Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Conseil du Royaume

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Default Conseil du Royaume

Conseil du Royaume (Council of the Kingdom)

None could quite remember when the Council of the Kingdom had begun. It had seemed as if it had always been present. Rumor even had it that the current Council building had been built on the spot where Frankish Kings and their nobles had met whenever Charlemagne felt like declaring war on the saxons, which was pretty much always.

The Council building was in the heart of Paris, next to the Royal Palace. Although longer and lower than that famed building, it was no less opulent. Visitors had to walk through a large park full of walkways and marble fountains to reach it's entrance, guarded both by heavily armored spearmen and a pair of elegant statues in the shape of lions, which seemed to prowl watchfully on either side of the main door. Once inside they had a choice to go down one of three hallways. The two to either side lead to the wings of the building in which diplomats and minor functionaries were housed. There was also, at the end of the east wing, a small armory and barracks for the guards. The hallway straight ahead from the entrance led to a pair of large oak doors, carved with scenes from france's history and guarded by more spearmen. Through those doors was the Council chamber, an immense circular room. The walls were lined with tapestries guarded by empty suits of armor, with stained glass windows depicting saints at regular intervals. The ceiling wass painted with both scenes from the book of Genesis as well as battles scenes involving French leaders such as Charles Martel and Charlemagne.

Around the room tables have been set up, all facing a dais in the center. The largest are decorated with the heraldry of the various Houses, as well as whatever additions their occupants have wished to add. Functionaries and servants dash between the tables to wait on their masters and set up. A man reaching the end of his middle years, but still of stately appearance, wearing the livery of the King, stands on the dais to make an announcement.

"The Conseil du Royaume of 1080 has begun! It shall close for voting on the 8th of August at 22:00 PST, so make your edicts, amendments, and announce Seneschal candidacies while you can."

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Council thread for the KOTF forum game. Councils are mainly concerned with proposing edicts and amendments, and putting forth candidates for the position of Seneschal. Edicts and amendments may only be proposed while the Council is in session. The opening and closing of sessions will be announced in the thread. Unless stated otherwise in the list of one's rank powers, all edicts and amendments must be seconded by two other nobles if they are to be put on the ballot.

Edicts and Amendments must be proposed in the proper manner.

Edict/Amendment A (B): Whatever I want my edict to say.

A would be the number of the session (1 for first and so on) and B would be the number of the edict in that particular session.

Last and most importantly, have fun.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Default Re: Conseil du Royaume

Gaspard de Neufville, still bruised from the recent tournament, rose to address the assembled council.

"Bons messieurs, I wish to bring to your attention the matter of the Comte de Flandres. For centuries the comte has proven lax in his obligations and duties to our roi. Indeed, but nine years ago, the current comte defeated the forces sent by our roi to bring him to heel.

Not only has the Flemish comte proved a thorn in our kingdom's side, they are also becoming more influence by the Norman Roi de L'Angleterre. Such a situation cannot be tolerated.

I therefore humbly propose that his higness, Roi Philippe, commission an reasonable army to march upon Flandres and replace the comte with one more loyal.

I offer myself to lead the expedition, having had past experience of military campaigns, and would gladly restore Flandres to Francia.

Gaspard resumes his seat.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Saruman the Wise Member deguerra's Avatar
    Melbourne, Australia (but born and bred in Germany)

Raoul mutters almost inedibly to himself. Merely something about "flemish cloth" is loud enough to be heard.
    Last edited by deguerra; 08-05-2009 at 08:40.
    Saruman the White
    Chief of the White Council, Lord of Isengard, Protector of Dunland

Senior Member Senior Member econ21's Avatar

Hermant enters the Council chambers, admiring for the first time the opulence of their display. Scarcely pausing to settle on a bench, he rises to speak:

"Your Majesty the King, his Royal Highness the Prince and our noble Dukes, there is one question above all that we must debate - which of you will lead us?

The King has called forth noblemen from across France and with their collective energy, it is clear that we can accomplish great things. And France, for all the opulence of our present surrounds, cries out for action to restore it to its proper place in Europe. But who will marshall our energies? Who will direct our actions? Who will lead France to greatness?

The King has right of first refusal to the office of Seneschal, but I believe he may be too preoccupied with other matters of state to undertake the detailed work of administration that the office requires. If my belief is wrong, I apologise but would urge him to publicly correct me on my error and to come forward to inform us on his plans for the coming term.

But if, as I believe to be the case, we are to have a public contest for the post of Seneschal, I would urge candidates to come forth and state their manifestoes. If they wait to stand until the Council session is almost done, they will lose all chance to direct our discussions in the direction they wish the Kingdom to go and they will risk being mere secretaries, performing actions that we have mandated. And, for our part, we will lose the chance to question the candidates and see them openly debate with their rivals."

Gaspard de Neufville, hearing the words of Hermant Mauvoisin, stands to address the conseil.

"Bons messieurs, I am reluctant to take this step, seeing I myself am but a chevalier, and not one of the four Ducs of the Regnum Francorum.

However, I believe that I am one of the more experienced men of war here among the assembly gathered here at this moment, and so will step forward and offer myself to his highness, Philippe, Roi de la Franks, to serve in the office of Seneschal.

I have heard in my brief stay in Paris the many complaints from the nobility of the presence of the Normans in our lands. Currently, the Duchie de Bretagne is cut off from the rest of the Regnum by Norman-held Aquitaine, Anjou, and Normandie herself.

Also, as I have mentioned earlier, the Comte de Flandres stands defiant against Philippe's rule.

So it is quite clear that the majority of the conseil desires war, and if our roi wishes it, then I will prosecute it to its fullest extent.

I therefore propose that we concentrate on reducing Normandie and Flandres first, before beginning the reduction of Anjou and Aquitaine.

The reasoning is that seizing the important city of Caen will immediately restore a safe passage to Bretagne, allowing trade and communications between that land and the royal demesne. Caen is also the gravest threat to the security of our roi, and securing it will prove to be a sure bastion to Paris.

Reducing Flandres is important, lest the renegade Comte turn to the Holy Roman Empire and seek her protection, thus preventing us from restoring it to Frankish rule.

I must urge caution, however. Our armies are not well equipped, and it will take time to raise levies and experienced veterans do not emerge overnight.

I therefore put my case before the assembled conseil."

Gaspard bows, and resumes his seat.
    Last edited by Ignoramus; 08-05-2009 at 13:36.

Ekklesia Mafia: - An exciting new mafia game set in ancient Athens - Sign up NOW!
    "Oh, how I wish we could have just one Diet session where the Austrians didn't spend the entire time complaining about something." Fredericus von Hamburg

Chretien Saisset Senior Member OverKnight's Avatar

Hugues speaks.

Well, war with England is one thing. We all know it's coming. We've fought them in the past and most likely in the future. We cannot suffer our Kingdom to be split as it is now.

However, not to be a wet blanket. . .war with England is one thing, but what happens when the Pope commands us to stop warring with a fellow Catholic nation under pain of excommunication? I can see it now, our armies on the march, castles besieged, victory speeches written and then that dreaded message comes. When threatened with excommunication would we withdraw? Would we stop the war?

While our relations with the Holy See are not as miserable as the Germans', the Pope will quickly command an end to any offensive action against England. What do we want more, war with the English or to stay within the Church?

Now, with some preperation, we could have both. But it would require a bit of patience. Perhaps not one of our strengths. Before we can launch an effective and prolonged war against the English, we need to improve our standing within the Church. We could also goad the English into war and then fight a defensive campaign against them, setting them up as the aggressors in the eyes of the Pope. If they are excommunicated, then all bets are off. Though, this would require time as well.

It's a bit of a pickle, no doubt, but we need to tread carefully.
    Last edited by OverKnight; 08-05-2009 at 14:25.
    Chretien Saisset, Chevalier in the King of the Franks PBM

Prince Louis of France (KotF) Member Ramses II CP's Avatar

Prince Louis scoffs when de Neufville announces his candidacy,

"You are not eligible to hold the position of Seneschal. Withdraw your candidacy according to the laws of our land and return to your place.

I will further warn all present; do not to presume to speak of the King's intentions. If he has something to communicate he will do so, but to speak as though you know or can guess his mind is an insult and it will not be tolerated. The royalty of France are favored by God to hold their positions, none more so than our King, and it is ill advised to speak casually of them.

Now, to the English! Why speak of war when it is mere sport, hunting down errant dogs who have the temerity to trouble our lands. War would require a formal declaration. Is such truly our course on this day?

Finally I wish to publically congratulate the victors in the Royal Tournament! Many a well struck blow landed, and honor should be done to all who participated!"

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

The discussions in the Conseil are suddenly cut short by a blast of trumpets that almost deafen those standing near the gates. A herald in the livery of the King steps in and makes an announcement in a stentorous voice.

"Nobles du Royaume de France, saluez votre Roi !! Philippe 1er, Roi des Francs !!"

He then switftly steps aside and bows deferentially to the powerful figure that strides into the room.

The King is dressed in a blue silken bliaud embroidered with lilies worked in silver thread and wears a cape of darkest blue with a white fur collar. His fingers are laden with several rings and a heavy necklace of gold chains.

But for all this finery, one cannot but get an impression of power that radiates from the man. A searching look on a severe face scans the room as the king crosses the raised dais where le Trône de France is set up.

Unfastening his cape, he drapes it on the backrest of the chair and then turns to the assembled lords, all bowed before him.

"
    Mes seigneurs, levez-vous devant votre roi et recevez sa bénédiction"

"
    As we all know, France is mine by divine mandate to rule, Dieu merci, but I have come to the conclusion that in these dire times, I will surely need all the help I can get, et ce avec l'aide de Dieu."

"This is the reason I have called upon you to sit on this Conseil and make your vocices heard as to how France is to be governed in the years to come."

"I'm glad to see so many young faces among the lot of you, that makes me confident in the future of the Franks. I'm also glad to see that so many of our old warriors are there also to lead the way and teach our younger sons les voies de la guerre, de la chevalerie et de l'honneur."

"I also wish to congratulate all of you that took part in the tournoi, for that was a fine episode of sportsmanship, and I believe me I know what it is like. Matters of state have kept me from joining but I've been a avid watcher of your exploits on the field.

Mes félicitations au Duc de Rohan... It seems that even at his young age, he's managed l'art de la guerre even if it is in some unorthodox way... It must come from fighting off the English brigands that are the scourge of our lands, of which la Bretagne is in the frontline.

I hope the gift from the Royal Stables have all been to your taste and that the court doctors I ordered sent to the field have been able to bleed you all as needed.

A mumbled reply comes from the assembly.

"I know what all of you want to hear : that we are going to wage war et bouter l'anglais hors de France.

But that will have to wait. Our treasury has suffered from all these years of war and the costs of another war woudl ruin us. In that spirit, only last year, I concluded a trade agreement with my cousin William which acts as a sort of truce between us.

France is in shambles, our cities stink, our peasants are famished, bands of marauders scour the land... All this must stop...

I will not suffer the peasantry of France to die while her nobles go fight for glory, plunder and pleasure abroad, be it to bring back into the fold provinces that rightfully should belong to my crown.

Hence I wish to put forth before this assembly an Edict that will prevent our landowners from levying troops until the bare necessities for the survival of our countrymen have not built.

Edict 1.1 : No recruitment of any kind will be allowed in towns or castles that do not have at least a small church or chapel and either farms (OOC : lvl 1) or a grain exchange.

For I will not tolerate our countrymen to die of hunger while we fight off the threat of the Englishmen nor will I tolerate our soldiers to die without a priest to give them the last rites.

This said, I will leave la gouvernance du Royaume entre vos mains in the years to come.

My advisory council has had word from our network of spies that the Allemands had plans to march on Metz, which is still unaligned. I hope that the Seneschal that will be appointed from among your number will find the means to beat them to the post and had Metz to the Realm. About 2500 florins should be recouped should we succeed. (OOC : Mission from the Council of Nobles)

Le comte de Flandres should also be made to see the light and know that it shines brightest in France.

I exhort all our valiant men to pursue those goals in the years to come. For we must gather our forces and taunt the English to attack us, casting them in the role of villains in the eyes of all Christendom.

Speaking of Christendom, France has always been the prefered child of the Church and I intend that it remains so. In that respect, and as a show of respect to the Pope in Rome, I will ask my daughter to go to Rome and present our respect to Sa Sainteté.

Once those good graces are obtained, we will fall upon the aggressors of France like a falcon on a rabbit bringing violent and unexpected death.

Pour la France, mes Seigneurs !! Pour le Roi !!

Philippe remains standing awaiting the reactions of the assembly.
    Last edited by _Tristan_; 08-05-2009 at 15:42.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

Thierry slowly stands up and bows for the King.

Seigneur, before all, I would like to thank you for your kind words adressed to the Council. I promise I will serve you and the Royaume as best as I can.

Thierry gets up, pauses and takes a deep breath. He seems a bit nervous.

Allthough I see the wisdom in building up our Kingdom before going to war against a foreign nation, I see one problem with the Edict you propose.

It is possible that the English can't wait to wage war against us. Or another foreign nation, for that matter. What if the English would break the current precious cease-fire? Your Edict, as proposed, would mean that we cannot use our full potential to recruit soldiers to defend ourselves!

I would therefore suggest that you rephrase the Edict like this:

Edict 1.1 : No recruitment of any kind will be allowed in towns or castles that do not have at least a small church or chapel and either farms (OOC : lvl 1) or a grain exchange.
    However, if a foreign nation (OOC: "Rebels" do not qualify as "foreign nation")would declare war or would commit an act of war agains the Royaume of France, the current Edict will become null and void and there will be no restrictions on recruitment until all wars with foreign nations are ended.

Thierry sits down again, a bit nervous and apparently impressed by the appearance of the King.
    Last edited by Andres; 08-05-2009 at 15:55.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

Duc Alain proceeds into the great chamber, his great poodle Medoc is now a brilliant baby blue hue and its hair is cut in such a way as to accentuate its head and tail.

His fitted chain mail armour is covered in a vest of black and white with red piping. At his side sits a long sword of fine quality.

Bowing with a fluid grace towards the King, the Prince and finally the assembled nobles he places his plumed helm on the Bretagne bench before walking some ways into the chambers centre.

"My Lords, Dukes of ze Realm, My Prince, Your Royal Highness.

It seems obvious zat reuniting ze kingdom from Norman 'ands should be our first priority. ‘owever I will defer to King Philippe that at ze present time we will build our strength and deal with those provinces controlled by bandits and rebels.

'owever for ze record and in my opinion, Caen and Bordeaux must be liberated as soon as possible.

I know I speak from a subjective point of view given the position of Bretagne, but I hope all nobles 'ere can see ze sense of it.

In addition, I agree wiz ze King and ze Duc de Champagne, ze only way to do zis is by building enough strength to attack quickly and decisively, lest we incur the rather of our most holy Pope. Patience is needed in ze first instance unless our enemies present a target of opportunity.

I would petition ze King and Prince now to let Bretagne take both Caen and Bordeaux if and when we decide to unite ze realm. This is merely because ze Duchy 'as no natural ability to expand once zis is completed.

And of course I will greatly treasure ze Black Stallion zat you have gifted me from ze royal stables your majesty. I 'ave yet to name 'im but it will be appropriate I can assure you."
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 08-05-2009 at 16:30.

Thomas de Saint-Amand rises to address the king. "Majesty, I too share your desire to secure Metz at the first opportunity."

Thomas bowed, then turned to the other counsel members assembled.
    "Knights and nobility of the Franks, I hear the cries for securing those areas held by the English, but I maintain the capture of Metz must be of the highest priority. At this very moment, our Master Spy, Aubert Fevre, only needs our word to infiltrate the castle. With his assistance and 1520 florins to raise the mercenary crossbow and spear companies, we can secure Metz this very season. The reward of 2500 florins will immediately pay the entire cost of the venture and still return a handsome reward to the treasury."

"Make no mistake, my friends. The Kaiser has his eyes firmly fixed on Metz. If it falls to the empire, the Germans will occupy a bastion from which the Reich can threaten us at any moment with armies far greater than any the English will ever threaten us with. For the sake of our security both present and future, I ask the blessing of those assembled to advance an edict to move against Metz without delay."

Thomas then takes his seat, hoping the others will take note of his words.

Prince Louis immediately stands and declaims,

"I second edict 1.1!

As for our truce with the Bastard... if the King wills it, then I will it also! Let us turn our attention to the petty rebels that trouble our countryside. In that mind I propose the following:

Edict 1.2: Brigandry is is not to be tolerated, and as such all rebel settlements bordering the nation of France are to be brought under her rule.

God willing this will secure for us the funds necessary to prosecute our eventual reclamation of our lands."

The Prince, sorting out the further debate, continues,

"Duke de Rohan it is unseemly to press your case for lands that the King has just declared we will not seek to retake. I encourage you to withdraw your claim. I suggest the two of us discuss the status of Bordeaux in private rather than before all this rabb... which is to say, waste the time of these noblemen."

Standing from his seat, Alain bows to the Prince from the Bretagne bench.

"As you wish Dauphine.

My Duchy is isolated, and we are threatened severely. Removing ze threat is ze only course of action I can see.

We can discuss zis at a later time as you wish."

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

Christophe de Perronne sits quietly, listening to the discussions and nodding briefly whenever Prince Louis speaks. However, upon hearing the mention of "brigandry" in the Prince's proposed Edict, he freezes in place and glaces around the room, warily. After a few moments of silent contempation, he speaks.

I second Edict 1.2.

Thierry raises again.

Gentlemen, it seems like you are all assuming that the English will patiently wait while we conquer rebel settlements.

I can see the wisdom in building up our Kingdom and only attack when we are strong enough, but what if the English decide to attack first?

Should we not at least be able to recruit troops in case the English decide to violate the current truce? I strongly recommend to rephrase Edict 1.1. as I proposed.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

King Philippe of France Senior Member _Tristan_'s Avatar

I second Edict 1.2

I also second the rewording of my Edict by le Sieur de Rochefort.

Better be safe than sorry, as they say Outre-Manche.

Now, which of our Dukes will run for the ppsition of Seneschal du Royaume de France ?

Philippe scans the ranks of the Dukes.
    King Baldwin the Tyrant, King of Jerusalem, Warden of the Holy Sepulchre, Slayer of Sultans in the Crusades Hotseat (new write-up here and previous write-up here)
    Methodios Tagaris, Caesar and Rebelin LotR
    Mexica Sunrise : An Aztec AAR

Philippe 1er de France
    in King of the Franks

Thierry nods in the direction of the King.

Thank you, mon Roi.

Ja mata, TosaInu

The young Duke is scanning a number of letters being presented to him by various men in the colours of the Bretagne duchy. After reading them and listening to those nobles speaking he stands.

"zere is real concern your 'ighness zat ze English will simply attack Bretagne while we spend our resources on roads and churches.

As long as we 'ave a credible force in Rennes zen I would be comfortable wiz even your reworded edict. But if ze English attack it will be far too late to zen begin recruitment.

What are your thoughts on ze matter my lords?"

Gazing around the hall he takes the eye of the Prince, King and de Champagne.

"As for ze position of Seneschal, I am prepared to step forward and present myself for consideration in front of zis Council."
    Last edited by AussieGiant; 08-05-2009 at 16:58.

Taking a deep breath Simon steps forward to address the other nobles.

Mon Roi, Lords of the Realm! It is an honour to speak before you today. As many of you are already aware the reputation of King Phillipe has been my inspiration to bind the nobles of France under one Oath. An Oath to Chivalry that will make the Knights of France known throughout the world for their nobility in battle and magnanimity when dealing with their friends and foes. My hope is therefor that every knight will swear the Oath of Chivalry and help to uphold what it stands for. What better way to mark our standing above and beyond the rest of Europes knights.

To the matters at hand I would like to offer my support for bringing us in the good Graces of the Holy See. It is important that he fully recognizes us for the righteous Christians we are. That's why I wish to propose the following Edict.

Edict 1.3
    The Seneshal will recruit three clergymen to spread the faith in our regions and reduce the Heretics that plague our country.

Also the proposal of Thomas de Saint-Armand has much merrit in my eyes. Should he put forth an Edict it would have my full support.

I also second Edict 1.1 and Edict 1.2.
    The lions sing and the hills take flight.
    The moon by day, and the sun by night.
    Blind woman, deaf man, jackdaw fool.
    Let the Lord of Chaos rule.

—chant from a children's game heard in Great Aravalon, the Fourth Age

Christophe de Perronne snickers when de Montpierre mentions his hopes for a unanimous Oath of Chivalry.

Prepare yourself for disappointment, de Montpierre.

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Bertin rises from his chair to address Simon.

Chevalier de Montpierre, allow me to introduce the necessary edict for chevalier de Saint-Amand.
    Edict 1.4: Mercenary crossbowmen and spearmen will be recruited Immediately to aid Thomas de Saint-Amand in capturing Metz.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Thierry looks at Simon de Montpierre, pretending utter disbelief. He slowly raises.

Sieur de Montpierre, really now. Chivarly?

We are surrounded by rebels and we have English dogs waiting to tear us apart and you speak of "chivarly". We'll be lucky if we manage to survive all these threats. Keep your chivarly for fairy tales or for the moment where we are so powerful that we outnumber all our foes combined. Until then, I'd prefer realism. There are more important matters at hand than being "chivalrous". This is not a tournament were the worst that can happen to you is a damaged helmet or a broken lance.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Alexandre rises to make his voice heard and motions for the opportunity to speak

I must thank our glorious and noble king for the tournament and the trusty stead he hath bestowed me. I have named him vaillant.
    I have heard from scouts about the size and composition of the English threat and I put forward a course of action, though it might take a few edicts.

My King, Dukes and fellow knights. We have not the force to defend or attack the English nor can we train priests as we have not the barracks nor the churches. We need to buy time. I second edict 1.3 due to the reward that will only help us.
    Also I second Edict 1.2
    I propose we build facilities and hire mercenaries to defend us and seek an alliance with The Holy Roman Empire, The Papal States and Milan. I believe we should consider either an alliance with England or friendly relations to halt a war till we can fight one.
    Perhaps a wedding between our prince and the English princess would give us the time we seek.

Thankyou for hearing me my lords.
    Last edited by Marcus Agrippa; 08-05-2009 at 19:34.

Alexandre Le Sueur
    Chevalier of The Order of the Fleur de Lys
    Servant of France and Bretagne

Yes Sieur de Rochefort, Chivalry. We are not some peasants that toil around in the mud. We are nobles and graced by God. We should feel honoured to be able to return some of this grace by showing respect to our fellow nobles. If we don't do it, who will? And more importantly, if we don't do it what do we become? Some of you call the English dogs, we would be worse without honour!

Thierry grins as he starts imitating a dog:

"Woof! Woof! Woof!"

He bursts out in laughter.

Of course de Montpierre, we'll see how chivalrous you'll run away when the captives you released so chivalrously come back with their friends. I for one will show no mercy to whoever dares to pick up weapons against the Royaume.

Thierry sits down, silently producing barking sounds and softly laughing.
    Last edited by Andres; 08-05-2009 at 19:54.

Ja mata, TosaInu

Simon smiles broadly.

At least you have a sense of humour. Maybe a closer study of the Oath will reveal to you that it is not all that you fear it to be.

Cthonic God of Deception Member ULC's Avatar
    In the swirling maddening chaos of the cosmos unseen to man...

Gaetan de Rethel stands up and shakes his head at Bertin's proposal.

"It is not needed Bertin, the forces at Lorraine's disposal are more then enough to handle Metz, and Bruges as well."

"I suggest we instead concentrate upon where our forces need to be deployed - this talk of recruiting more men versus building infrastructure is pointless, because we are looking at it in far to black and white a way."

"Instead, let us reinforce Paris and Rennes with men, they being the most vulnerable, and allow both Aquitiane to recapture the Spanish March and Lorriane, with the blessing of the King, move on both Metz and Bruges. During this time, the Houses actively engaged in reclaiming Frankish territory will construct public works in their respective capitals - let us start with roads, farms and churches, in that order."

I suspect that the only way de Rochefort will fear your Oath, most noble and honorable Sir de Montpierre, is if he finds himself relying on a man such as you to aid him in battle. Say what you will about honor, but I would rather be a live dog than a dead noble. They both stink the same, but at least the dog can still $#@&.

Good to know your priorities then. I hope I'll never have to rely on you while there are some b$#@!%# around.

Page 1 of 32 1234511 ... LastLast