Thread: Hiding Traits causes CTD?

Default Hiding Traits causes CTD?

I'm fairly new to modding RTW/EB, and I recently (yesterday) decided that I wanted to "Hide" a number of the Character Traits in EB.... So just add "Hidden" below the Characters Type line, right? Well, I did that and it now causes CTD's when I start a new Campaign.
    I'm probably missing a step, or need to edit a second file, but I'm not sure what it could be.

Any help? I've looked around at the forums here but couldn't find anything about this.

Default Re: Hiding Traits causes CTD?

Put a ; in front of what you want to be ignored or am I misunderstanding you

That will remove the trait, all he wan't to do is not have them show up on a trait list.

Corncering the OP what program are you using to edit the files? If its notepad then thats your problem, it screws up the formatting of the files, you want to use a more advanced text editor like Notepad++.

I've not had any problem with Editing the Buildings, Units, or Cultures files. In fact, I probably have made some tweaks, in the past, to some of the Traits; without causing the Crash to Desktop. You are right, having the format screwed up can cause problems; but I don't believe that's the problem in this case.

My guess is that some of the traits I want hidden are announced in event types of ways - I really can't be bothered to troubleshoot it because it takes 15 minutes to load up EB each time. I was hoping that someone had the answer ready, but I guess not. I'll live with the long lists of "Too Much Information".

I don't think its that, all traits have event descriptions whether they are hidden or not.

It's probably the program your using, the trait file is definitely one of the files (i think ancillaries is another) that gets broken if edited with simple text editors, the others you mentioned can be changed in notepad without breaking them.

Ok, I'll chase down Notepad++ and see if that works.

I'll respond with my findings.

As my newest edit works, it appears that the Text Editor was the problem.

Thank you for your help.

Glad to be of service.