Thread: Unhealthy climate in India?

Default Unhealthy climate in India?

During my Baktrian campaign I noticed a strange thing. Almost every FM that was sent to India got an "On his deathbed" trait. Is it because India really was a dangerous place for a stranger (you know, some exotic germs) and are there other locations that can cause this trait? Or am I wrong and something different triggers this trait? I think about forced marching and many turns without being in settlement, but I haven't noticed it in other areas.

Oh, and could someone tell where can I find information about traits myself. I have been playing EB for quite a long time, but I have never been interested in digging into the scripts.

my balloons

Sovereign of all England! Member Donkey Kong Champion Arthur, king of the Britons's Avatar

Default Re: Unhealthy climate in India?

Quote Originally Posted by Andronikos View Post
    During my Baktrian campaign I noticed a strange thing. Almost every FM that was sent to India got an "On his deathbed" trait. Is it because India really was a dangerous place for a stranger (you know, some exotic germs) and are there other locations that can cause this trait? Or am I wrong and something different triggers this trait? I think about forced marching and many turns without being in settlement, but I haven't noticed it in other areas.

Oh, and could someone tell where can I find information about traits myself. I have been playing EB for quite a long time, but I have never been interested in digging into the scripts.
    I've had the "On his deathbed" trait in other places than in India, and yeah I think it's triggered by forced marching and having a general who is of bad health and being "Languorous" doesn't help either, I'm not sure if being in India triggers this trait easier though.
    About the trait file you're looking for, I think it's the export_descr_character_traits file in the EB/Data folder, I'm not sure though. Good luck.

King Arthur's Court at Camelot

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Marble bust of Arthouros the Divider, first man to pass a Koinon Law since the foundation of the Alliance.

I have had that as well, as Roman, never as Swebôz ;-)

Rest him a bit and he should be fine.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

You should always build fortresses when your family member has no more movement points, except in the rare case where a fortress would be a death-trap of course. Spending the night in a fortress isn't exhausting (as opposed to sleeping under the bare sky). Build fortresses and your generals don't tire, and won't end up on their death-bed.
    Last edited by Andy1984; 02-15-2010 at 03:30.
    from plutoboyz

iudex thervingiorum Member athanaric's Avatar

Cool Re: Unhealthy climate in India?

Quote Originally Posted by Macilrille View Post
    I have had that as well, as Roman, never as Swebôz ;-)

Rest him a bit and he should be fine.
    I've had that, as Romans, in India. How's that?

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2
    Tips and Tricks for New Players
    from Hannibal Khan the Great, Brennus, Tellos Athenaios, and Winsington III.

Impressive. When my laptop is repaired, I'll see whether I can get my legions that far before abandoning my campaign.
    from plutoboyz

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    I've had that, as Romans, in India. How's that?
    That's just surreal, man. I always play with certain restrictions to keep my campaign from degenerating into a boring, unrealistic blitz.

I haven't checked the script yet, but I can say the On his deathbed trait is extension of Confined to bed trait and appears when FM who is confined to bed doesn't get rest.. The last FM who got this was young S/CH/V guy who had been training for his general career by fighting rebels in India. India is under my control, so he didn't cross the borders of Baktrian empire. I didn't use all his movement points and AFAIK he didn't get Forced marching. After he got Confined to bed he had to march a lot, because the nearest city was type IV and I didn't want him to get Interloper trait. He just spent many turns outside a city. His father had the same training (not in India though) but got Desert warrior trait instead and became one of my best generals. This one just recovered and I hope he has great future, he is like his father with dozen of great traits.
    Age may have an effect, because I have seen old FMs to get it inside a city (but I'm not 100% sure).

my balloons

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1984 View Post
    Impressive. When my laptop is repaired, I'll see whether I can get my legions that far before abandoning my campaign.
    Actually, those troops weren't legions. They were bribed Saka units plus a Client Ruler whom I used to roleplay an Indo-Hellenic Kingdom which was to help Baktria survive (conquering regions and gifting them to the Baktrians).
    Last edited by athanaric; 02-15-2010 at 15:18.

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2

The heart of evil, to some known as Moscow

well, it is definitily caused by forced marching. I noticed those "illness traits" (under the weather, confined to be, on his deathbed) the first time in my carthie campaign and was wondering and even thinking about asking in the forum for proof that qarthadastim were a "weak" people (no, not really ;). I thin I noticed it first as carthie mainly at FMs campaigning in northern africa and spain. It might be also linked to area, but I think the point in your case is that India is rather vast and has got barely streets.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Andy1984 View Post
    You should always build fortresses when your family member has no more movement points, except in the rare case where a fortress would be a death-trap of course. Spending the night in a fortress isn't exhausting (as opposed to sleeping under the bare sky). Build fortresses and your generals don't tire, and won't end up on their death-bed.
    Cool, thanks.

Near East TW Mod Leader Member Cute Wolf's Avatar
    In ancient Middle East, driving Assyrian war machines...
    Blog Entries

The Hellenes are not used to hear Indian- styled music and dancing....

BTW, the larger gap between settlements forced you to rely on forced marching more, so you got more bad "tired" traits. AFAIK, Nomads, Sweboz, and Saby'n are less suspectible to those traits...

My Projects : * Near East Total War * Nusantara Total War * Assyria Total War *
    * Watch the mind-blowing game : My Little Ponies : The Mafia Game!!! *

Also known as SPIKE in TWC

Quote Originally Posted by Cute Wolf View Post
    The Hellenes are not used to hear Indian- styled music and dancing....

BTW, the larger gap between settlements forced you to rely on forced marching more, so you got more bad "tired" traits. AFAIK, Nomads, Sweboz, and Saby'n are less suspectible to those traits...
    Yeah but the Sab'yn and Swêboz generals have a propensity to overdo their enhancement drugs, thus all to often becoming khat or beer addicts, respectively.

Sauromatae and Saka generals are the best movement wise because of the Nomad trait combined with the unrestricted winter movement (only for them and Swêboz).

Swêboz guide for EB 1.2