Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What if TW ended...

Villiage Idiot Member antisocialmunky's Avatar

Default Re: What if TW ended...

Well, that's is a generalization, you are correct except that 'manga' is also an umbrella term for a variety of styles.

But yeah, something stylized may be fun as TW has really hit the uncanny valley with ETW.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

"Hi, Billy Mays Here!" 1958-2009

First post here in years, so be kind...

I would love it if they did a game about the 16th-17th century: Wars of Religion, Dutch Revolt, English Civil War, Anglo-Dutch Wars, the Wars of Louis XIV, the European expansion into the West and East, etc, etc.

Maybe a bit similar in gameplay to Empire, but I was a bit disappointed they left the 17th century out!
    Last edited by Brutus; 01-26-2010 at 21:21.

Welcome back, Brutus!

I was hoping we would see the 30 Years War too.
    Time flies like the wind. Fruit flies like bananas.

I'd rather wait for CPU and GPU technology to advance to the point where we can see hundreds of thousands of well-rendered soldiers on the battlefield. Right now we can only do a few ten thousands - scarce as many as the vanguard of imperial armies in the days of their power.

As for Asia: Total War, I think Elmar put it best - the Average Joe problem is real and exacerbated with high development costs and SEGA. You can make a lot more money if there's a white guy on the box cover. The only exceptions are ninjas, Ryu or fully covered blokes like Master Chief.

Thanks, Nelson!

30 years' War would've been awesome. It would even have made a fitting expansion for Empire, I think, but... oh well, perhaps in the future. I think the 17th century would offer lots of oppurtunities still, so here's hoping for the future!

I wouldn't be surprised if they released a lot of little expansions. It is a rich period and the engine and graphics probably cost a fortune.
    Fighting isn't about winning, it's about depriving your enemy of all options except to lose.

Loitering Senior Member AussieGiant's Avatar

I still think they should do more focused period pieces like Napoleon.

Rather than expand the scope of the games which have nearly been maxed out with Empire, my idea would be to select very specific periods and get into more detail. Somewhat like Napoleon.

i.e. 30 Year War, War of the Roses, Cromwell period, etc etc.

Senior Member Senior Member ReluctantSamurai's Avatar

Default What if TW ended...

July 1st - the I Corp of the ANV beats back Bufords Calvary and the 1st and 11th corp of the AOP (these forces retreat South, cross the Potomac and end their turn right next to the Rebel capital of Richmond VA.

July 2nd - the Remaining 5 corps of the AOP attack the I Corp of the ANV (The II Corp arrives as reinforcements). Things were going well for the Rebels until an artillery battery turned 180 to fire at an errant union calvary brigade and took out Ambrose Powell Hill. The I corp of the ANV retreats accross the appalachians ending up in the area of Columbus Ohio. The II corp retreats N to Albany NY. In the meantime the 1st and 11th corp of the AOP along with Buford's calvary lay seige to Richmond VA.

July 3rd - Longstreets III Corp of the ANV arrives to perform Pickett's charge. It's a slaughter as expected and this stack retreats south west towards Lynchburg VA. The AOP does not pursue the rebels as their calvary ranks seem to have mysteriously thinned considerably while trying to run down routing enemies.

July 4th - Someone trys to move a gunboat up the Mississippi to blockade Vicksburg MS and the game crashes.

TW has already ended for me.....I stopped buying with M2. If someone new steps in when CA bites it, and can produce a quality product, I'm in.
    High Plains Drifter

... Wow, I missed that post. Goodjobsir.

Quote Originally Posted by ReluctantSamurai View Post

TW has already ended for me.....I stopped buying with M2. If someone new steps in when CA bites it, and can produce a quality product, I'm in.
    Quoted for truth. My experience with M2 discouraged me from buying Kingdoms and Empire, and it will continue to do so in the future. Also worthy of note: I wouldn't be able to run anything past M2TW on this computer, no matter how much I wanted to, and buying a new rig is simply not justified by games like ETW at this point.

I have in no way regretted my decision(s), and continue to enjoy playing RTW EB a LOT. I like it so much that I am entirely indifferent to Total War's demise.

I Say CA should think about letting it go... they won't since its probably a cash cow but still, if things are gonna keep getting worse and worse (I don't know if it has really since I haven't played ETW yet (7.2 gigs left! AKA 6 days!)) Then they should just let it go... In like 10 years or so the open source community might take the reins and start making some really good remakes.

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

Sooner or later everything ends but I don’t think it is time for TW to go the way of the passenger pidgin just yet.

In a month or two we may even know what the Next Total War will be.

I am betting on Rome II Total War...that seems safe enough.

They, and by extension Sega, have a significant portion of their hardcore fan base ticked off at the moment, with what the fans view as broken promises and substandard product.

If I were them I would be looking for ways to reverse that, at least to some extent.

It is just my thoughts but what would make the largest number of dissidents happy would be mod tools and showing further support of the mod community.

Most people don’t mod and perhaps most don’t even play mods but they do view it as an indicator of the company’s good will toward the fans.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

I got back into Rise of Nations. Pretty good game.

That it is. Though if TW ended I'd probably curl up into a ball in a corner and whimper, since it is its own genre.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

Originally posted by Fisherking
    Sooner or later everything ends but I don’t think it is time for TW to go the way of the passenger pidgin just yet.
    I agree with you - why stop when they have a few more million dollar profits in them yet? everything in good time...
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Undercover Lurker Member Mailman653's Avatar

Well, there was that survey they had over a year ago, what would a future TW title would be set in. It included some future setting, WWI, Greece and Asia.

CiV 5 is coming out. :)

BrownWings: AirViceMarshall Senior Member Furunculus's Avatar

i'd like another shogun total war
    Furunculus Maneuver: Adopt a highly logical position on a controversial subject where you cannot disagree with the merits of the proposal, only disagree with an opinion based on fundamental values. - Beskar

Jack Lusted has hinted that advances made in artillery modelling in ETW/NTW will be relevant for future TWs. Considering that CA must have already, at least partially been working on it, in all probability this means that WWI will be the next TW game, based most likely on the ETW/NTW engine.
    The Caravel Mod: a (very much) improvedvanilla MTW/VI v2.1 early campaign

Please make sure you have the latest version (v3.3)
    Since v3.3 the Caravel Mod includes customised campaigns for huge and default unit settings

Download v3.3
    Info & Discussion Thread

Blog Entries

I don't know if Id go as far as WWI I think a real empire tw is more likely, Colonial Empires all at their zenith, and rising powers such as Germany and Japan, Id be terribly disappointed if they skipped this period and went straight to ww1

As far as I'm concerned, TW has ended. Empire is literally unplayable due to freezes and crashes. So MIITW was the last of the franchise, never spending a nickel on their products again. See ya, don't let the door hit ya.

pardon my klatchian Member al Roumi's Avatar

Frankly, whatever comes next from CA would do well to be detailed, pay some sort of heed to historical accuracy and of course challenging and stable.

A return to Rome would be ok, if done with a broader and deeper view of the civilisations of the time (less focus on the romanii for a start please), but I agree the the Chinese 3 kingdoms period would be very interesting -mostly because i know very little about it. Sengoku Jidai might offer CA a more manageable chance to reclaim some of their kudos if they were to do it again in style (they shouldn't have to do much more research on the period for one).
    Last edited by al Roumi; 03-04-2010 at 13:11.

One of the Undutchables Member The Stranger's Avatar

i dont see why they can't make a WW1 total war...

We do not sow.

is not a senior Member Meneldil's Avatar

Because the whole trench warfare idea doesn't work very well with the current TW engine? If a TW was set during WWI, it would have to be completely reworked from scratch.

As for myself, TW ended with RTW. I played MTW literally for hundred of hours, I tried to get interested in RTW, couldn't before EB and other mods. Same for M2TW, and unfortunately, ETW doesn't allow mod anyway.

You might see Total War Battle of the Blue & the Grey (American Civil War). Spanish American war maybe, just a couple of thoughts.

I'm with you I think a remake of shogun TW with the way forts and castles are able to be attacked and defended would be awsome. Shogun TW was bad when it came to defending a Castle. Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Meneldil View Post
    Because the whole trench warfare idea doesn't work very well with the current TW engine? If a TW was set during WWI, it would have to be completely reworked from scratch.

As for myself, TW ended with RTW. I played MTW literally for hundred of hours, I tried to get interested in RTW, couldn't before EB and other mods. Same for M2TW, and unfortunately, ETW doesn't allow mod anyway.
    i think you are right there though... RTW was the last great game. I enjoy NTW but i bought it for almost nothing... its fun (maybe im less critical cause i never played ETW) but there is little replayability, little variaty on the map and on the battlefield. and diplomacy is kinda impossible. but then again its been a while since i played a seriously good game... i think Company of Heroes was the last one... and now i cant even play that because of stupid internet registration and stuff... so im stuck playing the oldies, CoD2, AoE3, CoH singleplayer, MTW1, RTW and ofcourse FM2007 haha

We do not sow.

Quote Originally Posted by alh_p View Post
    Frankly, whatever comes next from CA would do well to be detailed, pay some sort of heed to historical accuracy and of course challenging and stable.
    the historicall accuracy in ntw i think is better than it has been since mtw. atleast there are no real fantasy units (apart from maybe ski troops), and the backup info is atleast moderately detailed and worth the read.

We do not sow.

Future USMC Cobra Pilot Member Prussian to the Iron's Avatar
    Out too long in the midnight sea. Oh what's becoming of me?

im hoping for a new rome or shogun, especially since i never played shogun. if not, ill probly just ditch RTS and buy the new Mount and Blade, then see if my computer can run Crysis.
    Add me on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001603097354
    I am an Unstoppable Force, an Immovable Object

Wherever my blade takes me or to school, it sorta depends

ive been playing alot of aoe2 lately. love that game so much.

I was always a rtw fan. Never really played the others but i could spend hours playing that game. Still do actually im even relatively happy with vanilla. what was best was how easy modding was. Wanna make the roman factions have a starting civil war, no problem, wanna have carthage start in Britian, simple. Want to make the seleucids actually survive? well that was impossible but you get what im saying.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast