Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Supposed to teach...

Default Supposed to teach...

Hi guys, as one of my final prove yourself kind of things for this semester I have to teach a high school class about the Armenian Genocide on Monday or Tuesday this upcoming week. Now... I've taught a class before but it was on a subject I knew a ton about and that was pretty easy and straight forward. But this time around I'm having trouble coming up with a lesson plan for the class on the off chance that I do my presentation too fast and we have a lot of extra time.

Think I can get any help?
    Tho' I've belted you an' flayed you,
    By the livin' Gawd that made you,
    You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
    Quote Originally Posted by North Korea
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Supposed to teach...

Ask lots of questions to the class, and get them to back up what they're saying. You might want to get them to talk about the relevance of it today, and how it affects Armenia now, and the Caucasus/Middle East/Turkey as a whole.

Senior Member Senior Member Beefy187's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Make sure they know where Armenia is first

Talk a little about Armenian history. Their religious back ground and why the genocide took place. Talk about the effect it had on modern Armenia, and how they are looking right now.

You might be able to ask them to come up with some other examples of genocides and sum it up "genocide is bad".

Perhaps you could also talk about some of the refugees from Armenia, how many of them are there in your country etc.

I hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by Beskar View Post
    Beefy, you are a silly moo moo at times, aren't you?

the G-Diffuser Senior Member pevergreen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Slowly opens Rome: Total War on the projector...

Quote Originally Posted by TosaInu
    The org will be org until everyone calls it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    but I joke. Some of my best friends are Vietnamese villages.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemur
    Anyone who wishes to refer to me as peverlemur is free to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy187 View Post
    You might be able to ask them to come up with some other examples of genocides and sum it up "genocide is bad".
    Or, if you're feeling mildly malicious, you could use hard-to-spot logical fallacies to prove that genocide is good, and see how many of them manage to spot the faults in your reasoning. >:D

Maybe not a good idea...
    Last edited by Sevis; 12-06-2009 at 09:49.

Heaps Gooder Member aimlesswanderer's Avatar

You could go to a Turkish nationalist website and see the evidence they have that the whole thing is a massive beat up and never happened, no sir.

Or you could ask them why they think there are people who deny that anything happened and other examples of such "thought" or lack thereof.
    "All things are born from darkness, and all things return to darkness". Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind

master of the pwniverse Member Fragony's Avatar

That is a really hard subject I would avoid it like the plague. Really, you might find yourself to be in a little bit of trouble. Just don't is better.
    Last edited by Fragony; 12-06-2009 at 13:23.

Poll Smoker Senior Member CountArach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aimlesswanderer View Post
    Or you could ask them why they think there are people who deny that anything happened and other examples of such "thought" or lack thereof.
    Now there's an interesting idea - I could imagine a great dialogue coming out of this, assuming your class is quite active and knowledgeable on the topic of genocide.
    Rest in Peace TosaInu, the Org will be your legacy
    Quote Originally Posted by Leon Blum - For All Mankind
    Nothing established by violence and maintained by force, nothing that degrades humanity and is based on contempt for human personality, can endure.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

I did that a couple years ago during an internship to show how battles *might* have been fought in Roman times... Of course it was just my excuse to play RTW MP at school in front of the class. Needless to say, I was stomped miserably.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragony View Post
    That is a really hard subject I would avoid it like the plague. Really, you might find yourself to be in a little bit of trouble. Just don't is better.
    I appreciate the concern, though I feel as though I might be safe considering this was assigned to me by the teacher.
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 12-06-2009 at 21:20.
    It is our military's traditional response to quell provocative actions with a merciless thunderbolt.

Well I go in tomorrow morning. Hope I dont mess up

Went... Meh... Felt more like I was presenting a topic than actually teaching. Probably what it was...

Well, it's pretty hard to present genocide in an interesting way, especially genocide that isn't the Holocaust.

Quote Originally Posted by pevergreen View Post

My Roman history teacher for this past quarter used Rome: Total War on a few of his slides during lectures

He also had a slide of Civ4, it was all around pretty awesome.

As for the OP, I don't know if anyone's asked this question, but how are the students (assuming this is the US)? Can they point to Armenia on a map (I certainly hope so). Do they understand the relevance of Armenia to history as a whole? When I was in high school I found it interesting when people went really in depth on that kind of stuff (probably because I was a history nerd), but a lot of my friends found that kind of stuff really boring.

*EDIT* didn't realize the event had already passed. Oh well, I'd still like to know some info on the above.
    Last edited by Owen Glyndwr; 12-10-2009 at 09:40.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

!00% of the people in the class as well as the teacher couldn't pin point Armenia nor did they know there was even a Genocide somewhere in Europe that wasnt started by Hitler...

Blog Entries

What grade was it?

Old Town Road Senior Member Strike For The South's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Veho Nex View Post
    !00% of the people in the class as well as the teacher couldn't pin point Armenia nor did they know there was even a Genocide somewhere in Europe that wasnt started by Hitler...
    The American public school system. When you think they've hit rock bottom you forget they can still dig.
    There, but for the grace of God, goes John Bradford

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

I still wonder how Western culture embraces the topic like a woolen blanket found in the middle of a blizzard.

This is Backroom material. I simply protest something subject to research and academical discussion to be put in front like "go to some Turkish nationalist website and enjoy what the retards say".

I -as a member- ask for a lock.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    I still wonder how Western culture embraces the topic like a woolen blanket found in the middle of a blizzard.

This is Backroom material. I simply protest something subject to research and academical discussion to be put in front like "go to some Turkish nationalist website and enjoy what the retards say".

I -as a member- ask for a lock.
    To be fair, very few people in the west know how divisive this topic is.

If it's any constellation his classmates probably know what and where Turkey is

My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation.

Boy's Guard Senior Member LeftEyeNine's Avatar

To be fair, very few people in the west know how divisive this topic is.
    My point.

If it's any constellation his classmates probably know what and where Turkey is
    Something gobbling and lying roasted all over the tray.
    Last edited by LeftEyeNine; 12-10-2009 at 21:11.

Quote Originally Posted by LeftEyeNine View Post
    My point.

Something gobbling and lying roasted all over the tray.
    I don't care what Lemur says , you've still got it

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    What grade was it?
    Seniors in high school... Even though it was a continuation school, I was surprised at the teachers lack of knowledge in the subject.

Also LEN, this wasn't meant as a topic for people to talk about the Armenian Massacre, I just needed advice on how to give an unbiased and riveting lesson on a topic my teacher chose.

So, Im asking any one with political opinions about the topic I was teaching to put spoil tags on it or if you really need to bring politics into this, post in the back room. I'm supposed to do another teaching lesson after christmas, so if we have any teachers or soon to be teachers here I would really appreciate some help.
    Last edited by Veho Nex; 12-10-2009 at 23:56.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Yeah, well, how many Armenians or Turks know about indentured servitude or the Trail of Tears (Turkey is more likely to air some insane gunfight between Captain America, Spiderman, and Luke Skywalker)? Armenian history just isn't very relevant to us. And I'm pretty sure it's part of Asia.

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    Yeah, well, how many Armenians or Turks know about indentured servitude or the Trail of Tears (Turkey is more likely to air some insane gunfight between Captain America, Spiderman, and Luke Skywalker)? Armenian history just isn't very relevant to us. And I'm pretty sure it's part of Asia.
    please.... Dont get this thread locked. Leave the who does this and who does that for the back room.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

please.... Dont get this thread locked. Leave the who does this and who does that for the back room.
    But still, why should American students be expected to have detailed knowledge of the history of Armenia?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Strike For The South View Post
    The American public school system. When you think they've hit rock bottom you forget they can still dig.
    Damn, beat me to it
    But still, why should American students be expected to have detailed knowledge of the history of Armenia?
    IIRC, the Armenian Lobby is the second most powerful foreign interest group in Congress (After the J00s), and there's a large Armenian-American population in California.

IIRC, the Armenian Lobby is the second most powerful foreign interest group in Congress (After the J00s), and there's a large Armenian-American population in California.
    Source?

Detailed knowledge, no, but at least a brief reprieve from the ignorance that there is a world outside the US of A (woot!) and that, occasionally, significant events occur in this magical place.

Detailed knowledge, no, but at least a brief reprieve from the ignorance that there is a world outside the US of A (woot!) and that, occasionally, significant events occur in this magical place.
    I'd bet it's the same deal with every country's school system.

Quote Originally Posted by Craterus View Post
    Well, my class at least covered the Armenian Genocide. Not in depth, but I'm at least aware of its existance. I'm a high school junior btw.

So education isn't THAT bad... just the normal level of bad.

I'm a high school junior btw.
    Interesting. When's yer birthday?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast