Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 15 Year Old Gang Raped as 20 Watch

Default 15 Year Old Gang Raped as 20 Watch

Police: As many as 20 present at gang rape outside school dance

Richmond, California (CNN) -- Investigators say as many as 20 people were involved in or stood and watched the gang rape of a 15-year-old girl outside a California high school homecoming dance Saturday night.

Police posted a $20,000 reward Tuesday for anyone who comes to them with information that helps arrest and convict those involved in what authorities describe as a 2½-hour assault on the Richmond High School campus in suburban San Francisco.

Two teenage suspects have been jailed, but more arrests, as many as 20 total, are expected, according to a police detective.

"We will be making arrests continually as we develop probable cause," said Richmond Police Lt. Mark Gagan. "With this number of people implicated in the incident we're going to be making arrests on an ongoing basis."

As many as 10 people were involved in the assault in a dimly lighted back alley at the school, while another 10 people watched without calling 911 to report it, police said.

A 1999 California law makes it illegal not to report a witnessed crime against a child, but the law applies only to children 14 and under.

"We do not have the ability to arrest people who witnessed the crime and did nothing," Gagan said. "The law can be very rigid. We don't have the authority to make an arrest."

Charles Ramsey, a member of the Richmond school board, said the school district bears some responsibility for the attack. School administrators and police apparently weren't watching the area as they should have, Ramsey said.

The school said it would hold a safety meeting for parents and students Wednesday evening to address the assault.

The victim was found unconscious under a bench shortly before midnight Saturday, after police received a call from someone in the area who had overheard people at the assault scene "reminiscing about the incident," Richmond Police Lt. Mark Gagan said.

The girl was flown by helicopter to a hospital where she was admitted in critical condition. She was in stable condition Tuesday, police said.

Investigators canvassed the community with fliers, which included the reward offer, hoping to identify more suspects Tuesday.

"There is one individual in custody who has made some spontaneous statements that have led me to believe that he is culpable for what happened," Richmond police Lt. Johan Simon said.

Nineteen-year-old Manuel Ortega, described as a former student at the school, was arrested soon after he fled the scene and will face charges of rape, robbery and kidnapping, police said.

A 15-year-old was later arrested and charged with one count of felony sexual assault. A third teenager was being interviewed, Gagan said.

"Based on witness statements and suspect statements, and also physical evidence, we know that she was raped by at least four suspects committing multiple sex acts," Gagan said.

"As people announced over time that this was going on, more people came to see, and some actually participated," Gagan said.

The attack occurred on school grounds as the annual homecoming dance was under way inside the school Saturday night, authorities said.
    Why couldn't the law have applied to 15 year olds too?

This is tragic story... I'm really hoping they catch everyone involved.

Should one be liable, regardless of the age of the victim, for observing such a heinous crime and not reporting it?
    Last edited by Ice; 10-28-2009 at 03:44.

Default Re: 15 Year Old Gang Raped as 20 Watch

Of course...someone has to go to jail

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ice View Post
    Why couldn't the law have applied to 15 year olds too?
    From a law perspective that's an incredibly odd discrepancy in the legislation. You'd think that the legislation would be streamlined so all minors are protected by that statute.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

I don't see how that doesn't constitute criminal negligence at the very least.

The Black Senior Member Papewaio's Avatar

Question Re: 15 Year Old Gang Raped as 20 Watch

Surely it should be a crime not to report a rape or murder for any age group?
    Our genes maybe in the basement but it does not stop us chosing our point of view from the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat
    Pape for global overlord!!
    Quote Originally Posted by English assassin
    Squid sources report that scientists taste "sort of like chicken"
    Quote Originally Posted by frogbeastegg View Post
    The rest is either as average as advertised or, in the case of the missionary, disappointing.

Mr Self Important Senior Member Beskar's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I watched a film, apparently, you can watch a crime being done and not be charged. Only if you assisted in any shape or form, such as shouting taunts/cheering, blocking the path, and other things, then you can be charged.

There was also a very high profile crime where a girl was murdered in the street, and there were a bunch of wittinesses, however, no one reported it to the police, some one a block away who heard it did.

All sorts of things.
    Last edited by Beskar; 10-28-2009 at 07:41.
    Days since the Apocalypse began
    "We are living in space-age times but there's too many of us thinking with stone-age minds" | How to spot a Humanist
    "Men of Quality do not fear Equality." | "Belief doesn't change facts. Facts, if you are reasonable, should change your beliefs."

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

The sickest guess: Maybe some of them is recording that rape with their video-cellphone.....

That's why they didn't report it because they enjoy it......

Lower than animals.....

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

When I read the title, I thought this was another Paris thread.

The witnesses aren't witnesses to a crime at all. They are active participants in a crime. Their presence egged on the perpetrators to go ahead. They were the audience, while the perpetrators performed the show. These people knew what this was all about. The police is a bit naive here, I think, with little understanding of modern subculture.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

Violence is scary, and the more people are watching the more likely it is that nobody acts, diffusion of responsibility. Goes the other way around as well, a group of ten isn't dangerous, a group of 3 is.

Lower than animals.....
    Please, they are just humans. That is exactly what humans are all about. Animals don't find joy in the suffering of others. Apparently, we do.

;--------------

This is sickening, and I hope the police 'll catch anyone that was involved.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Animals don't find joy in the suffering of others.
    Ever heard or seen a cat playing with a mouse? A killer whale with a half dead, young seal? Anyway, it's tangential to the topic.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Please, they are just humans. That is exactly what humans are all about. Animals don't find joy in the suffering of others. Apparently, we do.
    Oh really http://www.bol.com/nl/p/boeken/van-n...244/index.html <-good read, does assume a minimum of understanding of psychology but it's perfectly readable.

Good and evil are pretty much useless when it comes to animals. Is a lion bad for killing a giraffe?

We shouldn't judge the behaviour of animals in our own words.

Ever heard or seen a cat playing with a mouse? A killer whale with a half dead, young seal? Anyway, it's tangential to the topic.
    Well yeah, sure, but can we use the words good and evil? Does the whale/cat realize what they're doing? I don't think so. I might be wrong, though.
    Last edited by Hax; 10-28-2009 at 13:37.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Good and evil are pretty much useless when it comes to animals.
    Primates know cruelty, sadism, genuine and strategic altruism.

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

For 150 minutes, no adult attending the dance noticed the steady stream of students going outdoors? There was zero security present at a school-wide event?
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

An appalling case, both the students involved and there so called "supervisors" should be heald to account.

I'm not quite sure how the prison system works in California but it would be nice if those involved got sent to the real pen instead of "baby booking". Let them get set upon by a gang of sexually starved felons, see how they like it.

"A lamb goes to the slaughter but a man, he knows when to walk away."

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

I don't know how they could stand by and just watch that. If I was there I would have seen red. **** my own safety, that's a young girl being attacked!
    Last edited by miotas; 10-28-2009 at 15:25. Reason: spelling

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

these people are total . This is probably the sickest thing i have heard of later. and you know they were all taunting and laughing. I guarantee someone has it on their cellphone. Absolute bull with that law.

God these sick little

honestly it was really hard not to cuss in this post after reading that

Of course it is, but you handled your post here wonderfully. This moderator hereby awards you a for venting in the proper fashion. -- SF
    Last edited by Seamus Fermanagh; 10-28-2009 at 16:14. Reason: Complimenting Poster

Quote Originally Posted by miotas View Post
    I don't know how they could stand by and just watch that. If I was there I would have seen red. **** my own safety, that's a young girl being attacked!
    Really? Don't know if I would. You don't know what's going on. Nobody does, so everything must be just fine. You will know and you will know everybody knows but that is how it goes.

Peerless Senior Member johnhughthom's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    Really? Don't know if I would.
    I have to agree, we all like to think we would jump in and stop it but you can never really be sure until you are in that situation. The type of person who would do that to a girl is not likely to stop and say "Oh, sorry how naughty of me I will stop now." Chances are jumping in would just get you a serious beating.

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

I know I would. Texans don't stand for such transgressions.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    I know I would. Texans don't stand for such transgressions.
    If I was built like you I know I would too, most of us aren't though.
    Last edited by johnhughthom; 10-28-2009 at 15:57.

Quote Originally Posted by johnhughthom View Post
    I have to agree, we all like to think we would jump in and stop it but you can never really be sure until you are in that situation. The type of person who would do that to a girl is not likely to stop and say "Oh, sorry how naughty of me I will stop now." Chances are jumping in would just get you a serious beating.
    Well done it and would do it again, but people can't always accept what they see. Especially when a lot of people are seeing it, it's called diffusion of responsibility.

Should be possible to call the police, still.
    Last edited by Viking; 10-28-2009 at 15:59.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Should be possible to call the police, still.
    That's not what I was talking about, of course you should call the police.

That's not what I was talking about, of course you should call the police.
    None of the 10 "kids" (or so I presume) did. Whether they were random people or in it from the beginning remains a question. If you as an outsider/adult came there, you shouldn't have much doubt in mind, nope.
    Last edited by Viking; 10-28-2009 at 16:12.
    Runes for good luck:

[1 - exp(i*2π)]^-1

Praefectus Fabrum Senior Member Anime BlackJack Champion, Flash Poker Champion, Word Up Champion, Shape Game Champion, Snake Shooter Champion, Fishwater Challenge Champion, Rocket Racer MX Champion, Jukebox Hero Champion, My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion, Funky Pong Champion, Cutie Quake Champion, Fling The Cow Champion, Tiger Punch Champion, Virus Champion, Solitaire Champion, Worm Race Champion, Rope Walker Champion, Penguin Pass Champion, Skate Park Champion, Watch Out Champion, Lawn Pac Champion, Weapons Of Mass Destruction Champion, Skate Boarder Champion, Lane Bowling Champion, Bugz Champion, Makai Grand Prix 2 Champion, White Van Man Champion, Parachute Panic Champion, BlackJack Champion, Stans Ski Jumping Champion, Smaugs Treasure Champion, Sofa Longjump Champion Seamus Fermanagh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    ... These people knew what this was all about. The police is a bit naive here, I think, with little understanding of modern subculture.
    Or, perhaps, the constraints imposed by laws and procedures prevent them from providing you with their "unvarnished" assessment of the "bystanders" involved. In general, our police tend to be well aware of most such things on a personal, if not an official, level.
    "The only way that has ever been discovered to have a lot of people cooperate together voluntarily is through the free market. And that's why it's so essential to preserving individual freedom.” -- Milton Friedman

"The urge to save humanity is almost always a false front for the urge to rule." -- H. L. Mencken

Nobody expects the Senior Member Lemur's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    There was also a very high profile crime where a girl was murdered in the street, and there were a bunch of wittinesses, however, no one reported it to the police, some one a block away who heard it did.
    I think you're referencing Kitty Genovese. Famous case from the mid-sixties, caused nation-wide revulsion.

I can't even read articles like this. Or rather, I shouldn't. There's no point to getting myself worked up and rageful. Doesn't do me a bit of good.

All I can say is that I have personally intervened and helped stop crimes twice. The second time I was joined by another man who helped me pursue the criminal. (This was around 1 a.m. in a not-so-good part of Chicago, and the other man was a taxi driver who stopped when he heard the woman screaming.)

I can't do anything about gah-heads like the bystanders in the article, but I can do something when it's on my watch. And based on my (very) limited experience, there are good guys, and we outnumber the bad guys. So them.

Arena Senior Member Crazed Rabbit's Avatar
    Blog Entries

http://www.dol.wa.gov/business/firearms/faconceal.html

Also, you could probably run these scum off by yelling and loudly calling police. Or get a buddy to go with you. And the failure of the school to stop this is inexcusable.

Still, though, I'm not sure about laws requiring reporting of crimes.

CR
    Ja Mata, Tosa.

The poorest man may in his cottage bid defiance to all the forces of the Crown. It may be frail; its roof may shake; the wind may blow through it; the storm may enter; the rain may enter; but the King of England cannot enter – all his force dares not cross the threshold of the ruined tenement! - William Pitt the Elder

Devout worshipper of Bilious Member miotas's Avatar

For those who value their own well being there is always the option loudly yelling "It's the cops! Run!".

- Four Horsemen of the Presence

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast