Thread: Military experience

Default Military experience

Again through a thread in the EB I forum I have a questen concering EB II.

Would it be possible to give FM, who participate in battle a certain amount of military experience, even if they were not the General of the army? One can imagin that even 2 more FM would not just fight in battle like a mere soldier, but command a wing or the reserve....
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

The Rhetorician Member Skullheadhq's Avatar

Default Re: Military experience

Impossible, It's hardcoded I think.
    "When the candles are out all women are fair."
    -Plutarch, Coniugia Praecepta 46

Why can't you have a trait that is linked to participation in battle in any form, even if they are not the commanding general? And then that trait would give command/morale bonuses potentially for when they do command a battle, or maybe just get rid of the command/morale penalties of green generals. It would be just like the EB1 system with blooded and veteran, except it would be given to any family members who participate in battle. I'm actually not sure whether veteran should be given just based on participation in battles and not commanding, but blooded certainly should be given.

I think that in M2TW vanilla I've seen family members who were not the commanding general in battles get traits like "scarred," which gives them bonuses.
    from Megas Methuselah, for some information on Greek colonies in Iberia.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Military experience

Quote Originally Posted by WinsingtonIII View Post
    Why can't you have a trait that is linked to participation in battle in any form, even if they are not the commanding general?
    Because it requires a trigger capable of detecting that? And as far as I know there is no trigger that detects it directly. I asked if we could use "wounded" and "men killed" triggers for detecting that indirectly, but nobody answered so I assume these too are tied to the commanding general.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    Because it requires a trigger capable of detecting that? And as far as I know there is no trigger that detects it directly. I asked if we could use "wounded" and "men killed" triggers for detecting that indirectly, but nobody answered so I assume these too are tied to the commanding general.
    But I thought there was a trigger capable of doing that. I guess I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn that in M2TW vanilla I had seen FMs who were not the commanding general pick up traits like "scarred," which I'm assuming is linked to them losing a certain amount of hitpoints in battle. But I guess I'm wrong and I was actually thinking of commanding generals.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Military experience

Quote Originally Posted by WinsingtonIII View Post
    But I thought there was a trigger capable of doing that. I guess I'm misremembering, but I could have sworn that in M2TW vanilla I had seen FMs who were not the commanding general pick up traits like "scarred," which I'm assuming is linked to them losing a certain amount of hitpoints in battle. But I guess I'm wrong and I was actually thinking of commanding generals.
    I haven't played M2:TW for long, so maybe it does exist (and yes, scarred is triggered by loss of hitpoints). It's still not entirely satisfactory though, as only those lieutenants that get hurt during the battle will gain experience.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

Quote Originally Posted by Ludens View Post
    I haven't played M2:TW for long, so maybe it does exist (and yes, scarred is triggered by loss of hitpoints). It's still not entirely satisfactory though, as only those lieutenants that get hurt during the battle will gain experience.
    Yeah, I mean it's not a perfect solution, but at least this way if you commit a FM or general into the battle and they get wounded, they could receive the blooded trait, because it doesn't make any sense for a man who has been in the thick of the fight multiple times to be considered "green" by his troops. Sure, they may not have a lot of confidence in him as a commander, because he has not necessarily proven that, but they should at least have some confidence in his personal abilities as a warrior. I think it's a step in the right direction if a trigger like that could be used.

Yeah, why not... at least that's how you gain experience, isn't it? By fighting the enemy

EB on ALX player Member ziegenpeter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    Yeah, why not... at least that's how you gain experience, isn't it? By fighting the enemy
    You know you don't become a smarter general by getting wounded
    Otherwise Iulius Caeser was a real masochist.

"A wise man once said: Never buy a game full price!"
    - Another wise man

Lol, no, but you look inspiring to your troops by having lots of scars

Do you have a better idea to give FM the experience they deserve? Let's hear it...
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 12-15-2009 at 15:39.

Quote Originally Posted by ziegenpeter View Post
    You know you don't become a smarter general by getting wounded
    Otherwise Iulius Caeser was a real masochist.
    I wasn't arguing you would become a better general, I don't think getting wounded should give command stars necessarily. However, I do think the fact that a man has participated in the fight and gotten wounded would inspire confidence in his troops more than a man who has never seen a battle, so he should get the "blooded" trait.
    Last edited by WinsingtonIII; 12-15-2009 at 23:34.

Ming the Merciless is my idol Senior Member Watchman's Avatar

...and in any case he now at least *has* seen battle in the first place. Wasn't "learning by watching" the primary - and, when you get down to it, only - period method of training prospective commanders for the job ?
    "Let us remember that there are multiple theories of Intelligent Design. I and many others around the world are of the strong belief that the universe was created by a Flying Spaghetti Monster. --- Proof of the existence of the FSM, if needed, can be found in the recent uptick of global warming, earthquakes, hurricanes, and other natural disasters. Apparently His Pastaness is to be worshipped in full pirate regalia. The decline in worldwide pirate population over the past 200 years directly corresponds with the increase in global temperature. Here is a graph to illustrate the point."

-Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster