Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does Comp have Unlimitied Money???

Default Does Comp have Unlimitied Money???

Ok so as Romans I totally pwned the aedui, cornering them in their last 2 settlements in upper west europe... However, seeing as their resources were inadequate to support their armies (they had -2000 income for both settlements), I decided to try and cause unrest in their settlements, so as to not have to conduct unnecessary seiges... YET whenever I would destroy a building with my assassins, they would repair them the next turn, and this went on for about 10 turns,... WTF!!! Furthermore if I didn't destroy their barracks each turn they would recruit new units with the negative income!!!

My question is does the comp have unlimited money in campaign mode??? My settings are h/h if that matters... b/c the only way I see that they could make the money is by having allies send them gold, which I doubt would be enough as their allies were Casse who don't make much money...

This is also happeneing with Carthage...
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Default Re: Does Comp have Unlimitied Money???

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Quote Originally Posted by SlickNicaG69 View Post
    Ok so as Romans I totally pwned the aedui, cornering them in their last 2 settlements in upper west europe... However, seeing as their resources were inadequate to support their armies (they had -2000 income for both settlements), I decided to try and cause unrest in their settlements, so as to not have to conduct unnecessary seiges... YET whenever I would destroy a building with my assassins, they would repair them the next turn, and this went on for about 10 turns,... WTF!!! Furthermore if I didn't destroy their barracks each turn they would recruit new units with the negative income!!!

My question is does the comp have unlimited money in campaign mode??? My settings are h/h if that matters... b/c the only way I see that they could make the money is by having allies send them gold, which I doubt would be enough as their allies were Casse who don't make much money...

This is also happeneing with Carthage...

Welcome to the EB forums, welcome to EB, and welcome to the wonderful financially blissful AI thanks to our wonderfully blissful EB Script =)

P.S. It may be in the FAQ, but the script gives the AI factions money bonuses.
    EB Online Founder | Website
    Former Projects:
    - Vartan's EB Submod Compilation Pack

- Asia ton Barbaron (Armenian linguistics)
    - EB:NOM (Armenian linguistics/history)
    - Dominion of the Sword (Armenian linguistics/history, videographer)

Where can I find the script???
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

The human player has brains, the computer has money.

Where can I find the script???
    The script is already installed. It activates every time you click on the advisor
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    The script is already installed. It activates every time you click on the advisor
    Where can I find the script too? I've never seen it.
    Former Projects:

Pincushioned Ashigaru Member Poulp''s Avatar

EB/Data/Scripts/show_me for the "normal" script

and world/campaign... there's a campaign_script.txt, this one is used to used to set which gov type is available when you start a new campaign.

Ok... so if in the script where it says, for example,

"monitor_event FactionTurnStart FactionType saba
    and not FactionIsLocal
    and Treasury < 5000
    and I_CompareCounter seasonCounter = 4
    console_command add_money saba, 20000
    end_monitor :"

If I delete the 20000 and put 0, does that solve the computer hackzor?!
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

It would, but then you'd have factions that did almost exactly nothing. Those Aedui you faced would be more or less frozen and the campaign would be even easier.
    I don't know if you want that or not so it's up to you, but just keep it in mind.

Why would the aedui be frozen?... I mean they start with plenty of territory and commerce... the fact that I destroy them and cause them to lose that commerce, which causes them to be frozen is exactly the reason why I invaded them... to destabilize them completely... To me it seems childish to play a game where the rules are tweaked so that invisible money is given to the comp just so I can play "cooler battles"... I play the game to win.

However, can I make the adjustment and have it apply to an already in process campaign? Or will I have to start a new one?
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Play the Aedui from the start and you'll see what I mean by frozen. You end up at best with about -15k mnai before you can start making a profit. Granted you can make it work and keep going, but the AI cannot since it is dumber than a box of rocks.

Isn't that a big reason why Caesar conquered Gual?? Because they were such a "box of rocks" that they didn't realize who their real enemies were until it was too late???

-Btw... You didn't answer my last ?... will I have to start a new campaign or will the effects start right away??
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

I don't know, I haven't tried changing that.
    And to answer your other question: I don't know, I haven't studied Caesar's wars much.

Trust me... they were a dumber than a box of freshly manufactured organic donkey manure cubes.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Trust me... they were a dumber than a box of freshly manufactured organic donkey manure cubes.
    You've just joined the forum, but if you keep it that way, you're going to get banned.

Completed campaigns:

Ongoing campaigns:

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

You can't get banned for criticising a past civilisation, no matter how unwarranted it is. You can, however, make an exceedingly poor impression on the other regulars here who would find that comment completely nonsensical and malicious.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Quote Originally Posted by A Very Super Market View Post
    You can't get banned for criticising a past civilisation, no matter how unwarranted it is. You can, however, make an exceedingly poor impression on the other regulars here who would find that comment completely nonsensical and malicious.
    Not to mention hilarious. Props to the guy who came up with 'box of rocks'. Cracked me up...no pun intended. Oh, and welcome to the forums ;)
    Former Projects:

Quote Originally Posted by vartan View Post
    Not to mention hilarious. Props to the guy who came up with 'box of rocks'. Cracked me up...no pun intended. Oh, and welcome to the forums ;)
    I'm glad that my attempt at comic relief reached someone's senses... I just realized how much of a politically correct society we live in when some dude named "Maximum Nike" makes a threat because of a good natured joke... I mean come on... barbarians... bunch of boxes... of donkey manure... u don't get it Air Maxy??? Learn some humor bro.

Oh and thanks for the greetings... I feel so loved. :D
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

I don't honestly see the problem. Most of the AI factions, without the scripted boni, would literally be broke the first turn. Try playing any of the other factions. When they're broke, they freeze. They either throw their armies against the rebel settlements or against their starting enemies, then stop. They cannot build buildings or recruit armies, so they just camp out where they are and acclimate debt. So, you as Rome, get around to invading Gaul and find both the Aedui and Arverni where they started out at, and bowl over them and the rebel settlements, easy as pie. How fun is that? Caesar didn't just walk to the English Straight chuckling to himself the whole time at how effortless the whole endeavor was.

You have a human brain, the least the enemy gets is money to hire armies to fight against you.

If you want to give the AI less money (instead of none at all), you might want to change that 20.000 into 10.000 or 15.000. But as others stated, this will parallize the AI-factions. The Aedui are 'likely' to build a fleet or some elite units and be broke for the rest of the game.

In a perfect world (hint: EB2?) the AI would receive extra money for each settlement it owns. A small amount for Saba and your Aedui, a huge amount for the Seleucids.
    Last edited by Andy1984; 02-16-2010 at 09:01.
    from plutoboyz

... I play the game to win.
    Then why don't you change the settings into E/E instead of H/H?
    I don't get it why you want it to be so easy? I'd love it if I was for example Romani and the Sweboz would dominate me utterly. That would make it for me a worthy competition.

If you do change the amount of money added to 0 then for example Sweboz would be in debt and would never come out of it. The settlement starts with -4500, the AI can't solve that. As a result they can't recruit better units or larger armies. And when you're finally at the borders of Sweboz you find yourself fighting against an army of 6 units, would that be satisfying if you defeat them?

Hi and welcome to the community,

I can't see why changing the script during a campaign to reduce the monetary help would crash the savegame though, the script is read and applied each move and the results of the addictional money is applied each go seperately, soooo... it should be savegame compatible, (but don't blame me if my logic is wrong :))

cheers,

Pobs

You know before you guys assume such factions would be broken - try it first. My protest stems from the fact that even though I have the enemy practically dominated - hence FROZEN - my strategic attempt to defeat them by attrition is IMPOSSIBLE due to the fact that even though each of the AI's settlements has negative income, they get 20000 mnai each turn and are able to repair all their order buildings and barracks the next turn... so I ask you all this, who are we playing against?? A preset game configuration (such as easy/med/hard, which I believe every game prior to this one was based on and which in this game would apply to computer strategy) or a rigged game that attempts to hide its futile balance settings by giving it gold. I read an article earlier where some high level general with his whole army got bribed out of the blue... how is this possible?? Is this considered balanced?? Was it caused because of a failure in THE PLAYERS intelligence? Maybe the question should be is EB really that much more balanced than the original? I mean I started a game with Macedonia recently, and they barely compare in starting strength to Rome... and if my studies in history have led me to believe, Rome was not yet a world power, whereas Macedonia was.

I'm not seeking perfection, nothing ever is. But in terms of the gameplay of this game, I would like to think that even though some factions may go broke or frozen, I still win or lose based on fair, realistic rules. If I put Street Fighter on hard, does Bison take more hits than me? No... he just gets smarter. That is what I think is lacking in this game. The AI gets richer, not smarter... think about it!
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

You know before you guys assume such factions would be broken - try it first. My protest stems from the fact that even though I have the enemy practically dominated - hence FROZEN - my strategic attempt to defeat them by attrition is IMPOSSIBLE due to the fact that even though each of the AI's settlements has negative income, they get 20000 mnai each turn and are able to repair all their order buildings and barracks the next turn... so I ask you all this, who are we playing against?? A preset game configuration (such as easy/med/hard, which I believe every game prior to this one was based on and which in this game would apply to computer strategy) or a rigged game that attempts to hide its futile balance settings by giving it gold. I read an article earlier where some high level general with his whole army got bribed out of the blue... how is this possible?? Is this considered balanced?? Was it caused because of a failure in THE PLAYERS intelligence? Maybe the question should be is EB really that much more balanced than the original? I mean I started a game with Macedonia recently, and they barely compare in starting strength to Rome... and if my studies in history have led me to believe, Rome was not yet a world power, whereas Macedonia was.

I'm not seeking perfection, nothing ever is. But in terms of the gameplay of this game, I would like to think that even though some factions may go broke or frozen, I still win or lose based on fair, realistic rules. If I put Street Fighter on hard, does Bison take more hits than me? No... he just gets smarter. That is what I think is lacking in this game. The AI gets richer, not smarter... think about it!
    I know ure new to this, And I can totally sympathise. I 100% accertain, that the ai faction plays better with 1 or 2 settlements. That is, they actually properly defend their settlements, and send the surplus elsewhere.

To me, their is NOTHING more annoying, than reducing "X" faction to one or two provinces, and then finding they have 2 or 3 full stacks for said provines.

It's utter complete bullshit, but is an unfortunate side effect of the money script....thing is, u can toast those armies, so it isn't that much of a problem....

EB is weird, don'y expect equality. Expect to be outnumbered at least 1.5/1 . And expect to win, otherwise, ure not EB material.....
    Last edited by Drewski; 02-17-2010 at 04:48.

To me it seems childish to play a game where the rules are tweaked so that invisible money is given to the comp just so I can play "cooler battles"... I play the game to win.
    I know right. Clearly AI is dumb so we should just accept that fact like a grown man and steamroll it.... I ride roller coaster to get off the cars.

You know before you guys assume such factions would be broken - try it first.
    One would assume the EB team didn't put in the money script just to annoy you, but because they tested it multiple times with and without and prefer the results with.

But the AI is hardcoded, it cannot get smarter. Complain to CA, not to EB, they have done their best to balance and make more realistic a very unbalanced and unrealistic game. Because that is what they have to work with. There is no other engines to build the EB-EB II on than the RTW Games. It is but a minor nuisance compared to others.

If you are dissatisfied you have three options as I see it:
    1) Play something you like more.
    2) Make your own mod that you consider an improvement on EB.
    3) Find Human opponents.

As you notice, complaining is not an option, for what cannot be changed will not be helped by complaining. As others have said, change the money script and you will have only one viable faction, your own, the rest will be Eleutheroi-like. Try playing as Sweboz for 30 years into the campaign as well, you think the dumb AI could overcome that deficit without the money-script?
    Anyway, my point is, nothing will change no matter how much you complain, for it is not possible to stop. So you might as well desist and look through options 1-3 above.

The day you get an AI that is actually as cunning as a Human, fear, for that day you will serve it.

That being said, and another proof that I am grumpy and arrogant, welcome to the Forum :-D
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

The harder the campaign difficulty level, the more money the AI factions get. That's why VH campaign doesn't work for me. I prefer M campaign. The AI only gets extra money if it's broke, and only a relatively small amount. M campaign is perfectly playable for most factions. I might pick E campaign if I was playing a very difficult faction, like Pontos, for example.

it's a well known fact that the last remaining settlements of a faction are always heavily fortified because of the money script. You can roleplay it as a faction making a final desparate stand. I suggest reading on zaelots for inspiration ...
    Ongoing Campaigns: Baktria, Casse, Koinon Hellenon, Pahlava.

Abandoned/Failed Campaigns: Aedui-Epeiros-Pontos-Saba-Saka Rauka-Sauromatae. (I'll be back though!)

Nobody who has answered to this thread has yet played a campaign with the money script set at 0... You all just assume that the Sweboz or Gauls would go broke... but picture this... lets say the sweboz manage to conquer some rebel settlements, ally themselves with the gauls, is it not possible that they would have positive income regardless of the money script??

Look, despite the money script I still managed to reduce the gauls to their last 2 settlements with negative income. So why would there be a need for a script that prolongs their demise and causes me to do unnecessary things. Again with my allegory, why would street fighter have a script that makes every character of an equal strengh... Ryu > Ken ;) > Blanka > Dhalsim... just as at 270 BC Selukia > Rome = Carthage = Gaul = Sweboz > Casse...

I will restart my campaign with the script set at 0, except for the rebels because I read in the script something about altering them could lead to the script getting messed up... I encourage you all to do the same... maybe we will get some concrete answers to the question as opposed to hypothetical assumptions!
    Last edited by SlickNicaG69; 02-17-2010 at 20:51.
    Veni, Vidi, Vici.

-Gaius Julius Caesar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast