Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7

Default Windows 7

Anyone tried EB on windows 7?

Any issues?

Default Re: Windows 7

I think one person has had a problem with the installer. Don't know if it was resolved, or if it had anything to do with Windows 7.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

My copy comes this week, so on weekend I will try to get it to work and post the result here.
    I heard that eventually the installer could cause problems.

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Dunno, I got Win7 but didn't install EB yet, that's because I've got test week (14 tests in a week) and when I got EB, I can't get myself to learning
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Just run it on the XP VM.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Have a copy of Windows 7 Ultimate, EB seems to work alright.

Although when I try opening the EB Trivialscript in Programs it doesn't seem to work... Actually, this could be an unrelated problem as I had to install EB twice

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Skullheadhq View Post
    Dunno, I got Win7 but didn't install EB yet, that's because I've got test week (14 tests in a week) and when I got EB, I can't get myself to learning
    Tentamenweek hier op de HBO, 3 gedaan nog 2 te gaan.

I will get Windows 7 in more than a week, of course the first thing I'm going to do when I get it is install EB. Then I'll report back here.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

The EB installer should work in Windows 7.

However points worth noting:

1. The installer must run in 32bit mode (WoW64 on 64bit Windows) probably; the reason for this idea is that most installers are actually 16bit mini programs. If for some reason a 64bit Windows 7 is configured to disable WoW64 this is going to be a problem.
    2. The installer may have to be run as Administrator.
    3. If your processor supports it (bare metal hypervisors) and you have it installed there is XP mode. XP mode should be a viable option for running *TW games since these require pretty much zero in forms of features particular to Vista or 7 and do not integrate with the desktop anyway.
    4. You must have hardware drivers that fit the driver model introduced for Vista (WDM 1.0); Vista allowed some XP driver work but apparently 7 does not permit it.
    5. On 64bit Windows these drivers must be signed.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 11-04-2009 at 04:26.
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

Quote Originally Posted by Tellos Athenaios View Post
    The EB installer should work in Windows 7.

However points worth noting:

1. The installer must run in 32bit mode (WoW64 on 64bit Windows) probably; the reason for this idea is that most installers are actually 16bit mini programs. If for some reason a 64bit Windows 7 is configured to disable WoW64 this is going to be a problem.
    2. The installer may have to be run as Administrator.
    3. If your processor supports it (bare metal hypervisors) and you have it installed there is XP mode. XP mode should be a viable option for running *TW games since these require pretty much zero in forms of features particular to Vista or 7 and do not integrate with the desktop anyway.
    4. You must have hardware drivers that fit the driver model introduced for Vista (WDM 1.0); Vista allowed some XP driver work but apparently 7 does not permit it.
    5. On 64bit Windows these drivers must be signed.

I will going to have Windows 7 64 Bit - because of the 6 Gigs of Ram. So I won't be able to play RTW or EB? Will EB II be for Win7? Why are these Points worth nothing? They sound quite convincing to me ^^ *panic*
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 11-04-2009 at 10:42.
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Fluvius Camillus View Post
    Tentamenweek hier op de HBO, 3 gedaan nog 2 te gaan.

I will get Windows 7 in more than a week, of course the first thing I'm going to do when I get it is install EB. Then I'll report back here.

~Fluvius
    Haha ja wat een narigheid

So it should work, someone who tried this can confirm it?

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    I will going to have Windows 7 64 Bit - because of the 6 Gigs of Ram. So I won't be able to play RTW or EB? Will EB II be for Win7? Why are these Points worth nothing? They sound quite convincing to me ^^ *panic*
    They are points worth noting: i.e worth taking notice of/scribbling on a note...

None of those points should actually prevent you from getting stuff installed & running* -- unless WoW64 is entirely unavailable on your 64bit Windows system which I have not yet heard of: AFAIK it is merely turned -off- by default. Just like how Windows Vista ships with IIS 6, or support for LPD/LPR printing (useful when printing using a printer connected to your router) but you have to turn it on through the control panel in order to use it first.

*Unless it is your hardware in which case you are going to be sufficiently stuffed on the desktop that you won't even bother installing RTW/EB first before fixing that. Stuffed as in a 600x480 screen with a single window by default requesting 1024x768 or more so you cannot even make that Window smaller. Did I mention yet how utterly wonderful out-of-the-box Windows is?
    - Tellos Athenaios
    CUF tool - XIDX - PACK tool - SD tool - EVT tool - EB Install Guide - How to track down loading CTD's - EB 1.1 Maps thread

ὁ δ᾽ ἠλίθιος ὣσπερ πρόβατον βῆ βῆ λέγων βαδίζει” – Kratinos in Dionysalexandros.

I have Windows 7 x64 and EB runs just fine (RTW installed outside of c:\program files). Two anti-points:
    1) I don't think most installers are 16-bit these days. Anyway, EB's one is 32 bit
    2) I'm not sure XP mode is a viable solution because it isn't designed to support graphics-intensive applications.
    Last edited by iamphet; 11-04-2009 at 14:25.

Well you tested.

EDIT: Reading up XP Mode a bit further it would appear to be closer to Virtual Box to-day and therefore not suitable for running RTW/EB (unless you do have a lot of hardware resources to work with and even then it would still be very suboptimal) as well as only being available on Win 7 Professional and more expensive.

The 16bit installer thing comes mostly the fact that they contain legacy code to probe the test machine and launch the actual 32bit installer.
    Application Installation

Lack of support for 16-bit DOS, Windows, or OS/2 applications on 64-bit Windows presents a significant barrier to application installation programs, because they often use a 16-bit stub to check the machine type, then launch a 32-bit install engine to actually perform the installation.

To work around this problem, 64-bit Windows recognizes specific 16-bit installer programs and substitutes a ported 32-bit version. The list of substitutions is stored in the registry under the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\NtVdm64. There is built-in support for several installer engines, including InstallShield 5.x installers.

Note that the 64-bit Windows Installer can seamlessly install 32-bit MSI-based applications on 64-bit Windows.
    Though it does mention the 16bit probes are automatically substituted on the fly with 32bit ones -- but that still requires WoW64.
    Last edited by Tellos Athenaios; 11-04-2009 at 15:08.
    - Tellos Athenaios

They are points worth noting: i.e worth taking notice of/scribbling on a note...

None of those points should actually prevent you from getting stuff installed & running* -- unless WoW64 is entirely unavailable on your 64bit Windows system which I have not yet heard of: AFAIK it is merely turned -off- by default. Just like how Windows Vista ships with IIS 6, or support for LPD/LPR printing (useful when printing using a printer connected to your router) but you have to turn it on through the control panel in order to use it first.

*Unless it is your hardware in which case you are going to be sufficiently stuffed on the desktop that you won't even bother installing RTW/EB first before fixing that. Stuffed as in a 600x480 screen with a single window by default requesting 1024x768 or more so you cannot even make that Window smaller. Did I mention yet how utterly wonderful out-of-the-box Windows is?
    Ah, well, that's quite a difference *G*

Here's what I can say:

*I run Windows 7 Professional 64-bit edition
    *I run EB 1.2 with fixes over RTW 1.5
    *I set RomeTW.exe executable to the following settings:
    *Compatibility Mode: Windows XP SP3
    *Disable visual themes
    *Disable desktop composition
    *Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
    *Run this program as an administrator

Before applying those settings, I had plenty of CTD's. Now, I have had none. I can't guarantee that this will help, but it's worth trying. Good luck, and I hope you have an enjoyable experience, bug-free.

=]
    Vartan

P.S. For 64-bit system users I recommend editing the executable file header to allow it to use greater than 2GB of RAM. You can do this using header-editing software, such as CFF Explorer.
    Last edited by vartan; 11-04-2009 at 22:05. Reason: Addition to advice
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

I wonder if there will be a full Win7 64-Bit Version for EB II

Ehrm no: EB I and II contain absolutely zero executable (machine) code, much less Windows NT code be it 64bit or not. So there can not be such a thing as a “full Win7 64bit Version for EB II”.
    - Tellos Athenaios

I never even actually installed RTW on Windows 7. I had it on XP on my second harddrive, and when I dual booted windows 7, I ran EB without having to reinstall anything.

Performance wise, however, I find that on windows 7 the game slightly lags. I don't mean that the frame rate is lower (in fact it's the exact same), but more like it's skipping a frame or 2 per second. It's like when you're playing a game online and your internet connection is bad, so that your character keeps skipping around. It's kind of like that. I don't exactly know if it's because of me not updating my graphics card, but I rather doubt it as I think I've installed the latest ones online.

Just my 2 cents.

Balloons from my first place in the Official EB Online Tournament:
    - from Darius_d
    - from spiritusdilitus
    - from Alsatia

That explains much of my problems with W7...

Quote Originally Posted by JinandJuice View Post
    I never even actually installed RTW on Windows 7. I had it on XP on my second harddrive, and when I dual booted windows 7, I ran EB without having to reinstall anything.

Performance wise, however, I find that on windows 7 the game slightly lags. I don't mean that the frame rate is lower (in fact it's the exact same), but more like it's skipping a frame or 2 per second. It's like when you're playing a game online and your internet connection is bad, so that your character keeps skipping around. It's kind of like that. I don't exactly know if it's because of me not updating my graphics card, but I rather doubt it as I think I've installed the latest ones online.

Just my 2 cents.
    I run everything far faster than I ever did before now that I have Win 7 Pro 64. Why? I don't know. Ask Microsoft.
    Former Projects:

Still think it skips a frame or two, had this with any game so far.

Frame rate cannot stay the same and skip 2 per second at the same time. Either frame rate drops by 2 (it is still frames per second we're talking about) or it stays the same.

Anyways performing the upgrade myself right now; and the goal will be to install RTW in Program Files yet have EB work from elsewhere. (I.e. a setup like RTW in "C:\Program Files x86\Activison\Creative Assembly\RomeTW\" and EB in "C:\Users\Tellos Athenaios\Games\EB\Copy1\".)
    - Tellos Athenaios

No problems with Windows 7 Professional 64Bit so far. *Happy*

Anyways performing the upgrade myself right now; and the goal will be to install RTW in Program Files yet have EB work from elsewhere. (I.e. a setup like RTW in "C:\Program Files x86\Activison\Creative Assembly\RomeTW\" and EB in "C:\Users\Tellos Athenaios\Games\EB\Copy1\".)
    It didn't work to use Program Files; although it might work if you didn't have spaces in your Username....

Anyways a plain EB installation certainly *does* work in Windows 7, although if you use 64bit Windows it is certainly advisable to use a program such as CFF Explorer to allow RTW to use more than 2GB of RAM.
    - Tellos Athenaios

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

I installed EB 1.2 on my new win7 x32 laptop, works great, only difference is that everything is a lot faster!

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

Hi,

I've got x64 system and many CTD. Mostly during loading phase before and after battle (where screens with ancient ruler's coins appear, etc.). What is also interesting about this loading phase, there is 1 or 2 blinks where my desktop is shown and sometimes it crashes, sometimes continues without any error.
    I applied all suggestions mentioned in https://forums.totalwar.org/vb/showt...=1#post2371376 except editing header file.
    Problem didn't disappear and also performance is lower than before. Loading phase is longer, I've got lags during battles.

Any ideas what may help in this case?

A better question is, glacjan, how you found this 11 month old thread. I totally forgot this thread had existed.

Actually, no, it's not a better question, and I have no answer for yours. Ciao!

Balloons from my first place in the Official EB Online Tournament:
    - from Darius_d
    - from spiritusdilitus
    - from Alsatia

Quote Originally Posted by Glacjan View Post
    Hi,

I've got x64 system and many CTD...

Any ideas what may help in this case?
    From what I gather, this situation comes up for more than a few Windows 7 users. A sad but honest truth is that the video game that is being modified, Rome: Total War, was made and optimized for the operating system Windows XP. That may indeed be one of the defining barriers to your cause. Other than that, all I can say is that the post you linked to (my own) is what I myself did to achieve the best performance. Honestly, I think it only runs a little faster than it did on my Windows XP computer. Keep in mind, though, that my XP computer was a desktop, while my Win 7 computer is a laptop (albeit 64-bit). The best help I can give is the instructions to allocating over 2 GB RAM memory to the RTW engine executable, if you have over 2 GB RAM to begin with.

http://youtu.be/ROGg_D1BmnM?hd=1
    Former Projects:

EB Support Guy Senior Member XSamatan's Avatar

Before-battle-CTD's: Are all fixes applied?
    After-battle-CTD's: Waiting for 20-30 seconds before returning to campaign map helps to get around the engine-related memory leak.

If you are constantly flackering between desktop and EB, uncheck 'windowed' in the Trivial Script settings, if you are using a shortcut delete -ne from the target line

XSamatan

1.2 fixes - Updated regularly. Latest news from 2009-02-01.
    EB FAQ --- Tech help important thread list --- Frequent issues and solutions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast