Thread: Errrrr...Aedui...chariots??

Thumbs down Errrrr...Aedui...chariots??

I'm fighting them in my Epirote campaign and they appear regularly...

I thought they only were used by Casse??

Anyone seen this before??
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Default Re: Errrrr...Aedui...chariots??

No no, they're available to the mainlanders as well, though only for a limited amount of time and from a limited amount of settlements. I've never seen the non-Casse AI use them.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

They probably never triggered the Time of Bondsmen Reforms for whatever reason. The mainland Celts lose access to them with these.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

Σέλευκος Νικάτωρ Member Fluvius Camillus's Avatar

Oh I thougth you could only get them when you invade the islands and build barracks there.

~Fluvius
    Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrius
    Oh my god, i think that is the first time in human history that someone cares to explain an acronym that people expect everybody to know in advance.
    I lived for three years not knowing what AAR is.

Completed Campaigns: Epeiros (EB1.0), Romani (EB1.1), Baktria (1.2) and Arche Seleukeia
    1x From Olaf the Great for my quote!
    3x1x<-- From Maion Maroneios for succesful campaigns!
    5x2x<-- From Aemilius Paulus for winning a contest!
    1x From Mulceber!

What? I never had them in my Arverni or Aedui campaigns. What to do to get them?
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

Involuntary Gaesatae Member The Celtic Viking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SwissBarbar View Post
    What? I never had them in my Arverni or Aedui campaigns. What to do to get them?
    It's simple: conquer Bratosporios or Darioritum (or some settlements in Britain) and build up the MIC there before the first reforms hit. That's it.

EBII Mapper and Animator Member -Praetor-'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchhoplite View Post
    I'm fighting them in my Epirote campaign and they appear regularly...

I thought they only were used by Casse??

Anyone seen this before??
    Really? Could you post a pic? I've never seen the Aedui use chariots before...

Yes, really

Their appearance in Northern Italy surprised me very much too! Unfortunately i've
    got no pictures of them rolling to their demise ;)
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Well historically they were present in Telamon in 225 bc :

"They themselves marched confidently out with their whole available army, consisting of about fifty thousand foot and twenty thousand horse and chariots, and advanced on Etruria."

"The Celts had drawn up facing their rear, from which they expected Aemilius to attack, the Gaesatae from the Alps and behind them the Insubres, and facing in the opposite direction, ready to meet the attack of Gaius' legions, they placed the Taurisci and the Boii from the right bank of the Po. Their wagons and chariots they stationed at the extremity of either wing and collected their booty on one of the neighbouring hills with a protecting force round it."

as stated by Polybius.

However according to the recruitment viewer are only available to the south of England and northern France.
    Shouldn't they be available in Mediolanum too?

Voluntary Suspension Voluntary Suspension Rahwana's Avatar
    Abduct Shinta, and doing something bad with her
    Blog Entries

Actually, I also got that... avernii AI spamming chariots on my Lusotann campaign. BTW, they didn't hit the reform yet at 240 BC
    Angkara Murka di Macapada

Quote Originally Posted by fraoula View Post
    Well historically they were present in Telamon in 225 bc
    ...and were also used by the Gauls in Northern Italy in 196 BC.

Livy (XXXIII:37) describes a triumphal procession of one of the consuls of that year following a victory over the cisalpine gauls (its a bit unclear from the text whether it is the Insubres, Boii, or maybe the "Comani"):

"Large quantities of spoils, taken from the enemy, were carried in the procession in captured chariots, and many military standards; also, three hundred and twenty thousand asses of brass, two hundred and thirty-four thousand of silver denarii, stamped with a chariot."

Quote Originally Posted by Urg View Post
    ...and were also used by the Gauls in Northern Italy in 196 BC.

Livy (XXXIII:37) describes a triumphal procession of one of the consuls of that year following a victory over the cisalpine gauls (its a bit unclear from the text whether it is the Insubres, Boii, or maybe the "Comani"):

"Large quantities of spoils, taken from the enemy, were carried in the procession in captured chariots, and many military standards; also, three hundred and twenty thousand asses of brass, two hundred and thirty-four thousand of silver denarii, stamped with a chariot."
    Well that doesn't mean they were war chariots. Chariots as such are still in use today for transportation.
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Well that doesn't mean they were war chariots. Chariots as such are still in use today for transportation.
    Which is why we don't appear for the gauls in the later reforms. They are an early unit only.

Foot
    EBII Mod Leader
    Hayasdan Faction Co-ordinator

Quote Originally Posted by anubis88 View Post
    Good point. So I had a closer look. I found descriptions of the use of chariots in battle by Gauls at two battles: Telamon (see fraoula's post above) and at the battle of Sentinum, 295 BC (Gauls = Senones)

Livy X:28:

"Twice they compelled the Gallic cavalry to give way. At the second charge, when they advanced farther and were briskly engaged in the midst of the enemy's squadrons, by a method of fighting new to them, they were thrown into dismay. A number of the enemy, mounted on chariots and cars, made towards them with such a prodigious clatter from the trampling of the cattle and rolling of wheels, as affrighted the horses of the Romans, unaccustomed to such tumultuous operations."

I'm no expert, but I understand that the use of chariots in Gaul was gradually phased out over time, which is to be contrasted with their continued use in Britain as set out in Caesar's De Bello Gallico .... hence Foot's comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Urg View Post
    Good point. So I had a closer look. I found descriptions of the use of chariots in battle by Gauls at two battles: Telamon (see fraoula's post above) and at the battle of Sentinum, 295 BC (Gauls = Senones)

Livy X:28:

"Twice they compelled the Gallic cavalry to give way. At the second charge, when they advanced farther and were briskly engaged in the midst of the enemy's squadrons, by a method of fighting new to them, they were thrown into dismay. A number of the enemy, mounted on chariots and cars, made towards them with such a prodigious clatter from the trampling of the cattle and rolling of wheels, as affrighted the horses of the Romans, unaccustomed to such tumultuous operations."

I'm no expert, but I understand that the use of chariots in Gaul was gradually phased out over time, which is to be contrasted with their continued use in Britain as set out in Caesar's De Bello Gallico .... hence Foot's comment.
    Indeed that seems to be the case. The chariots proved especially useless in their confrontations with Rome IMHO, so it was a smart decision that the Gauls dropped them :)
    Europa Barbarorum Secretary

Its interesting to note though the king of the Arverni, Bituitos, rode to war at Vindalium in 121 B.C. using a silver chariot. Apparently up to this time the Gauls, or at least the kings and nobility, valued the chariot to some extent to have the notion go to war with one. However, after 121 B.C. or the later era, nothing is mentioned about chariots in Gaul, save 2 chariot burials from the later era iirc.
    Last edited by Power2the1; 03-03-2010 at 23:35.

RABO! Member Brave Brave Sir Robin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Power2the1 View Post
    Its interesting to note though the king of the Arverni, Bituitos, rode to war at Vindalium in 121 B.C. using a silver chariot. Apparently up to this time the Gauls, or at least the kings and nobility, valued the chariot to some extent to have the notion go to war with one. However, after 121 B.C. or the later era, nothing is mentioned about chariots in Gaul, save 2 chariot burials from the later era iirc.
    I wonder whether he actually fought from the chariot though or just rode it to the scene of the battle and from there dismounted or changed over to a horse. From my understanding, many cultures employed chariots ceremonially far after their use as implements of war was halted. I would expect a Celtic king riding past his troops on a glittering silver chariot would inspire his men before the battle. That said I don't know if he would use the chariot during the fight.
    From Frontline for fixing siege towers of death
    x30 From mikepettytw for showing how to edit in game text.
    From Brennus for wit.

A king in a chariot can be seen by his men, improving their morale. Just like in EB. So chariots may have been useful for morale purposes, even during battle.

There's a clear tactical difference between having only the king in a chariot, and having whole units of them.