Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Kung Fu Mafia III [Concluded]

Default Kung Fu Mafia III [Concluded]

When we last left our heroes...

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Beefy had begun to sober up...holding his head to combat his hangover he wandered the halls of the temple. Everywhere he went he saw dead pirates, bottles of rum smashed on the ground beside them. These Incan's were tougher than they'd thought they would be. Coming around the corner he spotted CountArach. He was smiling.

"di shui zhi en dang yi yong quan xiang bao" said CA.

"What kinda sun god jibber jabber is that?" Beefy was still confused. CountArach smashed his forehead in with his bare hand. Stepping over the bodies of dead pirates he made his way down to the docks. Most of the monks had left the island with the women and children when the pirate ship had appeared. He had been left behind with makaikhaan to deal with the pirate rabble. One kung fu master would have been sufficient but they thought it would be nice to have company. Of course they hadn't counted on the incan god...CountArach stopped to pay his respects at makaikhaan's grave before leaving the island. They would build a small shrine here in tribute to his sacrifice:

CountArach heads out in his boat:

Having realized that the coastline was not a safe place for a monastery after all, CountArach led his people deep into the mountains, where he founded a new monastery.

The years seemed to fly by, and CountArach matured from a young and brash monk to the aged leader of the monastery, a wise kung fu master. There was peace in the monastery, but he worried that it was his reputation that kept those who would attack it away, and that once he was gone the monastery would fall.

And so one day, he gathered the monks for an announcement.

"You are all soft and weak!"

(this was how he began every speech)

"And so I have devised a test. When you return to your rooms, you will find a slip of paper under your pillow. For most of you it will contain your name only. Once you have read it, you must destroy it immediately. For three of you, those who I consider to be the strongest fighters, it will contain your name and the names of your partners. You had better be especially careful to destroy that paper. You will be monks by day, ninja by night. During the night, you will mark a select few with the symbol of our monastery. That symbol will remain until the exercise is complete. And for the rest of you monks, during the day you will attempt to find the ninja, and to vote for who you think they are. The person receiving the most votes will also have the symbol painted on their forehead. You must hone your instincts and your detective skills, for it is they alone that will save you in a real infiltration.

Good luck!"

The three ninja will get 2 "kills" per night at the start, dropping to 1 after the first of them is lynched (or they can choose to kill just one...).

The monks (townies) each have a duel score. They all start with a duel score of six. This can change in the following ways:
    • Not voting drops it by one for each day missed. The kung fu master will kick anyone whose score is too low out of the temple.
    • Winning a duel will increase it by one. Losing a duel has no effect.
    • Voting for one of the ninja will raise it by 2 if that person is not in the lead when the vote is cast, and by another 2 if they are lynched that round. Voting for a ninja who is in the lead raises it by 1. The final vote cast is the one that counts.
    • Giving the best answer to a riddle raises it by one.
    • Surviving a night attack raises it by one.

The dueling system:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Duels occur when one person posts "Challenge: So-and-so". That person is honor bound to take part in the duel. There will be a maximum of three per day.

If you find you don't have time for the game and wish to "suicide", you may post Challenge:CountArach. You will of course, lose, and be removed from the game. Suicide pacts will not be allowed however.

Duels are not done by a 7 > 6 so 7 wins system. Instead it will be a dice role, so 2 can beat 12.

The person defeated in combat must rest to heal their wounds, and cannot post for 24 hours or until the end of the day phase, whichever is longer. Their vote is invalidated. I will try and catch the duels during the day and do a quick write-up.

Monks have a chance of beating back their ninja attacker, this chance starts at 6% (1% for every duel point). You would have to work very hard to make this a significant obstacle.

You will not be informed of any changes to your duel score (too much work, and it would reveal who the ninja were). At the end of the game the numbers will be posted however.

There will be no night phase, instead the day will last 36-48 hours, during which time all night orders will be sent to me. I will probably ask for a set in advance to ensure that none are missed.

The ninja will do their own "kill" write-ups.

At the beginning of each day, I will post a riddle or trick question with a vaguely eastern theme (as accurately eastern as my depiction of monastery life :p ). The kung fu master encourages mental acuity as well as physical ability!

Rules and such:
    • There will be no townie pm.
    • Roles will not be revealed upon "death".
    • Since "dead" players aren't really dead they can talk as much as they want too.
    • The ninja win when they eliminate every last monk, not when the numbers become equal as in a regular game, because the monks have a chance to survive a night attack and to nullify a ninja's vote. A very slim chance. Ninja start with higher scores, gain in score for making "kills", and in the scenario that would normally be game over, they don't need to hide and may combine their numbers.
    • PM's from me or from other players may be quoted. No screenshots however.

Rule Addendum: If you lose a duel you are allowed 1 "Darn it!" type post, no game commentary though.

Rule Addendum: Since I just realized this could be a problem, if you lose a duel you are still allowed to post an answer to the riddle, as long as you don't reference the game.

Signed up(28/28):
    GeneralHankerchief
    A Very Super Market
    Tratorix
    CountArach
    Crazed Rabbit
    pevergreen
    Yaseikhaan
    Beefy
    Death is Yonder
    Andres
    CDF
    TinCow
    johnhughthom
    Sigurd
    Ichigo
    shlin
    atheotes
    Beskar
    Khazaar
    Sithlord
    Reenk
    scottishranger
    Askthepizzaguy
    Chaotix
    Double A
    CCRunner
    split
    Renata
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 10-26-2009 at 05:15.

Illuminated Moderator Pogo Panic Champion, Graveyard Champion, Missle Attack Champion, Ninja Kid Champion, Pop-Up Killer Champion, Ratman Ralph Champion GeneralHankerchief's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Kung Fu Mafia III

In, should be fun to actually play a game again.
    "I'm going to die anyway, and therefore have nothing more to do except deliberately annoy Lemur." -Orb, in the chat
    "Lemur. Even if he's innocent, he's a pain; so kill him." -Ignoramus
    "I'm going to need to collect all of the rants about the guilty lemur, and put them in a pretty box with ponies and pink bows. Then I'm going to sprinkle sparkly magic dust on the box, and kiss it." -Lemur
    Mafia: Promoting peace and love since June 2006

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    At times I read back my own posts [...]. It's not always clear at first glance.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Sure. In.
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Cool beans. In.

Oh, and before I forget, about the riddles. Mainly just for fun, but I thought they could add flavor in a zen koan kind of way. Obviously I can't think up zen koans on my own though.

It may be one person, multiple people, or nobody who gets the credit, I will say which. Sometimes I will give it even if I had a difference answer in mind sometimes not.

And to get us started, an opening question which you can answer in your sign up post if you like (it will count):

Why does the kung fu master value mental acuity as much as physical ability?

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

I must defend my title... actually I was reading back over this game the other day whilst procrastinating. Good times.

EDIT: As for the question - Kung Fu is a totality. Only by becoming one with the world and experiencing the true fullness of what the Universe has to offer can one truly become a master.
    Last edited by CountArach; 10-22-2009 at 07:45.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because weakness can be found not only in the body, but in the mind as well.

In!

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Spirit King Senior Member seireikhaan's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then, the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This game is where I lost my honour.
    I will join to regain it

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

Those who are quick in mind will also be quick in body, because they move at the speed of thought.

Epitome of Ephemeral Success Member Death is yonder's Avatar
    A perpetual tropical island by the equator

In!

Only through the mastering of mental acuity, will a monk be disciplined enough to master his physical ability, yet, without physical ability, a monk's mental acuity is of no use in defense.
    You cannot add days to life but you can add life to days.

Liar and Trickster Senior Member Andres's Avatar

In.

He's just making that stuff up to keep his position, because kung fu master is old and fat. To divert attention away from his miserable physical condition, he claims that the mind is as important as the body and of course, hís mind is "superior" and blahblahblah and compensates for his age and fatness. Time to remove granddad and to put a younger, stronger and more attractive monk, like me, in charge of this monastery. I promise women, free beer and awesome parties.
    Last edited by Andres; 10-22-2009 at 09:58.
    Andres is our Lord and Master and could strike us down with thunderbolts or beer cans at any time. ~Askthepizzaguy

Ja mata, TosaInu

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Because only in hiding one's identity, can one truly be known.
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Andres View Post
    In.

He's just making that stuff up to keep his position, because kung fu master is old and fat. To divert attention away from his miserable physical condition, he claims that the mind is as important as the body and of course, hís mind is "superior" and blahblahblah and compensates for his age and fatness. Time to remove granddad and to put a younger, stronger and more attractive monk, like me, in charge of this monastery. I promise women, free beer and awesome parties.
    If I weren't the old, fat and stupid one I would vote for you.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Dejotaros moc Praesutagos Member Cultured Drizzt fan's Avatar

alright.
    Micheal D'Anjou
    memory of the short lived king of Babylon Patrokles Adiabenikos

Bureaucratically Efficient Senior Member TinCow's Avatar

In.

I'm very interested in seeing how the "no posting for 24 hours" bit works. I've read a lot of descriptions of mafia roles, and preventing people from posting is an apparently common ability/rule that never gets used in our games.

A proverb a day keeps the Alzheimer's away.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Hii-YAA!

A quick lie is as good as a quick mouse click.

Dragonslayer Emeritus Senior Member Sigurd's Avatar

In!

A healthy body is a healthy mind.
    Last edited by Sigurd; 10-22-2009 at 13:33.
    Status Emeritus

in...

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

In!

Last time it was all pirates (well... mostly), this time its all monks?

IN
    physical ability is a tool best utilized by a sharp mind

Voting for one of the ninja will raise it by 2 if that person is not in the lead when the vote is cast, and by another 2 if they are lynched that round. Voting for a ninja who is in the lead raises it by 1. The final vote cast is the one that counts.
    Need clarification on this. Please confirm my understanding of the rules:

Vote for ninja, not in the lead (2), ninja is lynched (2)= 4 points
    Vote for ninja, in the lead (2) , ninja is lynched (1) = 3 points
    Vote for monk (0), monk is lynched (0) = 0 points

Quote Originally Posted by Yaropolk View Post
    Need clarification on this. Please confirm my understanding of the rules:

Vote for ninja, in the lead (2) , ninja is lynched (1) = 3 points
    Vote for ninja, in the lead (1) , ninja is lynched (0) = 1 points

You can get just 2 points in the first scenario if the ninja isn't lynched--the extra two are a bonus of sorts.

Vote for ninja, in the lead (1) , ninja is lynched (0) = 1 points

You can get just 2 points in the first scenario if the ninja isn't lynched--the extra two are a bonus of sorts.
    It seems to me that this system will automatically tell us if we voted for a ninja. If you get 1 or 2 points after a day phase, you know that the person you voted for was a ninja. Is that how it works? If so, I'm concerned about this being exploited by an intentionally dispersed voting pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by TinCow View Post
    It seems to me that this system will automatically tell us if we voted for a ninja. If you get 1 or 2 points after a day phase, you know that the person you voted for was a ninja. Is that how it works? If so, I'm concerned about this being exploited by an intentionally dispersed voting pattern.
    You don't know if you got points for voting or not, only I do(and the ninja...):

You will not be informed of any changes to your duel score (too much work, and it would reveal who the ninja were). At the end of the game the numbers will be posted however.
    Although this is slightly incorrect because you will know if it went up from winning a duel or answering a riddle.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 10-22-2009 at 17:50.

Ah, sorry, I didn't notice that bit. Thanks for pointing it out.

Default Re: Kung Fu Mafia III (Sign-ups)

When you win a duel - does the loser get eliminated from the game?

Default Re: Kung Fu Mafia III (Sign-ups)

# Not voting drops it by one for each day missed. The kung fu master will kick anyone whose score is too low out of the temple.
    # Winning a duel will increase it by one. Losing a duel has no effect.
    The person defeated in combat must rest to heal their wounds, and cannot post for 24 hours or until the end of the day phase, whichever is longer. Their vote is invalidated.
    is it correct to assume that in case i lose a duel... i must make sure i have my vote lodged prior to the duel so that i dont lose a duel point for not voting? I understand my vote wont be counted.

Page 1 of 17 1234511 ... LastLast