Thread: Camping

Default Camping

I was playing a battle last night and the other teams 24 lbers on a hill kind of way on his side. reached clear across the map to my sidewith grape shot while my 24 lbers also on a hill actually higher and a clear line of fire only made it about 2/3's of the way across this seems odd to me has this happened to anyone? Besides mortars what canons have the best range?
    Last edited by ZIM!!; 08-06-2009 at 21:02.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

Default Re: Camping

as of now, any foot or horse arty but howitzers have 400 range with roundshot, 150 with canister, and 350 with shrapnel.

howitzers are 350 for all of theirs, and rockets are 750.

in 1 battle on MP, i got so bored i decided i would rather lose and see some action than sit there while our cannons shot at eachother, across a field too long for either. i think the farthest shot either of us had before i advanced was like 50-90 feet in front of my cannons.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Its the schapnel shot exploit

You can tell your arty to fire beyond their range with the shapnel shot and inflict casualties

they were using a game glitch exploit to win

one of the many reasons MP TW is doomed, if it isnt already dead

I got better things to do than spend an hour to boost some campers stats

And if it wasnt that, it'd be armies of fergusons - basically because there is only one type of game - the game lends itself to be exploited by people desparate for virtual ego boosting.
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

I guess the way I look at it is this - an "exploit" is something that gives one side an unfair advantage over the other.

So if 24lb cannons can overshoot thier range - both sides can use that.

If it were something that only one side can use, I would agree that it is an exploit, and should be banned, but since both sides can use it, what's the issue?

I've been in some truly Great Games where both sides open up by peppering each other's line with shrapnel shot for a few minutes before advancing the troops.

You know the more I play this game MP the more frustrating it is. I'm still having trouble getting into games although not as much as before.

Joinable games to begin with are usually too few

Of those games that are joinable and unlocked some of the games listed are corrupt like the games been listed there for like 5 hours with 3/4 people.

Then if you get into a game it sometimes takes forever for people to join

And then you finally get enough people everybody hits ready(cross your fingers) you drop into the game and people lag out this happens in too many games

Then there's always somebody that either didn’t listen or just wasn’t told the rules and in a game that was 1 ship only somebody brought 7 heavy first rates, and he just steamrolls everyone despite calls to have the extra units withdraw.

Of course there's the mid game lag outs( I hate this) or the host quits and the game crashes so others cant continue.

And the quiters due to excessive and unsportsman like taunting.

Ive spent hours before Ive actually had 1 game that was actually smooth running and went from beginning to end with all players present.

It just takes way too much time trying to find and get into a good game.

i agree. almost no games available, even fewer you can join, even fewer without passwords, and even fewer i actually want to do.

at the end, i end up narrowing it down to either 0-3.

This has always been the case with TW titles;

you can sit around waiting for an hour for a game, then you've goto hope that its idiot free

This is why the TW community became a strong and tight group, with codes of conduct etc, because when you might only get 1 or 2 games in a night - you want them to be fun games - not a waste of time. So its a closed group and they wont play with strangers.

Thats also the reason for the lock games - its the community locking out the random losers (and lets face it, in online games there are lots o losers).

My advice join in the community via repspected clans and competitions and get yourself a big group of fun players who want to play for the excitement and challenge and not FTW. And in no time there will be planty of games to be played.

This would be helped by CA coming to the party with mo maps and mo game types and balacing of the units. Otherwise there might not be a community to join.
    Last edited by Yun Dog; 08-13-2009 at 06:43.
    Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post
    its pevergeren.

Senior Member Senior Member Tomisama's Avatar

Gents, that’s what your Friends List is for; building your own private community of trusted dependable and respectable players.

Select the Players button (lower left of Steam overlay) and see the list players of any game that you are currently playing, or have recently played (not sure how far back it will keep). And when you find people you would like to play again, you can select to add them to your friends list. They have to ok the listing, but that should be no problem if you have been a decent opponent or teammate. So there you are, with a verified list of people that you don’t have to worry about playing again.

If you make a mistake and pick a person that turns out to be a jerk, you can fix that real quick. On the open Friends list, right click on that person to see a drop down menu of very useful options. You can investigate them with View Steam Page and View Aliases, our dump them with Remove This Friend and Block All Communication. I don’t know if you can unblock them in the future, so be careful with that one.

Sweet Sailing All
    Last edited by Tomisama; 08-13-2009 at 14:10.
    HONOUR IS VICTORY - GO WITH HONOUR - KEEP THE CODE

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198003816474

i am in a steam group with like 109 people in it, so i cannot view them, and thus cannot join. kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Prussian Iron View Post
    i am in a steam group with like 109 people in it, so i cannot view them, and thus cannot join. kinda sucks.
    Steam Groups can help you identify common interests, but there is no link other than the Group page.

But Steam Friends can be viewed across different servers, and called into games no matter what server you are on.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

gah. This is exactly why i stopped playing ETW multiplayer after a few rounds.

Some maps (provence?) are especially prone to promoting stale gameplay where the side with the geographic advantage camps ina game of "chicken", with it's rifles, arty and stakes. I absolutely abhor it.

I've tried storming their positions a few times but I'm probably not good enough to unlock their defenses. The main tactical problems I had were that:

• Cannon (esp horse arty) can't maneuvre or deploy fast enough on entering counter battery range to suppress or otherwise sufficiently distract enemy batteries or even bombard enemy infantry lines.
    • Infantry formations are not easy (or quick) to reform into column or line formations -essential to proper/effective maneuvres & engagement
    • Over-use of stakes means that you can't really use shock cavalry much
    • General requriement for intensive micro-ing of almost every detail (arty targetting, infantry formations, use of special abilities e.g. grenades, all unit maneuvring) means that you don't have time to adequately control any aspect of your forces sufficiently

Or at least those were my main problems, although I can't discount that I might just be a rubbish general with insufficient tactical nous.

My opponents may also have well practiced their static defensive positions.

Don't forget that the lag is horrible and makes giving orders hard.

Humm I don't have too much lag in MP. You could try lowering your graphics settings if your hosting if your not it could the the hosts problem or just a problem with the internet connection somewhere.

I think even if a guest is having lag that can cause problems for the host too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg View Post
    The game will be slowed to the speed of the slowest players equipment; be it poor connection or under qualified computer. Think about it, how could it be otherwise?

Zerg, did you get rid of your BT Hub yet?

Will look for you Sunday afternoon (evening for you)

Quote Originally Posted by Zerg View Post
    Humm I don't have too much lag in MP. You could try lowering your graphics settings if your hosting if your not it could the the hosts problem or just a problem with the internet connection somewhere.

Well I know it's not me causing the lag so it must be the host.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomisama View Post
    Zerg, did you get rid of your BT Hub yet?

Will look for you Sunday afternoon (evening for you)
    No its not just mine its the famly thing I need to convince them I know best

Quote Originally Posted by A1_Unit View Post
    Well I know it's not me causing the lag so it must be the host.
    Could be, or lag somewhere in the internet between you and the host.