Thread: Warcraft Total War

Default Warcraft Total War

I know this exists in the archives, but its dead and if I posted there no one would notice.

The reason every Warcraft mod has fallen apart in the past is that they have never been a)organized, or b) clear on what they want. Also, most mods want to jump right into warcraft 3 or WoW where the world is fractured, proper borders are undefined and extremely difficult things like hordes of demons are too high on the list of desired features.

I propose a mod set back, to the year 583 in the Azerothian calendar, the first appearance of the Orcs in Azeroth. The history and setting are well established as are the factions, religions and units. The below information is merely preliminary and will require further elaboration.

Part 1: Factions:
    M2TW supports 31 faction slots. The 31st is typically, and logically, used to represent all factions which did not make it into the top 30.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    1: Azeroth (King Adamant Wrynn 3, Queen Varia, Prince Llane, Prince Varian, Lord Lothar)
    2: Lordaeron (King Terenas Menethil 2, Queen Lianne, Prince Arthas, Princess Calia, Uther the Lightbringer, Turalyon)
    3: Kul Tiras (Daelin Proudmoore, Derek, Tandred, Jaina, Kilnar, Finnall)
    4: Dalaran (Antonidas, Krasus, Ansirem Runeweaver, Rhonin, Arugal, Kel Thuzad, Khadgar)
    5: Stromgarde (Thoras Trollbane, Danath, Galen)
    6: Alterac (Aiden Perenolde, Queen Isolde, Aliden, Beve, Isiden)
    7: Gilneas (Genn Greymane, Liam)
    8: Quel'Thalas (Anasterian Sunstrider, Kael'Thas, Sylvannas, Vereesa, Alleria, Lirath)
    9: Ironforge Clan (Magni Bronzebeard, Muradin, Brann, Moira)
    10: Wildhammer Clan (Kurdran, Falstad, Maz Drachrip)
    11: Gnomeregan (Gelbin Mekkatorque?)
    12: Dark Iron Clan (Dagran Thaurissan)
    13: Amani Tribe (Zul'jin)
    14: Gurubashi Tribe (Mandokir)
    15: Drakkari Tribe (Malakk)
    16: Zandalar Tribe (Rastakhan)
    17: Trade Coalition (Steamwheedle, Maldy, Nazz Steamboil)
    18: Nazja (Azshara, Vashj)
    19: Nerubian Empire (Anub'arak)
    20: Qiraji Empire (Vek'nilash and Vek'lor)
    21: Sentinels (Tyrand Whisperwind, Shandris Feathermoon, Malfurion Stormrage, Fandral Staghelm etc)
    22: Tauren (Cairne Bloodhoof, Baine(?))
    23: Blackhand (Blacrock, Blacktooth Grin (set of Blackrock), Dragonmaw, Redwalker, Sythegore arm)
    24: Doomhammer (Frostwolf, Warsong, Bleeding Hollow, Burning Blade, Mok'Nathal, Thunderlord, Whiteclaw, Mag'har)
    25: Gul'dan (Necrolyte/Necromancer, Warlock, Stormreaver, Twilight's Hammer)
    26: Ner'zhul (Bladwind, Bonechewer, Laughing Skull, Lightning's Blade, Shadowmoon, Shattered Hand)

Last four slots:
    Suggestions: Minor Kingdom of Tol Barad, Sandfury Tribe, Timbermaw Tribe, Quillboars, The Draenei, Ashtogue Deathsworn.

Others:
    Forstborn, Ironborn, Vrykul, Grizzlemaw, Magnataur, Makrura, Murloc, Taunka, Tuskarr, Arakkoa, Gruul, Sporeling

The 31st slot is used for rebels, which in this case will characterfully be called 'Creeps'.

As you can see I have left the last four slots up for discussion. I have also broken the Hoard up into four factions. My reasoning for this is as follows. The fractions within the Hoard cannot properly be represented if the Hoard is one faction, but neither are there enough slots or good enough AI to break the faction into all of its tribes, many of whom are minor and have no known leaders. Thus I examined the political maneuverings in the lore and determined that they resolved largely around four prominent leaders even to this day. Those being Blackhand, Doomhammer, Ner'zhul and Gul'dan. It may be argued that this division cannot be made what with Doomhammer being a member of the same clan as Blackhand. However, he spent much of his life as part of the Thunderlord clan, enabling a division. This also enables Ner'zhul to eventually become the Lich King and thus the Scourge faction. The Burning Legion has not been included as a faction due to their influence being primarily through other factions. Thus I hope to represent them as a religion. Due to dividing the Horde into four via clans it was easier to list the clans in each division above than the family members in each.

Part 2: Cultures: The game supports 7 culture slots, the below is merely a suggestion, there are many ways to draw lines about culture in Warcraft.
    1: Arathi (Human)
    2: Quel'Dorei (High Elf)
    3: Kalimdor (Night Elves, Tauren, etc . .)
    4: Trolls (Amani, Gurubashi, Zandalar, Drakkari)
    5: Aqir (Nerubia, Qiraji)
    6: Orc (Umm, orcs, also possibly Draenei if included)
    7: Dwarf (Ironforge, Wildhammer, Dark Iron)

Part 3: Religions. The game supports seven religions which I hope to link partially to magic.
    1: The Light, replaces Catholicism, Archbishop replaces Pope (Alonsus Faol), Clerics are Priests, Paladins are either Bishops or Inquisitors, or both)
    2: Burning Legion
    3: Shamanism (The Hoard, each faction of it, has to decide which road to take religiously)
    4: Troll/Voodoo (Many unique gods and spells but similar to Shamanism too)
    5: Druidism (Includes Elune worship)
    Other options are Necromancy, some kind of atheism/plain magic, and worshipping the Old gods for the Aqir races

Religious agents will hopefully be able to enter a territory and via event scripts cause natural disasters such as earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, flash floods and storms.

Part 4: Provinces
    The map will be based on the Azeroth world map with the three continents of Azeroth, Kalimdor and Northrend in addition to the islands. As the location of Pandaria is unknown it will not be attempted. Draenor can be included by taking the map of Draenor, Pre-destruction, and flipping it so that the Dark portal at the end of Hellfire Peninsula could be placed almost directly next to the Dark Portal in the Black Morass. A province slot can be used to create a barrier around the rest of "Draenor" separating it from Azeroth by all ways except the dark portal. 2 or more province slots will be used for seas to adjust the map for each race so that what you can see at game start is different. Lordaeron cannot see Kalimdor or Draenor, Orcs cannot see Kalimdor, Sentinels cannot see Draenor, etc . . . using the same mechanics as were used for the Medieval base campaign in regards to the Americas. The map will need approximately 150 actual provinces for which there are settlements for all. I have a preliminary rough list of provinces done up.

Part 5: Units
    Units will be controlled through a variety of means. All units will be controlled by AOR to an extent as you cannot recruit a unit unless there are sufficient numbers of their race present would be represented via a colonial/populace type system. Units will also be controlled by religion and reforms. Higher levels of certain religions give you access to more powerful units such as demons and elementals.

Preliminary Unit List:
    Human Nations:
    Footmen
    Spearmen
    Archers
    Crossbowmen
    Knights
    Paladins (require reform, mounted version)
    Catapult
    Ballista (requires Reform)
    Cleric (Very Small Unit, missile weapon is Holy Lance spell, staff for close)
    Conjurer (Very Small Unit, missile weapon is elemental blast)
    Mage (Very Small Unit, missile weapon is lightning Bolt)
    Humans gain access to Elven, Dwarven and Gnome units after certain events
    Naval (Oil Tanker, Transport, Heavy Transport, Destroyer, Battleship)
    Summoned/require magic buildings (Scorpions, Water Elemental)

High Elven:
    Archer
    Ranger
    Cavalry
    Hawkstriders
    Priest
    Sorceress
    Swordsman
    Spellbreaker
    Dragon Hawk Rider
    Phoenix

Dwarven:
    Demolition Squad
    Warriors
    Ram Riders
    Flying Machine/Gyrocopter
    Gryphon Rider
    Rfilmen
    Siege Engine/Steam Tank
    Mortar Team

Gnome:
    Flying Machine
    Mechastriders
    Submarine

Orc:
    Grunt
    Archer
    Spearman
    Raiders
    Necrolyte
    Warlock
    Shaman
    Catapult
    Death Knight (Requires Reforms)
    Ogre
    Ogre Mage (Requires event)
    Gain access to Trolls, Goblins, undead, demons, dragons, Tauren, Wyverns and Kodos under certain conditions

Sentinels
    Trolls (Of various types)
    Tauren
    Goblins Creeps, etc

Flying units are best represented as strong naval units seeing as this requires no extra animation, modeling or skinning work and can still make them an important part of the game.

More to come if interest is shown.

Edit: What I am offering here is to organize and coordinate such a mod. I have limited skills in text and code based stuff but am mainly a researcher, writer and idea guy.
    Last edited by Tanit; 12-01-2009 at 05:02.

Default Re: Warcraft Total War

The fractions within the Hoard cannot properly be represented if the Hoard is one faction, but neither are there enough slots or good enough AI to break the faction into all of its tribes, many of whom are minor and have no known leaders.

I have a preliminary rough list of provinces done up.

The map will be based on the Azeroth world map with the three continents of Azeroth, Kalimdor and Northrend in addition to the islands.

Simulation financement auto achat |
    Capacite financement automobile occasion |
    Calcul taux financement credit automobile neuve

Do want clarification on those points or are you just repeating what I said?

Not sure but I think its a bot-strike; perhaps something to do with financing your next automobile.

Sounds like you have a well thought out plan Tanit!

I have little to no modding ability...but I can cheer!!!
    Ja-mata TosaInu

Blog Entries

Hmm. I have no modding ability whatsoever, or an interest in Blizzard anymore, but this is very interesting. Carry on.
    Last edited by Subotan; 12-01-2009 at 20:06.

Well if you know anyone who does mod and/or has an interest in Blizzard send them along

On the note of copy right and such I will make a formal request to Blizzard if and when I get a team together.

Minimum Team Requirement: 11 - 26

Modelers: 2-5
    Skinners: 2-5
    Code/Script/Text: 3-6
    Mappers: 1-3
    Researchers/Writers: 1-5
    Animators: 1-4
    2D art: 1-3

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

That is a huge list of factions you have there my friend. I would advise you to start with some few core factions first and only later add the lesser ones. I say it because there are only few major powers in the Azeroth: Alliance, New Horde, Scourge, Burning Legion; and all other factions you have listed are minor forces, often without solid background to justify their sovereignty.

Aktacy Bei Member Eastside Character's Avatar

I just realised its a 2 year old topic... should not be closed? Just saying.

Dont... dont make it magic like please. good idea also i was hoping for something like this, u should focus on the start of warcraft 3 with the orcs as a group of nomads in durotar like 2 full stacks or somthin. Silvermoon alied with the dwarfs and humans, also gnomes should be under the lead of dwarfs like the hobbits are under the freepeople of the ( well i dont remember) in lotr TW. Also orcs nomads should be allied with taurens from the start.