Thread: Me in Hungary

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Default Me in Hungary

So I was in Budapest a few weeks ago and decided to visit the old fort-town of Komarom/Komarno (the Komarno half is on the Slovakian side of the Danube). Komarom is a typical dingy-looking backwater, though Komarno looks a lot cleaner and bigger and even has some "skyscrapers".

I toured Fort Monostor, built after the 1848 Revolution by the Austro-Hungarian Empire, which is supposed to be the greatest fort in all of Central Europe or something like that. Here's a map and more info:

http://english.fortmonostor.hu/A417cb9cb7ba90.php
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Monostor
    http://hungarystartshere.com/Fort-Mo...i-erod-Komarom
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...1-5ff52fbe4dbd

Map:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Most of then photos I took were on the upper and right parts of the map, the right being the entrance and location of the 3 museums, all of which were closed because it was Monday. In fact, there are no guided tours on Mondays either, so I had to hoof it across the place with my mom, lurking in unlit subterranean chambers and tunnels. I'm pretty sure I even wandered into some Restricted Areas.

I can't really remember exactly where I was when I took all these photos, but I'll try to refer to the map to give you a better idea. Apologies for the crap quality, I had to scan these.

Me standing next to a cannon just inside the fort/outside the exit.

Standing in some place a little bit north of the entrance.

Standing next to some wash basins and latrines north of the exit/south of the stables.

Standing next to an entrance in the Training/Stables region, maybe outside the left edge of the stables.

Standing next to a window or firing slit (?) inside the stables or the area adjacent to them (east of the training/firing range area).

Underground beneath the stables or training area.

Standing next to a window in the left end of the stables overlooking the Soviet stuff.

View of the southern area from a hillock south of the HQ/quarters. I clambered up using my mother's ancient Georgian mountain-climbing advice.

A pile of rubble outside the HQ.

A little cart for transporting ammo and equipment (I guess) inside the quarters, 2nd floor.

Standing next to a room, maybe officers' quarters, or maybe some other room in the places I've been in so far. I can't remember.

Standing on top of the HQ wall overlooking a pass which attackers would have had to run through while taking fire from all directions. I call it the "Canyon of Death", or maybe "Death Star Run".

A better view of the Canyon of Death, going west.

Atop the HQ wall, overlooking the Danube.

The HQ and quarters from the north side. Some kind of assembly or drilling area.

Pretending to be the commander.

View from the Danube Bastion at the left corner of the fort. I don't think there was anything to see from the top, but I can't be sure as further progress was blocked by extremely thick foliage. I only saw the sign advising visitors to bring hiking boots, a flashlight, and a machete (optional) as I left the fort.

Another Canyon of Death. I ran into the Casemate System (?) and this was on the left. Unfortunately, I ran in without looking and possibly stepped all over a huge pile of horse****.

Me standing next to a Soviet howitzer, 150mm or thereabouts. I was running out of time here (I'd expected this whole thing to last 30 minutes, not a 100, so we basically just walked past the south end of the fort.
    Last edited by Azathoth; 09-21-2009 at 02:29.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Default Re: Me in Hungary

Cool. Forts are always so small in person.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Arrow Re: Me in Hungary

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    Me standing next to a Soviet howitzer, 150mm or thereabouts.
    For one, that is definitely not a howitzer. The barrel is too long. Secondly, it looks to be more of 122mm - the Soviets did not have anything of the 105mm calibre. That is a Western measure. And there were no 107mm howitzers, only 107mm divisional guns. So my best guess would be a 122mm divisional gun, with a small chance it could be a 107mm gun. [/pedant]

I love the photos though, you have so many. And you do look quite Georgian or Jewish . Either one, I am not quite sure which is more evident.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/152_mm_...er_M1955_(D-20)

So it's a gun-howitzer. I was 2/3 right.

Cool. Forts are always so small in person.
    This fort is actually just like an iceberg - almost all of it is underground. Unfortunately, most of that is pitch-black, and I didn't want to trip over the century-old skeleton of some guy who got lost in the tunnels.

I mixed up a couple of the photos, fixed.
    Last edited by Azathoth; 09-21-2009 at 02:29.

Clan Takiyama Senior Member CBR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post
    For one, that is definitely not a howitzer. The barrel is too long. Secondly, it looks to be more of 122mm...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Howitzer_D-20.jpg

Looks pretty similar don't you think

edit:gah too late
    Last edited by CBR; 09-21-2009 at 02:33.

Nice pictures, I do notice though that the same annoying guy is in almost all of them.

Ok, j/k, hope you had fun.
    Last edited by Husar; 09-21-2009 at 15:48.

"Topic is tired and needs a nap." - Tosa Inu

Sovereign Oppressor Member TIE Fighter Shooter Champion, Turkey Shoot Champion, Juggler Champion Kralizec's Avatar

I was in Budapest myself a month ago but only a day or so. I didn't really see any towns in the vicinty so I didn't see that particular fort.

In the Buda side of the city I did see this one though.

Nice pictures you've got there.

I go past near Fort Monostori by train almost every week, but didn't have a chance to visit it yet. These photos convinced me to check it out sometimes.

If you really like forts and should travel to Hungary any time then I would suggest you also visit the Castle at Eger.

Fort Monostor being built from 1850 - 1871 was might have been the biggest and (for a while) the most advanced Fort in Central Europe in its time, but had little role in History. It was primearly used as baracks and as a training center by the Royal Hungarian Army. Between 1945 and 1991 it was the biggest weaponry storage of the Soviet occupation forces in the country - so no wonder they left some stuff behind.

Castle Eger despite it being a rather mediocre Castle of the Medieval age had a great part in the Ottoman wars in the 16th century and is a wery popular site even today. I've been there several times and find it worth visiting.
    (for more info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Eger)
    Last edited by HunGeneral; 09-26-2009 at 17:51. Reason: Spelling
    “Save us, o Lord, from the arrows of the Magyars.” - A prayer from the 10th century.