Thread: Woman Blogs About Police, Goes to Jail. Fair? Unfair?

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Question Woman Blogs About Police, Goes to Jail. Fair? Unfair?

This is an interesting case, and I'd like to hear Orgahs' opinions on the matter.

So this lady in Charlottesville, VA has been blogging obsessively about her local PD, which is no big deal. But then she takes it kind of far:

It's fair to say that Ms. Strom was unusually focused on the Jefferson Area Drug Enforcement task force, a 14-year-old unit drawn mainly from the police departments of Charlottesville, Albemarle County and the University of Virginia. (Her blog at http://iheartejade.blogspot.com, expresses the view that the task force is "nothing more than a group of arrogant thugs.") In a nearly year-long barrage of blog posts, she published snapshots she took in public of many or most of the task force's officers; detailed their comings and goings by following them in her car; mused about their habits and looks; hinted that she may have had a personal relationship with one of them; and, in one instance, reported that she had tipped off a local newspaper about their movements.

Predictably, this annoyed law enforcement officials, who, it's fair to guess, comprised much of her readership before her arrest. But what seems to have sent them over the edge -- and skewed their judgment -- is Ms. Strom's decision to post the name and address of one of the officers with a street-view photo of his house.

All this information was publicly available, including the photograph, which Ms. Strom gleaned from municipal records.

Apparently Virginia has a "harassment by identification" statute, which allowed the police to arrest her for her posts.

So, is she a martyr to freedom of speech? Or has she crossed a line by posting the home address of an officer? What say the Orgahs?

Personally, I think she was in the wrong, although the legal implications of jailing someone for posting publicly available information are troubling. But still, she's in the wrong.
    Last edited by Lemur; 08-16-2009 at 16:07.

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

Default Re: Woman Blogs About Police, Goes to Jail. Fair? Unfair?

If the information was publicly avaliable anyway, then it's hard to say that she's done anything seriously wrong. I wouldn't call her a martyr to freedom of speech though, she's obviously just a nutter.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Well, given how the world works these days, there's a lot of information about you available to anyone who has the obsession time. Should there be consequences for those who aggregate and organize that information when it could bring harm to the subject?

Should there be laws that cover aggregators, or should we work harder on making more information private?
    Last edited by Lemur; 08-16-2009 at 16:45.

She shouldn't have been arrested. It's just a blog.

She broke the law yes, but there are all kinds of crazy statutes...

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Unfair. She may be obsessed, but that law against 'harassment' is stupid. The cops provided no evidence that she was actually harming them in any way.

And they're really lousy at being 'undercover' if she found all this out about them. Compiling information should definitely not be a crime.

Eugene Volokh, what I would call an expert, also has this to say;
    One thing I stress in the article is that much (though not all) such crime-facilitating speech does have value to law-abiding readers as well. Knowing the identity of an undercover police officer can help noncriminals know which of their acquaintances aren't what they seem, and can help criminal defense lawyers figure out how to better defend their clients. Even knowing a person's home address could be useful if you want to organize picketing of their homes. Such residential picketing could be restricted by city ordinance, but in some cities it isn't; and even if focused residential picketing is banned by a city ordinance, parading through the targets; neighborhood in order to express your message of condemnation to the targets' neighbors is constitutionally protected. See Madsen v. Women’s Health Ctr., 512 U.S. 753, 775 (1994); Frisby v. Schultz, 487 U.S. 474, 480-81 (1988).
    CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    Well, given how the world works these days, there's a lot of information about you available to anyone who has the obsession time. Should there be consequences for those who aggregate and organize that information when it could bring harm to the subject?

Should there be laws that cover aggregators, or should we work harder on making more information private?
    Quite the opposite, in my opinion. Most countries need laws making more information available to the citizens. Information is power, and the less of it conserved to government discretion, the better.

Any information that is publicly available, is publicly available. If a blogger can access and aggregate it, you can be sure villains can and will. This woman wouldn't have made it any easier for organised "bad" people to find this policeman if they wanted - which is, I presume, the rationale for implying this should be illegal.

Government agencies ought to get used to the idea they work for the citizenry, and in most cases, the citizen has a right to information. If someone working in law enforcement or national security may be exposed, then a judge should be approached prior to need, and a case made to suppress the information on their identity from the public record.

I would have thought your First Amendment would have trumped any tin-pot local statute - but then that Constitution seems to be largely ignored these days. And then we get into a discussion about whether bloggers have the same consideration as "mainstream" journalism.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

I think the legal consensus that's congealing in the courts and state legislatures is that bloggers have exactly the same rights and responsibilities as "normal" journos.

The First Amendment has many exceptions, including the age-old "yell fire in a crowded theater" chestnut. There are also State Secrets, which are rightfully and justly exempted from free speech. Libel, slander, incitement to violence, the list goes on.

I dunno, posting the identity and home address of undercover police strikes me as serving little or no public benefit while endangering a schlub who puts his life on the line for his community. Don't see the upside, and the downside is obvious.

Member Senior Member Proletariat's Avatar

She's crazy like we all agree but who cares, the undercover cops should be more undercover. Let them be a little scared

Great thing we have here, even if it's a little irrelevant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom...ited_States%29

L'Etranger Senior Member Banquo's Ghost's Avatar
    Hunting the Snark, a long way from Tipperary...

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur View Post
    I dunno, posting the identity and home address of undercover police strikes me as serving little or no public benefit while endangering a schlub who puts his life on the line for his community. Don't see the upside, and the downside is obvious.
    I don't disagree, except the information was already public. The downside was already extant.
    "If there is a sin against life, it consists not so much in despairing as in hoping for another life and in eluding the implacable grandeur of this one."
    Albert Camus "Noces"

Kanto Kanrei Member Marshal Murat's Avatar

I would think most police officers information is public, but looking it up and then moving it into a more public spotlight is endangering the officer who is trying to work undercover.
    "Nietzsche is dead" - God

"I agree, although I support China I support anyone discovering things for Science and humanity." - lenin96

Re: Pursuit of happiness
    Have you just been dumped?

I ask because it's usually something like that which causes outbursts like this, needless to say I dissagree completely.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshal Murat View Post
    I would think most police officers information is public, but looking it up and then moving it into a more public spotlight is endangering the officer who is trying to work undercover.
    I really don't think it is though. This isn't like a movie where johnny depp spends years undercover for a mafia family trying to get into the inner circle. This is a local drug unit where "undercover" means he's the guy who pretends to be buying drugs from someone in order to bust them.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WaPo article
    But the real problem here is the Virginia statute, in which an overly broad, ill-defined ban on harassment-by-identification, specifically in regard to police officers, seems to criminalize just about anything that might irritate targets.
    Yes, that. Therefore = 'Unfair', imo.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    Unfair.
    You can say that, but I bet you're just getting a bit nervous.

*mails links to CR's Backroom posts to the Seattle PD*
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

She's a stalker and should be happy not to live in Russia.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Blog Entries

I gotta say... I'm actually with the Police on this one. Officer's addresses and phone numbers are suppressed from the general populace for a reason...

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

I've heard some pretty disturbing threats made against police officers, many of which there's no way to post under Org rules while still representing how awful they are, and many involving plans for unspeakable things being done to the spouse, the officer's young children, and other innocent family members, in addition to more normal death threats. At least one was recently prevented from carrying out such threats only because the officer involved happened to carry a firearm off duty.

I don't know much about Virginia law, but if they found a charge to bring against her, I'm all for it.
    Last edited by Zim; 08-16-2009 at 23:33.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

So, she provides an easy guide for felons & their associates to find the cop that busted them an enable said criminals to exact revenge on him and/or his family. Those that think that's a good thing have a pretty twisted sense of right & wrong imo.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    So, she provides an easy guide for felons & their associates to find the cop that busted them an enable said criminals to exact revenge on him and/or his family. Those that think that's a good thing have a pretty twisted sense of right & wrong imo.
    How many cops are attacked by the people they put in prison? How many people read her blog?

All the information is public record, 5 minutes of googling could get you the officers name and address.

Key phrase is "goes to jail. fair?"...clearly it isn't.

The very model of a modern Moderator Xiahou's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    How many cops are attacked by the people they put in prison? How many people read her blog?

All the information is public record, 5 minutes of googling could get you the officers name and address.

Key phrase is "goes to jail. fair?"...clearly it isn't.
    If they were going to take the time to look up her blog, they could just as easily look up the information elsewhere- as it's publicly illegal. If the officer arrests and obtains evidence against a criminal, they would already know his identity. The accused has the right to confront and question his accusers in court.

So yeah, my initial reaction is that she did nothing wrong. It sounds like the police used a vague, badly written law to intimidate someone they didn't like.

Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    I think the legal consensus that's congealing in the courts and state legislatures is that bloggers have exactly the same rights and responsibilities as "normal" journos.
    And "normal" journalists should have no more or less rights and privileges than you or I. Unless I'm mistaken, journalist is not defined anywhere in the Constitution. It really gets my hackles up when they start talking about themselves like they're members of some special privileged caste.
    "Don't believe everything you read online."
    -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    And "normal" journalists should have no more or less rights and privileges than you or I. Unless I'm mistaken, journalist is not defined anywhere in the Constitution.
    There are a whole bunch of laws not defined directly in the Constitution. Originalist thinking won't getcha far when you complain about local lawn ordinances.

Most states have some sort of shield law.

Amphibious Trebuchet Salesman Member Whacker's Avatar

I'm going to weigh in on the side of chickie here, I don't think she did anything wrong. As Xiahou pointed out, the accused has the right to know and face their accuser in a court of law. SLEO's are public servants and deal with issues of human rights daily, ergo they can and should be held to the utmost rigorous standards of conduct and public scrutiny. This is a key form of checks and balances for power.

Quote Originally Posted by Xiahou View Post
    And "normal" journalists should have no more or less rights and privileges than you or I. Unless I'm mistaken, journalist is not defined anywhere in the Constitution. It really gets my hackles up when they start talking about themselves like they're members of some special privileged caste.
    For the most part, I would agree with you. However, Lemur does have a good point as well. I am generally in favor of "Shield" type laws. Information is power, and one of the ways that is disseminated to the masses is through media outlets. The many unsavory things that might not show our government or other entities in good lights need to get out into the open. A special caste? Hell no. But should journalists have a ways and means to go about their jobs with some manners of protection in place so they can actually do it? Sure.
    Last edited by Banquo's Ghost; 08-17-2009 at 08:29. Reason: Rectified unfortunate spelling mistake

"Justice is the firm and continuous desire to render to everyone
    that which is his due."
    - Justinian I

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

How many cops are attacked by the people they put in prison?
    These cops deal with drug gangs and organized crime not with run of the mill small time felons. Check out how many law enforcement personnel *Mexican & US* are murdered on our southern border by drug gangs.

Ever notice when the news films a major drug arrest that any video of the task force members involved have their faces blacked out, interviews/statements have the voice distorted, to protect their identities? It's pretty obvious why, right?

Did she post this with the intent to endanger their lives? Probably not. From the little bit of info we have it appears her vendetta is personal, love relationship gone bad maybe?

reported that she had tipped off a local newspaper about their movements.
    Right there she's attempting to interfere with an ongoing investigation that at best could scotch weeks/months of police work, and at worst get somebody hurt or killed. For what, because somebody dumped her?

So, let's turn it around. One of these cops does to her what she is accused of doing. Should the cop be arrested? The correct answer is yes.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

§ 18.2-186.4. Use of a person’s identity with the intent to coerce, intimidate, or harass; penalty.
    It shall be unlawful for any person, with the intent to coerce, intimidate, or harass another person, to publish the person’s name or photograph along with identifying information as defined in clauses (iii) through (ix), or clause (xii) of subsection C of § 18.2-186.3, including identification of the person’s primary residence address. Any person who violates this section is guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    Any person who violates this section knowing or having reason to know that person is a law-enforcement officer, as defined in § 9.1-101, is guilty of a Class 6 felony. The sentence shall include a mandatory minimum term of confinement of six months.
    It doesn't sound like a silly statute at all. What this woman did amounts to stalking. A mandatory sentence of 6 months in confinement because the victims were police officers seems overboard, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Suspect's blog
    The above is intriguing in that it seems to support what I’ve repeatedly stated: publishing pictures and other identifying information of Law Enforcement is not a crime. What is illegal -- and I knew this already -- is harassment, which is the angle the aforesaid code plays. Really what it boils down to is motivation.

I deny my intent was to harass Dasani. I’m not trying to harass any of the officers. I HeArTE JADE is, and has been, a means to exhibit some of the things I’ve experienced because of my curiosity about, and interest in, the JADE Task Force.

I suppose though, when it comes to my actual motives and what I say vs what a group of Law Enforcement claim my motives are and what they feel, the latter people are all that matter.

With that in mind, I expect what will come out in court, in my defense, will still be scandalous for Jefferson Area Drug Enforcement.
    Not very convincing.

Well, to me it looks a lot like stalking and besides, here you cannot publish pictures of a single person without their permission, I think it needs at least 3 or more people to be considered a group photo or it has to be a person of public interest, like a movie star or politician. Posting dozens of pictures of policemen, possibly their families etc. sounds like stalking and/or invasion of privacy to me.
    Would you think it's fine if some guy kept following your wife around and publishing pictures of her on his blog, Xiahou?

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Darkside Medic Senior Member rory_20_uk's Avatar
    Blog Entries

All the info is in public view. If people abuse the police numbers that is the fault of the individual - not the person who posted it, nor the server that hosted the web page, nor the telephone company that connected the call.

If the police aren't managing to be under cover perhaps they aren't doing agreat job in the first place. Telling journos a fact isn't tipping the suspects off.

An enemy that wishes to die for their country is the best sort to face - you both have the same aim in mind.
    Science flies you to the moon, religion flies you into buildings.
    "If you can't trust the local kleptocrat whom you installed by force and prop up with billions of annual dollars, who can you trust?" Lemur
    If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain.
    The best argument against democracy is a five minute talk with the average voter. Winston Churchill

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I imagine that it's hard to go undercover if every move you make is being watched and reported by an embittered banshee.
    But that point is neither here nor there, since she's not being prosecuted for hindering police operations. I think it's pretty clear that what she did is illegal according to the statute I just cited.

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Wouldn't jailing her give more coverage to her blog? Maybe that's her angle?
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

'Predictably, this annoyed law enforcement officials, who, it's fair to guess, comprised much of her readership before her arrest. But what seems to have sent them over the edge -- and skewed their judgment -- is Ms. Strom's decision to post the name and address of one of the officers with a street-view photo of his house.'

Extremely irresponsible, that is no longer harrasment that is endangering the life of this man and his family, he will probably have to move.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Pretty unfair.....

Considering much what I saw in FB......... abouy... oopsss

Seriously.... Saying something in the internet is somewhat ridiculous IF you are threatened by the law.... because more men outta here write more things more henious and disturbing.... and still free.....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC