Thread: A few bizarre issues

Question A few bizarre issues

Well, two issues. One is simple enough, and doesn't really affect the game. The other, however, is really, really weird.

Firstly, in custom battles the Byzantines can build Culverins and Mortars, but instead of the unit name it just says "Unlocalized Placement Text." Again, not all that odd, and doesn't affect playability. I just thought I'd bring it to your attention, although I'm not sure if its necessarily a problem with the mod or just some kind of fluke.

The other problem I'm having is that there seem to be two "layers" to the map that aren't matching up. I know very little about how the maps are constructed so I don't really know the terminology to describe this problem, so hopefully a screenie will help illustrate it for you.

(Sorry I didn't put this in the 'spoiler' thing, I'm not sure how to do that)

The red circle marks where my cursor was when I took the screenshot. As you can see, although it looks like my cursor is over the North Sea, it's actually over York as far as the game is concerned. Same goes with the Irish Sea and Dublin.

Is this a common problem? I first installed VanillaMod yesterday and it ran beautifully, but I've had this problem all day today.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

Default Re: A few bizarre issues

Hmmm I haven't changed any map things in this version at all, so that is very odd.

Delete map.rwm (and starting a new game) and see if that helps?

Re: naming, yes that is indeed a known issue. In the original, Byz had almost no gunpowder artillery outside of bombards and given that the player may well make Byz a bigger power lasting further than its real historical counterpart, I threw in some makeshift-artillery.
    Last edited by FactionHeir; 08-15-2009 at 23:57.
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

Well, having tried a few things, it seems that I have the map problem whenever I use a shortcut to vanillamod.bat, but everything works fine if I run the file itself. Still weird, but at least I know I can work around it.

Relentless Bughunter Senior Member FactionHeir's Avatar

That's really odd, sorry no idea what's causing it - seems to be Windows related?
    Want gunpowder, mongols, and timurids to appear when YOU do?
    Playing on a different timescale and never get to see the new world or just wanting to change your timescale?
    Click here to read the solution
    Annoyed at laggy battles? Check this thread out for your performance needs
    Got low fps during siege battles in particular? This tutorial is for you
    Want to play M2TW as a Vanilla experience minus many annoying bugs? Get VanillaMod Visit the forum Readme
    Need improved and faster 2H animations? Download this! (included in VanillaMod 0.93)

I reckon so, there doesn't seem to be any problem with the files themselves.

But excellent work on this mod, besides that one weird problem I've been really enjoying it.

Hi, I had exactly the same problem a while ago, didn't have a clue why it was happening.

But for some reason I found out that if you put widescreen on in the video options, it seems to cure this problem. Very strange solution to a problem like that but it seemed to work!

Hope this helps