Thread: Newbie to mods needs (extensive-?) help

Default Newbie to mods needs (extensive-?) help

(This is re-post of comment originally posted in Parliament forum...)

I'm a generally competent computer user, but not someone who messes with systems, etc. I've always played EA's generic version of previous TW games, and am thinking a mod might really be worthwhile right now. But everything I've read in this forum (including recent poster's query along similar lines as this one...) leaves me bewildered b'c they all assume a background of knowledge I don't have. And I don't want to start messing around with my game files without either really understanding what I'm doing (or clear step-by-step instructions) to give me some confidence I'm not going to end up with a train-wreck.

Could someone create a tutorial for people like me? I know this would be a real labor, but other Org folks have created major-length compendiums of strategies for each country, for all units in the game, and for that matter, it sounds like a pretty big labor to create a mod! And think how many more people may play your mods and benefit from the effort if it was a bit more accessible! I'd love a thread that lists what mods are out there, their focus, and most importantly, how to install them (DETAILS!), etc., etc.

Or should I just give up on this idea unless I'm willing to become a lot more computer savy?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Newbie to mods needs (extensive-?) help

Many mods are listed in here, look around and find one that you like the look of, and download it.

The file should come as a .pack file (inside a .rar or .zip most of the time)

What you need to do is get to the the .pack file and put it in the steam/steamapps/local/empire total war/data folder, and then download this program. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=240335

Instructions to use the program are in the thread, post here if you have problems. So you select the file in mod manager, and use the launch button. Done!
    Last edited by pevergreen; 08-04-2009 at 05:04.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Does installing a mod require you to start a new campaign? Can you go back and complete non-mod campaigns *after* installing the mod? ie, can you toggle back and forth (with re-boot, perhaps) or is it a permanent one-way street?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Its a one way thing. If you play a campaign with the british on the normal game (called vanilla in modding terms) you can't continue it in the mod, so you create a new campaign as the french, but you can't take that outside the mod.

So quick answer: Yes, Yes.

All you need to do to switch between mods and vanilla is use mod manager, tick what you want, untick what you don't want.
    Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Thanks, really appreciate the help.