Thread: Ninja Woodwind....

In one of the Assassination cinematics in Shogun there is a Ninja with a basket on his head playing a woodwind instrument which also doubles as a blow pipe. I have heard this instrument in almost every Samurai-esque style song and I'm just wondering if anyone knows the name of the flute like pipe? Is it a type of flute?

Also in this same cinematic if the ninja fails there is a pause and a loud thunking noise and the ninja slumps to the ground. What happens to him? I think I play with my monitor too dark and I cannot really see what takes the ninja out, I just hear the thunking noise. I'm assuming it is an arrow from a unseen sentry.

Also I always wondered what those basket headed guys were. I had seen them in pictures and they also appear in Samurai video games. I did some researching and discovered that Ronin Samurai and also Monks would wear these baskets over their heads to signify their isolation from the world.

Yeah, the basket/hat and flute was really common for recluses and beggar monks in that period of Japanese history, but for the life of me I can't remember the name of the flute. I know shamisen is what the geishas played to entertain guests with, though.

------------------
    Goshi of Koga
    Koga no Goshi

I give my Nihon Maru to TosaInu in tribute.

Senior Member Senior Member Kraellin's Avatar

perhaps there is some info or a link to some info in the japanese history section of the sword dojo?

K.

Senior Member Senior Member Ratta Yamamoto's Avatar

Yeah the Japnese monks wear those basket hat during that period of Japan when they travel.
    Every samurai heart is their sword, to lose their sword is to die.

I seem to remember the basket was associated with a specific sect of Nichiren Buddhism. You are most likely correct about its symbolic significance, Koga-san.

The bamboo flute is called shakuhachi, a derivative of the earlier hitoyogiri. It is, indeed, something of a classic in Japanese music.

------------------
    "7. Chugo: devotion, loyalty."
    "It is a good viewpoint to see the world as a dream. When you have something like a nightmare, you will wake up and tell yourself that it was only a dream. It is said that the world we live in is not a bit different from this".
    - Yamamoto Tsunetomo: Hagakure

Senior Member Senior Member Shiro's Avatar

Hmm...seems an apt topic for those wierdos in Japanese History to ponder.

See this topic Here.
    "Everything Shiro said sounds good to me."
    -Solypsist
    "Catiline is the one with the black rag and Shiro is erm...the other one..."
    -Tosa