Thread: recommended difficulty

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

Default recommended difficulty

Did a few searches but didn't find anything recent (I apologize if I missed an obvious thread due to poor search word choices ).

I'm just coming back to try ETW after not playing it for a year (finally have a computer that can handle it). I've heard with the recent patches the game is much harder. I've been wondering what difficulty most orgers play the game at.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Default Re: recommended difficulty

Well I'm new to the game but not TW in general. I wouldn't use harder than M for Campaign if you like diplomacy. Take your pick for difficulty for battles. I generally use M or H.
    EDIT: And the diplomacy is WAY better in this than previous TW games. Though from what I gather the AI is more aggressive (well, interestingly so at least), but diplomacy works on M, so...
    Last edited by LordCurlyton; 02-20-2010 at 08:37.
    Balloons:
    From gamegeek2 for my awesome AI expansion -
    From machinor for 'splainin -

Senior Member Senior Member Fisherking's Avatar

I think that these days most are playing on Normal or Medium Campaign difficulty.

Battles may be changed in-game so that if you would like hard land battles and easy naval battles you can do that before you fight.

You may know that already though.

Hard and Very Hard give massive bonuses to the AI pretty much across the board and make them much more belligerent and unwilling to make any sorts of agreements. You will likely also have your own money problems and the game will seem like it is out to get the human player...which it is.

Even if you play on Easy you may not find the game a total breeze.

Education: that which reveals to the wise,
    and conceals from the stupid,
    the vast limits of their knowledge.
    Mark Twain

Wandering Metsuke Senior Member Zim's Avatar

I see one thing hasn't changed in the past year, at least on anything above Medium campaign difficulty I can't go a couple turns without being attacked. I'll be giving medium a try in my next game and see how things go.
    V&V RIP Helmut Becker, Duke of Bavaria.

Come to the Throne Room for hotseats and TW rpgs!

Kermit's made a TWS2 guide? Oh, the other frog....

Stranger in a strange land Moderator Hooahguy's Avatar

play darthmod, H/H
    On the Path to the Streets of Gold: a Suebi AAR
    Visited:
    A man who casts no shadow has no soul.
    Hvil i fred HoreTore

I should probably try darth mod... But I want to take over the world in my latest vanilla campaign.

I play on VH campaign. I haven't had a single alliance this entire campaign. Everyone hates me and noone wants a trade agreement, even for 5-digit numbers. It wasn't like that at first of course, but I have been at peace for a grand total of 6 turns out of 75 years as Prussia. But I guess I accept that kind of challenge.
    I play on M battle difficulty. Because I DON'T accept losing fights I shouldn't because of numerical (as in losing equal amounts of men in a firefight between rank firing line infantry and militia) handicaps. I would love a tougher opponent if it meant that it out-manouvered me etc, but not this crap.

I always played RTW/M2TW on VH/VH, regardless of mod etc, but I just can't stand stupid outcomes like the previously mentioned shoot-out.

I have tended to play on Hard/Hard. For battles, even on Hard, I can win just about any even match up, and a majority of the disadvantaged ones, too. As for the campaign, Medium is often more balanced and allows for more diplomacy, on the other hand I found it almost impossible to ever lose (or even be threatened by) a war. Every time I would get involved in a war, I'd fight one or two battles, then the other nation would be out of troops and I could just waltz in to his captial at will. On Hard, I have to think ahead, actually plan a strategy.
    "I think it was the right decision to disarm Saddam Hussein, and when the President made the decision, I supported him, and I support the fact that we did disarm him." Senator John Kerry, May 4, 2003

"It's the wrong war, in the wrong place at the wrong time." Senator John Kerry, 7 September, 2004

Hi i am new to this games so give me some guide lines.

thansk

links of london
    links of london
    links of london
    links of london
    Last edited by Russell123; 03-31-2011 at 07:58.
    Russell

It depends. How good would you say you are at these games?

Grand Patron's Banner Bearer Senior Member Peasant Phill's Avatar
    Somewhere relatively safe, behind some one else, preferably at the back
    Blog Entries

Even if you're new to these game, I would start at medium overall. On medium it's a level playing ground. Don't shy away because you think it will be to difficult. You'll learn much quicker when you lose now and then, as long as you can see where you went wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone
    Someone has to watch over the wheat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TinCow
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

Pleasing the Fates Senior Member A Nerd's Avatar

I play at M/M. For as others have said, diplomacy is better (especially those important trade agreements), the rate at which the AI attacks me seems managable with armie, navies, finances, etc., and I don't like bonuses given to the AI. Also, as before mentioned, I don't want the battlefield AI to have any bonuses either! All in all, I've had several entertaining campaings playing vanilla at the M/M difficulty level.
    Silence is beautiful

I'd start at Medium/Medium and then progress up to Hard/Hard in Prestige Mode. For some reason prestige mode has much more sane AI at Hard than any of the other modes.

i am new to this game the initial preset difficulty level is too much for me how can i reduce it
    PATRICK THOMSON

Blog Entries

When you start a new campaign you should see 2 sliders that you can change the difficulty with.
    A word of advice though, read a beginners' guide and try it again on normal difficulty or at least change as soon as you're comfortable with what you're doing. It just isn't fun if there isn't a challenge.
    We've made our walls sufficiently thick that we don't even hear the wet thuds of them bashing their brains against the outer wall and falling as lifeless corpses into our bottomless moat.

I am playing a Swedish campaign H/H.

It seems a good balance, although I have no allies at all....

VH/VH makes it unfair against you.

Edit:

After playing for 45 years I have realized that diplomacy is horribly weighted against the player even on H campaign difficulty. I have read that this is the case in quite a few threads posted on this forum. The battle difficulty is not as bad though, so if you want a fair challenge... H/M
    Last edited by Alexander XXI; 06-11-2010 at 07:38.

[I couldn’t agree more on what you said. If you choose the hard settings for your campaign, diplomacy will be impossible.. You will end up attacked by everyone and will have to fight countless battles each and every turn of the game. If you go for medium on the other hand, you will find diplomacy more realistic and will be able to "create your own difficulties" according to your own will, playing a more flexible game. You will be able to back up your allies properly until the end of the game; will be able to experiment different strategies and will not need to stab allies on the back in order to win the game. Despite CA´s improvements towards diplomatic, political and economical issues, there is still need for more. You should be able, for instance, to support your enemy’s enemy on war, or to destroy your enemies’ farms, blockade their ports and destroy their economy, therefore forcing them to sign a deal etc... Diplomacy and strategy is better than it was before but not good enough yet.

If you want to have fun while playing - and not simply beating at any cost the computer in order to win the game doesn’t matter what - I would recommend exactly as Lord Curlyton said: M/M or M/H.

So, Campaign Difficulty mostly affects diplomacy (bargains, how much factions hate you, how likely it is you'll get war declared on you, and how hard it will be to get any other nation to agree to anything) and Battle Difficulty affects, what, the stats of the AI units?

I'd like to know what is changing when I adjust the difficulty so I know whether it will have the effect I want. If all it does is make weak units strong and gives the AI factions tons of money, I'd like to know that.
    Fac et Spera

Blog Entries

You're right about the campaign difficulty. The Battle difficulty influences bonuses on the stats of your or the AI's units.

Iron Chef Wannabe Member Fookison's Avatar

I enjoy playing at M/VH. That gives me the greatest balance in the game for my playing style.

darthmod should be good.
    Regards
    | Fully Managed VPS Hosting and Dedicated Servers from cyberls.com |