Thread: Hannibal

Some of you who are really interested in the tactical aspect of his game may be interested in a special on the Discovery. channel. It covers the life of Hannibal as a general, and goes over quite a few of his famous battles. If your big on tactics, check it out. Discovery usually replays their specials 3-4 times a week (seems like). Check it out, you might be interested.

I think the History Channel is doing a special on the Spartans.
    _
    The more the words, the less the meaning and how does that benefit anyone? BIBLE: Ecclesiates 6:11

Cool. I saw one on Julius Caesar before. He was one nasty bastid, but if he was on your side you were sorted
    Don't talk to me about Limerick's. I friggin LIVE there

Yeah that special on Hannibal was great. Had some nive insights, neat little annimations of the battles. There are some amazing tactics he was able to pull off.

Highly recomended,
    Sepiche

Hey Sepiche,
    How about the one where he had the Gaul infantry give way in the middle, then bent the outside around the Romans. Finally bringing up the rear with his heavy cav. That was just amazing to me that he could see that in his mind, and then actually execute it properly. I can't believe 60,000 Romans died in that one battle.

Ahh, Cannae, the "Perfect Battle." It so obsessed generals throughout the years ... John Keegan says that it (specifically Schlieffen's obsession with it) helped cause the First World War.
    Just an old-fashioned cowboy.

When is the special on the Spartans?

I just read "Gates of Fire" by Steven Pressfield, and fell in love with the Spartans.

If you haven't read it, pick it up, it's a great read that details the Battle of Thermopaylae, where 300 Spartans (and assorted other greeks - sum total of 4k soldiers and helots) held the Persian might (numbering around 1-2 million, but history thinks Herodotus got his numbers off by a factor of 10 and there were only 300k Persians) for a week at the mountain pass.

The book is just a great read... I recommend it to anyone interested in history.

AcePylut,

If you like Spartans check out "Thermopaylae" the book it is a fictional type history, it goes allot into the spartans customs, it is told in the perspective of a slave who becomes a squire. It came out about two years ago.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

moved to History forum.

Yeah, that was really the battle I was thinking of. That blew my mind. The fact he was able to pull that off was incedible and the disipline of his troops was unbelievable.

How about the part where the Roman soldier rode into his camp and threw his brothers head on the ground and rode out? I can't believe they didn't hear his huge steel balls clanking together as he rode up.

Sepiche

Senior Member Senior Member Wellington's Avatar

Two very good related articles (first one posed as a question, the second the replies) from the Society of Ancients discussing Cannae and the resons for the Roman catastrophe -
    http://www.soa.org.uk/main/resource/...annaeroman.htm
    http://www.soa.org.uk/main/resource/...naereprise.htm

Well worth a read!

I wonder if Hannibal said after Cannae "I love it when the plan comes together."

------------------
    Lay your sleeping head, my love,
    Human on my faithless arm;
    Time and fevers burn away
    Individual beauty from
    Thoughtful children, and the grave
    Proves the child ephemeral:
    But in my arms till break of day
    Let the living creature lie,
    Mortal, guilty, but to me
    The entirely beautiful.

Never laugh at the old when they offer counsel,
    Often their words are wise:
    From shriveled skin, from scraggy things

That hand among the hides
    And move amid the guts,
    Clear words often come.

http://asatru.org/havamal.html

lol @ wavesword

and B.A. replies 'i'm not getting on that elephant, hannibal.'

------------------
    indeed
    indeed

I hear they're going to make a Hollywood blockbuster about Hannibal due for release next year. Apparently that Van Diesel bloke (Triple X), you know the freak from Pitch Black, is going to play Hannibal. Here's hoping its a stonking flim!
    Can anyone confirm this or am I talking PAP.........again!

Wavesword,

"I love it when a plan comes together"

CLASS

George Peppard. R.I.P.

Azrael
    And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not

I remember reading Caesar's final battle versus the Belgians, pure brilliance. The battlefield was a sorta valley, with the Belgians on one side of it and the Roman camp up on the other side. The Belgians already outnumbered the Romans but the Belgian leader Ambiorix decided to wait for the germanic cavalry that was on its way to help the belgians. Ambiorix knew that attacking through the valley without the cavalry to support them would be suicide.
    Caesar knew he had draw out the Belgians (knowing their lust for battle) before their re-inforcements arrived. He ordered to change the look of his camp so that it would look like they were in dire straits and desertions were common. The next day he sent his cav against the belgians and ordered them to retreat as if routing after a short skirmish, at the same time the roman camp would have to pretend being in panic. The plan worked: the Belgians, sure of victory, chased the Romans while Ambiorix tried to stop them. The Roman infantry could charge downhill the completely surprised and disorganised Belgians. After some bloody h2h combat the romans pulled of an important victory. Ambiorix fled into Germania.

Proud member of Clan Shades and the OOOO
    ---------------------
    The Belgian army is on the march May the Earth tremble with Beer... euh, Fear.

Isn't she pretty in pink? Member Rosacrux's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (clansman @ Oct. 18 2002,12:32)]I hear they're going to make a Hollywood blockbuster about Hannibal due for release next year. Apparently that Van Diesel bloke (Triple X), you know the freak from Pitch Black, is going to play Hannibal. Here's hoping its a stonking flim
    Can anyone confirm this or am I talking PAP.........again
    No... NO... NOOOO

Let the guy alone or get Some decent fella to act as him. G. Klooney would make a decent Hannibal (his mediteranean looks would add) or any other type of that type.

NOT that freak... gosh
    CHIEF HISTORIAN

I thought that G. Klooney was supposed to play King Leonidas in Gates of Fire.
    O xein aggelein Lakedemoniois oti tade efi kimetha tois koinon rimasi poi8omenoi

Hah You think that's bad? Apparently there's another Hannibal epic in the making that stars none other than... DENZEL WASHINGTON Vin Diesel is half-african, Denzel all african. Both are slated to portray one of the greatest strategic/tactical minds the semitic world has ever produced How's that for historical revisionism? I wonder if Denzel will don prosthetic makeup and white/olive skin tones to really 'become' the character...

So much for the fair and accurate representation of the flower of Carthage. I'm sure the original Phoenician colonists who founded Carthage are rolling in their graves...
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

What about Anthony Hopkins as the historical Hannibal. It could be his 4th Hannibal movie, lol.

When is that new Hannibal movie due in theaters by the way? It sounds pretty interesting.

Isn't she pretty in pink? Member Rosacrux's Avatar

Denzel Washington as... Hannibal?

There's no hope then... But it could get even worst... they can make a truly-PC film about ancient Greece too, with a black Socrates, a chinese-lookalike as Plato and a Maori as Alexander... not to mention a Hebrew starring as Aristotle, and a mongoloid as Leonidas... now, that would be something.

tsk, tsk, tsk... bloody hollywood...

CHIEF HISTORIAN

I suppose we better start digging up some ancient Phoenicians to act, eh? I suppose it would be better to have Hannibal portrayed by an English or Irish actor --- that's SO much more accurate. :rolling eyes:
    Just an old-fashioned cowboy.

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I suppose we better start digging up some ancient Phoenicians to act, eh? I suppose it would be better to have Hannibal portrayed by an English or Irish actor --- that's SO much more accurate. :rolling eyes:
    Hah Your tone of sarcasm is duly noted. However, when you consider that Jewish-American actors routinely play non-semitic parts in Hollyweird then an Anglo or Celtic looking Hannibal isn't such a big deal (it's certainly less of a stretch than an African playing the part). 'Blue blooded' Phoenicians indeed. Jews and Arabs, much like their Phoenician cousins of old, are also of semitic stock. Those two groups alone comprise tens of millions of people. Hollyweird couldn't find more appropriate actors from the countless English speaking actors of said groups?

I am amazed how politically incorrect it has become to even consider casting actors who look the part. What's next? Jackie Chan as Shaka Zulu?
    "Why spoil the beauty of the thing with legality?" - Theodore Roosevelt

Idealism is masturbation, but unlike real masturbation idealism actually makes one blind. - Fragony

Though Adrian did a brilliant job of defending the great man that is Hugo Chavez, I decided to post this anyway.. - JAG (who else?)

Antonio Banderas or Russel Crowe maybe.

Vin Diesel is an ass clown- I really can't understand what people see in him.

Even the Rock would be better than Diesel.
    Look what these bastards have done to Wales. They've taken our coal, our water, our steel. They buy our homes and live in them for a fortnight every year. What have they given us? Absolutely nothing. We've been exploited, raped, controlled and punished by the English — and that's who you are playing this afternoon Phil Bennett's pre 1977 Rugby match speech