behind and to the right of it.
    This is for ALL PLAYERS to be able to see the chat. The text will be WHITE.

Click on the icon again, to change it to a single gold figure, this is for TEAM CHAT. The text will be BLUE.

A simple way to ensure that you have the right option selected is to press any letter key and then press Enter and look to see which colour the text is.

Saves you telling your enemy what plan of action your team is going to take.

No response from host....

This means that the computers are not 'talking to each other'

This seems to be a regular problem for some players using the Steam Server.

Shutting down firewalls, antivirus programes and opening ports on Routers still don't always allow you to join all games.

Even trying to join games hosted by a friend are not guaranteed.

Some players have been successfull by repeatedly trying to join the game.
    Last edited by Jochi Khan; 08-03-2009 at 15:41.
    R.I.P Great Warrior Ja mata TosaInu

sat at the..Nomad Alliance..campfire

Do your best and do it according to your own inner standard
    --call it conscience--
    not just according to society's knowledge and judgement of your deeds.

Most likely your router is the problem with the no response from host (though could be your actual connection, you didn't say what it was), virtually always is the case in my experience if you have firewalls off. I never needed to configure anything to get ETW to work absolutely fine online. If you connect to your router wirelessly try using a cable, else try a different brand router.
    Last edited by NihilisticCow; 08-04-2009 at 16:20.

if the chat box is closed (this doesnt work if it is open)... press shift+t

this will open the chat box and put you automatically on team chat.

I have a wireless connection from a belkin router and a belkin internet gaming adapter, I will try it with firewalls off again, maybe thats the problem with the chat because that only works 50 percent of the time.

I'd try using a network cable from your router to pc, wireless is notoriously bad for this kind of thing. If it's a firewall issue it'd either work or not, it wouldn't just sometimes work.
    Last edited by NihilisticCow; 08-06-2009 at 12:08.

Quote Originally Posted by NihilisticCow View Post
    I'd try using a network cable from your router to pc, wireless is notoriously bad for this kind of thing.
    If it's a firewall issue it'd either work or not, it wouldn't just sometimes work.
    My PC and Router are ethernet cable connected with Firewall and Antivirus turned Off and I still have a hit or miss connection to other hosted games. But at least no problems with in-game chat.

--call it conscience--

Last night I got my 50 ft ethernet cable out and connected the computer directly to the modem, and it worked like a charm I could get in any game with no problems, however Im still having the chat problem where the message is never sent.

But I cant have a 50 ft cable running through the house so I checked the steam website and reconfigured my router as it suggested in this situation my belkin router doesn’t have options to disable the Stateful inspection and Dynamic Packet Filtering so I ended up just disabling the Router Firewall, I still have my antivirus firewall so Belkin said it would be ok

So now I can get into all the games but still have the chat issue , it seems the longer the message I type the more of a chance it wont go through just typing "ok" or "yes" seems to go through every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jochi Khan View Post
    My PC and Router are ethernet cable connected with Firewall and Antivirus turned Off and I still have a hit or miss connection to other hosted games. But at least no problems with in-game chat.
    I know from other games like Company of Heroes that some routers just don't like each other due to their NAT implementation and always cause problems connecting with certain people. Routers like the Thompson Speedtouch/BT home hub which is fairly common are especially bad in that game.

I don't know specifically for ETW, but I don't have problems connecting with most people with my Linksys. Which was why I suggested trying a different brand router if possible to see if that helps in any way. Might have better chance of CA fixing connection problems if it was known more precisely what caused them and working around dodgy routers (yes I'm an optimist :p ).
    Last edited by NihilisticCow; 08-07-2009 at 22:21.

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Have always used Linksys routers, and never in ten years had any problems with any Total War game, other than what everyone else was experiencing at the time (server stuff)
    Last edited by Tomisama; 08-08-2009 at 00:18.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

Quote Originally Posted by Jochi Khan View Post
    To use the in game chat option....

In the top left hand corner of your game screen you will see (the third icon down) what looks like a gold figure (as in person).

Click on this and it will change into a gold figure with a red figure slightly behind and to the right of it.
    This is for ALL PLAYERS to be able to see the chat. The text will be WHITE.

Click on the icon again, to change it to a single gold figure, this is for TEAM CHAT. The text will be BLUE.

A simple way to ensure that you have the right option selected is to press any letter key and then press Enter and look to see which colour the text is.

Saves you telling your enemy what plan of action your team is going to take.
    this information should be in the manual...

btw, can you see players names when you mouse over their troops yet?

Quote Originally Posted by t1master View Post
    this information should be in the manual...

btw, can you see players names when you mouse over their troops yet?
    When playing the game...Yes

but if you save the game, when you watch the replay....No

All you get at the end of the replay is a screen showing you who had what/how many kills.

Even this is inaccurate because when you look at the player names on the screen, the first name in the list (who should be the Host) will be your name with his scores.
    You will also see your name a second time in the actual position you were deployed with your scores.

So, because you saved the game you are also shown as the host in the battle results screen. You do not see the hosts name at all.

--call it conscience--

Quote Originally Posted by NihilisticCow View Post
    I know from other games like Company of Heroes that some routers just don't like each other due to their NAT implementation and always cause problems connecting with certain people. Routers like the Thompson Speedtouch/BT home hub which is fairly common are especially bad in that game.

I don't know specifically for ETW, but I don't have problems connecting with most people with my Linksys. Which was why I suggested trying a different brand router if possible to see if that helps in any way. Might have better chance of CA fixing connection problems if it was known more precisely what caused them and working around dodgy routers (yes I'm an optimist :p ).
    Disconnected my BT Home Hub and replaced it with a Linksys Modem/Router.

Now I can join and host games.

Haven't seen a No Response from Host message since. Thank you NihilisticCow for the advice/suggestion.

--call it conscience--

Ah so that's the problem my BT home hub. Is it possible to connect to BT internet with out the BT home hub as that's all I have between my PC and the phone cable?

Zerg

See my post above ^^

I bought a Linksys Modem/Router.

I disconnected and took away my BT Home Hub. Didn't uninstall BT software incase of problems with new router.

Connected the Linksys instead of it and installed the Software. Should say....installed software then connected new router. (as the instructions tell you)

My connection is...Bt phone cable (ADSL) to.. Linksys Modem/Router to.. my PC.

I use ethernet cable and not wireless internet connection. (wired not wireless)
    Last edited by Jochi Khan; 08-26-2009 at 18:11.

--call it conscience--

Ah i see. Thanks

Zerg ..... This is the one I am using.

--call it conscience--

Ah thanks. I will have to look into it when i get a bit of money heh