Thread: Rally: How do you do it

Hello all. Here's another question for the Daimyos here. I've never been able to rally. How does one do it. It always says 'unit selection is unable to rally'. I've tried ctrl-clickong the taisho and a low morale unt close by, but the Taisho still can't rally them. Does the unit have to be routing to rally?
    The art of war is of vital importance to the state. It is a matter of life and death, a road to either safety or to ruin. Hence under no circumstances can it be neglected.

I misunderstood that myself at first. Rally is really only for routing troops, yes. And it only works when they're at a safe distance from their attackers and their morale begins to improve that you can force a rally.

Duff
    Duff -
    Look for me online as HIRO SAITO

The rally command is used when you have a particular unit routing and you want to stop it routing.

When your general dies and you are being pursued there are only a few chances that you will ever rally your units.

------------------
    Honour to Clan No Fear.

Visit my resource centre at: http://terazawa.totalwar.org

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Rally has saved my life. I've come back into battles and won just by hitting the Rally button! Use it whenever you can...
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa

Senior Member Senior Member BlackWatch McKenna's Avatar

The Rally Button is a nutty thing.

If you have "chosen" a unit, and it is a safe distance from an attacker, and no attackers are chasing it, then click on the color icon of The Fan (aka the rally button).

Keep clicking until your mouse explodes. As long as the icon is In Color, you have "a chance" of rallying those fleeing troops.

After Rallying, Chill Out for a second.
    Tiredness effects moral, as does Charging the guys who just made you run away.

Oh, and none of that stuff ever happens to me cuz i am always winning and no one in my army ever dies and my guys never run for the hills (?)

------------------
    // Black
    // "Did we win?"
    // Black

// "Did we win?"

Rally does work well and can save you a lost battle. As others pointed out you must allow sufficient space from enemy units and time to recover.
    I saved a battle just last night using the Rally command. As Oda, I was attacked by Uesugi in Owari (early in game). I was mostly Ashi with a few archer and Sams. Uesugi was mostly Archer and some Same. I defended left/west Bridge successfully, sent 3 units flanking over right/east bridge and was pushing retreating Uesugi units when for whatever reason (tired, distance from taisho unit, just being Ashis) my units started to rout. (I think main culprit was small archer unit that got out front and began to rout took nearby Ashi and the domino affect). I selected Taisho unit, left click select all and selected Rally flag (when highlighed/colored in) and had the responding units Rally on a hill north of river.
    Uesugi also recovered and began advancing, as they got nearer to my line (hold position/formation), a few of his units began wavering. I advanced enmasse and Uesugi Taisho turned tail.
    I walked my forces to the border as all were very tired and the flankers were unsteady. Battle over, Province saved.

------------------
    The only thing you have to regret are the chances not taken.
    Expect the unexpected and take in air.
    The only thing you have to regret are the chances not taken.
    Expect the unexpected and take in air.

When ever you see your units have that white flag popin' up just Press Ctrl-A to select all and Keep poundin' that R key until your Keyboard breaks. Thing of it as Arcard's Tekken series, "Don't thing bout strategy and just pound that Button(sucker)"
    "War is Peace." - Newspeak

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

yep that's the way to go, ctrl+a and r. Any decent mp player will be pursuing your breaking units so this probably isn't going to work, what ohter reason to take Cav or ashi . After you've rallied make sure to give the unit a rest before sending it back into action, preferably place it behind a unit that hasn't brokewn to recover for a bit. Units like to be close to each other, so if you've managed to rally you need to find some high ground and reform your army there. Do that and you can win

------------------
    Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

The real question is, how do you use rout?

------------------
    "Failure is not an option"
    I will be Baron of the world.

Summa Rudis Senior Member Catiline's Avatar

select a unit press ctrl+O, though why you'd want to rout begs a question, just wihtdraw instead

------------------
    Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows
    Quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra

errr, i've never routed, only joking

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

If your army is too close to your starting position,your end of the province,your troops might not have time to rally before they're off the field,it does take some time.If the enemy is in hot pursuit and is close behind the routing unit/units they will not rally.If they do rally but other units are routing near or through them they will rout again.Try to move them to the side away from any other routing units or pursuing enemy.If your Taisho is still alive,and not routing/or has rallied,try to manuever whatever units you've rallied toward him if possible.Rest them awhile if you can,if they are too tired they will rout again when ordered to attack.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*