Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Healed casualties

Default Re: Healed casualties

Quote Originally Posted by Jerat View Post
    This works definitly in MTW2 like that
    Yes, if you win/pay ransom.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerat View Post
    but I also think that it is similar in Rome.
    No, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blxz
    Try losing large amounts of archers and light troops but do it late in the battle after other troops have fallen. The light troops seems to always recover, lets see if its because of a value recovery or if its because they are normally the first to fall.
    I have done exactly that. Saka Early Nobles are not "light troops", especially when compared to Saka HA and Saka FA.
    Last edited by Tollheit; 12-26-2009 at 21:15.

Arrows seem to equal units that recover,
    No, not to me. Why don't you do some test battles for yourself?
    Refighting the same battle a few times should sort it out.
    I have done that, haven't I?
    Last edited by Tollheit; 12-26-2009 at 20:55.

We have much discussed this Question:

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    Why is it that mostly light units are healed when the player wins?
    but not this one:

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    Why is it that the AI mostly is able to heal 50% of its casualties after a battle?
    It seems that the AI is able to recover an unproportional amount of casualties after winning a battle. Can this be modified?
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Cullhwch View Post
    Check the AIGeneral trait. I edited the hell out of mine (no more 5 minute fights against the general himself), but I believe that the AI generals get a big bonus to their BattleSurgery stat. That would explain the healing discrepancies between human and AI generals. Remove that line and everything should equalize.
    I think you read over this one...
    Read my AAR:
    The Ferghana Chronicles

(please?)

-count: a lot from Arthur, king of the Britons for some modding help.

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Thanks. Now I can go make all generals recover 90% for realistic battle losses.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Quote Originally Posted by podoh View Post
    I think you read over this one...
    Indeed. What's the AIGeneral trait?

It's the trait that gives the AI generals ridiculous bonuses. Ever wondered why the dude whose ass you kicked 3 times has 7 stars while your continent-conquering badass only has 5? It's because of the AIGeneral trait. The AI also gives similar bonuses to its governors.
    From Fluvius Camillus for my Alexander screenshot

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cullhwch View Post
    It's the trait that gives the AI generals ridiculous bonuses. Ever wondered why the dude whose ass you kicked 3 times has 7 stars while your continent-conquering badass only has 5? It's because of the AIGeneral trait. The AI also gives similar bonuses to its governors.
    To be honest, the AI general deserves 7 stars if he manages to beat the player once.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

Ah, that explains a lot
    Last edited by SwissBarbar; 02-16-2010 at 15:32.

Quote Originally Posted by antisocialmunky View Post
    To be honest, the AI general deserves 7 stars if he manages to beat the player once.
    He'll get it anyway. He only needs to fight battles to increase the trait, not win them.

Thanks and many thanks to Tolheit for his excellent research. +rep, oh wait this is the org not twc. Have a balloon

I had a pretty strong impression that it was the weapon type that influenced % recovery. It always seemed that the guys getting shot with arrows recovered but the guys getting javelined, speared, sworded, axed and above all lanced stayed well dead.

However this fits the pattern of most of my battlesL: missile/melee/pursuit.

I guess its not too bad, and gives one a reason for leading with elites. I suppose a drawn out battle will ahve some escalating chance of casualtuies, not just a linear increase for deaths/time, but an increase in deaths because they go untreated longer.

I can't rationalise that the earlier deaths get healed and the later ones not, except maybe the medics run out of herbs and bandages? Its not that realistic but its not too bad.

Now I just have to stop myself from exploiting my newfound gamelore.
    From Hax, Nachtmeister & Subotan

Jatte lambasts Calico Rat

The heart of evil, to some known as Moscow

could there maybe a difference in healing rates between custom and campaign battles?

Yeah, the difference is due to the General's BattleSurgery stat. That being said, the BattleSurgery stat seems to have an upper limit on recovery. I don't think that it'll let you recover 100% of your fallen troops no matter how high you set it. Could someone test putting a BattleSurgery stat at something ridiculous like 200?

The missile-damage units tend to recover faster, I agree, as well as with the light infantry. I have had Legionary Cohort in vanilla RTW get ahold of my Peltasts, and they recovered just about everybody. On the other had, I have had Egyptian Chariots get ahold of my archers (as Macedon) and wiped the unit out. I won, but got none of those archers back. Too bad, they were in the silver chevrons, with gold sword and shield. I have noticed I tend to get friendly fire units back if not using a fire attack if my units are light infantry. Heavy infantry seem to not get that luxury.
    Last edited by Vincent Butler; 06-02-2014 at 18:55.
    Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight: Psalm 144:1

In peace there's nothing so becomes a man
    As modest stillness and humility:
    But when the blast of war blows in our ears,
    Then imitate the action of the tiger;
    -Henry V by William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Subotan View Post
    Given the state of battlefield surgery in Antiquity, you should be glad there are healed casualties at all.
    Not so. Battlefield deaths in EB are far higher proportionally than they were in real history. And in EB, the majority of men die while fighting. In reality, most men died after routing and being cut down while they fled.

Arrogant Ashigaru Moderator Ludens's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: Healed casualties

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    Not so. Battlefield deaths in EB are far higher proportionally than they were in real history. And in EB, the majority of men die while fighting. In reality, most men died after routing and being cut down while they fled.
    True, although that doesn't apply here. Only the winning army gets healed casualties in the TW engine.

Just for the record: I am not sure that, in reality, the majority of men on the losing side would be killed. I guess the majority would get away safely. This was certainly true for hoplite vs. hoplite battles, where the opposing side could not mount an effective pursuit.

That isn't reflected in TW games though, because the engine can't simulate this. In TW, if the men survive, they can engage in battle the next turn. In reality, the command structure would be in disarray, the men scattered across the region and thoroughly demoralized, and resupply would be difficult just when it was needed the most.
    Looking for a good read? Visit the Library!

EBII Hod Carrier Member QuintusSertorius's Avatar

Let's also not forget how often in the wars of the Diadochi the Macedonian phalangites wouldn't even be broken, but would surrender on the expectation they'd be hired by the winning side.
    It began on seven hills - an EB 1.1 Romani AAR with historical house-rules (now ceased)
    Heirs to Lysimachos - an EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR with semi-historical houserules (now ceased)
    Philetairos' Gift - a second EB 1.1 Epeiros-as-Pergamon AAR

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12