Thread: Preview: Corinth

Default Preview: Corinth

Corinth

Corinth is known today to have been one of the most important polis in mainland Greece. It dominated trade for hundreds of years sending black figure pottery all over the Greek world along with many other exports. In it's time it rivalled Athens and Thebes in wealth.

In the 7th century under tyrants such as Cypselus and Periander it began establishing colonies in places as far as Illyria and Sicily, in fact Syracuse, one of he most powerful cities in the Greek world, originated as a colony of Corinth.

During this time the Corinthian Order was developed, the third order in Classical architecture after Ionic and Doric. It was the most complicated of the three and represented the extraordinary wealth that the city had accumulated. Horace is quoted as saying: "non licet omnibus adire Corinthum", which translates as "Not everyone is able to go to Corinth", since the living styles were so expensive.

Th city was a major participient in the Persian wars contributing 40 ships to the Battle of Salamis and 5000 hoplites to Platea. After Platea however Corinth became an enemy of Athens and took the side of Sparta in the ensuing Peloponnesian War.

After the war and a Spartan victory over Athens, Corinth and Thebes soon became dissatisfied with Spartan Hegemony and began the Corinthian War against it.

The subsequent weakness from the war allowed Philip II of Macedon to conquer mainland Greece.

The Units

Corinth Hoplitai

The backbone of the Corinthian phalanx. These hoplites are heavily armoured with linothorax an attican helmet and a metre wide hoplon and heavily armed with a spear and xiphos sword.

They wear an image of the pegasus on their shield much like Corinthian coins.

Apollonia Hoplitai

These come from the Corinthian colony of Apollonia. Although not quite as strong as the hoplites from Corinth itself they are still a potent force on the battlefield.

Ambrakia Hoplitai

These come from the colony of Ambrakia. They may not be as skilled as hoplites from the homeland but they are very beneficial to the phalanx.

Corinthian Epilektoi Hoplitai

Some of the best hoplites in Corinth. These men are the aristocratic elite of the city and are able to afford excellent weapons and armor making them very formidable foes on the field.

Corinthian Agema

The best hoplites in Corinth. These are the family members and bodyguards of the Strategos on the field. They are copiously armed and armoured and are exceptional on the field.

Hippeis

light cavalry, these men are lightly armed and armoured and most effectively used to rout enemies as they flee the field.

Akontistai

Light skirmishers, they are unarmored and carry only a few javelins. Cheap, but relatively ineffective against the heavily armoured hoplites.

Armoured Peltasts

heavier versions of the light akontistai or peltasts these men carry a thureos shield along with a thracian helmet and linothorax

Credits: research, skining-Old King Coal
    Modelling- King Louise Assurbannipal
    2d art- SkullHeadhq

We hope you've enjoyed this preview!

Last edited by Old_King_Coal; 11-11-2009 at 00:24.

Default Re: Preview: Corinth

pics of the units in action:

I updated the units with new textures (and gloss textures) hope you like it!

We appreciate all comments and suggestions

Here this all corinth pictures are really great updated. i feel happy to being here. I guess the guy who signs the letter to Corinth. Someone from the postal service and the rock, said: "I received a letter for you ... San Pablo. The guy at the church, said, "Yes, this is the place. Is it under your arm?" The guy said Yes, but there are another 12 pills of it in the car! Can you give me a hand? Evidently Paul felt he had much to say to the Corinthians, and why not do it, Corinth was a kind of unique. A Once one of the richest ports and major cities throughout Greece, and the leader of the Achaean League, Corinth resisted the occupation of Rome in 146 BC the consul Lucius Mumius all levels of the city. After completely destroy the city, Mumius ordered the execution of every adult male survivors of Corinth, and then sold all women and children into slavery. Thus ended the rebellion of Corinth.

History of Ancient Corinth

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by melina11 View Post
    Here this all corinth pictures are really great updated. i feel happy to being here. I guess the guy who signs the letter to Corinth. Someone from the postal service and the rock, said: "I received a letter for you ... San Pablo. The guy at the church, said, "Yes, this is the place. Is it under your arm?" The guy said Yes, but there are another 12 pills of it in the car! Can you give me a hand? Evidently Paul felt he had much to say to the Corinthians, and why not do it, Corinth was a kind of unique. A Once one of the richest ports and major cities throughout Greece, and the leader of the Achaean League, Corinth resisted the occupation of Rome in 146 BC the consul Lucius Mumius all levels of the city. After completely destroy the city, Mumius ordered the execution of every adult male survivors of Corinth, and then sold all women and children into slavery. Thus ended the rebellion of Corinth.

History of Ancient Corinth

this mod is dead... T.T

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC