Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a question about Hayasdan soldiers

Default Re: a question about Hayasdan soldiers

Quote Originally Posted by Hax View Post
    Actually, they are speaking Old Persian, which is related to Farsi, but not quite the same.

It is the ancestor of Farsi. So a Farsi speaker would be the only one to really understand. Its like a modern English speaker understanind Shakspirean English.

It is the ancestor of Farsi. So a Farsi speaker would be the only one to really understand. Its like a modern English speaker understanind Shakspirean English.
    EDIT: Actually, I looked it up. You are entirely right.
    Last edited by Hax; 01-08-2010 at 10:44.
    This space intentionally left blank.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Normally they should say their unit name or an alternative translation. Otherwise they say some command. So it should depend on what unit you click or what command you give them. There's a list of all the things they say, but it's rather pointless to post. what unit says it and when?

Quote Originally Posted by artavazd View Post
    I think you're overestimating ordinary people's ability to understand their language's forerunners. An English text from the 11th century is nearly impossible to understand except for a few words for all but the ones with the right education. Modern Farsi and Middle Persian is separated by more than 2000 years.

Actually, nevermind, I found a comparison of a Middle Persian text and a modern translation and they looked surprisingly similar. I shouldn't make assumptions based on my experience with my own language and offer uninformed opinions. Sorry.
    Last edited by Cadwalader; 01-08-2010 at 16:56.
    ξυνòς 'Evυáλιoς κaí τε κτανéoντα κατéκτα
    Alike to all is the War God, and him who would kill he kills. (Il. 18.309)

Quote Originally Posted by Cadwalader View Post
    I think you're overestimating ordinary people's ability to understand their language's forerunners. An English text from the 11th century is nearly impossible to understand except for a few words for all but the ones with the right education. Modern Farsi and Middle Persian is separated by more than 2000 years.

Actually, nevermind, I found a comparison of a Middle Persian text and a modern translation and they looked surprisingly similar. I shouldn't make assumptions based on my experience with my own language and offer uninformed opinions. Sorry.
    May your example be an example for all! Good job.

Artavazd what makes you think that in EB2 the Hai units will speak Hayeren? That would (ideally) require a Hai native speaker. Thankfully, though, you wouldn't really need much of a background in Grabar because your everyday Hai (present or past) doesn't speak Grabar. We speak vernacular Hayeren, whereas Grabar is reserved for the Clergy and for rather archaic, uber-formal texts. Now, I really wonder if EB Team is considering (or has considered) adopting a Hai voice for the units...
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Normally they should say their unit name or an alternative translation. Otherwise they say some command. So it should depend on what unit you click or what command you give them. There's a list of all the things they say, but it's rather pointless to post. what unit says it and when?
    As i stated earlier i think the voice he's hearing goes a bit like "Alahwan Faroz" which corresponds to the "Pahlava_General_1_Unit_Move_5" sound file.

Speaker of Truth Senior Member Moros's Avatar

Ah then he'd be saying: "Pahlavân! Farrâz!"

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    May your example be an example for all! Good job.

Artavazd what makes you think that in EB2 the Hai units will speak Hayeren? That would (ideally) require a Hai native speaker. Thankfully, though, you wouldn't really need much of a background in Grabar because your everyday Hai (present or past) doesn't speak Grabar. We speak vernacular Hayeren, whereas Grabar is reserved for the Clergy and for rather archaic, uber-formal texts. Now, I really wonder if EB Team is considering (or has considered) adopting a Hai voice for the units...
    your right. The ideal Armenian would be Classical Armenian (Grapar) however if need be we can settle with vernacular. Besides having vernacular Armenian would be more historicaly accurate than having Armenians speaking middle Persian right?

your right. The ideal Armenian would be Classical Armenian (Grapar) however if need be we can settle with vernacular. Besides having vernacular Armenian would be more historicaly accurate than having Armenians speaking middle Persian right?
    Exactly, and most accurate would be the everyday spoken word, the vernacular. I would be surprised if the mardig swordsmen company leader had a proper background in Grabar... Like I said, most well-versed in Grabar are in the Church. Get your microphone ready Arto! Haha!
    Former Projects:

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Exactly, and most accurate would be the everyday spoken word, the vernacular. I would be surprised if the mardig swordsmen company leader had a proper background in Grabar... Like I said, most well-versed in Grabar are in the Church. Get your microphone ready Arto! Haha!

Well Grabar/Grapar (Classical Armenian) WAS the vernacular atleast in the 4th century AD. Its not like they thought of a "proper" form to speak. As languages change over time, what was everyday vernacular Armenian during late antiquity becomes "Classical" Armenian today.

Besides having vernacular Armenian would be more historicaly accurate than having Armenians speaking middle Persian right?
    I think they intend to change this when they have the time and money to do it, middle persian is probably just a placeholder until they record a proper Armenian voicemod.

Quote Originally Posted by bobbin View Post
    I think they intend to change this when they have the time and money to do it, middle persian is probably just a placeholder until they record a proper Armenian voicemod.
    yeah I know. foot and I were actualy working on this, but it was put on hold. So for EB2 there would most likey be an Armenian voicemod.

Well Grabar/Grapar (Classical Armenian) WAS the vernacular atleast in the 4th century AD. Its not like they thought of a "proper" form to speak. As languages change over time, what was everyday vernacular Armenian during late antiquity becomes "Classical" Armenian today.
    What people spoke every day wasn't the same as what the texts held. The same goes for today, except you see more and more books being written in your everyday language. The Bible is a major exception, for clear purposes. People didn't go around speaking Grabar because it is exactly that--GRA-bar, written word. People spoke Ashxarabar -- ASHXARA-bar, your everyday, typical spoken language. Sure the syntax, grammar, and vocabulary weren't the exact same, but the distinction between the literal and the spoken has always been present.

yeah I know. foot and I were actualy working on this, but it was put on hold. So for EB2 there would most likey be an Armenian voicemod.
    I'd love to play EBII and hear the voices in Hayeren. Is anybody definitively working on this or is it only "planned" ?
    Former Projects:

master of the wierd people Member Ibrahim's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moros View Post
    Do note that al'uzza and allat were often intermingled. And while Al'uzza was more popular in the early periods (Dedan) it would later become Allat that would be used the most. During our EB period it would be mainly Dushara (edomite god, adopted by north arabians) who represented the sun, Al Quam god of the night and al'uzza godess of the stars and power. By the end of our timeframe it would be allat that replaced al'uzza as being the godess of the stars and the arabian counterpart of Athena.

I know, but it's just a sensitive topic.
    ah yes, thanks for the addition.
    I was once alive, but then a girl came and took out my ticker.

my 4 year old modding project--nearing completion: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=219506 (if you wanna help, join me).

tired of ridiculous trouble with walking animations? then you need my brand newmotion capture for the common man!

"We have proven, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that if we put the belonging to, in the I don't know what, all gas lines will explode " -alBernameg

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123