Thread: Legendary Swordsman

Am I the only one wondering how the legendary swordsman comes from a troop with a big spear? Early in the game, for Mori at least, the only troops availilbe are archers, yari, and HC. Who has the swords the become legendary with? The archers who never fight hand to hand? This is really bothering me.

Senior Member Senior Member Draksen's Avatar

IMO, the legendary SWORD event means "legendary KATANA event"...
    Every bushi of the samurai class has a
    katana (and often a wakizashi).
    When you see a Yari Samurai unit fighting, you see only spears, but we can suppose that they use katana too.

------------------
    What I hate the most:

1-discussing politic with ignorant american teens.

2-discussing politic with ignorant british teens.

If you order archers into Hand to Hand combat they will attack with their Katana's held above their heads....

ALSO If you notice the pictures of the Yari Samurai in the "Strategy Map's" purchase/train menu, you'll see a katana strapped to his waist. While he holds the Yari with both hands.

karoshi Senior Member solypsist's Avatar

which is a very literal way to explain an abstract event.

the campain i am on right now it is only the 4th seson and i have gotten the event to happen and all i had was Archers and my daimyo I was playing as mori

------------------
    Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

I am pretty sure its caused when one of your soldiers gets five kills in a battle. Any soldier will work as long as long as they survive the battle (I think).

There was a thread about two months ago on the same subject. It didn't come up with a concrete answer either.

My suggestion to get the event early on is to use your daimyo's HC to flank a SA unit. It's pretty likely that one of the HC will get five kills and you should get the event.

JoBeare

Only 5? I thought it was more than that...

------------------
    MizuRob Hojo
    Honour to clan Takiyama

Does killing a daimyo count as more than one? I almost always get a LS event just after killing a Daimyo. And don't you just love the fact that the daimyo, alone and surrounded can still manage to wax about 30 of your guys before dying?

------------------
    March swiftly to where you are least expected, and attack where your enemy must hasten to defend.
    March swiftly to where you are least expected, and attack where your enemy must hasten to defend.

Pretty sure its only 5. I got it on my first turn as Mori. Attacked Bitchu(Takeda) used my HC's to rush across the bridge and circle behind Takeda's CA and YS units. When my YS started to come across, Takeda's units focused theier attention on them. Too late they were already across. Charged my HC into the rear of the CA. My daimyo got 5 kills and one other got 5 kills. So my guess is that all you need is 5 kills in a battle.

The only other thing that was surprising in the log files was that one of the other HC had a higher honor rating even though he had less kills. Don't know why that should be since this was the first battle of the game. That is my only alternative theory.

JoBeare

[This message has been edited by JoBeare (edited 12-25-2000).]

[This message has been edited by JoBeare (edited 12-25-2000).]

I can assure you that an archer can produce the legendary swordsman event, even if he never fights hand-to-hand.

I know this from the time I did the whole map with Uesugi archers ONLY. I was surprised to get that event right after a battle in which NO UNITS PHYSICALLY engaged the enemy at all.

It seems to be kills only, regardless of how they were brought about.

JB: Perhaps this phenomenon you saw is related to the high-honour generals phenomenon. If you check up on your generals when you start, many of them have already acheived high rank and have several victorious battles to their credit. I'm pretty sure that this is a historical feature. After all, the wars of the Sengoku period extended well before 1530. Thus, it's logical to assume that there are some veterans of those battles hanging around when you start.

Also, are you sure that this lone high-honour Cavalryman wasn't your Daimyo? That would certainly explain what you saw.
    "If your soul is imperfect, living will be difficult." -- Ryo Hayabusa, DOA2

"Hey, why are the enemy throwing their cookware at us?" *KABOOM* -- Thunderbomber sneak attack!

umm yep

------------------
    Fear not the sword to your front, but the blade at your back.

Clan Shades
    come by and give us a visit
    ShadeLord Shiba a member of clan shades

just how in the hell are you able to know how many kills an individual soldier has made? The after battle stats list kills only by unit. I find it hard to believe that by charging your daimyo you were ableto see how many kills one man made unless he was the only one there, and even then, once again, the whole unit is awarded kills, not individuals.
    it's a bit different when you have a unit of your own against a daimyo, then you can just watch the unit banner on the bottom of the screen and watch those numbers drop as he takes out half the unit before being slain. But it doesn't work the other way around.

OK here is part of the log file. Hope it turns out all right.

Unit Type: HeavCavl
    Is General: YES
    Is Daimyo: YES
    Leader Name: Mori Motonari
    Kills This Battle: 24
    Losses This Battle: 5
    Soldier Honour Armour Weapon Kills
    1GEN....7.......0.......0.......5

Soldier 10 has an honor of 4 even though he only had 4 kills. Soldier 6 has an honor of 2 even though he had 5 kills.

JoBeare

[This message has been edited by JoBeare (edited 12-26-2000).]

The initial hatamoto honor is apparently somewhat randomized: I remember having a hatamoto that had honor 6 at start (+2 daimyô and average honor 4). After all, if you look at a fresh unit's honor ratings, all the people in it don't have a honor of 0. Some may have even 3, it's the average that counts.

It's also possible that guy #10's honor was affected by some mysterious factor besides his kills, something like succesfully resisting an attack by multiple enemies or something. Remember, we still don't know what unit honor depends on, exactly!

------------------
    "If you start a fight, you must win it. Fighting, however, is not your objective. The most important thing is to win without fighting."
    - Risuke Otake Sensei

[This message has been edited by Anssi Hakkinen (edited 12-26-2000).]
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Hi solypsist,

You have a log file in the game directory somewhere that lists the individual stats of each soldier in your army. I think Word or Notepad will open it.

I dont know where precisely to look, but I am sure someone who is not at the office can help.

Lichgod

Hmmm...the only way I've ever seen a logfile was using Magy's little tool. I'll try using a Wordpad or something else and seeing just what comes of it.

The logfiles (found in yourSTWdirectory\logfiles, logically) are perfectly normal text files; they have a .log extension instead of the normal .txt, but that's it. The log readers only make them easier to access.

------------------
    "If you start a fight, you must win it. Fighting, however, is not your objective. The most important thing is to win without fighting."
    - Risuke Otake Sensei
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member ShaiHulud's Avatar

Perhaps, one day, We'll be able to cherry pick units for the high honor individuals within and create A Guards unit.

------------------
    Wind fells blossoms, rain
    fells steel,yet bamboo bends and drinks
    O stranger, Go tell the Spartans that we lie here, obedient to their will.....

Hope guides me Senior Member Hosakawa Tito's Avatar

I received the legendary swordsman event with an archer that had 4 enemy kills and 1 FRIENDLY KILL!He was the only warrior in the battle that totaled 5 kills.Can this be possible or might kills from a previous battle count toward the legendary swordsman event.It would be nice if the logfile showed who the warrior was that achieved this feat.
    Tito
    "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." *Jim Elliot*

Apologies for reviving this one again.

In the last couple of campaigns I've waged I've had the "Legendary Swordsman" event occur after the enemy has withdrawn without a fight or even when I've had cold feet and and decided that discretion was the better part of valour.No battles took place on either turn.

Seems to undermine most of the above explanations.
    "St Juniper once said, 'By his loins shall ye know him and by the length of his rod shall he be measured.' The length of my rod is a mystery to all but the Queen, and a thousand Turkish whores, but the
    fruits of my loins are here for all to see. I have two sons, Henry and.... another one.
    Step forward, Harry, Prince of Wales."

( King Richard in Blackadder)

perhaps it really is a random thing but a few kills seem to help it happen.It has taken ages in some games with several battles, yet one or two battles by an army in another game will make it appear.
    website for CO-OP SP Campaign is : http://www.totalwar.org/maltz/SP_Campaign/.

anyone ever seen an ashigaru get it?

now that would be funny, a peasant teaching a samurai hehe

I think a neat addition (and I know this has been discussed) is a classic samurai sword unit to the game, two-sword style fighting. (Which would increase defense as two sword samurai fighting uses the shorter sword to parry with). This unit should go head to head with monks in an all-factors-even battle, beat yari and archer foot samurai in hand to hand, but be more susceptible to cavalry charges (even from front). Making this unit an equal for monks and able to beat yari might seem to make the game "unbalanced" but making them weaker to cavalry attacks would increase the importance of hand to hand cavalry units in multiplayer, which right now seems nil to marginal. Maybe even to make a better balance between monks and no-dachi, make it so the monks can't beat this unit, but the no-dachi can because of their longer and heavier swords.

I think this would actually add more balance in the big picture as well as increase the importance of two units (definitely cavalry and to a lesser degree nodachi) which are of diminished importance (depending on game koku) in multiplayer.

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Don't mean to annoy anyone but would really like public thoughts on my sword samurai unit idea so I'm gonna re-post that post in its own topic thread.

Sorry to make you read it twice.

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.