Thread: DH needs some name changing help.

Default DH needs some name changing help.

Hello all,

In my Epirote campaign i've pushed the romans back to Arretium and Ariminum. I want to change them in some kind of Etruscan-Roman republic and leave them alone for the moment.

So I need a name for this……..errr…..Etruscan-Roman republic and some suitable changed names (and maybe descriptions) for their units.

Thanks,

DH
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

Default Re: DH needs some name changing help.

Try this site on the Etruscans, the page on Language looks very good!

http://www.mysteriousetruscans.com/

How about the Duodecim Populi Etruriae, the Latin name for the old Etruscan league of Etruria? Some info from Wiki:

All the city-states of the Etruscans were gathered into confederacies, or “leagues”. The sources tell us there were three. A league for unknown reasons, likely religious, had to include 12 city-states. The word for league was also mech. Once a year the states met at a fanu, or sacred place (Latin fanum) to discuss military and political affairs, and also to choose a lucumo, “ruler”, who held the office for one year. What he did is described by the infinitive, lucair, “to rule.” The Etrurian confederacy met at the fanum Voltumnae, the "shrine of Voltumna". Their league was called the “duodecim populi Etruriae” or the “twelve peoples of Etruria”.

But that's a name for just Etruscans, not Etruscans plus Latins plus Romans, which is what this new state will be.

Etruscans will be an ethnic minority in this new state.

That site about the Etruscans looks interesting!
    I love the smell of bronze in the morning!

Campaigns completed: Vanilla Seleucid, EB 1.2. Carthaginian, RSII Pergamon

But that's a name for just Etruscans, not Etruscans plus Latins plus Romans, which is what this new state will be.

Etruscans will be an ethnic minority in this new state.
    Actually, with the loss of Latium and southern Italy, Etruscans would form the majority of the population. Latins and Romans would likely only form the upper strata of the ruling class, and perhaps the elite corps of the army. The name is regional and historical, not necessarily ethnic since it's in Latin and not in the Etruscan language.