Thread: Carthage wants me to become their protectorate (Romanii)

Default Carthage wants me to become their protectorate (Romanii)

So I was doing my typical Roman expansion, fighting the Spanish, some Celts, and skirmishes with Carthage.

I let them conquer much of Sicily and the Southern part of Italy. Then their diplomat offers that I become their protectorate.

Should I do it? I did a test and when I did, I instantly became chummy buddies with them, and my war with the Adeui ceased instantly, with Adeui being on good terms with me offering trade rights, alliances, etc

So I was thinking, if I don't have to pay them tribute, becoming their protectorate would be pretty awesome...I'll have years of peace, and I'll let them rebuild before I knock them down again.
    Do you know if the human player becomes the AI's protectorate, would they break their own treaties and attack me again?

*btw, Carthage and the Greeks expanded nicely since I initially was playing as Greece and expanded like crazy, then switched to Carthage and expanded like crazy, then switched to Romanii.

Update: All slides:
    https://img138.imageshack.us/slidesh...d=30470022.jpg

So I accepted their protectorate demands, but I managed to bargain 4000 minai from them. :D
    Then I accepted a peace/trade proposal from Carthage's allies the Adeui.

Then the very next turn, I turned on my so-called benefactor, attacked their armies and slaughtered their general.

Treachery and deceit, it's the Romanii way! :D For da lulz...
    Last edited by Intranetusa; 02-22-2010 at 03:39.
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein

Default Re: Carthage wants me to become their protectorate (Romanii)

In my experience every protectorate agreement I've agreed to ended up with me being betrayed a turn later. Maybe this won't be the case with you, although having to pay tribute is a pain and not really worth the trouble.

Slixpoitation Member A Very Super Market's Avatar
    Vancouver, BC, Canada, North America, Terra, Sol, Milky Way, Local Cluster, Universe

Your general seems to be bit socially awkward and that diplomat is rather intimidating. I say you should take the offer. And then have the more competent FMs rage.
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    WELCOME TO AVSM
    Cool store, bro! I want some ham.
    No ham, pepsi.
    They make deli slices of frozen pepsi now? Awesome!
    You also need to purchase a small freezer for storage of your pepsi.
    It runs on batteries. You'll need a few.
    Uhh, I guess I won't have pepsi then. Do you have change for a twenty?
    You can sift through the penny jar
    ALL WILL BE CONTINUED

- Proud Horseman of the Presence

Do not do it, though AVSM's suggestion is fun.

Lots of dead factions in your game. I rarely see that many die that fast unless I kill them.
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Cool Carthage expansion!

You should not become protectorate. AFAIK you'll pay tribute automatically (even though there's no demand for tribute for so and so many turns), don't you?
    Balloon-Count: x 15

Many thanks to Hooahguy for this great sig.

NO! Rome should never be anyone's protectorate! Be a true Roman, and never make peace no matter what the strategic situation.

Carthage MUST BE DESTROYED!

Thats the spirit :-D
    'For months Augustus let hair and beard grow and occasionally banged his head against the walls whilst shouting; "Quinctillius Varus, give me my legions back"' -Sueton, Augustus.

"Deliver us oh God, from the fury of the Norsemen", French prayer, 9th century.
    Ask gi'r klask! ask-vikingekampgruppe.dk

Balloon count: 13

Quote Originally Posted by Titus Marcellus Scato View Post
    NO! Rome should never be anyone's protectorate! Be a true Roman, and never make peace no matter what the strategic situation.

Carthage MUST BE DESTROYED!
    Indeed! What would Cato the Elder do if he saw you submitting to foreigners, Intranetusa. You fight for your country, for the state and for your ancestors like a good Roman. Let's here no more talk of submitting to those puny punics. Ceterum Censeo Carthaginem Esse Delendam! -M
    My Balloons:

All slides:
    https://img138.imageshack.us/slidesh...d=30470022.jpg

So I accepted their protectorate demands, but I managed to bargain 4000 minai from them. :D
    Then I accepted a peace/trade proposal from Carthage's allies the Adeui.

Then the very next turn, I turned on my so-called benefactor, attacked their armies and slaughtered their general.

Treachery and deceit, it's the Romanii way! :D For da lulz...
    Last edited by Intranetusa; 02-22-2010 at 03:39.
    "Science without religion is lame. Religion without science is blind...but there is one thing that science cannot accept - and that is a personal God who meddles in the affairs of his creation."
    -Albert Einstein