Thread: Repairing damaged walls

Default Repairing damaged walls

How can I repair fortifications ?

City walls of Paris are 100% on campaign map, but each time I get assaulted they're just a pile of rubble, exactly the way I left them after taking the city.

Any other way than demolish / rebuild ? Will it at least work this way ?

I've searched the threads but couldn't find anything related to this.

"That's what we need : someone who'll strike the most brutal blow possible, with perfect aim and with no regard for consequences. Total War."

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Default Re: Repairing damaged walls

I have heard that they would self repair given time and the region free of enemies in earlier versions.

It could be back to broken in 1.5 or it may still self repair. Of course there is no way to tell after all the enemies are defeated.

I would just leave it and if you still have holes if you are attacked in 9 or 10 turns you know it is broken again...

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

kwait nait Member Monsieur Alphonse's Avatar

The only solution is to demolish and then rebuild them. Which is a rather expensive way to repair something.

"Oh no someone broke in to my house and now my front door is broken. Please repairman can you fix it? Sure Madam we blow up the house and build a new one."
    Last edited by Monsieur Alphonse; 10-25-2009 at 10:32.
    Tosa Inu

...and this is supposed to be the "finished" version of ETW?
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

I'm calling in the demolition squads.

On second thought, better not - it's actually easier to fight assaulting enemies when there are holes in the walls - they tend to funnel through one of the breaches and head straight for the flag which makes them very easy targets. Good walls = costly melee, better to avoid.

"That's what we need : someone who'll strike the most brutal blow possible, with perfect aim and with no regard for consequences. Total War."

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

A couple of cannon set to canister pointing at the hole are nice. They also get striped up quickly that way.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Canister shots at bottlenecks is always a good idea, and you can put regular line infantry on both sides of the hole (far away enough of course) so that they make mincemeat out of anything that survives the canister shots.
    Homo Sapiens non Urinat in Ventum - the wise man does not piss against the wind.

Actually for forts you can easily repair the damage after a battle. Just click on it and click repair for it.

Not sure how they intended to do it for cities, I suspect it's a bug.

I've had Amsterdam's Advanced Fortifications fix themselves between two AI attacks in the same turn yet had the same class of fortifications in India stay damaged for turn after turn...

I've used troops to deploy cheval-de-frise just inside the breaches or light infantry to deploy stakes just outside the breach with some success - wiping out the attacking cavalry just leaves the infantry to be dealt with...

Line infantry about 50 yards either side of the breach and garrisoned in fort buildings with arty in support firing solid & canister through the gap is also good.

I've had good results with two batteries, one firing canister and the other solid shot straight through the plug of densely packed attackers. Kills so many attackers that some units immediately break and try to turn around to flee, plugging the breach for even longer and allowing further shots.

Does wonders for the artillery crews XPs...

Cheers,
    Dreadnought2

Berlin level 1 fort doesn't repair itself either apparently. Defended it yesterday for the first time in at least 10 turns and it was broken, and now the damn swedes shot another hole in it.

I find the level 1 (artillery fort?) a little crammed sometimes, it can be hard to place howitzers so they don't fire into walls or buildings sometimes. Do you guys find it worthwhile to upgrade to star fort for that reason, because I can't really see any other advantage of a larger fort, I only keep flint locks on the walls for a while anyway. The larger space might also give you an easier time to place infantry around breaches or on the approach to the flag I guess?

The best defenses I've had are where there is a breach on the opposite side of the fort from the enemys deployment area, so they run past all my disposable citizenry on the walls and get shot up and exhausted by the time they go through the breach, but that's rather random if you don't take down your own walls at the back of your fort at the start of the battle.

I experienced this bug in ETW and unsurprisingly experienced it after in NTW. So I have successfully tested a modification of a NTW .save file that may work with ETW as these games are close. Below is what I did.

1) Install an editor. For my part, I used ESF Editor but SaveParser should also do the job.
    2) Make of course a backup of the .save file.
    3) Find the location which interests us by following the path below.

Code:
    CAMPAIGN_SAVE_GAME
        CAMPAIGN_ENV
            CAMPAIGN_MODEL
                WORLD
                    REGION_MANAGER
                        REGIONS_ARRAY[x]
                            REGION
                                SETTLEMENT
                                    SIEGABLE_GARRISON_RESIDENCE
                                        FORTIFICATIONS_BLOCK[y]
                                            FORTIFICATION_DAMAGE_INFO
    We can find an array of elements of type FORTIFICATIONS_BLOCK, each containing an object of type FORTIFICATION_DAMAGE_INFO with a set of attributes that I note "a ; b ; c" hereafter.

Example for undamaged city walls
    array index 0 : 1 ; 0 ; 0
    array index 1 : 1 ; 1 ; 0
    array index 2 : 1 ; 2 ; 0
    array index 3 : 1 ; 3 ; 0
    4) Modify the appropriate attributes

For my part, I noticed that the array looked like that. The indices 4 to 7 of this array seem to correspond to those of the previous array.
    array index 0 : 0.9 ; 0 ; 1
    array index 1 : 1 ; 1 ; 0
    array index 2 : 1 ; 2 ; 0
    array index 3 : 1 ; 3 ; 0
    array index 4 : 1 ; 0 ; 0
    array index 5 : 1 ; 1 ; 0
    array index 6 : 1 ; 2 ; 0
    array index 7 : 1 ; 3 ; 0
    Just modify the attributes of index 0 as follows and the walls should be repaired !
    0.9 ; 0 ; 1 => 1 ; 0 ; 0

Note that if you delete array elements, ESF Editor seems to double the size of your .save file, as if it made a copy of the old content.

I didn't notice any corruption as a result of this modification in the new .save file but feel free to notify me if not.

Links
    sourceforge.net/projects/esfeditor/
    sourceforge.net/projects/saveparser/