Thread: Holiday Movies

Default Holiday Movies

So the Holiday film season is now in full swing. The big American blockbusters are about to hit us, are there any you guys are particularly excited about.

Some of the big ones coming out, and my thoughts on them:

Avatar: This is the one I'm really, really excited about. Looks like an excellent sci-fi film, with an intriguing historical parallel.

Sherlock Holmes: When I first heard about this one in the summer, I was rather excited. I'm a huge Holmes fan. But the instant I saw the first previews I could tell I was going to be disappointed. Looks like it's shaping up to be another terrible American action flick, rife with ambiguities.

It's Complicated: Meryl Streep and Alec Baldwin are up there on my favorite actors list, I'll definitely watch it, but I have a feeling it might disappoint.

Invictus: Morgan Freeman cast as Nelson Mandela sounds like a match (a-ha!) made in heaven. I'm fairly excited about this one, despite mixed reviews.

The Princess and the Frog: I've always been a big fan of the Disney hand-drawn, but I haven't seen a good one since probably Mulan. I'm hoping this one turns out to be a goody.

Up In the Air: This looks like a fantastic movie, I really want to see it (89% on RT)

Youth In Revolt: What could be better than Michael Cera? Two Michael Ceras perhaps? I'm fairly excited for this one, and I hope it turns out more like a Juno or a Superbad, and not like a Year One or a Nick and Nora's.

Those are the major ones I could think of off the top of my head. What do you guys think about those movies. Are there any other films from this year's holiday season (I consider it to be from late November to Early January) that you are particularly excited about/disappointed with?

If you haven't heard of any of these films, I recommend Rotten Tomatoes or IMDb for informing yourself on them.
    Last edited by Owen Glyndwr; 12-13-2009 at 05:30.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:
    The Aeduic War: A Casse Mini AAR
    The Kings of Land's End: A Lusitani AAR

smell the glove Senior Member Major Robert Dump's Avatar

Default Re: Holiday Movies

I will go watch Avatar on a matinee at an early hour so the theater is empty. To say I'm excited about it would be a vast over statement, though. Far too many Hollywood Holiday Seasons have passed for me to care any more. I'd rather troll the .org in a cheap motel in Talala, Oklahoma on a saturday night which, incidentally, I am doing now.
    Baby Quit Your Cryin' Put Your Clown Britches On!!!

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

Every Disney movie was good.

I've been trying to keep up with the news for the Sherlock Holmes movies and though I too was keen on it in the beginning, it no longer seems to be what I was hoping for....
    A few previews I read said that Watson might be seen as something of a womaniser and a gambler, while Holmes would show that his fighting skills are equal to his intellectual ones.

I mean Watson a womaniser? Come on!

The horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.

Senior Member Senior Member Yeti Sports 1.5 Champion, Snowboard Slalom Champion, Monkey Jump Champion, Mosquito Kill Champion Csargo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    I will go watch Avatar on a matinee at an early hour so the theater is empty. To say I'm excited about it would be a vast over statement, though. Far too many Hollywood Holiday Seasons have passed for me to care any more. I'd rather troll the .org in a cheap motel in Talala, Oklahoma on a saturday night which, incidentally, I am doing now.
    This makes me happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooh View Post
    I wonder if I can make Csargo cry harder by doing everyone but his ISO.

Holmes was a superb boxer though. It looks excellent.

I'll watch Avatar and Sherlock Holmes for sure, and maybe Invictus. As for the others, I either haven't heard of them, or can't see myself going to see (specifically the Disney one)

Quote Originally Posted by Sasaki Kojiro View Post
    Holmes was a superb boxer though. It looks excellent.
    But one of the best parts of the stories is that Homes rarely has to resort to violence because he plans his traps so well.

No, this movie looks like it's going to have a lot more fist fights than deducing. And based on the reactions of my non-Holmes junkies, the American audiences will just lap it up.
    "You must know, then, that there are two methods of fight, the one by law, the other by force: the first method is that of men, the second of beasts; but as the first method is often insufficient, one must have recourse to the second. It is therefore necessary for a prince to know well how to use both the beast and the man.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

Quote Originally Posted by Csargo View Post
    This makes me happy
    I couldn't imagine why, unless you like seeing others suffer.

Gnawing hungrily in inconceivable, unlighted chambers beyond time and space amidst the muffled, maddening beating of vile drums and the thin monotonous whine of accursed flutes.

But one of the best parts of the stories is that Homes rarely has to resort to violence because he plans his traps so well.

No, this movie looks like it's going to have a lot more fist fights than deducing. And based on the reactions of my non-Holmes junkies, the American audiences will just lap it up.
    Why outsmart someone when you can punch them in the face?

Master of Few Words Senior Member KukriKhan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Major Robert Dump View Post
    I couldn't imagine why, unless you like seeing others suffer.
    Cuz it's like you're in a Tarantino flick, just waiting for B. Fonda to show up. Or not. Or so we imagine.

-edit- Google can't find any motels in Talala. You must be staying at the Feed Mill, LOL.
    Last edited by KukriKhan; 12-13-2009 at 16:44.
    Be well. Do good. Keep in touch.

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

im waiting for Avatar and Invictus, will probably see them during winter break.
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I'm gonna crawl into my bed and read some Edgar Allen Poe shorts, to get into the Christmas mood.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Azathoth View Post
    Why outsmart someone when you can punch them in the face?
    Do I see a Wheel of Time fan here?

Standing Up For Rationality Senior Member Ronin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Glyndwr View Post
    Avatar: This is the one I'm really, really excited about. Looks like an excellent sci-fi film, with an intriguing historical parallel.
    I don´t get the hype around that movie....storyline wise it´s nothing we haven´t seen before....just from the trailers you can tell it´s gonna be "Dancing with the Smurfs"

I´m looking forward to Up in the Air and The Man who stare at goats.
    "If given the choice to be the shepherd or the sheep... be the wolf"
    -Josh Homme
    "That's the difference between me and the rest of the world! Happiness isn't good enough for me! I demand euphoria!"
    - Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    I don´t get the hype around that movie....storyline wise it´s nothing we haven´t seen before....just from the trailers you can tell it´s gonna be "Dancing with the Smurfs"
    Dig the South Park reference

I´m looking forward to Up in the Air and The Man who stare at goats.
    I haven't seen Goats, although I've heard good things about it, same with Up in the Air.

Did anyone see Fantastic Mr. Fox? I saw that one over Thanksgiving. It was pretty, dare I say...fantastic?

@CCRunner: Judging by your location, I assume you are the same CCRunner from the Civfanatics forums?
    Last edited by Owen Glyndwr; 12-14-2009 at 02:48.
    -Niccolo Machiavelli

AARs:

Prince of Maldonia Member Toby and Kiki Champion, Goo Slasher Champion, Frogger Champion woad&fangs's Avatar

Princess and the Frog was AMAZING. That is all.
    Why did the chicken cross the road?

So that its subjects will view it with admiration, as a chicken which has the daring and courage to boldly cross the road,
    but also with fear, for whom among them has the strength to contend with such a paragon of avian virtue? In such a manner is the princely
    chicken's dominion maintained. ~Machiavelli

Quote Originally Posted by KukriKhan View Post
    Cuz it's like you're in a Tarantino flick, just waiting for B. Fonda to show up. Or not. Or so we imagine.

-edit- Google can't find any motels in Talala. You must be staying at the Feed Mill, LOL.
    Actually, it's techniqally in Nowata, Oklahoma, about 15 miles from Talalaat the RUDD INN. The guy I am hunting lives in Talala.

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Glyndwr View Post
    @CCRunner: Judging by your location, I assume you are the same CCRunner from the Civfanatics forums?
    That would be a safe assumption to make, yes

Senior Member Senior Member naut's Avatar

Avatar? Nah. I'd rather watch the original. Dancing With Wolves.

Invictus does look interesting, and my father is from South Africa and my mother grew up there, plus most of my family lives over there --- so I'm kinda obliged to see it.
    #Hillary4prism

BD:TW

Some piously affirm: "The truth is such and such. I know! I see!"
    And hold that everything depends upon having the “right” religion.
    But when one really knows, one has no need of religion. - Mahavyuha Sutra

Freedom necessarily involves risk. - Alan Watts

TexMec Senior Member Louis VI the Fat's Avatar

I don´t get the hype around that movie....storyline wise it´s nothing we haven´t seen before....just from the trailers you can tell it´s gonna be "Dancing with the Smurfs".
    I'm not really excited about Avatar either. Looks like a kiddie movie to me. As sentimentalism passing for deepness.

Even so, I would'ge gone to see it just for the 3-d, the effects and the novilty of the images. Then I read the behemoth is two-and-a-half hours long. Uh-uh, too long a time to spend watching a movie for the novelty rather than for its enthralling story.

From what I've seen, the world it wants to suck you in doesn't appeal to me. Looks like Pocahontas and her smurfy forest friends.
    Last edited by Louis VI the Fat; 12-18-2009 at 19:35.
    Anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant
    Texan by birth, woodpecker by the grace of God
    I would be the voice of your conscience if you had one - Brenus
    Bt why woulf we uy lsn'y Staraft - Fragony
    Not everything
    blue and underlined is a link

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

ill just wait till they get out on download...

i spent all my money on a new pc.

It has QUAD core... dunno what it is but it sounds mean!
    Last edited by The Stranger; 12-18-2009 at 19:50.

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by Louis VI the Fat View Post
    I'm not really excited about Avatar either. Looks like a kiddie movie to me. As sentimentalism passing for deepness.

Even so, I would'ge gone to see it just for the 3-d, the effects and the novilty of the images. Then I read the behemoth is two-and-a-half hours long. Uh-uh, too long a time to spend watching a movie for the novelty rather than for its enthralling story.

From what I've seen, the world it wants to suck you in doesn't appeal to me. Looks like Pocahontas and her smurfy forest friends.
    See it in 3-d. The effects are enough to entrance you, even for two and a half hours.

This is how movies will be made in the future, after watching it I honestly can't remember any other movie with "impressive visuals". Avatar is the only one that comes to mind.

And I was worried about the "noble savages, wiser than our foolish modern society" going into it, but they didn't make it like that.
    Last edited by Sasaki Kojiro; 12-20-2009 at 01:31.

I think the real question on everyone's mind is:

Are there blue alien boobies?

No, they made them pretty asexual thankfully.