Thread: RTRVII: Fate of Empires - Feedback

Default RTRVII: Fate of Empires - Feedback

Please post any feedback in this thread.

"Triarius" Tones - effective against armour!
    RTR Communications Dude & Tea Boy

Default Re: RTRVII: Fate of Empires - Feedback

Unit movement seems much faster than TIC, I don't like it.
    TIC movement speed was perfect for me.

Custom Battle faction unit rosters need to get trimmed down, way too many units in there.
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

Quote Originally Posted by hoom View Post
    Unit movement seems much faster than TIC, I don't like it.
    TIC movement speed was perfect for me.

Custom Battle faction unit rosters need to get trimmed down, way too many units in there.
    FOE is a much larger map than vanilla and we did experiment with a number of settings, what you have now is one that we think offers the best balance. The Custom Battle line ups only offer you the Faction's troops and the AoR and mercenary units that would be available to that faction, in different areas of the map,

"Triarius" Tones - effective against armour!
    RTR Communications Dude & Tea Boy

I meant the in-battle speeds. Too fast.
    TIC in-battle speed is perfect in my opinion.
    I played a TIC battle straight after a FOE battle & TIC was much better.

For the Custom Battle, the AOR units should be restricted to those historically/typically used by that faction.
    This was done for other mods eg RTR6 (maybe only actually done in PE?)
    Having so many AOR units there makes it hard to work out which troops are even faction units & enables fully balanced armies without any faction units.

I really like the free recruitment of levy type units for Cisalpine Gauls (is it same for other factions?) should enable short notice recruitment of big armies to fend off attacks or perform invasions.
    Proper heavy troops costing normal amounts & the high upkeep keeps it in check.

Epirus Bodyguard & Basilikon cavalry should be using the 2handed animation.

I'm not sure I like the Carthaginian hoplite units losing Shieldwall, I thought it worked nicely in TIC.
    Hoplites just shouldn't be fighting in loose order & units on hold formation tend to turn back to the enemy when you tell them to attack instead of letting the enemy come to them.

I tested Shieldwall & it does look a bit funny with the larger shields but perhaps the shields are a tad too large? Definitely were too small before but they seem just a little too big now.

Carthaginian chariots are pretty cool, I never really found chariots useful before but these work a lot like horse archers when in skirmish mode
    Could Carthaginian Towered Elephants use the same crew instead of the one they have currently?

I'm confused about some of the economic buildings, why are they so cheap to build?
    What is the Social & Economic Development building?
    maybe those guys should be doing something more useful...

I didn't enjoy TIC, not a bit.

But FOE, it's totally different story. I will give more feedback after I play some more turns.
    - REVENGE!!!
    - A NEW DYNASTY!!!

- a very generous bribe from Yarema

I been playing around with it for a little while now and two main gripes are the economics and stability. Mainly what to build and what not to build on the economics and city building. Its not easy to figure out and some of the choices don't make much sense. There is not much info either on how best to build up your cities. Its certainly not very intuitive. Frankly I dis-like it a lot. I hear there are plans to address this so hopefully they can improve it. My biggest gripe? This mod is extremely unstable. Its plagued with CTD issues. I have to constantly save before a turn, after a turn, before a battle and after a battle because I never know when its going to crash and it happens quite often. CTD occur during a movement turn and they also happen at the start of a battle, during, and sometimes right after. Not to sound mean but this is the worse RTW mod I have ever played when it comes to stability. I've read a lot of other people making similar complaints so I know its not just me or my PC. Something in the mod itself apparently. When the new RTR7 mod comes out I plan to delete FoE forever from my PC its that bad. RTR 2.5 and RTR6 were my favorites and I hope the new RTR 7 is just as good. I hope they go to a different building structure though. I don't like the one in FoE. I really want to enjoy FoE but unfortunately I can't due to some serious stability bugs.

Arrow Re: RTRVII: Fate of Empires - Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Skott View Post
    I been playing around with it for a little while now and two main gripes are the economics and stability. Mainly what to build and what not to build on the economics and city building. Its not easy to figure out and some of the choices don't make much sense. There is not much info either on how best to build up your cities. Its certainly not very intuitive. Frankly I dis-like it a lot. I hear there are plans to address this so hopefully they can improve it. My biggest gripe? This mod is extremely unstable. Its plagued with CTD issues. I have to constantly save before a turn, after a turn, before a battle and after a battle because I never know when its going to crash and it happens quite often. CTD occur during a movement turn and they also happen at the start of a battle, during, and sometimes right after. Not to sound mean but this is the worse RTW mod I have ever played when it comes to stability. I've read a lot of other people making similar complaints so I know its not just me or my PC. Something in the mod itself apparently. When the new RTR7 mod comes out I plan to delete FoE forever from my PC its that bad. RTR 2.5 and RTR6 were my favorites and I hope the new RTR 7 is just as good. I hope they go to a different building structure though. I don't like the one in FoE. I really want to enjoy FoE but unfortunately I can't due to some serious stability bugs.
    Thanks for the feedback. The more we have, both positive as well as negative, the better future versions of RTR will be.

Regarding the new economic system - It does have a bit of a learning curve and takes a little getting used to, but once you have mastered it, it does add considerably more depth to the game play and makes your economic choices have much more consequence. Here's a link to the FOE Manual which contains some info regarding the economic system in FOE

As far as the stability issue - you're probably not patched to 1.3. Unfortunately, older versions did have stability issues, with the culprit being the Clone General CTD which reared its ugly head when a duplicate family member, created when the AI adopts an existing general, dies. This has been fixed in the latest build, so I strongly suggest you try it. Here's the link

BTW: Thanks for the heads up regarding the download thread not being up to date.
    Last edited by -Finn-; 03-25-2010 at 03:43.

Hello Skott, always nice to get some feedback.

One thing we might suggest is that you check out the RTR forum at TWC for some pointers on playing FOE. There are a couple threads that may assist in the more complicated parts of FOE.

An example is the recent Gameplay Tips thread made by some of the devs in light of some players requesting assistance in FOE.

RTR VII is adressing several issues, but also adding many features which we are confident will be loved by the community.

Might I ask one thing though, you mentioned that you have heard many people complain about stability issues in FOE. If these issues are with FOE 1.3, might you be so kind as to link them here. Its important that we can read these problems and fix them in FOE 1.4, and make sure they are not evident in RTR VII

Yes, I'am using the 1.3 patch. Reinstalled it all over again but the CTD is still happening quite often. I don't really like the economy building choices much either. I been getting better at it but I can't say I like it. The enemy cities I capture seem to rebel a lot no matter what I do and I can't say I'm enjoying that. I seem to spend more time retaking captured cities more than expanding and taking new towns and cities. I'm just not enjoying this mod at all. I guess its time to just delete it all and wait for RTR7 and hope its better.

RTR FOE was intentionally designed to slow down blitzkrieging. This was accomplished using a new system call Newly Conquered Regions. If the region you captured had a different culture than your own, you would have a difficult time maintaining control. While not perfect it achieved its desired effect. You can also expect this system to be in RTR VII, although it will probably be a bit more polished when compared to FOE.

Quote Originally Posted by -Finn- View Post
    RTR FOE was intentionally designed to slow down blitzkrieging. This was accomplished using a new system call Newly Conquered Regions. If the region you captured had a different culture than your own, you would have a difficult time maintaining control. While not perfect it achieved its desired effect. You can also expect this system to be in RTR VII, although it will probably be a bit more polished when compared to FOE.

You may want to tone that down. Having to constantly retake a city is not fun IMHO. Its more of a fustration. In a Roman campaign I took Syracuse and then had to retake it every other turn even after I exterminated the populace, destroyed all the previous cultural buildings. Finally after the sixth time I just gave up the campaign. It wasn't fun. It was just fustrating. I don't look forward to that in the next RTR.

Your feedback has been duly noted, and I'll make sure it's passed on to the team.