Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: No more global warming?

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

Default Re: No more global warming?

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Actually, being honest, there are many issues which are important which is getting thrown under the "Global Warming".

It is as if Global Warming became the bandwagon to actually start doing things we need to be doing. We are running out of resources such as oil, there are land-fill problems, there is excess energy demand and we need more efficiency, etc. We should be recycling and other things.

All these things came under the Global Warming bandwagon to actually get people doing things, because in short, they are dumb and need a bandwagon to do it.
    Arr...a man to me heart.

(But not because people are dumb. People need mobilisation, an overarching term, a name andf a narative.
    The trouble is, just like the term 'War on Teror', that people mistake the rousing term for the reality. And that everything below the overarching term is made subordinate to this term, rather than the term trying to encompass the manifold reality. In effect, putting the relationship between words and reality upside down.
    (Meh, I find myself distinclty lacking in semantic clarity lately )
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Does anyone here even have the credentials to debate these science topics?

We like to fancy ourselves as learned but I pretty sure we don't know jack diddly when it comes to the subtle nuances of these things.

Really I don't think we should listen to anyone whom doesn't has at least a masters, a peer reveiwed study, and a scraggly beard.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    Really I don't think we should listen to anyone whom doesn't has at least a masters, a peer reveiwed study, and a scraggly beard.
    Currently during a masters, already have my BSc. It's not in biology. I just shaved 10 minutes ago, so no scraggly beard.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Ranting madman of the .org Senior Member Fly Shoot Champion, Helicopter Champion, Pedestrian Killer Champion, Sharpshooter Champion, NFS Underground Champion Rhyfelwyr's Avatar

We like to fancy ourselves as learned but I pretty sure we don't know jack diddly when it comes to the subtle nuances of these things.

These are pretty much exactly my sentiments on the global warming issue. It's not like I'm qualified to form my own opinion on it, so it's just a case of who I believe. And I've no idea who I should, especially when the science on the topic is so blurred along left-right lines.
    At the end of the day politics is just trash compared to the Gospel.

Russia/Europe in the summer, Florida rest of the time

Exclamation Re: No more global warming?

That is a splendid point, but you have to be the twentieth person who had said this already in this thread. I said it too, in a few posts .

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Currently during a masters, already have my BSc. It's not in biology. I just shaved 10 minutes ago, so no scraggly beard.
    I wasn't calling you or anyone else out I'm just saying this is a big intircate issue wrapped in vested interests.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wasn't calling you or anyone else out I'm just saying this is a big intircate issue wrapped in vested interests.
    It's fine, I was jokingly replying. But you are correct, the number 1 issue is vested interests.

A quick mention to Agent Miles:

You statements are partially correct, but very inaccurate. It might be a case there are millions of tonnes of resources, the number one issue is actually getting to them. The thing with miles, they dig in high concentration spots to retrieve the resources and these mines are not unlimited, nor are they all accessible. Britain for incidence was known for its high concentrations of Tin. Could the Romans gone elsewhere for Tin? Yes, but Britain had the highest concentrations with it highly accessible, thus it was far easier and cheaper to get it here than elsewhere. Think about how Maggie Thatcher closed the Coal Mines. We still had plenty of coal, but the thing is, it wasn't affordable to actually get at the resource in some of the pits, compared to getting it elsewhere. So your blanket statement is true that there is a lot of resources about, however, it is very inaccurate in the practicability of retrieving those resources.

Also in cases such as aluminium, it is actually far cheaper to recycle it, opposed to getting it from new.
    Last edited by Beskar; 11-15-2009 at 20:32.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

No, none of these bloody amateurs here have a clue what they are talking about. Most annoying.
    You shall need to listen to me, and to me only. Me, I've got a master in Climate Studies. And a Ph.D in heat transmission in oceanic waves. And I hold a chair in Paris I in Geology, and another chair at Oxford in Sustainable Economics and

Edit: oh, and you already know which parts of me are shaven and which are not.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 11-15-2009 at 20:51.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

i have a BSc in Geology, and a MSc in Business.

sadly i have no peer reviewed study or beard, (which is more important than you might believe as all serious Geologists have beards).
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

re my previous comment regarding climate data from the royal navy:

accurate climate data prior to Hadley?
    http://www.corral.org.uk/

by 1684 was a professionally trained force with access to temperature instrumentation standardised by the royal society twenty years previously.

east anglia university takes it seriously enough:
    http://www.springerlink.com/content/e76867q12842270m/

though corral are using data from 1760 onwards with results due early 2010:
    http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/d...ts/06oct09.pdf

and data to be found here:
    http://badc.nerc.ac.uk/data/corral/index.html
    Last edited by Furunculus; 11-16-2009 at 16:29.
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Aemilius Paulus-It is a total generalization to post that what I have said is inaccurate or frightening, without any specifics or counter statements. You had the time to articulate a comment, but not enough to articulate an argument in support of your comment. It’s been five days.

Beskar-All of the oil we now pump out of the ocean floor was too expensive to extract…in the past. Every resource comes with a price tag and always has. I am pointing out that all of the resources that ever were here are still here, so we are not running out of resources. As the cheap, easy to extract resources are used up, we will invent technologies to get to the other resources, just as we have done in the past. Do you find this statement also to be in any way inaccurate?

Just to be accurate, aluminum cans can be recycled for a profit, but not items that have aluminum intermixed with other metals. Also, recycling aluminum repeatedly decreases its quality. Sorting is time consuming and most often the personal cost in time and effort to the individual is not factored into the overall cost of recycling.

We are told that technological advances will make recycling, wind and solar power work, but somehow similar technological advances that will make alternatives just as workable and safe should be ignored as unthinkable. We won’t run out of resources or energy as long as we explore all ideas. Science isn’t voodoo that only the witch doctors of any given sect can comprehend. Anyone who tells you that they alone have the ability to comprehend a solution is a con artist, not a scientist.
    Sometimes good people must kill bad people to protect the rest of the people.

Senior Member Senior Member gaelic cowboy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Miles View Post
    Beskar-All of the oil we now pump out of the ocean floor was too expensive to extract…in the past. Every resource comes with a price tag and always has. I am pointing out that all of the resources that ever were here are still here, so we are not running out of resources. As the cheap, easy to extract resources are used up, we will invent technologies to get to the other resources, just as we have done in the past. Do you find this statement also to be in any way inaccurate?
    There come's a point when the energy needed to extract any material is greater than the benefit of the material in question at this point no matter if its oil or gas if it take's more than a barrel to get a barrel out than any industry even the oil industry is over.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Miles View Post
    We are told that technological advances will make recycling, wind and solar power work, but somehow similar technological advances that will make alternatives just as workable and safe should be ignored as unthinkable. We won’t run out of resources or energy as long as we explore all ideas. Science isn’t voodoo that only the witch doctors of any given sect can comprehend. Anyone who tells you that they alone have the ability to comprehend a solution is a con artist, not a scientist.
    We can easily run out of resources because the earth is a sphere and all sphere's are finite consequently all the resources inside the sphere are finite even wind and solar energy.

While saying solar energy is finite is technically not incorrect the real limit is the fact we can only harvest the amount we get on earth at the moment on its surface. Fanciful notions of harvesting space resources are just that fanciful the huge amount of energy required for orbit would be prohibitive in giving us resources we could meaningfully use.
    They slew him with poison afaid to meet him with the steel
    a gallant son of eireann was Owen Roe o'Neill.

Internet is a bad place for info Gaelic Cowboy

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    In 100 years global temperature has risen 0.6 degrees celcius, measured with 100 year old equipment.
    I think you will find that 0.6 degrees is a lot when you take something as large as the Atlantic ocean or planet earth

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    I think you will find that 0.6 degrees is a lot when you take something as large as the Atlantic ocean or planet earth
    Heh, do not worry about Fragony. He is a good ol' loyal chap. Jest stickin' to the party line. Ain't that right, Frag?

I would honestly be surprised if he dared to push the border separating far-right and centre-right at least on a single issue. He is at the former place of course...

But yes, you are correct. Even a half a degree change is rather drastic, considering it is a century average. Also, the global temperature can be measured by modern equipment through the analysis of ice cores. Quite reliable.

Look, I know the statistics are difficult to trust, Frag, and most, if not all conservatives loathe as well as distrust anyone of higher intelligence than them (e.g. scientists, professors, other "intellectuals"), but how does the near-melted Arctic fit in the puzzle of "there is no such thing as the global warming"? After all, when was the last time the Arctic melted so much? Palaeogene? Cretaceous? And seriously, by now, most Young-Earth, creationist, Southern Baptist fundamentalist (my parents go there - the church is not fundamentalist, but the people are) rednecks in my city (Pensacola) accept the fact that global warming is real. Now, they deny it is caused by humans, but I give them credit for their indeed commendable improvement.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 11-21-2009 at 05:30.

Quote Originally Posted by rvg View Post
    Screw graphs, they don't show anything tangible.

However, this does: http://www.spiegel.de/international/...434356,00.html

Global warming *is* happening.

People being able to farm in greenland sounds like a good thing

A lot of the polluting is being done by india and china as they industrialize right? Now show me a climate scientist who can say whether the increased quality of life that has resulted from that is worth the resulting pollution/global warming.

Having climate scientists make policy recommendations is like having neuroscientists counsel the mentally ill.

Most of the left would rather argue that global warming is occuring than about whether cash for clunkers was the best use of the money as far as reducing global warming it seems.

I don't mind the feel good stuff the green movement does, although the moralizing can be annoying. I guess I have faith in technological progress and the fact that enough smart people are working on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Aemilius Paulus View Post

Look, I know the statistics are difficult to trust, Frag, and most, if not all conservatives loathe as well as distrust anyone of higher intelligence than them (e.g. scientists, professors, other "intellectuals"), but how does the near-melted Arctic fit in the puzzle of "there is no such thing as the global warming"? After all, when was the last time the Arctic melted so much? Palaeogene? Cretaceous? And seriously, by now, most Young-Earth, creationist, Southern Baptist fundamentalist (my parents go there - the church is not fundamentalist, but the people are) rednecks in my city (Pensacola) accept the fact that global warming is real. Now, they deny it is caused by humans, but I give them credit for their indeed commendable improvement.
    What a thoroughly worthless statement.

How completely trivial and demeaning.

An utterly inaccurate and baseless ad-hominen attack.

If I was in the habit of reporting posts, (which i have never done in six years here), I would report this for: sheer. rank. stupidity!

GaFL
    Last edited by Furunculus; 11-21-2009 at 15:07.

an another note, here a glorious write up of some of the more revealing emails hacked from HadCRU:
    http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/ja...lobal-warming/

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Good, and now feel silly that's the least you can do.

No it is not, not really a factor, and that is why I am often disgusted at the whole green movement, which I detest with passion, mainly due to their own blind pursuit of agenda, blind in the sense that their scientific foundation is resting on sand, metaphorically speaking. The impact of trees on the atmospheric levels of oxygen is comparatively very insignificant.

The vast, colossal majority of oxygen is produced by much more primitive and diminutive lifeforms, such as primarily the ocean phytoplankton, which is the chief factor in the CO2 reduction as well as O2 increase. There is a reason why serious climatologist and biologists as well as palaeontologists/palaeoclimatologist debate over iron seeding and not planting more trees, as the brainless sheep, a.k.a the Greens do. The reason is because those scientists realise what does what. Phytoplankton is the big issue, not trees. In addition, I believe the global warming is a positive thing, as do many scientists whose fields start with the "palaeo" prefix. This is why - Azolla event.

The chief problem with climate change is that it is destabilising and transition periods are always rough. For one, status quo is very much welcomed in geopolitical arena, as no one planned for such drastic changes that will surely follow. Then you will have the massive extinctions, with other species severely shrinking in population. Climate is swift to change, speaking as a palaeontologist, whereas flora and fauna will take millions of years to fully adapt.
    AP, I find myself agreeing with you for the first time since you/I joined this forum. I don't think that 'global warming' is an issue either. Personally (As someone living in WI), I wouldn't really mind if it was a few degrees warmer.
    (See, I knew you could not have been that bad of a bloke. )

EDIT: This is interesting.
    Last edited by Vuk; 11-21-2009 at 15:31.
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

Everything you need to know about Kadagar_AV:
    Quote Originally Posted by Kadagar_AV View Post
    In a racial conflict I'd have no problem popping off some negroes.

Red face Re: No more global warming?

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    What a thoroughly worthless statement.

How completely trivial and demeaning.

An utterly inaccurate and baseless ad-hominen attack.

If I was in the habit of reporting posts, (which i have never done in six years here), I would report this for: sheer. rank. stupidity!

GaFL
    It was not ad-hominem. I was criticising conservatives. You have to admit, most conservatives harbour a healthy amount of distrust for intellectuals. Why? Perhaps because a great deal of intellectuals are liberal. But surely their science is at least somewaht accurate. And is it a coincidence that so many intellectuals are liberal? Who knows, but you cannot entirely discount me, although it is quite apparent that my post was not entirely serious.

And was it really necessary to bold it all .

Gah, I miss Tribesman. Alright, he should have toned down his personal attacks, but you have to agree, balance is a precious thing. Both Frag and Tribsey must remain in the Backroom, otherwise the equilibrium is in shambles.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Vuk Again View Post
    AP, I find myself agreeing with you for the first time since you/I joined this forum. I don't think that 'global warming' is an issue either. Personally (As someone living in WI), I wouldn't really mind if it was a few degrees warmer.
    (See, I knew you could not have been that bad of a bloke. )
    Well, that is nice to know . But I could swear my disagreements with you are only recent, mostly when religion comes in the debate.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 11-21-2009 at 15:55.

It was not ad-hominem. I was criticising conservatives. You have to admit, most conservatives harbour a healthy amount of distrust for intellectuals. Why? Perhaps because a great deal of intellectuals are liberal. But surely their science is at least somewaht accurate. And is it a coincidence that so many intellectuals are liberal? Who knows, but you cannot entirely discount me, although it is quite apparent that my post was not entirely serious.

Gah, I miss Tribesman. Alright, he should have toned down his personal attacks, but you have to agree, balance is a precious thing. Both Frag and Tribsey must remain in the Backroom, otherwise the equilibrium is in shambles.

Well, that is nice to know . But I could swear my disagreements with you are only recent, mostly when religion comes in the debate.
    lol, didn't say I didn't like you, just that we never really agree.
    I gotta agree that what you said about conservatives is extremely untrue. Yeah, I have met pea brained conservatives who do not care about science, fact, reason, or argument, but I have met at least as many liberals like that (many of them at college no less!). And BTW, a degree does not make you more intelligent than anyone. I have had some of the most mud-dumb professors you can imagine. Even my high-level history courses a baby could do with their eyes closed. A lot of conservative dislike many professors and intellectuals because they think the degree does make them smarter than other people (and I am sorry, a degree boosts neither the size of your intellect or any other asset...despite what many intellectuals think), and they use their position and authority to push their personal beliefs as fact. And seriously AP, so many of the truly are just so mud-dumb it is laughable. I don't agree with you on hardly a thing, I think you do not think through things well some times, etc; you know that. Still though, you know more, and are more intelligent I think than 90% of the professors I have had. I am one of those evil conservatives who do not have a high opinion of most professors (nothing against the profession). I have met some great ones (and brilliant ones). Some of them could not be more ideologically opposed to me, but they are good, smart people who do their best to teach their students and advance learning. I have great respect for good professors like that, no matter what their views are. Unfortunately they are few and far between. Most professors I know just use their position to push a point of view, and quite frankly, half of them are about as reasoning as the average junior high student!

And you ask is it a coincidence that most intellectuals are liberals? hhmmm...considering that majority of people attending college still come from the upper and upper-middle class, and that most people teaching them are trying to push a liberal point of view, nah, I do not think it is a coincidence. You know what I think is sad? The few conservative professors I know completely keep their ideology out of teaching (as they should), but almost all the liberals belittle conservatism when they can, and push their liberal point of view. Seriously, a lot of professors try to make you feel stupid if you are a conservative. No wonder parents worry about their kids being brainwashed. You still wonder why there is an imbalance?
    Hammer, anvil, forge and fire, chase away The Hoofed Liar. Roof and doorway, block and beam, chase The Trickster from our dreams.
    Vigilance is our shield, that protects us from our squalid past. Knowledge is our weapon, with which we carve a path to an enlightened future.

You have to admit, most conservatives harbour a healthy amount of distrust for intellectuals. Why? Perhaps because a great deal of intellectuals are liberal. But surely their science is at least somewaht accurate. And is it a coincidence that so many intellectuals are liberal? Who knows, but you cannot entirely discount me, although it is quite apparent that my post was not entirely serious.

I disagree. I do not distrust intellectuals per-se, tho i admit to a healthy dose of benign contempt so social-science intellectuals who are always trying to engineer society into what they see as a better model. But i do entirely disagree with your notion that I distrust intellectuals as a broad sweep, perhaps because I am a UK Conservative (by inclination rather than affiliation) rather than a US conservative.

Yes, it was a stupid statement.

I am dimly aware of Tribemans ban-worthy tantrum, but it is not something I have ever followed with interest because the whole warning points system is something i have no interest in employing.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 11-21-2009 at 16:28.

Post Re: No more global warming?

I gotta agree that what you said about conservatives is extremely untrue.
    I am not subtle. There are bound to be inaccuracies. Yes, I will concede to your point.

Yeah, I have met pea brained conservatives who do not care about science, fact, reason, or argument,
    Religion helps a lot, eh? :P Not that all religious people are like that, but more often than not, those people you described are religious

but I have met at least as many liberals like that (many of them at college no less!).
    I agree, stupid people are everywhere. Everyone lacks something. But a college degree is a college degree. The person may have been 'stupid', but at the very least they passed college. Michael Moore is no less crazy than Limbaugh, but to call him 'stupid' is a bit inaccurate. Mr. Moore could have had good education. He may be intelligent in those subjects. But his world view is skewed as hell, and he is blind because of it. He is not wise. As much as I hate it, there is a difference between wisdom and overall intelligence. Your post confuses both, and that is my main objection.

And BTW, a degree does not make you more intelligent than anyone. I have had some of the most mud-dumb professors you can imagine. Even my high-level history courses a baby could do with their eyes closed.
    Look, I share your sentiment, and it is certainly accurate, but the problem is that you cannot simply ignore ever societal convention. Any degree-holding person is on average smarter than a non-degree holder. You have to go through college to get the degree. They had to work their at least once. Few colleges/universities are easy. Most are not (unless it is a community college). Exceptions lie on both sides, but in general, a degree is a degree. One cannot ignore that. This is what I dislike in conservatives.

A lot of conservative dislike many professors and intellectuals because they think the degree does make them smarter than other people (and I am sorry, a degree boosts neither the size of your intellect or any other asset...despite what many intellectuals think)
    Again, you are but reinforcing my negative stereotype of conservatives. You cannot discount something like that. It is almost always impossible to go through college and not become at least a bit smarter. The system is flawed, but it works. If what you said was true, then we would have done away with education aeons ago.

and they use their position and authority to push their personal beliefs as fact.
    I absolutely, 100% agree with that. Very few professors are neutral. But so what? Everyone has an opinion. Everyone pushes their point of view. Why do you think a conservative is a conservative? because he/she is quiet for their entire life? Of course not.

And seriously AP, so many of the truly are just so mud-dumb it is laughable.
    Disagree. All of my professors are highly competent, even though I am dual enrolled in a medium-quality local university for a year, before I graduate from my HS. Some of the profs hold strong opinions that slant their world-view, just as a far-right individual, but that does not make them any less intelligent. Just not wise. And closed-minded to a certain degree. Still, any liberal is by default is more open minded, although not in politics, for sure.

I don't agree with you on hardly a thing, I think you do not think through things well some times, etc; you know that.
    Indeed, I do know that. Just as the story with me and generalisations goes. But who here actually thinks through things well? Most simply stick to their point of view. While you have to give me credit for entering the Backroom as a conservative and morphing into first a moderate and then a liberal. At least I am not stuck on the same point.

If the Republicans abandon their religious ties to the South, then I will seriously consider voting for them. So far, they have not. I still like McCain as well, as his unwillingness to stick to a partisan mould was a splendid quality. At the same time, I found Obama looking at both sides in a rational manner more than any other politician. Audacity of Hope is a quite marvellous book, once you get past the sickly-compromising beginning. At least Obama tries. Other than McCain, I have not seen any conservative do the same.

Still though, you know more, and are more intelligent I think than 90% of the professors I have had.
    I admire your willingness to patronise to persuade a person to concede on a point, as I often do that too, but in fact, I disagree. We are not more intelligent. Not at all. Not even a fraction. I can however, say with great conviction that both of us have overinflated egos .

I have great respect for good professors like that, no matter what their views are.
    You may superficially respect them, but your post was deeply insulting to their profession, no matter what you say now. I think that religion is a joke, but I found all of my past pastors highly intelligent - just skewed, as most professors. I may detest what the pastors do, but I cannot argue with their credentials and intellect. The ones I met had plenty of both.

Unfortunately they are few and far between. Most professors I know just use their position to push a point of view, and quite frankly, half of them are about as reasoning as the average junior high student!
    Yes, yes. That is your opinion, all I can say. Everyoen pushes positions, because everyone has positions, and everyone believes in those positions if they hold them. The universal truth.Let us not grow hypocritical.

The few conservative professors I know completely keep their ideology out of teaching (as they should), but almost all the liberals belittle conservatism when they can, and push their liberal point of view.
    Lol, they keep it because they are in a hostile environment, and not because they are so fair and balanced (no pun intended) . Do not think I will swallow such an unfounded generalisation. There has never been anything made to support this. I can say "blacks are more often than not uneducated" (and I did once, only to get infracted for the exact same statement), but I can support my position with statistics, which no sane person disagrees with. It is no secret that in their poverty it is difficult to find good education, especially when they have little of it from their birth.

Seriously, a lot of professors try to make you feel stupid if you are a conservative. No wonder parents worry about their kids being brainwashed. You still wonder why there is an imbalance?
    You seriously think an average church-going far-right conservative is more intelligent than an average far-left professor? I could swallow that the church-going conservative is wiser, but to say that professors are stupider than a you-know-who strikes me as amusingly, partisanly, inaccurate.

P.S. Hehe, please use paragraphs - do not make a poor liberal suffer more than he must .

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus View Post
    I disagree. I do not distrust intellectuals per-se, tho i admit to a healthy dose of benign contempt so social-science intellectuals who are always trying to engineer society into what they see as a better model. But i do entirely disagree with your notion that I distrust intellectuals as a broad sweep, perhaps because I am a UK Conservative (by inclination rather than affiliation) rather than a US conservative.
    Well, we should not disagree that much, as I generally like or at least tolerate most of what the Tories push. The US Republicans are my problem. But what is wrong with the underlined part? Surely they know better than us. Your sentiment is a strikingly human one (I know, it is 'duh', but still, read on) as it is only natural to feel antagonistic towards persons of higher rank, especially when they meddle so much. But you think a liberal does not have to deal with that? I know the scientists are exponentially smarter than me, yet I accept their actions.
    Last edited by Aemilius Paulus; 11-21-2009 at 17:11. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Furunculus
    i admit to a healthy dose of benign contempt so social-science intellectuals who are always trying to engineer society into what they see as a better model.
    what is wrong with the underlined part? Surely they know better than us. Your sentiment is a strikingly human one (I know, it is 'duh', but still, read on) as it is only natural to feel antagonistic towards persons of higher rank, especially when they meddle so much. But you think a liberal does not have to deal with that? I know the scientists are exponentially smarter than me, yet I accept their actions.
    because social science is not a science, it is a faith that you can express the breadth of human emotion and frailty with a simplified model of collective behavior.

it is an arrogance that leads to ideology which is invariably a universal failure for the reason mentioned above, and it is usually grossly intrusive to the individuals it is practiced upon.

worse, the damage that is done by these social engineers is blithely disregarded as a necessary and temporary evil, to achieve the glorious emancipation of humanity......... as they see it.

there is a world of difference between a social engineer/scientist and an real engineer or scientist, and I will always have contempt for those that think they can engineer away the less perfect parts of the human condition via some pseudo-scientific ideology.
    Last edited by Furunculus; 11-21-2009 at 17:26.

I am not subtle. There are bound to be inaccuracies. Yes, I will concede to your point.

Religion helps a lot, eh? :P Not that all religious people are like that, but more often than not, those people you described are religious

No, not really. Yeah, I have more dumb Christian conservatives than dumb non-Christian conservatives, but if anything, I think that is attributable to most people in the area being Christian. Where I study and most people aren't Christian though, there certainly aren't any less dumb people.

I agree, stupid people are everywhere. Everyone lacks something. But a college degree is a college degree. The person may have been 'stupid', but at the very least they passed college. Michael Moore is no less crazy than Limbaugh, but to call him 'stupid' is a bit inaccurate. Mr. Moore could have had good education. He may be intelligent in those subjects. But his world view is skewed as hell, and he is blind because of it. He is not wise. As much as I hate it, there is a difference between wisdom and overall intelligence. Your post confuses both, and that is my main objection.

I think we are having terminology issues here. There is a big difference between intelligence (your biological reasoning capacity), wisdom (your willingness to use it), and knowledge (Information stored in your brain, which by itself is useless). (or at least, that is the way I view it) College certainly increases most peoples knowledge, but it surely does not increase their intelligence, and by enforcing standard ways of thinking, I think often decreases people's wisdom.
    And you are forgetting an important thing: There are ways to gain as much and far greater knowledge than college. Seriously, I was home-schooled and never did that well in math (though I made it through calculus) or English, and honestly did not do that well in History either. When I came to college and had to do placement tests, I tested out of having to do English, and tested into very high-level math classes. I have learned literally almost nothing at all from any of my History classes. With self-study I was able to learn more knowledge than most people I know in college, and did not have a professor telling me how to think, so I was free to make my own decisions.
    A college degree only means that you have went through some college courses (most of which are an insult to your intelligence), gained some knowledge, and have become educated on the standardized ways of doing things. (and of course I am talking mostly about liberal arts and stuff, not most science and math) The average person could have learned a lot more studying by themselves on their own time and still not have a degree. And when the great college student graduates, they will have an abnormally aged liver and a trivial amount of real world knowledge, but think that they are so much smarter than everyone else.

Look, I share your sentiment, and it is certainly accurate, but the problem is that you cannot simply ignore ever societal convention. Any degree-holding person is on average smarter than a non-degree holder. You have to go through college to get the degree. They had to work their at least once. Few colleges/universities are easy. Most are not (unless it is a community college). Exceptions lie on both sides, but in general, a degree is a degree. One cannot ignore that. This is what I dislike in conservatives.

I disagree that a degree holding person is smarter than a non-degree holding person. As I said, all a degree means is that you have went through a bunch of BS courses (which most people can go through doing minimal work, learning minimal amounts of knowledge, and then forgetting it in a year), have a bit more knowledge than before you went in, and a pretty big ego. And seriously, I have met a lot of people without degrees who are a lot smarter than most people I have met with them. Yeah, ambitious people (who are usually smarter) are drawn to degrees, so what you say is somewhat true for the younger generation, but it is not the merit of the degree, but the person. They go through the BS that is college so that they can succeed.

Again, you are but reinforcing my negative stereotype of conservatives. You cannot discount something like that. It is almost always impossible to go through college and not become at least a bit smarter. The system is flawed, but it works. If what you said was true, then we would have done away with education aeons ago.

It works...but not how it is supposed to. Yeah, you are right, they learn a bit, but that does not make them more intelligent. And they could have learned much more if they studied by themselves. Still though, knowledge does not reflect intelligence. Going through college does not make them any smarter. It gives them more data that they won't be able to correctly process. It is better to have less data and be able to process it correctly, and even better to have more and be able to process it correctly.

I absolutely, 100% agree with that. Very few professors are neutral. But so what? Everyone has an opinion. Everyone pushes their point of view. Why do you think a conservative is a conservative? because he/she is quiet for their entire life? Of course not.

Yeah, everyone has an opinion and should be able to express it. When they equate their opinion with the absolute truth and teach kids that if they do not agree with them they are stupid though, that is a crime. That is brainwashing. That is what most professors I know are guilty of. That is why conservatives dislike professors. Yeah, it is a stereotype, so what? It does not make it any less true.

Disagree. All of my professors are highly competent, even though I am dual enrolled in a medium-quality local university for a year, before I graduate from my HS. Some of the profs hold strong opinions that slant their world-view, just as a far-right individual, but that does not make them any less intelligent. Just not wise. And closed-minded to a certain degree. Still, any liberal is by default is more open minded, although not in politics, for sure.

Yeah, professors are usually very knowledgable, but most I have met are not incredibly intelligent. (Some not even a bit :P) As far as a liberal being more open minded, I think individual people are open minded or not, and that it has nothing to do with their political opinions. I think that saying conservatives are more likely to be closed minded is pretty closed minded in fact. :P

Indeed, I do know that. Just as the story with me and generalisations goes. But who here actually thinks through things well? Most simply stick to their point of view. While you have to give me credit for entering the Backroom as a conservative and morphing into first a moderate and then a liberal. At least I am not stuck on the same point.

I don't agree with you, but yeah, I can respect someone who is open minded. But hey, guess what, you were a conservative open minded enough to change his opinion! lol, like I said, it is about the person, not the affiliation.

If the Republicans abandon their religious ties to the South, then I will seriously consider voting for them. So far, they have not. I still like McCain as well, as his unwillingness to stick to a partisan mould was a splendid quality. At the same time, I found Obama looking at both sides in a rational manner more than any other politician. Audacity of Hope is a quite marvellous book, once you get past the sickly-compromising beginning. At least Obama tries. Other than McCain, I have not seen any conservative do the same.

I know that you really dislike religion, but I do not agree with you. Nor do I agree with McCain. I think he has no idea what he is doing. He really just comes across as having no idea about important issues, which is why he flips and flops so much. Being open minded is fine, but something is right or wrong. You gotta have someone who can fairly look at both sides and decide for himself, not someone who is pulled back and forth between the two.

I admire your willingness to patronise to persuade a person to concede on a point, as I often do that too, but in fact, I disagree. We are not more intelligent. Not at all. Not even a fraction. I can however, say with great conviction that both of us have overinflated egos .

Hardly a patronization, I was using you as a low standard. We have inflated egos? Yeah, I am sure of. I try to be humble, honestly, but always fall into the trap of thinking I know it all. To my credit though, if I find out I am wrong, at least I will change my opinion. And don't be to hard on yourself, everyone has an inflated ego, just some more than others.
    And yeah, I have met some people in the liberal arts who are quite intelligent (some, I will admit quite a bit smarter than myself), but most people I know in the liberal arts are quite a bit below average intelligence (or at least are just not willing to think). When I was going in for CIS, a lot of the people I met were extremely intelligent, but after I switched from science to the humanities, my opinion of the average type of person attracted to the humanities went down incredibly. As I said though, I blame the professors. A lot of people do not want to think, or to work, or to do anything more than they have to. It is the professor's job to teach them TO think, and to make sure that they do.

You may superficially respect them, but your post was deeply insulting to their profession, no matter what you say now. I think that religion is a joke, but I found all of my past pastors highly intelligent - just skewed, as most professors. I may detest what the pastors do, but I cannot argue with their credentials and intellect. The ones I met had plenty of both.

No, you are wrong. I certainly do (and quite sincerely) respect them, just not majority of the people in their profession. In fact, I respect them even more for breaking the mold.

Yes, yes. That is your opinion, all I can say. Everyoen pushes positions, because everyone has positions, and everyone believes in those positions if they hold them. The universal truth.Let us not grow hypocritical.

I am not being hypocritical. I am going to be a professor of history in 5 years or so. When I am, I am not going to push my views on other people. Yeah I will have them, but I will have the integrity not to make other people feel stupid if they do not agree with me. There is nothing wrong with having or stating opinions. What is wrong (and in fact, intellectually criminal) is that they push them down people's throats and create a feeling of guilt for whoever does not agree with them.

Lol, they keep it because they are in a hostile environment, and not because they are so fair and balanced (no pun intended) . Do not think I will swallow such an unfounded generalisation. There has never been anything made to support this. I can say "blacks are more often than not uneducated" (and I did once, only to get infracted for the exact same statement), but I can support my position with statistics, which no sane person disagrees with. It is no secret that in their poverty it is difficult to find good education, especially when they have little of it from their birth.

I was speaking of my own experiences with liberal professors, as well as the experience of my family and some of my friends.

You seriously think an average church-going far-right conservative is more intelligent than an average far-left professor? I could swallow that the church-going conservative is wiser, but to say that professors are stupider than a you-know-who strikes me as amusingly, partisanly, inaccurate.

No, I did not say that. (and what does church going have to do with anything? Some of my professors got to church everyday) I have met some incredible intelligent people without degrees, and some incredibly intelligent people with 8 year degrees, but by the same token I have met a lot of mud dumb people without degrees, and a lot of mud dumb people with degrees. I am not saying that people with degrees are dumber, just that a degree does not make them smarter.

P.S. Hehe, please use paragraphs - do not make a poor liberal suffer more than the must .
    lol, I enjoy making them there liberals suffer.

Well, we should not disagree that much, as I generally like or at least tolerate most of what the Tories push. The US Republicans are my problem. But what is wrong with the underlined part? Surely they know better than us. Your sentiment is a strikingly human one (I know, it is 'duh', but still, read on) as it is only natural to feel antagonistic towards persons of higher rank, especially when they meddle so much. But you think a liberal does not have to deal with that? I know the scientists are exponentially smarter than me, yet I accept their actions.
    Smarter? Not necessarily all of them. And even if they were, they are still human, subject to error (even grievous error), and history shows not above distorting the truth for money, position, or to push their own political agenda.
    They are not a level better than the common person, and even always smarter, they just have a different profession and the knowledge and training that goes with it. The fact that there are almost no issues where these Uberhumans do not disagree should make their humanity all the clearer. At some point, the average person has to look at the arguments and decide for themselves. Otherwise it will be untrained, ignorant politicians accepting the view point of whichever scientist who will further their political agenda.

Wink Re: No more global warming?

Yeah, whatever...

What happened Tribesman I didn't realise he was banned. Only Mayomen are really allowed to jibe a Tribesman thats because our two counties have been natural enemies for centuries long before the English decided they needed to annoy us in our real hatreds. Noooooo I am diminished my Herring Choker insults are now completely irrelevant.

Quote Originally Posted by gaelic cowboy View Post
    What happened Tribesman I didn't realise he was banned. Only Mayomen are really allowed to jibe a Tribesman thats because our two counties have been natural enemies for centuries long before the English decided they needed to annoy us in our real hatreds. Noooooo I am diminished my Herring Choker insults are now completely irrelevant.
    Tribesy banned? Oh dear me, what a shame.
    Pardon me while I got get a six pack, order pizza and mourn.

He is not perma-banned AFAIK, and he will come back with vengeance, that is certain. And I shall be his apprentice, if he deems me worthy enough of his immaculate liberal presence.

He is not perma-banned AFAIK, and he will come back with vengeance, that is certain. And I shall be his apprentice, if he deems me worthy enough of his immaculate liberal presence.
    Hey, don't rain on my parade.

Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast