• Houston Texans

0 0%
  • San Diego Chargers

0 0%
  • Philadelphia Eagles

2 6.90%
  • New York Giants

1 3.45%
  • Washington Redskins (this is for you, Prole)

1 3.45%
  • Dallas Cowboys

2 6.90%
  • Green Bay Packers

4 13.79%
  • Chicago Bears

0 0%
  • Minnesota Vikings

3 10.34%
  • New Orleans Saints

2 6.90%
  • Atlanta Falcons

1 3.45%
  • Seattle Seahawks

0 0%
  • Arizona Cardinals

0 0%
  • Gah/some other team

4 13.79%
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Official 2009-10 NFL thread

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Official 2009-10 NFL thread

I think khaan and I are the only ones who don't have any upset picks.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

No blackout in cincy! Thank you Kroger!

If you want to see what games are showing you in your area you can check at this guys website:

http://the506.com/nflmaps/index.html

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H.Tito
    Watch DET come out and bite us all in the butt. Kukri love that!
    Heh. Small chance (most online sports books have it Nawlins by 13.5; Ha! Therefore, I took them as a long-shot in my workplace pool). The Lions' best shot this year is early in the season, before anybody else gets hurt, against teams that prepare poorly, thinking DET is a push-over.

That said, I'll count a 5-11 season for them as an "epic win" on the comeback trail. :)
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Wow, Chiefs-Ravens has proven to be interesting. KC just took the lead 14-10. Their offense has been nonexistent but Baltimore's made a ton of mistakes.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur

Well, this one of those defeats you can laugh at. With a bengal lead and 20 seconds left, orton's pass is deflected and hits stokely in stride, 87 yard touchdown.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

GO PACKERS!

Wow, what a great finish! I tell ya, after the field goal by Chicago, I was really worried.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Cutler's receivers really let him down.

Looks like we all did pretty good this week, hosa is the winner though, congrats.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 09-14-2009 at 00:08.

Camel Lord Senior Member Capture The Flag Champion Martok's Avatar
    In my own little world....but it's okay, they know me there.

Well thank goodness for AP. He bailed out an all-too-obviously still-rusty Favre (although Brett did seem to loosen up a bit in the second half). Still, he's going to have to a lot better than he did today if the Vikings are going to get anywhere this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed Rabbit View Post
    GO PACKERS!

Wow, what a great finish! I tell ya, after the field goal by Chicago, I was really worried.

CR
    In truth, we had quite a few good games this weekend; a lot of them came down to the final minutes. Still, congratulations are definitely in order for Green Bay -- they played some gutsy ball tonight.
    "MTW is not a game, it's a way of life." -- drone

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hmm... Indeed some good games. Could've gotten a better start on my trek to defending my championship belt, tough.
    It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Well, I got burned with Cincy and Jacksonville. It really is a game of inches
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I concur. Of all the games this weekend, those were probably the two I had the hardest time making my picks.

Blog Entries

Heh, I go look at the pool site, see we were all wrong on the Patriots game, get concerned, go to the television and see that the Pats have scored. And then I see a wacky play to end it all from the Bills.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

The bills blew that game...

....And yet *another* crazy, down-to-the-wire game tonight! I was worried the Chargers were going to lose after all, but they pulled it out in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    The bills blew that game...
    To some extent, perhaps, but not entirely; at least some credit has to go to the Pats' offense. Brady was looking pretty sharp from what I saw, and he's long since proved he's hard to defend against once he's found his groove.

Quote Originally Posted by Martok View Post
    ....And yet *another* crazy, down-to-the-wire game tonight! I was worried the Chargers were going to lose after all, but they pulled it out in the end.

To some extent, perhaps, but not entirely; at least some credit has to go to the Pats' offense. Brady was looking pretty sharp from what I saw, and he's long since proved he's hard to defend against once he's found his groove.
    I was thinking of the "why take a knee in the endzone when you can run it back and fumble it?" play...

Well, he didn't have to take a knee necessarily but he could have gone down without trying to fight for yards.

Chargers defense is looking very suspect.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 09-15-2009 at 06:56.

Needs more flowers Moderator drone's Avatar

Two supposedly lousy teams had two supposedly great teams on the ropes, and then reverted to form. I'm surprised we didn't get at least one coach meltdown in the post-game interviews.

On the Bills late return/fumble: the kickoff was at 2:05 IIRC, if he had taken a knee in the endzone they would have had to kill an extra play due to the two minute warning. So running it out and taking up time was the right move. But he should have just charged out with both arms around the ball and gone down as soon as he was wrapped up.
    The .Org's MTW Reference Guide Wiki - now taking comments, corrections, suggestions, and submissions

If I werent playing games Id be killing small animals at a higher rate than I am now - SFTS
    Si je n'étais pas jouer à des jeux que je serais mort de petits animaux à un taux plus élevé que je suis maintenant - Louis VI The Fat

"Why do you hate the extremely limited Spartan version of freedom?" - Lemur

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Tom Brady just puts it into another gear. Playing bad all night and BOOM. The Pats somehow win the game. The Bills killed themselves with mistakes and penalties. I'm impressed with them.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post

Denver's win was about as fluky as it gets, sometimes I think this game is rigged.

The Bills will break your heart as they prove time after time. Except for the J. Kelly/B. Polian era it's the same old same old. Snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Cutler's receivers really let him down.

Looks like we all did pretty good this week, hosa is the winner though, congrats.
    When your #1 receiver is everyone elses #3 or #4 it's going to be a long season if you have to play catch up.
    Everyone picked very well, especially for week 1 when it's toughest to gauge between the hype, hope, and reality.

Biggest let down of Week 1: Arizona playing at home after their amazing SuperBowl run last year comes out flat and goes splat against the Niners. Bookies everywhere made a killing on that game.

Biggest surprise of Week 1: The Jets punching an up & coming Houston squad in the mouth with a rookie QB showing a supposedly superior offense in Texas how it's done. Bookies everywhere are salivating over the upcoming Jets hype and are going to have plenty of suckers to skin for the inevitable rookie let down.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

How's McNabb doing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

Cracked rib. He probably can't even cough let alone breath easily. And since a QB needs his core/intercoastal muscles to throw I doubt he can play this week. Looks like Jeff Garcia will be handing off to Westbrook a lot.
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hosakawa Tito View Post
    Cracked rib. He probably can't even cough let alone breath easily. And since a QB needs his core/intercoastal muscles to throw I doubt he can play this week. Looks like Jeff Garcia will be handing off to Westbrook a lot.
    Nope, it's the least-promising 2nd round draft choice of all time, Kevin Kolb. Garcia's a backup.

In other words, I have much fear.

Blog Entries

CR and Kukri, don't forget to make your picks.

We had problems last year with people not realizing that the page had timed out I remember.

I think we'll see more variety this week, there were 5 pretty tough matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    I think we'll see more variety this week, there were 5 pretty tough matchups.
    For this weekend, there were 6 games that I had a hard time deciding on. I strongly suspect I'm not going to do so well this time around....

AFL is better
    Last edited by coalition; 09-20-2009 at 09:36.

Blog Entries

Man, I hate the NFL's stupid TV rules. Because I live in DC the only game available to me is Redskins-Rams while I have to rely on ESPN's GameCast and the occasional game break to keep up with Eagles-Saints.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GeneralHankerchief View Post
    Man, I hate the NFL's stupid TV rules. Because I live in DC the only game available to me is Redskins-Rams while I have to rely on ESPN's GameCast and the occasional game break to keep up with Eagles-Saints.
    Heh, for some reason I'm getting the Green Bay game, which is great. But switching to other channels and seeing Women's bowling on espn and Nascar (in the pacific NW!) on some other local channel is odd.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Booyeah!!!!!!!

Antwan Odom is my new favorite bengal. 5 sacks, two of which knocked the packers out of fieldgoal range.

Defense looks great, the packers only had 1 real offensive touchdown.

Carson Palmer is awfully rusty though.

Blog Entries

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....*gasps*....nooooo...argh...*collapses*

Odom is a force unto himself.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

Ugh ugh ugh ugh ugh.

Of all the "iffy" games so far, the Atlanta/Carolina match-up is the only one that I've called correctly. In every other case, I wound up picking the loser. Not an auspicious start to the weekend.

The real shockers so far (at least for me) have been Green Bay, Jacksonville, and New England. I wouldn't have given any of their opponents a snowball's chance in hell of winning today.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Don't get wrong: Personally, I'm delighted that the Packers and Patriots lost. I never would've predicted that that would actually *happen*, however.

In other news, my Vikings managed to beat a still-poor (albeit rapidly improving) Lions team by a relatively modest margin. Given all the talent Minnesota has on its roster, it's disturbing we beat them by "only" 14 points. If Favre and the offense don't start gelling on a more consistent basis in the next week or two -- we cannot rely exclusively on Adrian Petersen and Percy Harvin to pull our butts out of the fire all the time -- it's going to be a rough season. We're lucky in that we have a soft schedule this first month; after that, however, things are going to get much harder.
    Last edited by Martok; 09-20-2009 at 22:10. Reason: Punctuation is happy.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast